PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Plays....

gureski
04-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Just for fun, I thought I'd start a topic to reminisce about the many great (and some not-so-great) plays we have witnessed over the years as Packer fans.

I'll just toss out some of my favorite to get things started....

Who could not love that Instant Replay-Packers/Bears game? After further review.....and the crowd goes nuts. The fact that Bears put an asterick next to that game in their yearbook makes it that much better. Just a great moment for all Packer fans as the ball bounced our way for the first time in a decade vs the Bears.

I remember a Pre-Season game with the Packers vs Oakland, in Oakland where Favre made this amazing play... The team was on the 7 yard line or something and Favre dropped back to pass. DT D.Russell was in without being touched and just exploded into and through Favre. As Favre's body goes horizontal with Russell on top of him, Favre side arms the ball on a line into the corner/sideline of the endzone and into the arms of ...I think Terry Mickens for a TD. Just an awesome play with a real scare to all Packer Fans and coaches after as Favre got up slowly. He was done for the day after that shot.

And another memory worth mentioning...and I don't know why I always remember this....was Blair Kiel coming into a game vs the Seahawks IN Milwaukee...at County Stadium..maybe 1988?. Dave Kreig was kicking our butts and the Pack was down like 28-0 before Kiel came in and just lit up the late third and all of the 4th quarter to ALMOST pull that game out. He threw 3 or 4 TD's after never playing hardly at all prior to this game and being our third string QB. It was cool to see him wing it.

And on the bad side.....The Fridge ramming it in on Monday Night against us.

That Superbowl Loss to the Broncos still hurts...

And pick a loss to the cowboys in the mid-90's.

Deputy Nutz
04-09-2006, 06:22 PM
ah what super bowl loss to the Broncos? I don't know what the heck you are talking about.

Favorite all time play was in overtime against the Lions in Detroit, where Favre was rolling to his left and started to feel the pressure, when he whipped around and launched the ball over fifty yards acrosss his body. I was thinking, "Where the hell is he throwing this fucking ball?" Apparently he was throwing it into the arms of a waiting Sterling Sharpe to win the Packers first Playoff game in over 20 years.

HarveyWallbangers
04-09-2006, 08:06 PM
That game wasn't in OT, nutz, but I'll overlook that. Good play.

Here are three of my favorite obscure plays:

1) James Lofton on ~80 yard reverse for a TD on Monday Night at the Giants in 1982. That was the last game before the strike and the Pack was 2-0. Got the feeling that a good team was going to get a great season spoiled.
2) Tim Harris getting a safety vs. the Vikings in 1988, and the Packers dominated a much better Vikings team at the Metrodome.
3) Darrell Thompson goes the length of the field to clinch a brutally cold game vs. the Raiders in 1993 to give the Packers their first playoff berth in 11 years. That was the game that LeRoy Butler started the Lambeau Leap.

billy_oliver880
04-09-2006, 08:28 PM
1995 I believe....Bryce Paup returns an interception for a td in a monday night game against the Bears. Pooring rain on Soldier Field and the cool throwback unis. :mrgreen:

Partial
04-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Brett Favre to Andre Rison for the score. Brett tears his helmet off and sprints across the field with his arms in the air and a huge child-like smile on his face in the most infamous film strip of his career

Whenever Gilbert did the gravedigger.

Wayne Simmons jarring hit that caused the fumble that newsome ran back for a score. That was one of my favorite games that i've ever seen.

gureski
04-09-2006, 08:51 PM
ah what super bowl loss to the Broncos? I don't know what the heck you are talking about.

Favorite all time play was in overtime against the Lions in Detroit, where Favre was rolling to his left and started to feel the pressure, when he whipped around and launched the ball over fifty yards acrosss his body. I was thinking, "Where the hell is he throwing this fucking ball?" Apparently he was throwing it into the arms of a waiting Sterling Sharpe to win the Packers first Playoff game in over 20 years.

I'm not lying when I say that I was there to see that and that is definitely one of my big memories. The Silverdome was in horrified shock as Sharpe hauled that ball in. They were stunned! It was beautiful. All 3 of Sharpe's TD's that day were exceptional plays. Teague had that record INT runback that day too. Just a great game to watch.

gureski
04-09-2006, 08:59 PM
I have another...and I happened to have been at this game too...

