PDA

View Full Version : Off topic stuff from the Vikings/Saints game thread

GrnBay007
09-11-2010, 03:05 AM
I would like to point out a couple of things. I'm sure the result will be nothing short of another little bash session but I don't care.

How hypocritical of some of you! I can't even count how many times I've read people comment on how they miss Rastak....or when he does show up make comments to "welcome" him back to PR. What a crock! Really? You welcome him back....wish he posted here again...etc. yet there are countless threads/comments doing nothing but bashing the team he roots for. Rastak was a long standing member of this site. He always made draft day extra special by posting tons of great info. There may have been friendly jabs in the past toward the vikings but it was never so sickening the way it is now. Why? All because some can't get past Favre playing for the Vikings! Seriously, is it really worth all that......in an adult world people?

In the past there were occasional visitors from opposing teams. As long as they came to this site and were respectful everyone here seemed to show them and their team the same respect. Again, now because some can't get past their Favre hatred why would any of the friendly Viking posters we had here care to visit? The outspoken of this forum are turning this place into exactly what they want.....everyone must have the same opinion and if you don't you are not welcome.

So yeah, it's an online Packer football forum. I ask you this....do you treat all those in your real everyday life the same? So you have a neighbor that is a Viking fan do you get angry with them because of the team they root for and make shitty comments about their team constantly? Or do you show them respect and try to have a civil - adult conversation with them regarding football? Yeah......FOOTBALL....not just one player that you hate because for some reason you feel he personally did you wrong? Man, after stepping back it's unreal how ridiculous it all seems!!!

This site was built on a lot of long standing posters. People who actually befriended those around them. People who did not tolerate disrespect to others. Seriously people....you are not showing how much you love the Packers by demonstrating how much you hate Favre. I haven't come across any Favre-hate-o-meters to prove you are a Packer fan.

Tarlam!
09-11-2010, 03:45 AM
Seven, I don't agree with your rant at all. Not one teensy weeny bit.

Rastak and MNGolf are MOST welcome here at PR and I have never seen anything posted that would upset them, except Ras takes exception to the term "Queens".

This site has always loathed, yet respected the team "Vikings". Yet the management has always been ridiculed here. Nothing has changed.

If you can't understand the animosity that Favre caused with his decisions, that's your motherly instict, maybe. The fact is, and I only draw my conclusions from what I get to read, Favre has polarized the entire NFL fan and commentary base.

It is absolutely no wonder that Packer fans will hate the team he plays for, doubley so if that team is NFC North.

Your "high road" post was, IMHO, tainted. And you know how I feel about you personally, so you know my words are not a personal attack.

imscott72
09-11-2010, 04:00 AM
I don't know what all happened or what was said that drove Ras, Bretsky, and others away, but I will say I think this site is more friendly to opposing fans than the others I've been too. I used to hang around PPO, (Vikings site), and would get called all kinds of nasty name for no reason. Bears sites are the same way. Trust me it could be A LOT worse.

mmmdk
09-11-2010, 04:18 AM
I don't agree with your post, seven, but I do like(d) having a guy like Rastak around. As for the "long standing members"...that self-righteous possé had to be desolved but it could've been prettier yet that's in the past now. One does move on - and I wouldn't mind any of the aforementioned posters to come back - not at all - just ditch the anthem of self-righteousness.

Patler
09-11-2010, 04:57 AM
"Hate" for the Vikings goes beyond the Favre issue.
When Aaron Kampman was a RFA, the Vikings signed him to an offer sheet.
When William Henderson was a FA, the Vikings tried to sign him.
When Ferguson was released, the Vikings signed him.
When Longwell was a FA, the Vikings signed him.
When the Packers couldn't afford Sharper, the Vikings signed him.
Mike Montgomery became a FA, the Vikings signed him.

How many other Packers were pursued by the Vikings and/or went to the Vikings? There was talk last year that the Vikings had contacted Mark Tauscher. Is it wrong? Of course not. For many of the players, the Packers had lost interest. But when it happens time and time again, often with higher profile Packers, it seems like more than just coincidence.

Then, throw in the Vikings initiating the "dirty pool" tactics in offer sheets to free agents with their offer to Hutchinson and getting him, Viking players avoiding suspensions while other teams (including the Packers) deal with players being suspended (Jolly).

Then, factor in the Vikings tampering with Favre (and I believe they did) while he was still a Packer, then pursuing and getting Favre after Favre manipulated the Jets, it isn't too hard to work up a strong dislike for the Vikings simply based on the way they have done business over the years.

For some fans, the cumulative effect boils over into how they talk about the team and its player, coaches, administration and ownership. I'm not saying it is right, but it is not hard to understand.

CaptainKickass
09-11-2010, 05:04 AM
I haven't come across any Favre-hate-o-meters to prove you are a Packer fan.

Hi -

Billy Mays here for the "FAVRE-O-METER"

http://static.globalgrind.com/i/CIT/I72/866/9.358321.jpg

Mofo's ego is such that he also has his own friggin "Me" meter, on his own official site:
http://www.officialbrettfavre.com/favre-o-meter

...in an adult world people?

Sorry Double O - we do luv ya bunches, but this is the semi-anonymous internet, and Football is one of the last places in society where competitive tribal rivalry can be acceptably exhibited by men. It's a necessary and instinctual component of our lives. Otherwise we'd all be running around trying to kill each other daily to prove our tribe is better. To be fair, you may have some valid points, but you're not gonna get around it with a scolding post.

I'm loyal to the Packers before I'm loyal to an anonymous internet poster who is also a Viking fan. Cool as they may be.

If you're reading this and you are a Viking fan - you WILL appreciate this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yyx8_tMgcY

falco
09-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Rastak and MNGolf are MOST welcome here at PR and I have never seen anything posted that would upset them, except Ras takes exception to the term "Queens".

+1.

007, I don't think you are going to win any hearts or minds here by telling us that we are being too hard on the vikings.

And I don't think the attitude towards the vikings had anything to do with Ras leaving.

Bossman641
09-11-2010, 07:56 AM
I would like to point out a couple of things. I'm sure the result will be nothing short of another little bash session but I don't care.

