View Full Version : Punter Jon Ryan's hope - closer to reality

woodbuck27
08-04-2006, 10:25 AM
FRI., AUG 4, 2006 - 1:28 AM

Packers: Ryan's hope closer to reality

JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com

GREEN BAY - The sales clerk behind the counter at the Bay Park Square mall Gap had no idea. Neither did the server at the Old Chicago pizza joint down the street, nor the cashier at the Stadium Citgo across from Lambeau Field.

When Jon Ryan goes pretty much anywhere in this town, he looks like ... well, pretty much everybody else around here - from his fair skin (he has to load up on sunblock before practice) to his tousled red semi-mullet (the kid's from Canada, after all); from the way he dresses (t-shirt, flip-flops, ratty cargo shorts, old-school logo Milwaukee Brewers hat) to the way he talks ("Eh" is a big part of the lexicon both in Saskatchewan and in Northeastern Wisconsin).

"If you just saw me walking down the street, you'd never guess I was an NFL football player," Ryan admitted between the Green Bay Packers' two training-camp practices Thursday. "I'm a pretty average-looking guy."

Perhaps, but that anonymity could change soon. Ryan may be an average-looking guy, but he has an extraordinary leg.

A week into camp, Ryan has done nothing to squander his lead in the Packers' punting derby over incumbent B.J. Sander, whom Ryan out-kicked throughout offseason workouts. He is first on the official depth chart and whenever he and Sander punt during practice, Ryan gets to go first.

"He's earned that right," special teams coordinator Mike Stock said.

Although Stock insists that the competition will continue through the team's preseason games, it would take quite the collapse by the seemingly unflappable Ryan for Sander to reclaim the job. Ryan consistently kicks the ball farther than Sander, and his hangtime and get-off times have steadily improved. Sander, a third-round pick in 2004 by ex-coach and general manager Mike Sherman, simply doesn't have as much leg power as Ryan.

"I don't worry too much about what B.J.'s doing or how he's punting. I worry about myself," said Ryan, who attended the University of Regina in his home town in Saskatchewan and was a third-round pick in the 2004 CFL draft. "And if I keep punting the way I am, things will work themselves out. So right now, I'm happy to be first on the depth chart, but it's a long way from being over."

Even before he set a CFL single-season record for gross punting average (50.6 yards) last season, Ryan was on the Green Bay pro personnel department's radar, and the Packers were one of several teams that went after him this winter.

"Our pro scouts - Reggie McKenzie, Eliot Wolf, Tim Terry - do a lot of work on the Canadian side during the summer. When all of us are on vacation, they're up in Canada traipsing around and going to training camps," general manager Ted Thompson said Thursday, trying to explain how Ryan ended up here. "It became apparent that (Ryan) was considered by many people (to be) the best prospect to come to the NFL."

Ryan impressed the Packers during his Jan. 16 tryout - his strong leg was "very evident from Day One," coach Mike McCarthy said - and while the New York Giants actually outbid the Packers by $5,000 in what Thompson called a "fairly heated competition," Ryan accepted Green Bay's offer of a $35,000 signing bonus and joined the club Feb. 1.

That's a lot of money for a "street" free agent, but not so much when you consider the Packers gave Sander a $583,250 signing bonus. That $35,000 is now looking like money well-spent, especially given the importance of kicking in the Wisconsin weather - something Sander struggled with last season.

"You've got to have a good leg up there," said Stock, who played in the CFL in the early 1960s. "This guy, it's not like he got to kick in Miami. He went to Toronto. Montreal. Hamilton. Edmonton. Saskatchewan. Calgary. He didn't go down to Atlanta and kick in the (Georgia) Dome. Or Tampa. Or Houston. Or Arizona. So he's had success in those elements. I'm not going to be surprised if he can have success in these elements."

Stock admitted he has been pleasantly surprised by Ryan's hangtimes but would still like to see him get the ball off faster and improve his pooch kicks. Ryan will get his first true live action in Saturday night's intrasquad scrimmage and the Aug. 12 preseason opener at San Diego.

If all goes well, he hopes to make Green Bay his home for a long time - and a place he might even be recognized.

"In terms of the city, I feel like I fit in real well. It feels just like home," Ryan said. "When I first got here, I was talking to some guys from Texas, and they were like, 'Man, this is nothing like home.' And I said, 'This feels exactly like home to me.' Hopefully if things work out here, I'd love to move here and start a family here."

