PDA

View Full Version : Need help from AV rats

falco
09-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Ok guys, quick question.

I use netflix and am looking to stock up on episodes of TV shows to watch over the winter.

I have a NAS drive and use it in conjunction with my xbox360 to watch videos/view pictures/listen to music on my tv.

I'm looking for program(s) that allow me to:

a) rip episodes from DVDs and allow me to store them on my NAS drive in a format that can...

b) be played on my xbox360.

Obviously not looking to spend any money so any sort of simple freeware/open source software would be good.

I don't want all the extras, so I'm looking to be able to rip the raw episodes so that I can watch.

Any suggestions?

3irty1
09-11-2010, 03:32 PM
The best way to do this would be to let someone else do the ripping of the dvds as its something of an art to do it well. You should have no trouble finding torrents for any TV show that are available on DVD. Would you like a tutorial in using BitTorrent?

SkinBasket
09-11-2010, 04:01 PM
isohunt is excellent, although somewhat neutered by recent legal action, for finding shows as you describe. But that's if you're using bittorrent as our skull stealing friend suggests. As far as torrent progs, I love bittornado, but I'm also moderately retarded.

falco
09-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I used bittornado extensively from 2004-2006, until I got hit by a legal notice telling me to stop.... :oops:

falco
09-11-2010, 04:15 PM
The best way to do this would be to let someone else do the ripping of the dvds as its something of an art to do it well. You should have no trouble finding torrents for any TV show that are available on DVD. Would you like a tutorial in using BitTorrent?

I've tried the program DVDShrink which allows me filter out what I want (and get rid off the extras / alt audio tracks, etc). Now I've got VOB files. I used a free video converter to turn them into MPEGs, but the xbox isn't recognizing them for some reason or another.

MJZiggy
09-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I used bittornado extensively from 2004-2006, until I got hit by a legal notice telling me to stop.... :oops:

Wait, I thought with Netflix you could watch stuff on demand off the website??

falco
09-11-2010, 04:26 PM

Wait, I thought with Netflix you could watch stuff on demand off the website??

The on demand selection is limited, especially when it comes to TV shows. As far as movies, it is much better, especially if you enjoy foreign films as much as I do.

3irty1
09-11-2010, 06:43 PM

I've tried the program DVDShrink which allows me filter out what I want (and get rid off the extras / alt audio tracks, etc). Now I've got VOB files. I used a free video converter to turn them into MPEGs, but the xbox isn't recognizing them for some reason or another.

If you are using Windows Media Player to stream then it should work as long as you're video is Mpeg-2. Check to make sure you're program doesn't convert to Mpeg-4. WMV's are also supported.

falco
09-11-2010, 07:05 PM

If you are using Windows Media Player to stream then it should work as long as you're video is Mpeg-2. Check to make sure you're program doesn't convert to Mpeg-4. WMV's are also supported.

There's my problem....thanks man!