PDA

View Full Version : Bedard

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2010, 01:32 AM
He's awful.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/102675289.html

When we last saw the secondary of the Green Bay Packers, they were trying to put out the fire on their collective backs after being torched by Arizona's Kurt Warner for 379 passing yards and five touchdowns in a 51-45 overtime loss in an NFC wild-card playoff game.

Three weeks prior, in the last meaningful matchup of the regular season, the Packers surrendered 503 yards and three touchdowns through the air to Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

That's a combined 882 yards and eight touchdowns in two important games.

To put that into perspective, if you picked the best two games of Aaron Rodgers' Pro Bowl season, you'd still come out more that two 80-yard drives short (718 yards and six touchdowns).

Wrong. In those same games, ARod passed for 806 yards and 7 TDs (423 and 4 vs. Arizona and 383 and 3 vs. Pittsburgh).

Tony Oday
09-11-2010, 01:39 AM
He's awful.

When we last saw the secondary of the Green Bay Packers, they were trying to put out the fire on their collective backs after being torched by Arizona's Kurt Warner for 379 passing yards and five touchdowns in a 51-45 overtime loss in an NFC wild-card playoff game.

Three weeks prior, in the last meaningful matchup of the regular season, the Packers surrendered 503 yards and three touchdowns through the air to Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

To put that into perspective, if you picked the best two games of Aaron Rodgers' Pro Bowl season, you'd still come out more that two 80-yard drives short (718 yards and six touchdowns).

Wrong. In those same games, ARod passed for 806 yards and 7 TDs (423 and 4 vs. Arizona and 383 and 3 vs. Pittsburgh).

STOP USING FACTS TT SUCKS AND THE PACK IS TERRIBLE!!!!

channtheman
09-11-2010, 01:51 AM
I'm guessing his stat "2 best games" was by rating or something where another game was a little bit higher QB rating.

Patler
09-11-2010, 02:10 AM
He's awful.

Not only did he forget to consider Rodgers' playoff game (amazing in itself because he was comparing to a playoff game) but in the games he did use for Rodgers, he apparently used the net passing yards (gross yards on completions-sack yards). For Roethlisberger and Warner he combined their gross yards, ignoring the sack yards.

It has gotten to the point that I skip over many of his articles, and I question (doubt) the "facts" he prints in the few that I do read.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm guessing his stat "2 best games" was by rating or something where another game was a little bit higher QB rating.

He didn't mention QB rating once, and those weren't his two highest rated games. 121.4 vs. Arizona and 101.3 vs. Pittsburgh. Games in which he had a QB rating better than 101.3:

St. Louis - 126.9
Minnesota - 110.6
Detroit - 113.7
Cleveland - 155.4
Minnesota - 108.5
San Fran - 108.0
Detroit - 124.7
Seattle - 103.0
Arizona - 117.1

By rating, the Arizona game was his 4th highest rated game and the Pittsburgh game was his 11th rated game. (Hard to imagine a guy can have a 101.3 rating and have it be his 6th worst rated game of the year.)

Patler
09-11-2010, 02:16 AM

I think he just looked at the 16 game stats, picked the ones with the most TD passes, then selected the two with the highest passing yards (342 net vs. Detroit and 376 net vs. Pit.) That gives him the 718 yards. But, as I mentioned earlier, he used Rodgers' net yards to compare to gross yards for Roethlisberger and Warner, in addition to ignoring Rodgers playoff game as Harvey reported.

Tarlam!
09-11-2010, 03:31 AM
You're a tough taskmaster, Harvey.

He got a couple of facts wrong, but us fans have been concerned about this very issue for months. I think he aired a lot of their views.

Patler
09-11-2010, 03:54 AM
You're a tough taskmaster, Harvey.

He got a couple of facts wrong, but us fans have been concerned about this very issue for months. I think he aired a lot of their views.

Ya Tar, I guess there is no reason to expect the primary reporter for an NFL team at a major newspaper to have his facts right! :lol:

Compare the two:

What he did write:

To put that into perspective, if you picked the best two games of Aaron Rodgers' Pro Bowl season, you'd still come out more that two 80-yard drives short (718 yards and six touchdowns)

What he SHOULD have written:

To put that into perspective, if you picked the best two games of Aaron Rodgers' Pro Bowl season (which happen to be the same games), you'd come out less than one 80-yard drive short (806 yards and seven touchdowns)

"...more than two 80 yard drives short" versus "...less than one 80 yard drive short". Just a bit of a difference I would say. If he is correct about the issue, he loses any value by being careless with the supporting facts. Perhaps he should have looked to other facts to support his point, because using Rodgers stats accurately sure would not have done it.

I think it is particularly ludicrous that it is Rodgers stats for the same exact games that he should have used, and that would have diluted his argument significantly.

Tarlam!
09-11-2010, 04:18 AM
I get it, Patler, but the point of the article was the CB depth. Not a lot of fans are like you and Harvey in the incredible detail you can bring to the table.

I doubt many NFL reporters are in your league.

CaptainKickass
09-11-2010, 04:38 AM
I get it, Patler, but the point of the article was the CB depth. Not a lot of fans are like you and Harvey in the incredible detail you can bring to the table.