HOLD THE FAITH - GO PACKERS IN 2006 !!

ND72
08-04-2006, 10:32 AM
At practice on monday, my buddy and I started timing both BJ and Ryan on their time from getting the snap to kick, and then hang time, and longest kick.

Get-Off Hang Time Long
BJ 0.9sec. 4.5sec. 44
1.0sec. 4.9sec 54
0.8sec. 4.5sec. 48

Ryan 1.7sec. 3.8sec. 52
1.5sec. 4.0sec. 60
1.8sec. 3.4sec. 56

those were eachs 3 punts they had in punt team. Sorry i didn' tpost this earlier in the week, my buddy had the piece of paper. Just so you are also aware....Coach McCarthy's "requirements" are a 1.4 get off, 4.2 hang time.

I like Ryan cause he has a booming leg...but everythign else is really slow or low. He takes a bit to get off, he's ball doesn't stay up as well, and he doesn't have as much control over his direction of the ball as BJ has. i'm still saying BJ will win the punt-challenge.

pittstang5
08-04-2006, 11:13 AM
I like Ryan cause he has a booming leg...but everythign else is really slow or low. He takes a bit to get off, he's ball doesn't stay up as well, and he doesn't have as much control over his direction of the ball as BJ has. i'm still saying BJ will win the punt-challenge.

I won't be surprised if BJ beats Ryan out, but all the hype that Ryan is getting makes it seem like BJ is a nobody. I'm anxious to see them in pre-season.

I wonder how the "holding" competition is going as well.

woodbuck27
08-04-2006, 11:20 AM
I just want the best for OUR team from either of these men - locked in a real fight to be OUR punter.

I'm sure of this. ** Only - the BEST MAN will win.

TRUST this. Jon Ryan is really special and has answered every bell.

note: By season's end .That man **, may not be OUR punter.

GO PACKERS ! !

Fosco33
08-04-2006, 12:07 PM
I think Ryan will be out BJ - the only concern for me is the snap-punt times (but if he's improving and gets to 1.5 he'll be fine). I'm okay w/ lower hang times if his gross average is 10-15 yards longer than BJ (1-1.5 seconds by returner could be added to hang time then).

MJZiggy
08-04-2006, 12:09 PM
We just need defenders that can keep up. :shock:

woodbuck27
08-04-2006, 12:11 PM
I think Ryan will be out BJ - the only concern for me is the snap-punt times (but if he's improving and gets to 1.5 he'll be fine). I'm okay w/ lower hang times if his gross average is 10-15 yards longer than BJ (1-1.5 seconds by returner could be added to hang time then).

We have to see Jon Ryan in games. The REAL DEAL.

Yet, really we were ugly in punting in 2005. That certainly points to a change. Another nail in a certain MAN's Packer Coffin.

GOD LOVE HIM !!

Fosco33
08-04-2006, 12:38 PM

Good call. And if he really can boot it 50-60 yards consistently, that's not saying much for our O. :neutral:

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2006, 12:48 PM
At practice on monday, my buddy and I started timing both BJ and Ryan on their time from getting the snap to kick, and then hang time, and longest kick.

Get-Off Hang Time Long
BJ 0.9sec. 4.5sec. 44
1.0sec. 4.9sec 54
0.8sec. 4.5sec. 48

Ryan 1.7sec. 3.8sec. 52
1.5sec. 4.0sec. 60
1.8sec. 3.4sec. 56

I don't want to doubt you, but I have a very hard time believing these numbers are accurate. If they were, then Ryan would not be #1 on the depth chart because those aren't acceptable get off and hang times. From what I've read from the reporters those numbers aren't accurate. There hasn't been THAT much of a difference in their times. B.J. gets it off a few tenths faster (and Ryan will need to improve), and has similar and perhaps slightly better hang times.

woodbuck27
08-04-2006, 12:49 PM

Good call. And if he really can boot it 50-60 yards consistently, that's not saying much for our O. :neutral:

No more of that back to the wall stuff! How many times did we see BJ have to punt from around OUR 20 yard line. That is too much pressure.

BooHoo
08-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Whoever wins? The punting must improve this year.

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Whoever wins? The punting must improve this year.

It was ugly last season, but so many times BJ Sander had incredible pressure on him.

Creepy
08-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Only one problem, it is August not December. Those 45 to 52 yard kicks by BJ end up being 36 to 42 yards. So by equation those kicks by Ryan devlop into 39 to 45 yards in December.