How hypocritical of some of you! I can't even count how many times I've read people comment on how they miss Rastak....or when he does show up make comments to "welcome" him back to PR. What a crock! Really? You welcome him back....wish he posted here again...etc. yet there are countless threads/comments doing nothing but bashing the team he roots for. Rastak was a long standing member of this site. He always made draft day extra special by posting tons of great info. There may have been friendly jabs in the past toward the vikings but it was never so sickening the way it is now. Why? All because some can't get past Favre playing for the Vikings! Seriously, is it really worth all that......in an adult world people?

In the past there were occasional visitors from opposing teams. As long as they came to this site and were respectful everyone here seemed to show them and their team the same respect. Again, now because some can't get past their Favre hatred why would any of the friendly Viking posters we had here care to visit? The outspoken of this forum are turning this place into exactly what they want.....everyone must have the same opinion and if you don't you are not welcome.

So yeah, it's an online Packer football forum. I ask you this....do you treat all those in your real everyday life the same? So you have a neighbor that is a Viking fan do you get angry with them because of the team they root for and make shitty comments about their team constantly? Or do you show them respect and try to have a civil - adult conversation with them regarding football? Yeah......FOOTBALL....not just one player that you hate because for some reason you feel he personally did you wrong? Man, after stepping back it's unreal how ridiculous it all seems!!!

This site was built on a lot of long standing posters. People who actually befriended those around them. People who did not tolerate disrespect to others. Seriously people....you are not showing how much you love the Packers by demonstrating how much you hate Favre. I haven't come across any Favre-hate-o-meters to prove you are a Packer fan.

Ha, what a joke. How dare any of us take pleasure in the Vikings' failures. Nobody, at least nobody that I'm aware of, has personally direspected Rastak. Respect for the Vikings? That's a whole nother thing.

Maybe we if we all make really great topics about the Vikings Rastak will come back....

Seriously, if he were here, and he were posting, he would be treated with respect and his opinions would be discussed. But to expect people to take it easy on the Vikings in hopes that he comes back? Come on.

Scott Campbell
09-11-2010, 08:17 AM
I haven't come across any Favre-hate-o-meters to prove you are a Packer fan.

There was a recall after I broke my 5th one.

MJZiggy
09-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Dunno, Seven, Favre'll be gone next year and we're still gonna hate the Vikings. Looking back on this thread, he was posting right up until someone posted a photo of a pretty girl that allegedly received some naughty messages. After all his years of posting here, I just don't think Ras is so sensitive that he can't handle boobs. Ya gotta expect that in the game thread, which this is, we're gonna make fun of the opposing team. The more material they give us, the more fun we're gonna make of it. You think we're respectful toward TO when we play against his team? Please!

To be honest, I've felt that the actual vitriol has died down a lot (at least until Buck's been regurgitating it all for some unknown reason). It's been three years and I think that people just don't want to hear the same tired arguments anymore. But Favre is special because he played for us for many years and swore he would retire a Packer, which come to think of it he did--a couple times. People are allowed to feel how they feel about that. He also plays for our rival and we can feel how we like about that too. Just like you can and you can say anything you want about him without making it personal against other posters as if they'd done something wrong. They haven't. They're expressing how they feel on a football board. And to answer your question, when people bring up Favre at work, they hear the exact same things that are said here. EXACTLY the same things. But they brought him up and they know what they'll hear. There's a bit of trash talk at work between various fans. But people don't get offended and scold one another if it's someone on their team who gets teased. They're grownups and can take hearing criticism about their team.

Our own personal Voldemort is only talked about in two threads and the conversation has turned to making fun--just like if Cutler had his own thread. But I imagine that if we cared enough to make a Cutler thread, Bears fans would know what's in it and wouldn't complain so much if we criticized him.

Tarlam!
09-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Good post, Zig!

Scott Campbell
09-11-2010, 08:30 AM
I would like to point out a couple of things.

You should stop already.

We don't hate you. We don't hate Ras. We don't hate B. We don't hate Nutz.

We hate Bert. You shouldn't take it personally. You're not better than us for not hating him. And you shouldn't be lecturing us on how to behave. So just stop.

Scott Campbell
09-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Good post, Zig!

You just like it when she says "boobs". :lol:

Tony Oday
09-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Viking suck dead goats and I hate them.

Rastak is awesome and would get a beer with him.

I live in MN so I already have to deal with a ton of purple love...well less now I heard a HUGE bang on Thursday...people jumping off the bandwagon :)

Joemailman
09-11-2010, 08:35 AM
In my opinion, the Vikings were the Packers biggest rival before Favre went to Minnesota, and that goes back to the Randy Moss days. Packer fans didn't start disliking the Vikings when Favre went there. However, a lot of Packer fans turned against Favre when he went to the Vikings. That shows the dislike for the Vikings was already there.

I don't know why Ras doesn't post here much, but when he does, he is treated with respect. Of course, it helps that when he does come here, he doesn't start off by calling people hypocrites. If Ras isn't here much because this place has turned more anti-Viking, that is unavoidable. The Vikings are the Packers biggest rival. If this forum had existed back when Rany Moss, Culpepper and Hovan were playing for the Vikings, it would have been a similar situation.

Tarlam!
09-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Good post, Zig!

You just like it when she says "boobs". :lol:

I like it when she talks! Zig's a babe with a brain! Doesn't get any better than that!

Tarlam!
09-11-2010, 08:39 AM

I had the ultimate pleasure of having a beer with him, Harvey and Superfan. It was one of the nicest evenings of my life. All three are fantastic people. If I lived in Minnie, I would see to it that they became close friends. I don't state that lightly.

vince
09-11-2010, 09:03 AM

I had the ultimate pleasure of having a beer with him, Harvey and Superfan. It was one of the nicest evenings of my life. All three are fantastic people. If I lived in Minnie, I would see to it that they became close friends. I don't state that lightly.
I don't doubt this for one second. They seem like quality people as much as you can infer from their posts here.

Sometimes I think people forget the name of this forum though. You want to read nice things about the Vikings, this ain't the place to hang out.

