PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ron Kramer

Scott Campbell
09-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Packers standout Ron Kramer passes away
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 11, 2010 7:20 PM ET
The former Packers and Lions tight end Ron Kramer has passed away at the age of 75 at his home.

An All Pro in 1962, Kramer was perhaps most famous for his two touchdowns caught in the 1961 championship win over the Giants. He played seven years for the Packers and three in Detroit.

Kramer was the fourth overall pick in the 1957 draft and caught 229 passes as a pro. His cause of death is unknown.

Patler
09-11-2010, 11:28 PM
A very under-appreciated player. Over shadowed by John Mackey, but a great player too few fans know about. :(

TravisWilliams23
09-12-2010, 12:29 AM
R.I.P. Ron.

I remember the nickname "Big Oaf" for Kramer.

After he had decimated the 1961 Minnesota Vikings' secondary, Coach Norm Van Brocklin asked Vince Lombardi if he was going to bring the 'big oaf' with him to the next game. The nickname 'Oaf' stayed with Kramer.

I really hated it when he went to Detroit near the end of his career but
he was going home to Michigan and getting a raise. It would have been nice if he could have played in one of the first Super Bowl games for Green Bay. He was instrumental in the Packers success during the early 60's.

mraynrand
09-12-2010, 01:11 AM
R.I.P. Ron.

I remember the nickname "Big Oaf" for Kramer.

After he had decimated the 1961 Minnesota Vikings' secondary, Coach Norm Van Brocklin asked Vince Lombardi if he was going to bring the 'big oaf' with him to the next game. The nickname 'Oaf' stayed with Kramer.

I really hated it when he went to Detroit near the end of his career but
he was going home to Michigan and getting a raise. It would have been nice if he could have played in one of the first Super Bowl games for Green Bay. He was instrumental in the Packers success during the early 60's.

I was watching that 100 best NFL players, and they had Norm on there in the 80-90 range. Showed a clip of him smoking on the the sidelines as the ATL coach. LOL.

RIP, Ron Kramer!