For those who think that Ryan has already kicked inthat weather, you may be a little off. He has p[ractiuced and I will say it is colder in May in Canada than in the US, but they play football during the summer. There season end when the NFL begins. Ryan isn't kciking that much in cold weather.

It will be more interesting when pre-season starts, that will show get off and hang time. May the better punter win.

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Ryan outpunts Sander again

Jon Ryan outpunted B.J. Sander in Tuesday’s practice. Ryan boomed a 58-yard punt with 5.13 seconds of hang time. Sander did have one strong effort – a 57-yard punt with 4.74 seconds of hang time.

-- Rob Demovsky, reporter, Green Bay Press-Gazette

woodbuck27
08-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Punting results in first Pre season game a 17-3 loss to "the San Diego Chargers".

Jon Ryan had the better punting night in the battle with B.J. Sander for the starting job.

On four punts, Ryan averaged 46.3 yards gross and 41.0 net. His long was a 55-yarder but his best overall punt was his third one, a 51-yarder that he angled out of bounds for no return.

BJ Sander averaged 36.7 yards on three punts, with a net average of 33.7.

GO PACKERS !

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2006, 03:25 PM
The numbers looked good, but Ryan did have two punts that didn't have good hang time and almost had two blocked. The coverage units bailed him out on the two line drives. He needs to hit the boomers, but his misses need to be better.

woodbuck27
08-13-2006, 03:31 PM
The numbers looked good, but Ryan did have two punts that didn't have good hang time and almost had two blocked. The coverage units bailed him out on the two line drives. He needs to hit the boomers, but his misses need to be better.

Puting you on the spot Harvey.

Does Jon Ryan make OUR team?

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2006, 03:36 PM
I think so, but it might end up being more because of his competition. If he doesn't show consistency, a guy on another roster might be on this team come the regular season.

Patler
08-13-2006, 03:44 PM
I think so, but it might end up being more because of his competition. If he doesn't show consistency, a guy on another roster might be on this team come the regular season.

I agree Harvey. Coaches abhor blocks and run backs. They will gladly give up a few yards in distance for increased hangtime and/or faster "get-off" time.

Ryan still has a month to improve. If he can improve some, they may be willing to go into the season with him, thinking he may continue to improve.

The Leaper
08-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Ryan almost ate a couple balls last night. Granted, the first one was a poor snap at his feet, but the second was a perfect snap and he still almost was blocked. If he doesn't improve his ability to get the kick off, I don't care if he averages 60 yards a kick...he won't stick around. I'll take 35 yards every time over 4 blocked punts on the season.

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Ryan having strong NFL preseason

Rob Vanstone, Leader-Post

Monday, August 14, 2006

Regina-born Jon Ryan got a charge out of his NFL preseason debut.

He also put a charge into the football, punting for an average of 46.3 yards for the Green Bay Packers in their 17-3 loss to the host San Diego Chargers on Saturday.

Sequentially, Ryan had punts of 41, 55, 51 and 38 yards. The best punt was the 51-yarder, which he angled out of bounds. He was also the holder on a 23-yard field goal by Billy Cundiff.

"I think it went well, for my first game,'' Ryan, 24, said Sunday.

"I was happy with it. In terms of the statistical numbers, if someone were to have told me before the game that I'd have a 46-yard average and a 41-yard net, I would definitely have taken it.

"But once you look back at it, you think, 'Oh, man, I could have hit that punt better,' or, 'I could have got a little more hang time there,' but I think it's always like that.''

Ryan also took a few moments to soak in the surroundings.

"It did kind of hit me a couple of times when I was standing on the sideline and you walk across the field and you walk by (Chargers star) LaDainian Tomlinson,'' Ryan said with a chuckle.

"Still, when I walk by Brett Favre, it's kind of like, 'Man, is this really happening? Am I really here?' It still kind of hits me every now and then that it's kind of a crazy situation.''

Ryan has enjoyed his interaction with Favre -- the Packers' superstar passer.

"If I walk by him, he actually knows my name, so I thought that was pretty good,'' Ryan said. "It's cool just to kind of be around him and just to see how he interacts with the media and the fans and the other players. You can learn a lot from a guy like that.''

The Sheldon-Williams Spartans and University of Regina Rams alumnus signed with Green Bay as a free agent in January, after he punted for a CFL-record average of 50.6 yards with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers last season.