Packers hold Barry Sanders to -1 yards rushing in the first playoff game in Lambeau Field in over a decade. I think it was January of 1995. Reggie White and the crew crushed the best RB in the NFL and helped toss the Lions out of the playoffs for the second consecutive year. I think it was Craig Hentrich running out of the endzone for a safety instead of punting the ball and the Lions players were so pissed they cornered him and tried to rough him up before our guys came over. Next day...front page of the Journal was Hentrich standing with like 3 pissed off Lions players around him.

I also love that game vs the 49ers that was mentioned previously when the Packers went into S.F. and just man-handled the 49ers...starting with Simmons just planting Brent Jones on his ass time and time and time again.

Bad memory....just to keep balance.... Owens catching that game winning TD in Holmgren's last game as coach. In the playoffs...in S.F.... a play or two after the ref's had screwed up a Jerry Rice fumble that should've ended the game.

Another bad memory....T.Buckley not thinking Jim McMahon could throw the ball 40 yards so he lets his man go and covers the short guy on the last play of a game at the Metrodome. McMahon tosses the ball over Buckley's head and we lose the game.

Then there's the T.J. Rubley game....that buffoon. Audibles and costs us the game...

The bad are as much a part of us as the good.

Remember that game in the mid-90's where the Packers were playing Buffalo and it went down to the wire only to have Joe Simms called for holding in the endzone for a safety to end the game?

HarveyWallbangers
04-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Another bad memory....T.Buckley not thinking Jim McMahon could throw the ball 40 yards so he lets his man go and covers the short guy on the last play of a game at the Metrodome. McMahon tosses the ball over Buckley's head and we lose the game.

Then there's the T.J. Rubley game....that buffoon. Audibles and costs us the game...

I was at both of these games at the Metrodome. I haven't been back since. I was also at the Herschel Walker game that we got beat in. It was the game right after the trade from Dallas, and let's just say that the traded looked pretty good for Minnesota after this first game. I'm 0-3 watching the Pack at Metrodome. I'm 11-1 in Green Bay, 1-0 in Seattle, 0-1 in Tennessee, and 1-0 in Arizona.

oregonpackfan
04-10-2006, 06:14 AM
One of the most memorable passes I have ever seen Favre throw occurred half a dozen years ago. The Packers had the ball on the opponents' 40 yard line. Favre went back to pass but had a tremendous pass rush coming at him.

He rolled backwards and to his right. He evaded the rush and saw Antonio Freeman improvising a pattern by breaking from the right side of the field to the middle. Favre set up and heaved the ball as hard as he could to Freeman in full stride at the 5. Freeman caught it and went in for the score.

Both of the announcers marveled that Favre threw the ball "On a rope." In other words, Favre threw the ball with such velocity, it traveled 35 yards with virutally no arc.

The next day, several of my non-Packer fan co-workers were in unified amazement at the pass. One of them was a former Pac-10 player who stated he never saw ANY quarterback, college or pro, throw a pass like that.

Oregonpackfan

MJZiggy
04-10-2006, 07:02 AM
What about that pass years ago where he threw it to, I think, Antonio and he slipped and everyone thought the ball hit the turf so no one touched him, but hit hit his hip and he caught it and got up and ran in for an easy 6. That one left a few mouths hanging open.

Iron Mike
04-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Just for fun, I thought I'd start a topic to reminisce about the many great (and some not-so-great) plays we have witnessed over the years as Packer fans.

I remember watching the NFC Championship game in '95 where I saw two Dallas OL pulling Reggie White by the arms BACKWARDS without getting a holding call. I knew it was over for the Packers when I saw that--there was no way to overcome all the holding, Erik Williams' poking Reggie in the eyes AND Michael Irvin pushing off!!!! :evil:

Iron Mike
04-10-2006, 07:22 AM
Wayne Simmons jarring hit that caused the fumble that Newsome ran back for a score. That was one of my favorite games that I've ever seen.

I remember the Journal had the picture on Monday after that of all of the 40-Whiner Offensive Linemen standing around covered in mud and looking like they didn't know what just hit them.

