PDA

View Full Version : Pep, pep HURRAH for Peprah!

mmmdk
09-11-2010, 03:54 AM
Charlie Peprah is now # 3 safety on the depth chart...his only start as an NFL player came in 2008 at Lambeau vs Falcons and I witnessed it. :cry:

I'm NOT impressed by the 2010 Packers D depth - especially the secondary.

Tarlam!
09-11-2010, 04:23 AM
There's a thread on this, called "Bedard". Do you actually read anything anybody else posts? You're a valuable poster with a loose finger with "new topic", but, it's rarely new.

I feel like a prick having written this, but I'd feel like a bigger prick if I didn't hit submit.

falco
09-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Come on tar! Euro on Euro crime is not accepted around here! :lol:

Don't be such a taskmaster.

Tarlam!
09-11-2010, 07:46 AM

It just pisses me off that we have to have seventy threads on CBs, 400 on the OL etc etc etc.

I'm all for new topics, I love discussing stuff. That's why I come here. Michael is a great poster and I value his contributions. He has a totally different Danish American spin on stuff.

My outburst wasn't personal, it was collective.

Joemailman
09-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Just for the record, the "Bedard" thread doesn't discuss Peprah. That is in the "Few Interesting Tidbits" thread.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-11-2010, 07:57 AM
There's a thread on this, called "Bedard". Do you actually read anything anybody else posts? You're a valuable poster with a loose finger with "new topic", but, it's rarely new.

I feel like a prick having written this, but I'd feel like a bigger prick if I didn't hit submit.

If this is what pisses you off, you must have a dam easy life. I could care less who starts what topic on a football forum, who really cares. Some people don't have time to read every single topic posted here, esp when the topic "Bedard" doesn't really give you an idea about what the topic is about.

You should feel bad for hitting submit b/c if it were me that started the topic I probably would stop posting new topics if I got responses like this.

falco
09-11-2010, 08:00 AM
I don't always read every single thread.

I could see yelling at him if there was another thread titled 'charlie peprah' or something to that extent.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Charlie Peprah is now # 3 safety on the depth chart...his only start as an NFL player came in 2008 at Lambeau vs Falcons and I witnessed it. :cry:

I'm NOT impressed by the 2010 Packers D depth - especially the secondary.

I'm not impressed either, but you have to remember that Bibgy's injury was a total surprise. I would feel very good about having a healthy Collins, Bigby, and Burnett at saftey. And hopefully in a couple weeks we will. I am more worried about corner, but we do have two good players there. Some teams don't even have that. If Harris can come back a become a good third I think we will be fine as long as we stay healthy.

Tarlam!
09-11-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm not yelling. I stated my opinion.

And if the majority of the posters enjoy the lack of discipline around here, fine. I'll be in the minority.

Speaking for myself, I will try and start new topics as often as I can. NEW topics.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-11-2010, 08:07 AM
I don't always read every single thread.

I could see yelling at him if there was another thread titled 'charlie peprah' or something to that extent.

Thats basically my point. Who really reads every single thread to make sure the topic they are about to post is not already being discussed? That is impractical IMO.

If you want to express your frustration it should be directed towards the posters whose titles don't give you a good indication of what is being discussed.

Tarlam!
09-11-2010, 08:13 AM
And I'm entitled to my opinion, which i will state. I was respectful and not personal, so the animosity towards me over this is, IMHO, completely over reactive.

falco
09-11-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm not yelling. I stated my opinion.

And if the majority of the posters enjoy the lack of discipline around here, fine. I'll be in the minority.

Speaking for myself, I will try and start new topics as often as I can. NEW topics.

:roll:

You go Tar.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-11-2010, 08:22 AM
And I'm entitled to my opinion, which i will state. I was respectful and not personal, so the animosity towards me over this is, IMHO, completely over reactive.

I'm not trying to make it personal towards you, I’m just stating my opinion also. I thought I was pretty respectful in my responses I would think. I understand where you are coming from Tar, but I just don't think the guy did anything wrong here. I scrolled down the home page and I didn't see anything that would make me think that this topic was already being discussed. I am right with you if it is obvious that the guy didn't even bother looking, but in this case I don't see the problem. By complaining in this case I don’t think anything will change other than discouraging a good poster to continue starting new threads.

Tarlam!
09-11-2010, 08:25 AM
OK guys, consider me reprimanded. Maybe I have too much time to read all the posts here.

I apologize, sincerely.

Fritz
09-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Dammit, you can't have an up-and-coming pro-bowler backing up at every position. For every Bryan Bulaga waiting in the wings, there are several Charlie Peprahs and Brandon Underwoods.

It can't be done. It can't. The Pack has by most accounts a very talented, very raw back up tight end in Quarless. From what I've read, this guy has a chance to be very, very good. But he's as raw as I like my steak, which is exceedingly. And he's one injury from being the primary backup.