Ryan is competing with incumbent B.J. Sander for the Packers' punting job. Sander punted three times for a 36.7-yard average, with a net of 33.7. Ryan and Sander, who have become friendly rivals, alternated punts throughout the game.

"It is kind of a weird situation, because we've been here since March 20,'' Ryan said. "When you work with a guy for six, seven, eight hours a day, you get a bit of a relationship and you become kind of friends. But, at the same time, when you're on the field you definitely want to outperform him every time.

"He's a good guy and I enjoy hanging out with him, but I don't feel bad at all when I beat him on the field.''

Ryan has also consistently outpunted Sander in mini-camp and training-camp sessions. However, the preseason opener was the biggest test to date. Did Ryan experience some jitters?

"Maybe a little bit,'' he said. "We had a little scrimmage last week at Lambeau Field and 64,000 people showed up. That was kind of a good way to get the nerves out. I wouldn't say I was used to it, but it was good to get those nerves out last week so they weren't quite as bad (Saturday) night.''

The Packers' next game is Saturday at home against the Atlanta Falcons.

"From what I've heard, with the kickers and punters, they're going to take their time with the decision and not rush into anything and kind of let things play out during the preseason and make a decision late in August or early September,'' Ryan said. "I've still got a ways to go.''

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2006

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Harvey, Patler and the Leaper.

Your all saying it's a wait and see.

I agree it's not a done deal, yet, it obviously appears that he's edging closer to his dream, and his Familys dream of him being a Green Bay Packer.

Jon Ryan's Father and Family are a BIG Packer fans.

Patler
08-14-2006, 01:06 PM
I agree that Ryan is probably leading the coompetition with Sander, but he is faced with the same thing all rookie punters face, the need for improved hang time and reduced get off time over what was ever required rom them before. It normally seems to take punters several years to get to the standards NFL teams want for those.

I'm not 100% convinced that the punter who will punt against the Bears is currently on the Packer roster. Nor am I convinced that the placekicker who will kick against the Bears is currently on the roster.

pittstang5
08-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Patler,

My feelings are the same. Does anyone out there know who could be available, i.e. who's carrying multiple kickers and/or punters? I would assume that a current FA like Eddinger wouldn't replace one of the Pack's kickers or punters. I think TT would have signed someone by now.

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 01:25 PM
I agree that Ryan is probably leading the coompetition with Sander, but he is faced with the same thing all rookie punters face, the need for improved hang time and reduced get off time over what was ever required rom them before. It normally seems to take punters several years to get to the standards NFL teams want for those.

I'm not 100% convinced that the punter who will punt against the Bears is currently on the Packer roster. Nor am I convinced that the placekicker who will kick against the Bears is currently on the roster.

Seeing Ted Thompson as I do. Don't hold your breath for anything different any time soon Patler.

I see Cundiff being OUR kicker (to at least start the 2006 season) and Jon Ryan OUR punter for some years (the Packers - lucked out with this young man and fact, his family loves OUR team and it's closer to home doesn't hurt).

I've always felt since the news of his interest in us began, that Jon Ryan is a serious upgrade from BJ Sander. I'm not concerned over jinxing Jon Ryan. I as Irish as they come too.

Jon Ryan will be OUR punter in 2006, and I expect that decision will be second guessed by Packer fans even into 2007 and whenever.

How in HELL could a Canadian born and developed punter at a Small Canadian University and the CFL's ALL TIME record holder as a punter, ever become a Green Bay Packer in such a vital role as punter? Therein, lies the answer.

Answer:

He's just plain and simple DAM good at his craft. He's had to prove it and he has wherever he's played, and he will continue to improve and prove his value to us.

Go Jon Ryan. GO GREEN BAY PACKERS !! :mrgreen:

Patler
08-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Woodbuck

My hesitancy regarding Ryan has nothing to do with him being from Canada. It has everything to do with him having four punts blocked last year. That's four more than all the NFL punters had last season.

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Woodbuck

My hesitancy regarding Ryan has nothing to do with him being from Canada. It has everything to do with him having four punts blocked last year. That's four more than all the NFL punters had last season.

I won't ask YOU, to back that up Patler. I respect that you have the facts down pat.

Instead - I'll do my own research on that matter.

A questions that I'll try to answer is:

What were the consequence of those four blocked punts, that you claim Jon Ryan had last year - with the Winnepeg Blue Bombers Vs. the benefits he gave to his team?