I will always 'hate' the Vikings and revel in their failure. That says nothing whatever about Rastak as a person. If some people want to start up an "NFL Friends" forum, have at it, but keep the gibberish off PackerRats. JMO

mraynrand
09-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Welcome back 007! I still hate the Vikings and will bash them any chance I get! Hope you enjoy the season.

retailguy
09-11-2010, 10:32 AM
This has been a very revealing thread for me.

I posted something similar in the Favre thread, and was basically told "you're wrong, you don't know what they think".

Then we have one of the "they" come out of the woodwork and tell you what she thinks, and what Rastak thinks and the response is either "tough", or "you're wrong and you don't know what Ras thinks".

It's been very revealing.

Bossman641
09-11-2010, 02:18 PM

I posted something similar in the Favre thread, and was basically told "you're wrong, you don't know what they think".

Then we have one of the "they" come out of the woodwork and tell you what she thinks, and what Rastak thinks and the response is either "tough", or "you're wrong and you don't know what Ras thinks".

When did Rastak say anything?

You know why else we could be losing posters? Maybe they are sick of being told how to act. Maybe they are sick of being told by Favre fans how terrible we are because we "hate" Favre while they still respect Favre. Maybe they are sick of being at a forum that seems more interested in fair and equal treatment for Viking fans than Packer fans.

Look, I can throw out allegations too. Does that make it true?

This isn't kindergarten. Everybody doesn't get an A and a plus for trying hard. IMO, if we are losing posters who are too sensitive to take criticism of a team that they only like because of Favre then we aren't missing much.

Pugger
09-11-2010, 02:24 PM
It just isn't the Favre thing that might be driving folks away. Not long ago I was chastised and called a hypocrite in so many words because of one of my posts. I almost said the hell with it but I didn't in the end because most of the time this is a pretty good forum. Others might not be so thick skinned.

mraynrand
09-11-2010, 02:27 PM

You know why else we could be losing posters? Maybe they are sick of being told how to act. Maybe they are sick of being told by Favre fans how terrible we are because we "hate" Favre while they still respect Favre. Maybe they are sick of being at a forum that seems more interested in fair and equal treatment for Viking fans than Packer fans.

This isn't kindergarten. Everybody doesn't get an A and a plus for trying hard. IMO, if we are losing posters who are too sensitive to take criticism of a team that they only like because of Favre then we aren't missing much.

Blast Favre, blast the Vikings, (or the opposite) but don't blast the poster. That's the key. 007 Nutz are BFFFs - there's nothing wrong with that, even if they want the Vikings to beat the Packers. I'm OK with that, so long as they don't get upset with me when I tell them that I want to see Favre's ass kicked when he comes into Lambeau. Decent people can exist on both sides of the Favre fence.

____
BTW, the Vikings didn't lose by all that much to a very good defending Superbowl winner on the road. They are going to be tough to beat this year.

mraynrand
09-11-2010, 02:28 PM
It just isn't the Favre thing that might be driving folks away. Not long ago I was chastised and called a hypocrite in so many words because of one of my posts. I almost said the hell with it but I didn't in the end because most of the time this is a pretty good forum. Others might not be so thick skinned.

I think you are a hypocrite for staying. :D

Bossman641
09-11-2010, 02:31 PM

Blast Favre, blast the Vikings, (or the opposite) but don't blast the poster. That's the key. 007 Nutz are BFFFs - there's nothing wrong with that, even if they want the Vikings to beat the Packers. I'm OK with that, so long as they don't get upset with me when I tell them that I want to see Favre's ass kicked when he comes into Lambeau. Decent people can exist on both sides of the Favre fence.

____
BTW, the Vikings didn't lose by all that much to a very good defending Superbowl winner on the road. They are going to be tough to beat this year.

Exactly!

I'm not sure when the last time was that a BFFF was personally criticized or disrespected. Were their ideas and beliefs questioned? Of course. But I have not seen anyone getting disrespected.

Brandon494
09-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Give me a break, its nothing wrong with bashing your rivals. Especially when they have maybe the greastest QB in Packer history trying to win them thier first SB. Its not like we want the Vikings to have a bad season by way of Favre getting injuried, I just want him to throw 20+ INTs like he did for us. :wink:

retailguy
09-11-2010, 02:51 PM

____

Exactly!

I'm not sure when the last time was that a BFFF was personally criticized or disrespected. Were their ideas and beliefs questioned? Of course. But I have not seen anyone getting disrespected.

Serious question - "Who determines what "disrespected" means?"

You keep telling me that no one is "disrespecting" anyone. They (via PM's) tell me that they feel attacked and disrespected.

So, Bossman, who is correct? :huh:

On this particular issue, the only horse I've got in the race, is several folks that I consider either virtual friends, or personal friends that I have met are MISSING.

As to recently, have you read the responses to Woody's posts? Have you read 95% of what Campbell says to woody, and vice versa?

MJZiggy
09-11-2010, 02:52 PM

It's a nice thought, hon, but after three years, I'm tired of being told what I can say in a Viking thread on our forum. Either we put our big girl panties on or we stay the hell out of Viking threads on the Packer forum if we don't want to hear people making fun of the VIKINGS' quarterback. Two threads is just not that hard to avoid, but trying to tell people what they can't say in those two threads is just really getting silly. I bet there are very few references to Favre in the Eagles thread, but if I get the chance, I'm surely going to be making fun of the Eagles. Rastak's never had a problem that I've seen with people going after the Vikings before (or their players, management, owners or facility--you didn't see him getting all pissy when the love boat was the butt of jokes around here--and he of all people knows how to hate Favre. He did it for over a decade). He backs up his retorts with facts, but left when people started going after HIM instead of the team.

B didn't leave because people said unkind things about Favre. He left because of the Rat on Rat crime. Seven's post wasn't about Favre. Her post was solely meant to criticize anyone who said bad things about her boy. She may love him, but we don't have to.

retailguy
09-11-2010, 02:56 PM

If you did again, what you did at that time, I'd do the same thing again. The sad part? You kept insisting that if I had "just took it the way you meant it" I'd have understood what you really meant wasn't what you actually said.

I just read the words you typed.