True.

But I for one come to the chat boards for just this reason. To get more in depth and granular. I'm not much to post, but if it weren't for these sites I'd never know how much Bedard truly does suck.

Patler
09-11-2010, 05:12 AM

Thanks, but this isn't even detail, its gross, primary level stats from 17 games; and he couldn't (or chose not to) use it accurately. My biggest concern here is that it might have been intentional.

He could have approached the issue from so many other ways, comparing their good performances to their bad ones, looking at their inconsistency versus that of other teams, looking at the cause, proposing bypassed solutions, etc. Instead, he chose to use a foundation of his own making that was not suitable.

CaptainKickass
09-11-2010, 05:15 AM
I am also retarded like Bedards employer. (Does that make 'em "Bedarded"??) If I weren't - I'd hire out some freelance factual/statistical verification work to a couple internet forum posters I know of.

Patler
09-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Congrats Harvey! You got him to change it! It now reads:

To put that into perspective, if you picked the best two games of Aaron Rodgers' Pro Bowl season (806 yards and seven touchdowns), you'd still come out short.

"...you'd still come up short." :lol:

RashanGary
09-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Motivation for sucking so bad:

1. Lazy
2. Sell Papers
3. Stupid
4. Angry at Ted for various reasons (not giving them stories, info, etc)
5. Unwilling to admit when they're wrong

I'm sure the list could go on, but I guess at the end of the day we'll never know exactly why they suck so bad. What we do know is that they suck. It is what it is I suppose.

LP
09-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Just in case anyone hasn't checked lately, Waldo is back updating his blog. Very interesting perspective I thought. Trying to post a link, but I'm far beyond ignorant with a computer. (And most other things too.)

http://waldo56.wordpress.com/

mraynrand
09-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Rodgers stats look more impressive when you look at them through binoculars.

vince
09-11-2010, 03:09 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/bedard2.jpg

3irty1
09-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Whoever it was a week ago or so that blamed TT for Bedard sucking hit it right on the head I believe. TT is a sports writers worst nightmare. He makes your job impossible giving you the option to speculate like crazy and piss negativity which is fun to read and write, or drown us in homerism. The problem with Bedard is that he has little more information than we do and thus his articles are worse than our discussions.

retailguy
09-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Whoever it was a week ago or so that blamed TT for Bedard sucking hit it right on the head I believe. TT is a sports writers worst nightmare. He makes your job impossible giving you the option to speculate like crazy and piss negativity which is fun to read and write, or drown us in homerism. The problem with Bedard is that he has little more information than we do and thus his articles are worse than our discussions.

there is a lot of truth to this, and it's clear that Bedard takes a negative view of team management for reasons that may have nothing to do with football directly.

Bedard is an idiot but still a better reporter/analyst than Lori Nickel will ever be.

I miss cliffy. :( Crusty too. :whist:

denverYooper
09-11-2010, 04:55 PM

Where did that come from?

falco
09-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Cliffy was the best football journalist I've ever read. The only other one I really enjoy is Don Banks at SI.

falco
09-11-2010, 05:45 PM
The guy who does the ESPN NFC North blog is a nice read too, though I haven't been following him that long.

vince
09-11-2010, 09:26 PM

Where did that come from?
The interwebs. I don't know where I find most of the crap I keep. I think some tweeter was mocking Bedard for something else stupid that he said and made it.

Administrator
09-11-2010, 10:21 PM
The guy who does the ESPN NFC North blog is a nice read too, though I haven't been following him that long.

I agree, his stuff isn't bad. He's a bit bland, but it probably isn't easy to write all that stuff either.

Guiness
09-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Just in case anyone hasn't checked lately, Waldo is back updating his blog. Very interesting perspective I thought. Trying to post a link, but I'm far beyond ignorant with a computer. (And most other things too.)

I hear what he's saying...Warner played out of this world in that game, and Warner can definitely do that. We shouldn't assume any good QB will rip us apart like that.

I can live with that, but what gets me more is what Roethlisberger did to us. That worries me, and I have more trouble understanding it.

bobblehead
09-12-2010, 04:54 AM

Has he admitted he was wrong about Giacominni being PS eligible yet?

bobblehead
09-12-2010, 04:57 AM

I hear what he's saying...Warner played out of this world in that game, and Warner can definitely do that. We shouldn't assume any good QB will rip us apart like that.

I can live with that, but what gets me more is what Roethlisberger did to us. That worries me, and I have more trouble understanding it.

I'm trying to find all the good examples of defenses that consistently stop great QBs.

MichiganPackerFan
09-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Cliffy was the best football journalist I've ever read....

Completely and fully agree. I LOVE the uncensored version we get when he graces us with his presence here. I have learned so much about the game from him, and it just leaves me thirsty for more!

With so much free information available online, I am loath to pay for anything. However, a continuing column from Cliff err Cleft would be dollars well spent. (Hint Hint)

Smidgeon
09-12-2010, 10:18 AM

You mean the non-called hold against Cullen Jenkins on the game-winning touchdown? Like that?