Patler. How easy will it be for him to adjust according to the speed of the NFL would be a matter of his dedication to a solid work ethic - that I believe he possess's. Is he willing to give, what it will take?

Yes !

I will add that it's not up to the punter in the NFL game to stand out there naked - to the opposing teams punting rush. He needs ST protection on punting attempts and certainly he can't lolly doll around. His punting style has to and can change to meet OUR teams needs for him. Nothing will likely give us his leg strengrth, as he is exceptional in that regard.

He will demonstrate the requirements to certainly be an upgrade over BJ Sander and go on from there. He has proven that from his first day with us.

If the Packers cut him before he plays in the regular season. I believe it would be a serious miscalculation. It would be an error to choose BJ Sander over Jon Ryan, on Ted Thompson's behalf. He won't choose that nail in his coffin. :mrgreen:

Ted Thompson not that foolish, and he's certainly under a microscope in Green Bay, now. BJ Sander was terrible last season. End of that !

I have said before, that maybe we don't have OUR future punter in TC but the best we've had since Craig Hentrich departed, is in my eyes -

Jon Ryan. Our future punter.

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Lions punter coming off his best season, and hopes to get better

8/12/2006, 3:30 p.m. ET
The Associated Press

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) — While the Detroit Lions struggled to 5-11 and fired coach Steve Mariucci late in the season, punter Nick Harris was busy putting together his best season, one that made him one of the NFL's most reliable specialists.

Harris led the NFL with 34 punts downed inside the 20-yard line and tied his career best with a 60-yard kick at Minnesota. His 43-yard average also was a career best. The first number was the most important as it forced opponents to start drives on a long field.

Practice and instinct, he said, make it happen.

"When you start with a ball around the 50, you need good hang time," Harris said, "but when you're closer in, you don't need it to hang as much. You just want to get it as close to the returner as you can.

"I just try to put it between the 12 and the 7. After a while you get a feel for it."

In practices, he concentrates on a spot a few yards inside the end zone, but adds that he can just sense the energy required for a certain distance.

"I've always had a feel for what a 37-yard punt is or what a 32-yard punt feels like."

Teammates have downed 114 punts inside the 20 during his five-year career.

Denver drafted him in the fourth round out of California in 2001 and he appeared to have a shot at the starting job there. The Broncos decided to keep longtime punter Tom Rouen, who doubled as placekicker Jason Elam's holder, and waived Harris at the end of the preseason.

Cincinnati claimed him and made him its starter, but released him five games into the 2003 season. The Lions signed him six days later to fill in for the injured John Jett. Harris performed well enough to keep the job and has been Detroit's punter since.

Working with special teams coach Chuck Priefer, whose punters have landed an NFL-best 170 kicks inside the 20 since 2000, has only helped.

"The biggest thing about him is that he takes an active interest in my mechanics," Harris said. "He doesn't cookie-cutter it and say this is how you should punt.

"He looks at the way I do things and works with that."

Comment: woodbuck27

Why can't the name Jon Ryan be inserted here next season Packer fans?

GO PACKERS !

Willard
08-14-2006, 02:40 PM
I can't find the source, but I remember reading aboot ( :wink: ) Ryan's 4 blocked punts last year. I have come close to posting this disturbing fact a couple of times, but hoped the NFL ST coaches would be capable of , well -- coaching -- to eliminate the problem.

My guess is all opposing ST coaches know Ryan's history and will send the dogs in for the block rather than optimizing for a return. This will only get more pronounced if Ryan does have any kicks blocked.

Ryan has a cannon for a leg. There is too much potential to give up on him now. Coach Stock needs to earn his paycheck and get this straightened out. Otherwise we may be seeing Ingle Martin (the new Ultimate Weapon!) taking snaps with the punt team!

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 02:57 PM
I can't find the source, but I remember reading aboot ( :wink: ) Ryan's 4 blocked punts last year. I have come close to posting this disturbing fact a couple of times, but hoped the NFL ST coaches would be capable of , well -- coaching -- to eliminate the problem.

My guess is all opposing ST coaches know Ryan's history and will send the dogs in for the block rather than optimizing for a return. This will only get more pronounced if Ryan does have any kicks blocked.

Ryan has a cannon for a leg. There is too much potential to give up on him now. Coach Stock needs to earn his paycheck and get this straightened out. Otherwise we may be seeing Ingle Martin (the new Ultimate Weapon!) taking snaps with the punt team!