Easiest thing in the world to "pile on". It was my view then that you were doing that. It hasn't changed, and I believe it continues. I choose not to weigh in most of the time.

retailguy
09-11-2010, 02:58 PM

It's a nice thought, hon, but after three years, I'm tired of being told what I can say in a Viking thread on our forum. Either we put our big girl panties on or we stay the hell out of Viking threads on the Packer forum if we don't want to hear people making fun of the VIKINGS' quarterback. Two threads is just not that hard to avoid, but trying to tell people what they can't say in those two threads is just really getting silly. I bet there are very few references to Favre in the Eagles thread, but if I get the chance, I'm surely going to be making fun of the Eagles. Rastak's never had a problem that I've seen with people going after the Vikings before (or their players, management, owners or facility--you didn't see him getting all pissy when the love boat was the butt of jokes around here--and he of all people knows how to hate Favre. He did it for over a decade). He backs up his retorts with facts, but left when people started going after HIM instead of the team.

B didn't leave because people said unkind things about Favre. He left because of the Rat on Rat crime. Seven's post wasn't about Favre. Her post was solely meant to criticize anyone who said bad things about her boy. She may love him, but we don't have to.

So, who is guilty of "rat on rat" crime and what does that specifically mean to you? Is "rat on rat" crime a personal attack, or what is it?

mraynrand
09-11-2010, 03:07 PM

Everyone's a bit different. You have to gain a feeling for different posters and how they will react. For example, I think Woody can take it when I call him Lou Holtz' clone or saying that something he wrote is absurd. Maybe I would have to word it differently for 007 (in fairness, she and some others on both sides are totally sensitized so little things can work as triggers). Unfortunately, on a web forum, things like playful sarcasm can easily get misinterpreted.

Bossman641
09-11-2010, 03:35 PM

____

Exactly!

You keep telling me that no one is "disrespecting" anyone. They (via PM's) tell me that they feel attacked and disrespected.

So, Bossman, who is correct? :huh:

On this particular issue, the only horse I've got in the race, is several folks that I consider either virtual friends, or personal friends that I have met are MISSING.

As to recently, have you read the responses to Woody's posts? Have you read 95% of what Campbell says to woody, and vice versa?

Ziggy said it far better than I could have.

The site is PACKERrats. It isn't friendsoffavre.com or vikingbackers.com.

Please answer my question. Don't you think it is just as likely that posters are being driven off with this constant pandering to Favre/Viking fans? I have no problem with Woody at all, but he constantly posts how he thinks he is a better person because of his views on Favre. The same thing with Mobb calling himself a more enlightened human being. Of course you never criticize them for trying to force their beliefs on others, it's always directed the other way.

Is it really that difficult to have thick skin on a message board?

Pugger
09-11-2010, 03:37 PM

If you did again, what you did at that time, I'd do the same thing again. The sad part? You kept insisting that if I had "just took it the way you meant it" I'd have understood what you really meant wasn't what you actually said.

Easiest thing in the world to "pile on". It was my view then that you were doing that. It hasn't changed, and I believe it continues. I choose not to weigh in most of the time.

What truly disappointed me was your tone towards me. I wasn't piling anything on and I did not even have you in my thoughts when I typed that post in that thread so I was really taken aback by your response. If I mess up, fine. I'll take my medicine. But there was no way in h3ll that I was directing anything at you and that is why I responded the way I did.

retailguy
09-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Bossman, I'm not talking about "pandering" to the Vikings, or the Viking fans.

I see no evidence that anyone has ever posted that they left because we didn't "bash" other teams.

I am specifically talking about conversations that I have had with Bretsky and with 007. I have had no conversations with Rastak but others have, and have said things along the same lines.

You can keep insisting that "your beliefs" are accurate. I have information to the contrary, (admittedly a small sample) but still from the "horses mouth" so to speak.

You "laud" Ziggy's response, but even she mentions "rat on rat" crime. What is that? If it is what I think it is, then it isn't different from what I'm saying at all, and in fact, would completely SUPPORT what I claimed.

Like Bretsky, I know Ziggy personally, and believe I have an understanding as to what she is trying to say. I'll let her respond directly to confirm that before I assume too much.

So, back to my question - "Who is the final authority on what "disrespected" means, and what is proper or not"?

Incidentally, I agree with Rand, you do have to "get to know" folks before you can figure this stuff out. The problem with that? The four folks who I have specifically mentioned by name have in excess of 35k posts, and by any standard, knew the motives, intentions, and had an understanding of the sense of humor and motivations of the majority of the posters involved. And they decided to LEAVE.

retailguy
09-11-2010, 03:52 PM

What truly disappointed me was your tone towards me. I wasn't piling anything on and I did not even have you in my thoughts when I typed that post in that thread so I was really taken aback by your response. If I mess up, fine. I'll take my medicine. But there was no way in h3ll that I was directing anything at you and that is why I responded the way I did.

Yes, I know all this. I told you then that I believed you to be mocking me, and my POV directly and I told you WHY I believed that. Yet you still insist that you typed something you didn't mean, and I was nuts to draw that conclusion.

I've never met you, and honestly, will NEVER meet you so I have no way to assess the truth of your claim, but I have the capability to read, so again, I read the words you chose to put on the page. I compared those words to other words that you said in reply to my post from a couple days prior and then based a conclusion on that combined experience.

I don't particularly care what you intended to type. I care what you did type and what it said to me.

Bossman641
09-11-2010, 04:00 PM
From what I have heard, Bretsky and others left during the height of the Favre drama. There were plenty of times then that things got way too personal between posters. You will hear no disagreement from me on that. I think it is fairly obvious that things have gotten much better since then. People obviously still disagree and post as such, but nothing like before. There is the occasional line-crossing, but I'd argue it goes both ways, with Favre fans saying they are better off for respecting Favre and the other side saying they are fools.

In spite of this improvement, we keep hearing from you and 007, in this case, that all the Favre bashers are to blame. It has gone from criticizing the Favre fans directly to criticizing Favre to criticizing the Vikings. IMO, that's about as far off as it is going to get. It is absolutely ridiculous to expect posters at a Packers board to not make fun of the Vikings and to not be happy when the Vikings fail. And yet, that's exactly what is posted - that we should respect the Vikings and should not make fun of Favre and on and on.