If he were the primary backup at some point, the Pack would suffer when he was on the field. But what's a team supposed to do? Nobody has NFL-ready, up-and-coming, highly talented backups waiting in the wings at most positions. NOBODY.

Bigby's prognosis at safety was that he'd be fine by training camp, or mid-training camp. Thompson drafted a safety - moved up to get the guy - in the third round.

Would drafting another safety in, say, the fifth round have provided the team with better depth than Peprah?

And at corner: Thompson had two young guys - last year's sixth and a second rounder from a couple years ago - coming into camp. They were ostensibly competing to be the nickel back, until Harris came back, when they'd be the dime.

Who knew one would get hurt and the other just not develop? One could fault Thompson for not going out at the end of training camp and getting the guy the Ravens got from the Seahogs, but I don't know enough to know what the Ravens gave up or how good the guy really is.

The fact is, your backups are not as good as your front line guys, and no team in the league has young, up-and-coming, NFL ready backups across the board.

Joemailman
09-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Back to the original topic, I think Peprah was one of the most pleasant surprises of training camp. When camp started, I didn't think he had much of a chance of making the team. Yeah, he was helped by injuries to others, but he played very well.

http://images.dailyme.com/assets/2010090200001936.jpg

vince
09-11-2010, 08:54 AM
I agree with Joe that, while I didn't htink he'd make the squad either, and may well be cut when Bigby returns, Peprah is a reasonable back-up and underappreciated for his safety skills. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying he's an all-pro or even a good starting caliber safety. He's been around for 3 or 4 years now, and I recall him playing reasonably well in previous stints with the team as well. I wouldn't be shocked if the Packers end up moving on from Bigby, although I don't expect it. Just my opinion.

sharpe1027
09-11-2010, 08:59 AM
It is one of their weakest spots for depth. Still, they did go out and get a high draft pick for the position and part of the lack of depth is due to their projected starter (Bigby) getting injured as well as one of their backups (Blackmon).

Coming into camp, Pep looked to be their 5th SS. I doubt that many teams can say they have quality 5 deep at SS. It wasn't so long ago that the Packers starters were not much better than Pep.

falco
09-11-2010, 09:21 AM
I'd be more worried about the loss of Collins playmaking ability then the possible mistakes Peprah might make. I think he would be a fine stopgap for a few games.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-11-2010, 10:29 AM
What happened to the days that were having decent starters was hard to come by. Remember the names Freeman and Manuel. I am just happy having good starters b/c if someone gets hurt the next guy is usually a lot less talented regardless the position.

There are certain players on every team that you just can't lose. Collins, Woodson, Mattews, Jenkins, Rodgers, Finley, and Jennings are those palyers on this team.

But this team does have good depth. Players like Bulaga, Splitz, Chillar, Jones, Nelson, and even Bigby when he comes back could play without much drop off from the guy ahead of him. Corner, D-line, and RB are the only positions that could really use better depth, but if we had that then we would have no weaknesses and every team has weaknesses. And if we didn't lose Jolly and Starks you could probably cross d-line and RB off that list.

Old School
09-11-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't post often, so maybe I have no right to say anything. I do check here multiple times daily. I have a few preferences.

I like titles that will give me some indication what they are about.

I think anybody but BrINT is entitled to more than one topic during his natural life. (slight sarcasm)

I sometimes get discouraged reading long topics that wander from the original and my interest. I do have a life away from here.

I wish there were a way to keep current on a good discussion without posting.

I do appreciate the mature discussions on this board. Posters are knowledgeable and proficient in the English language. All too many boards seem to be populated with 5th graders.

Now I'll zip it and go back to reading.

MichiganPackerFan
09-11-2010, 11:39 AM

You suck. Jackass.

:D

MichiganPackerFan
09-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Peprah seems to be solid, but not good or great. Im not convinced that you need two world beaters at the safety position and we already have Collins. "Good" would be luxury compliment, "great" would awesome, but "solid" from a backup is a good place to be.

mmmdk
09-11-2010, 06:21 PM

The Qs...let's roll : No, yes I am and maybe.

You don't have to feel like a prick - iz ok! :P

mmmdk
09-11-2010, 06:23 PM

It just pisses me off that we have to have seventy threads on CBs, 400 on the OL etc etc etc.

I'm all for new topics, I love discussing stuff. That's why I come here. Michael is a great poster and I value his contributions. He has a totally different Danish American spin on stuff.

My outburst wasn't personal, it was collective.

Should I've read this post before or after my last post? :lol:

mmmdk
09-11-2010, 06:30 PM
OK guys, consider me reprimanded. Maybe I have too much time to read all the posts here.

I apologize, sincerely.

Hey, no spanking unless I get to spank...Spank, spank, spank !!! Isn't that a Monty Python sketch!? No wait, that's SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!!!

Tony Oday
09-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Tarlam I see your point but dont at the same time. I go to a Wild board and they have about 9 topics that have 96 pages it seems like each....very boring for a new comer. I HATE huge topics...