Iron Mike
04-10-2006, 07:24 AM
Remember the Wildcard vs. Seattle??

Matt Hasselbeck: "We want the ball, 'cuz we're gonna score!"

Al Harris: "No, you're not!"

http://web.wireimage.com/images/Thumbnail/1992099.jpg

MJZiggy
04-10-2006, 07:28 AM
I LOVE that one!

Iron Mike
04-10-2006, 07:35 AM
How 'bout Reggie flattening Da Bears???

http://www2.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/insider/dec04/reggie10-ss.jpg

gureski
04-10-2006, 08:17 AM

I remember watching the NFC Championship game in '95 where I saw two Dallas OL pulling Reggie White by the arms BACKWARDS without getting a holding call. I knew it was over for the Packers when I saw that--there was no way to overcome all the holding, Erik Williams' poking Reggie in the eyes AND Michael Irvin pushing off!!!! :evil:

It's funny you mention this because all my memories of those Dallas vs. G.B. games included liberal refereeing. Irvin used to put both hands on our DB's and use their sholder pads as a launching pad to go up and snare balls and he never got called once for pushing off. He and Harper both.

And don't get me started on the holding that was allowed in those games and in the Superbowl loss to Denver. It was an injustice to say the least. Jurkovich getting taken out with that cheap shot by Williams was B.S. and it didn't even garner a penalty. That was such a dirty play.

gureski
04-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Who can forget the time Reggie White took Chris Carter and FLUNG him....as in picked up and threw him...at a stunned Warren Moon in a game in Minnesota.

I remember seeing Moon's eyes light up as he saw his blocker sent sprawling into the air and into Moon's feet. It was one of those WOW plays.

The Walter Stanley Thanksgiving Day highlight return where he hops and hops and hops down the final yards of the sideline towards a TD. It would go on to be shown on highlight films for years after. I think it was a punt return but I could be wrong.

MadtownPacker
04-10-2006, 08:30 AM
The underhand TD pass while running to the sideline from Favre to Green on MNF against the queens in 2000.

All the hard hits Nick Collins delivered last season but especially the one to Chad Johnson. He hit him so hard he forgot to make his CB list the rest of the season!! :lol:

Guiness
04-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Bad memory....just to keep balance.... Owens catching that game winning TD in Holmgren's last game as coach. In the playoffs...in S.F.... a play or two after the ref's had screwed up a Jerry Rice fumble that should've ended the game.

Owens catching that TD is w/o a doubt my wrost Packer memory, bar none. I was still so pissed about the NBA style no-call on Rice, then that happened. T.O. came of age that day.

One other play I can never seem to shake is the the loss to Philly in at home in '03.
Horrible conditions, and a low scoring game. We were up by 4, so the Eagles need a TD. They're driving the field, but running out of time. Harris was doing ok, but getting beat a bit - he didn't look right. Suddenly, deep in Pack territory, Harris is pulled for Jue!!! Very next play, McNabb goes to that side and beats Jue for a TD on a little pass that had more arc than a rainbow. Todd Pinkston, I think.

McMahon beating T.Buck in the Metrodome - I'd clean forgotten that he played that one season in Minn. Don't know that I ever saw that play.

HarveyWallbangers
04-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Two of the better underrated throws I've seen from Favre. Against Cincinnati, he had a window about the size of a football, and he got it in there for a TD to Mark Ingram, I believe, between 3 defenders.

My favorite is one against New England on Monday night. He rolled to his right, flung it over the middle about 30 yards down the field, and hit Chmura for a TD between two defenders.

Guiness
04-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Now for my Favs...

The '96 playoff win at 3COM. The whole damn game. Going there, not supposed to have a chance against them. The biggest story before the game was the cushions 3Com supplied for every seat...

I'm trying to pin down a specific Ahman green run, but I can't because it's never been his long, spectacular runs I like. The ones that I admire are those that go for 5 yards, and end with a linebacker being levitated :mrgreen:
And he's had a pile of those!

gureski
04-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Another one....with a cast on one hand....Antonio Freeman dives to make an amazing catch, crossing into the endzone (I'm pretty sure) in the process in a game versus the Bears...in Chicago sometime during that Superbowl winning Season. Just a great play and he did it with a cast on. What happened to that guy...hey?

oregonpackfan
04-10-2006, 10:27 AM
What about that pass years ago where he threw it to, I think, Antonio and he slipped and everyone thought the ball hit the turf so no one touched him, but hit hit his hip and he caught it and got up and ran in for an easy 6. That one left a few mouths hanging open.