MJZiggy
09-11-2010, 04:05 PM

So, who is guilty of "rat on rat" crime and what does that specifically mean to you? Is "rat on rat" crime a personal attack, or what is it?

I'm not going to name names. That's unnecessary, I think. I've seen two types of "rat on rat" crime prevalent in this thread: first is telling a poster that they're stupid or disrespectful for being angry with Favre or that they're somehow bad people for feeling that way (because, after all, hate is bad). The flipside is when people tell others that they're stupid or not Packer fans if they still have any respect for Favre at all. It got tiresome, no?

There are plenty who have a lot to say to and about Favre. But that's about Favre. If you just want to talk about how wonderful Favre is and hear nothing else, Favre himself has a forum just for that--no criticism allowed. This is not a Favre forum, it's a Packer forum. Criticizing our rival quarterback is allowed. But that doesn't mean we have to criticize each other to do it. And it doesn't mean we have to criticize other FOR doing it.

You mentioned the attacks on Woodbuck. Please re-read Woodbuck's reentry into this thread.

retailguy
09-11-2010, 04:25 PM
From what I have heard, Bretsky and others left during the height of the Favre drama. There were plenty of times then that things got way too personal between posters. You will hear no disagreement from me on that. I think it is fairly obvious that things have gotten much better since then. People obviously still disagree and post as such, but nothing like before. There is the occasional line-crossing, but I'd argue it goes both ways, with Favre fans saying they are better off for respecting Favre and the other side saying they are fools.

In spite of this improvement, we keep hearing from you and 007, in this case, that all the Favre bashers are to blame. It has gone from criticizing the Favre fans directly to criticizing Favre to criticizing the Vikings. IMO, that's about as far off as it is going to get. It is absolutely ridiculous to expect posters at a Packers board to not make fun of the Vikings and to not be happy when the Vikings fail. And yet, that's exactly what is posted - that we should respect the Vikings and should not make fun of Favre and on and on.

So, then, today, who determines "disrespect"? Is what Campbell said two days ago to Woody OK? Are the things that were said personally about me two weeks ago when I was talking about 19-0 OK?

What/who determines "crossing the line", and "what was meant" by the attempted display of a joke gone bad? You keep insisting that it is a two way street, but I don't know of one example where a Favre hater left because of his/her treatment here. I'd be happy to investigate if you have some evidence that I am not privy to.

Bossman641
09-11-2010, 04:39 PM

So, then, today, who determines "disrespect"? Is what Campbell said two days ago to Woody OK? Are the things that were said personally about me two weeks ago when I was talking about 19-0 OK?

What/who determines "crossing the line", and "what was meant" by the attempted display of a joke gone bad? You keep insisting that it is a two way street, but I don't know of one example where a Favre hater left because of his/her treatment here. I'd be happy to investigate if you have some evidence that I am not privy to.

I don't know what SC said to Woody. If they have a problem, I think it would be more beneficial for the 2 of them to figure it out than for me to figure it out. I also don't know what was personally said to you. I know you pushed the envelope by saying that you expected the team to go 16-0. People called you out and said you were trying to cause a stir. You finally admitted that that's exactly what you were doing, but that it was done to try and teach a lesson to all those who had been overly optimistic to you in the past. To be honest, I didn't understand the point of your show.

It is a 2 way street in terms of criticism going back and forth. I don't know of any Favre haters that have left. There are probably 2 reasons for this. One, it's a lot easier to stick around since they are in the majority. Two, they aren't as sensitive. I know when Mobb or Woody posts about their respect/admiration for Favre I don't take it personally. I think they are wrong and can't imagine feeling that way, but it doesn't personally bother me. Contrast that to the way that the Favre backers have acted, taking it personally (as if Favre were a family member or friend) and lecturing why he is due respect/how much we owe him/etc.

mraynrand
09-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Are the things that were said personally about me two weeks ago when I was talking about 19-0 OK?

Yes, pretty much. You were playing a snide game with people and you knew it. You should expect to get some grief for that.

retailguy
09-11-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm not going to name names. That's unnecessary, I think. I've seen two types of "rat on rat" crime prevalent in this thread: first is telling a poster that they're stupid or disrespectful for being angry with Favre or that they're somehow bad people for feeling that way (because, after all, hate is bad). The flipside is when people tell others that they're stupid or not Packer fans if they still have any respect for Favre at all. It got tiresome, no?

There are plenty who have a lot to say to and about Favre. But that's about Favre. If you just want to talk about how wonderful Favre is and hear nothing else, Favre himself has a forum just for that--no criticism allowed. This is not a Favre forum, it's a Packer forum. Criticizing our rival quarterback is allowed. But that doesn't mean we have to criticize each other to do it. And it doesn't mean we have to criticize other FOR doing it.

You mentioned the attacks on Woodbuck. Please re-read Woodbuck's reentry into this thread.

Fair enough on the "naming of names". I agree on the Favre forum.

However, neither of you have addressed what we can/should/ or should not do about what happened in the past as to why these people left. They have chosen not to post here based on what happened, and common sense tells me that they wouldn't stay away if there was any type of belief that suggested those things were over.

I used Woody as an example of this specifically. yes, I agree that the "new" woody is doing a fair amount of attacking currently. I also happen to believe that you reach a point, where you fight back. I know for certain that has happened to me personally.

In the "totality" of Woody's posts, would it be your opinion that woody has been "attacked", or has "attacked" more frequently?

The same thing could be said about Partial. Towards the end, partial was a complete and utter asshole. He reached a point where he fought back, and his actions led to his departure. In the beginning, he wasn't this way. But this forum reached a point, where everything the guy said was ridiculed and attacked, and at some point, he snapped, became an absolute moron, and got himself banned.

I happen to believe that most of merry band of "favre haters" would do the same thing if they had to face the "other side of the fence" so to speak.

retailguy
09-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Are the things that were said personally about me two weeks ago when I was talking about 19-0 OK?

Yes, pretty much. You were playing a snide game with people and you knew it. You should expect to get some grief for that.

grief is fine, but what about the personal attack posts that had nothing to do with the topic at hand?

retailguy
09-11-2010, 04:54 PM
I don't know what SC said to Woody. If they have a problem, I think it would be more beneficial for the 2 of them to figure it out than for me to figure it out. I also don't know what was personally said to you. I know you pushed the envelope by saying that you expected the team to go 16-0. People called you out and said you were trying to cause a stir. You finally admitted that that's exactly what you were doing, but that it was done to try and teach a lesson to all those who had been overly optimistic to you in the past. To be honest, I didn't understand the point of your show.

It is a 2 way street in terms of criticism going back and forth. I don't know of any Favre haters that have left. There are probably 2 reasons for this. One, it's a lot easier to stick around since they are in the majority. Two, they aren't as sensitive. I know when Mobb or Woody posts about their respect/admiration for Favre I don't take it personally. I think they are wrong and can't imagine feeling that way, but it doesn't personally bother me. Contrast that to the way that the Favre backers have acted, taking it personally (as if Favre were a family member or friend) and lecturing why he is due respect/how much we owe him/etc.

You can read what SC is saying to Woody. It's all out there on public display. Look at one post, look at the totality over the past 3 years. I've formed my opinion, and I want to hear yours. Is their three year "attack fest" ok and should we as a group collectively "allow it"? Note that there are "dozens" of other examples of this behavior, I just picked what I consider the most obvious one, and it isn't my attempt to single anyone out.

I also still want an answer to the question I've asked you twice. You asserted a statement that they were "not disrespected" and I want to understand why that's a fact, and that the way these people actually feel is inaccurate and crazy. I still don't understand the point you were trying to make.

Also, you spent a lot of time in paragraph two telling me about your personal reaction to all of this. I have no disagreement with that. What I want to understand is if you believe that others "ought" to do just as you do, or if there is some tolerance on your part that it is acceptable for different people to handle things differently? Or, must all of us accept whatever you or the rest of the "favre haters" choose to give us?

Bossman641
09-11-2010, 05:12 PM

You can read what SC is saying to Woody. It's all out there on public display. Look at one post, look at the totality over the past 3 years. I've formed my opinion, and I want to hear yours. Is their three year "attack fest" ok and should we as a group collectively "allow it"? Note that there are "dozens" of other examples of this behavior, I just picked what I consider the most obvious one, and it isn't my attempt to single anyone out.

I also still want an answer to the question I've asked you twice. You asserted a statement that they were "not disrespected" and I want to understand why that's a fact, and that the way these people actually feel is inaccurate and crazy. I still don't understand the point you were trying to make.

Also, you spent a lot of time in paragraph two telling me about your personal reaction to all of this. I have no disagreement with that. What I want to understand is if you believe that others "ought" to do just as you do, or if there is some tolerance on your part that it is acceptable for different people to handle things differently? Or, must all of us accept whatever you or the rest of the "favre haters" choose to give us?

"They" were personally disrespected in the past. I don't see that happening anymore, or anywhere close to the extent it was before. Do "these people" still feel disrespected or did they feel disrespected? Since this is all based on your communications with them, I have no idea.

Of course I have tolerance and understand it is acceptable for people to handle things differently. What I don't understand is why the Favre backers don't feel this way. Their own personal feelings aside, why is it not acceptable to hate Favre? Why do they not have tolerance for those who want to see Favre fail and enjoy seeing him make a fool of himself?

Joemailman
09-11-2010, 05:39 PM
It's inevitable that people who have differing opinions on football matters will go after each other personally at times. Unfortunate, but inevitable. The real problem though is when someone decides to hijack a thread just to attack one or more posters. This thread was a football thread for 15 pages with no major problems.

However, then someone made a conscious decision to use the thread to attack others:

I would like to point out a couple of things. I'm sure the result will be nothing short of another little bash session but I don't care. How hypocritical of some of you!

Well she succeeded. How unfortunate, and how unfair. This should not go on, but on a forum that is almost completely unmoderated, I suppose it will continue. It is precisely why some good posters have left here.

falco
09-11-2010, 05:43 PM
It's inevitable that people who have differing opinions on football matters will go after each other personally at times. Unfortunate, but inevitable. The real problem though is when someone decides to hijack a thread just to attack one or more posters. This thread was a football thread for 15 pages with no major problems.

However, then someone made a conscious decision to use the thread to attack others:

I would like to point out a couple of things. I'm sure the result will be nothing short of another little bash session but I don't care. How hypocritical of some of you!

Well she succeeded. How unfortunate, and how unfair. This should not go on, but on a forum that is almost completely unmoderated, I suppose it will continue. It is precisely why some good posters have left here.

And why, I imagine, good posters will continue to leave...

Well said Joe.

GrnBay007
09-11-2010, 06:21 PM
I seriously don’t care what anyone here thinks about Favre. I used to. I got past it and now just look at it as a “consider the source” type of thing. And when I say that, I don’t mean it in a disrespectful way. I believe people have a right to their opinion….all opinions, and it doesn’t matter if it’s in person or on a sports forum. And with opinions, in an adult world, comes respect.

In my post I addressed Rastak. I have no idea why he seldom shows up anymore….but I have a darn good guess. Many of you say the Vikings have always been a hated rival, true. But seriously, things have gone over the top since Favre joined them. It all goes back to Favre. I guess there is no way to get past that on a Packer forum. I seriously wish there could be. It’s become nothing short of an obsession with some here…and that is where I see the problem. It’s not the jabs toward the Vikings (yeah, they are a top rival of the Packers), it’s not even the comments directed at an opposing team’s QB….it’s the obsession thing. It just gets sooo old!!! I would like to think many of the outspoken Favre haters here will look back at some of their comments a few years from now and wonder why they invested so much passion and hate on this topic.

Patler, I appreciated your response in explaining some of the logic. You kept it grounded and not based on emotion.

Retail, I think you were trying to help people understand my point, for that I thank you, but I think the point of the message was lost in the very beginning.

To address a few other comments:
-Your "high road" post
-just ditch the anthem of self-righteousness.
-You're not better than us for not hating him. And you shouldn't be lecturing us on how to behave. So just stop.

I will just say this…I’m sorry you see it that way. What I wrote was simply my views, my opinions. I pride myself in having an open mind. I try very hard not to obsess and hate on things/people/events I have no control over.