MJZiggy,

That WAS a phenonmenal play! If I remember correctly, that play took place on a MNF game against the despised Minnesota Vikings. The Pack went on to win the game.

Oregonpackfan

oregonpackfan
04-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Remember the Wildcard vs. Seattle??

Matt Hasselbeck: "We want the ball, 'cuz we're gonna score!"

Al Harris: "No, you're not!"

http://web.wireimage.com/images/Thumbnail/1992099.jpg

That was the kinid of play where the late Jackie Gleason would chime, "How sweet it is!"

Oregonpackfan

CyclonePackFan
04-10-2006, 01:01 PM

MJZiggy,

That WAS a phenonmenal play! If I remember correctly, that play took place on a MNF game against the despised Minnesota Vikings. The Pack went on to win the game.

Oregonpackfan

Oregon,

That play was in OT on Monday Night against the Vikings, it won us the game. I will always remember the Viking CB dancing around while Free got up and started running.

Actually, on the last MNF game last year , they rated the greatest plays in Monday Night Football history, since it was changing networks. That play, Free's miracle catch, was #1.

It's not a single play, but I'd like to meantion the entire first half of Brett's "Game of his life" (I think that's what they coined it) against Oakland the day after his father died.

Most. Amazing. Performance. EVER.

swede
04-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Wayne Simmons jarring hit that caused the fumble that newsome ran back for a score. That was one of my favorite games that i've ever seen.

That was my favorite play. It was the moment that I believed that the Packers were good enough to beat anybody. They had arrived! ( Iwas holding my one year old son and I nearly spiked him in happiness.)

I think that "95 team was better than the '97 team that went to the SB.

woodbuck27
04-11-2006, 12:21 PM

That was the play of the year in the NFL. That play but all the dramatics leading up to it beginning with that Viking missed FG to set up OT.

An amazing Monday night game for those Packer Fans that hung in there.

Fosco33
04-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Darrell Thompson goes the length of the field to clinch a brutally cold game vs. the Raiders in 1993 to give the Packers their first playoff berth in 11 years. That was the game that LeRoy Butler started the Lambeau Leap.

Wasn't this also when Butler forced a fumble that Reggie recovered and ran like 10 yards before pitching it to Butler, who scored his first career touchdown and celebrated by jumping into the stands.

I loved the SB victory - especially Brett's scramble and dive for a TD. That one almost topped when he went completely horizontal and ran about 10 yards vs. Atlanta at Lambeau for a TD to get the Pack in the playoffs (and Chewy tackled him :smile:) I remember as a kid, cutting that photo out of the Journal and having it on my wall for years.

packinator
04-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Wow! Not a single play over 12 yrs old!!

How about Chester Marcol (most likely with a blood alcohol content of .09 or higher) catching his own blocked field goal and sort of running into the end zone?

Or the play simply known as THE sneak in the ice bowl?

Little Whiskey
04-11-2006, 03:22 PM
yancy thingpen dropping the touchdown pass to had us the game and the divisional crown. I was sitting in that endzone and didn't know what happend until the crowd erupted. I thought he caught it, as he was wide open.

The playoff game against the lions were brett threw the pass a mile in the air to sterling for the win. If i remember correct, Brett over threw him on a similar pass on the play before. the lions left sterling wide open streaking down the sidelines on two consecutive plays.

Fosco33
04-11-2006, 04:27 PM
[quote="Little Whiskey"]yancy thingpen dropping the touchdown pass to had us the game and the divisional crown. I was sitting in that endzone and didn't know what happend until the crowd erupted. I thought he caught it, as he was wide open.quote]

Ah, yes - the Merry Christmas play. In Germantown, Yancy's brother/cousin was the manager of a McDonalds (I know - kinda odd) - man we gave him so much shit after that gift.