Joe and falco - I hijacked a thread? Seriously? This was a game day thread …the game was over long before I posted anything. LOL seriously, another example of someone’s opinions not wanted or welcome if they don’t agree with the mass.

I would hate for anyone to try to “think outside the box”.

Administrator
09-11-2010, 08:41 PM
but on a forum that is almost completely unmoderated, I suppose it will continue. It is precisely why some good posters have left here.

This is a complext point, one that I don't really agree with.

But, valid, since no one can definitively prove why people leave.

Joe, you can see skinbaskets "I'm not planning an exit" thread for my comments related to moderating.

This discussion remains open if anyone wants to productively share their thoughts and opinions.

SkinBasket
09-11-2010, 09:17 PM
but on a forum that is almost completely unmoderated, I suppose it will continue. It is precisely why some good posters have left here.

Joe, you can see skinbaskets "I'm not planning an exit" thread for my comments related to moderating.

This discussion remains open if anyone wants to productively share their thoughts and opinions.

Actually we can't see your comments in that thread because they don't exist. And what the fuck (excuse my Romanian) is up with locking the thread? God forbid you allow the people here to vent about you keeping this place in worse repair than a fucking plague infested hamster cage.

Any time there's any discussion about how to improve this fucking place, you freak the fuck out, make some grand pronouncements, lock the thread, and then nothing happens. What's it been? Two goddamn years? Not sure how you can be such a defensive pussy about something you obviously don't give a shit about.

Sorry for the namecalling, but it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past time for you to nut up or shut up.

Scott Campbell
09-11-2010, 09:25 PM
-"You're not better than us for not hating him. And you shouldn't be lecturing us on how to behave. So just stop." SC

I will just say this�I�m sorry you see it that way. What I wrote was simply my views, my opinions.

And my quote was also my opinion, which upon further reflection, I completely stand by.

Scott Campbell
09-11-2010, 09:28 PM

Well, I think you failed in your attempt not to single anyone out. Miserably. :lol:

So what exactly did I say this time?

mraynrand
09-11-2010, 09:28 PM
I would hate for anyone to try to “think outside the box”.

why do this?

Fosco33
09-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Screw the Vikings and anyone who plays on their team. I'd love to beat them 3 times this year - so I hope they squeak into the playoffs and Favre has his last game at Lambeau.

While it's nice to have opposing fans contribute to the site/community, we don't really have any Bear or Lion fans posting here (regularly).

When this site was highly functioning, I don't recall much involvement from opposing fans in content creation beyond draft analysis or threads. So it's not like the site is falling apart without them.

That said - I do wish there were more homepage articles, analyses, rankings, etc. Beyond that - it's a simple site to go for the latest Packer articles, gameday threads and rumors. The insights of the solid posters makes it better than simply googling this same info on any number of other sites.

Go Pack!

falco
09-11-2010, 09:41 PM
nut up or shut up.

And when I look at you, I throw up. And then your mom goes around the corner and she licks it up.

RashanGary
09-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Well guys, for what it's worth, I still don't root for Favre because I think his mind is in a bad place. But, I've started to see a lot of things in myself that i never knew were there and I realize, I was a lot like Brett Favre (not talent wise, but personality). I hated him because I was him.

I've finally started to become the person I really want to be in life. I hope can get there too. In the mean time, I'm pulling for the Packers and against the Vikes and I still have some special rivalry toward him too. . .

I don't think I'll be nearly as involved in these spats as in the past. But I understand them. I don't judge, nor do I worry about what other people say or do here. Live and let live.

Administrator
09-11-2010, 09:57 PM

Actually we can't see your comments in that thread because they don't exist. And what the fuck (excuse my Romanian) is up with locking the thread? God forbid you allow the people here to vent about you keeping this place in worse repair than a fucking plague infested hamster cage.

Any time there's any discussion about how to improve this fucking place, you freak the fuck out, make some grand pronouncements, lock the thread, and then nothing happens. What's it been? Two goddamn years? Not sure how you can be such a defensive pussy about something you obviously don't give a shit about.

Sorry for the namecalling, but it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past time for you to nut up or shut up.

wow. I locked the thread while I was posting a response because I wanted it to be complete and on the 1st page. I was the 19th comment, and it took me the last 30 minutes or so to respond to everything.

It's there now, not sure if you'll call it "nutting up or not" but we'll see.

swede
09-11-2010, 10:06 PM
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/61260146-dr-laura.jpg

In an act of interweb violence the swede stuns you with a picture of Dr. Laura.

My contribution to the inhospitality of the thread.

Administrator
09-11-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm going to have nightmares thanks to swede.

mraynrand
09-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Geeezus! Poor Doc Laura! At least she still has her dog!

http://bluraymedia.ign.com/bluray/image/article/994/994984/theres-something-about-mary-20090615050344742-000.jpg

RashanGary
09-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Great timing for the lost members to show up and bring this crap into opening day.

Gee, glad you could make it. It's just like old times again.

Freak Out
09-11-2010, 10:39 PM
I have no idea who Dr. Laura is and I have to say I'm thankful for it.

mraynrand
09-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Great timing for the lost members to show up and bring this crap into opening day.

Gee, glad you could make it. It's just like old times again.

There's nothing to worry about - Joe is saving the world from the poison of Packerrats.

Tarlam!
09-12-2010, 02:26 AM
I find it really sad that we've lost members. I especially miss OPF and PiP. Obviously Bretsky and Rastak. I wish Nutz would contribute more.

I was delighted to see Seven and Michelle make contributions recently.

But we've had threads on this and efforts to write emails to these posters. In fact, Bretsky got me to come back after I refused to let God get mixed up with Football (MOBB DEEP post from last season). I got angry, calmed down and started posting again.

There are about 3 posters I wouldn't miss, but I just named 4 I really do miss. I'm sure some people would rather see my ass out the door, but a few others value my contributions. It's the same in life, right?

I hope we can argue and disagree without it getting personal; that's the only thing I take offense about.

SkinBasket
09-12-2010, 08:43 AM

wow. I locked the thread while I was posting a response because I wanted it to be complete and on the 1st page. I was the 19th comment, and it took me the last 30 minutes or so to respond to everything.

It's there now, not sure if you'll call it "nutting up or not" but we'll see.

Well, I guess I still stand by the content of my post, but I was extremely socially lubed up last night, so perhaps my choice of words weren't the most socially graceful. I hope no one was offended by by nut talk.

MichiganPackerFan
09-12-2010, 09:06 AM
...B didn't leave because people said unkind things about Favre. He left because of the Rat on Rat crime....

it's "PACK ON PACK CRIME" :evil:

retailguy
09-12-2010, 10:19 AM
...B didn't leave because people said unkind things about Favre. He left because of the Rat on Rat crime....

What does that mean?

MichiganPackerFan
09-12-2010, 10:22 AM

What does that mean?

I feel the phrase works much better this way.

swede
09-12-2010, 10:50 AM

What does that mean?

Brian: Excuse me. Are you the Judean People's Front?
Reg: Fuck off! We're the People's Front of Judea

falco
09-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I have no idea who Dr. Laura is and I have to say I'm thankful for it.

This is her...pictures taking, allegedly, by the man she was having an affair with some years ago...

http://www.bartcop.com/meng01.jpg

(link is NSFW)

falco
09-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm assuming that pic is mild enough to be posted in the RR...

MJZiggy
09-12-2010, 11:29 AM

What does that mean?

I was speaking specifically to this forum. Posters need to stop getting personal and worse letting the way someone feels about Favre dictate the way they respond to posters' comments about other things.

falco
09-12-2010, 11:34 AM

What does that mean?

I was speaking specifically to this forum. Posters need to stop getting personal and worse letting the way someone feels about Favre dictate the way they respond to posters' comments about other things.

I wonder why the compulsion to tell others how they should think about Favre? I enjoy the increased rivalry with the vikings now that Favre is over there. It makes for great football. I don't really care about Favre as a person; I appreciate the entertaining storyline he has woven for us. I do consider his actions to have soiled him as a hero for GBP, but not in any personal sort of way.

Administrator
09-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm assuming that pic is mild enough to be posted in the RR...

Let's convert it to a link instead of a photo so it's safe for work.

retailguy
09-12-2010, 12:53 PM

What does that mean?

I'm trying to understand what either phrase actually means. Do you agree with Ziggy's definition?

Iron Mike
09-13-2010, 07:15 AM
I don't know what all happened or what was said that drove Ras, Bretsky, and others away, but I will say I think this site is more friendly to opposing fans than the others I've been too. I used to hang around PPO, (Vikings site), and would get called all kinds of nasty name for no reason. Bears sites are the same way. Trust me it could be A LOT worse.

Speaking of which, I was REALLY looking forward to taunting Bearman and Dabaddestbear about how their team shit the bed yesterday......... 8-)

MJZiggy
09-13-2010, 05:57 PM

Speaking of which, I was REALLY looking forward to taunting Bearman and Dabaddestbear about how their team shit the bed yesterday......... 8-)

Yeah, but after that performance, it'll be midseason before they show their avatars around here...

Freak Out
09-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Yeah, but after that performance, it'll be midseason before they show their avatars around here...

You know the forum has hit rock bottom when the Bear trolls don't come around any more.

Joemailman
09-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Or maybe it means the Bears have hit rock bottom.

CaptainKickass
09-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Posters need to stop getting personal

I see this as a common theme - this is my observation:

Belonging to multiple forums on way different topics than Packers or Football - I can tell you that you might as well just accept that you will be personally attacked at some point, by someone. It's just the way it is online. Don't believe me? Go sign up for a half dozen or more forums, post regularly, and see how long it takes.

Longevity at a site counts for nothing. But people "feel" like it should. It doesn't.

Change is constant.
People are sensitive.
People come and go.
People always complain.

People are very good at complaining. When this site was doing it's best traffic wise - people complained. Now that it's been deemed to be stalled and shrinking, people complain. Hell - right now I'm complaining about how much and how often people complain. People are very good at complaining.

If this place dies, another will take its place. I will adjust.
If this place improves, it will draw more from other places, and that place will die. I will adjust.
If someone constantly insults me or personally attacks me on a web forum - what does that really mean? Probably that I should adjust. Maybe I should lay off the internet forum crack pipe for a while.

I don't get why people place blame for what a person in all honesty controls themselves.

MichiganPackerFan
09-14-2010, 01:03 PM

What does that mean?

I'm trying to understand what either phrase actually means. Do you agree with Ziggy's definition?

I apologize - with my tax deadline looming tomorrow, i haven't been on in a couple of days, which really sucks for the opening week of the season.

I was more intent on making a slightly humorous post than analyzing Zig's post. I think my approach here is the same as I live my life: i treat everyone with legitimate respect, regardless of opinion. I also tend to be a very patient person. I think that everyone here has a different perspective. Zig wants to be able to express her opinion without censorship, 007 wants to be able to post without feeling like she directly or indirectly is under attack. I think that it should never get personal (except to maybe Harlan: I miss that Blue Bitch!). I missed the knowledge and banter here for the couple of years I was gone, and everyone missed the absent posters (well, MOST of 'em).

MichiganPackerFan
09-14-2010, 01:06 PM

Oh, and yes, I could totally be on board with this definition. Phrasing up in the air still, but the definition is sound.

retailguy
09-14-2010, 02:07 PM

What does that mean?

I apologize - with my tax deadline looming tomorrow, i haven't been on in a couple of days, which really sucks for the opening week of the season.

I was more intent on making a slightly humorous post than analyzing Zig's post. I think my approach here is the same as I live my life: i treat everyone with legitimate respect, regardless of opinion. I also tend to be a very patient person. I think that everyone here has a different perspective. Zig wants to be able to express her opinion without censorship, 007 wants to be able to post without feeling like she directly or indirectly is under attack. I think that it should never get personal (except to maybe Harlan: I miss that Blue Bitch!). I missed the knowledge and banter here for the couple of years I was gone, and everyone missed the absent posters (well, MOST of 'em).

Funny. I finished my last 1120 last night. Same guy is late every year. Gets it in at the wire every year. Gets my highest possible billing rate too.

Now back to all the personal extensions I have.... (And I'm just doing it part time now....) :P