That's funny. :mrgreen:

Jon Ryan's OUR punter. Count on it - and I'm a careful man with predictions, but this one is too obvious.

Maybe Ted will be a little gunshy after what we just saw with Underwood falling to rotten luck but I don't believe he should second guess himself with the Mark Roman release.

If he toss's Ryan in favor of Sander? That would be masochistic - maybe time for a quick wardrobe change into something restrictive. :mrgreen:

That isn't happening. :mrgreen:

Patler
08-14-2006, 02:58 PM
His blocks have been reported several times. Here is the most recent from JSO at the end of July:

"It's also crucial that Ryan punts well with a slightly faster delivery. In the CFL, Ryan averaged about 1.5 seconds from the time he caught the snap to the kick. NFL teams look for punters to get rid of the ball in 1.3 seconds or less. Though that final 0.05 of a second is a short time, it's meaningful because a blocked punt can lose a game.

"Ryan had four punts blocked last season in the CFL — an astonishingly high number — though he said none was because he got the ball off too slowly. He attributed the blocks to protection breakdowns and trying to punt a little lower than usual into strong winds.

"You can never have four blocks in a season. That's a lifetime or two lifetimes worth of blocked punts," Ryan said. "It was tough, but I have to take part of the responsibility."

Willard
08-14-2006, 03:04 PM
If he toss's Ryan in favor of Sander? That would be masochistic - maybe time for a quick wardrobe change into something restrictive. :mrgreen:

I also doubt BJ will beat Ryan (Sanders is toast), but I think there is a slight chance that TT brings in somebody else to look at if he is concerned that Ryan's delivery can't be improved.

Patler
08-14-2006, 03:05 PM
I think it was the Bengal's ST coach who said, after Ryans tryout with them, that he would enjoy working with Ryan because of his leg, but the changes needed to improve his speed and hang time were more than could be accomplished in one off-season. He said whoever signs him would have to accept the fact that he might have one or two blocked, and may kick a few linedrives with long returns. He went on to say that the second off season might be the real turning point for Ryan.

Willard
08-14-2006, 03:14 PM
I think it was the Bengal's ST coach who said, after Ryans tryout with them, that he would enjoy working with Ryan because of his leg, but the changes needed to improve his speed and hang time were more than could be accomplished in one off-season. He said whoever signs him would have to accept the fact that he might have one or two blocked, and may kick a few linedrives with long returns. He went on to say that the second off season might be the real turning point for Ryan.

Considering my pathetic performance in the Punt, Pass & Kick competition almost 30 years ago I will defer to the opinion of the special teams professional.

This could be exciting everytime the Pack has to punt. Perhaps a drinking game is in order: Down your entire beer or drink every time a punt is blocked. It will keep us interested, yet dull the pain at the same time. What do you think?

Patler
08-14-2006, 03:18 PM
This could be exciting everytime the Pack has to punt. Perhaps a drinking game is in order: Down your entire beer or drink every time a punt is blocked. It will keep us interested, yet dull the pain at the same time. What do you think?

That would encourage too many Packer fans to WANT punts to beblocked! :smile:

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 03:22 PM

That would encourage too many Packer fans to WANT punts to beblocked! :smile:

Ahhhhh Patler. Solid. :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 03:23 PM

I also doubt BJ will beat Ryan (Sanders is toast), but I think there is a slight chance that TT brings in somebody else to look at if he is concerned that Ryan's delivery can't be improved.

We are certainly prepared for that but first he needs to screw up.

pbmax
08-14-2006, 04:01 PM

Get-Off Hang Time Long
BJ 0.9sec. 4.5sec. 44
1.0sec. 4.9sec 54
0.8sec. 4.5sec. 48

Ryan 1.7sec. 3.8sec. 52
1.5sec. 4.0sec. 60
1.8sec. 3.4sec. 56

those were eachs 3 punts they had in punt team. Sorry i didn' tpost this earlier in the week, my buddy had the piece of paper. Just so you are also aware....Coach McCarthy's "requirements" are a 1.4 get off, 4.2 hang time.

N.D. I have never seen get off times that low, but since the same two people were taking the time, I assume at they measure the difference accurately.

Did anyone notice if the extra hop step was gone against S.D.? I thought he looked much smoother.

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 04:18 PM

Get-Off Hang Time Long
BJ 0.9sec. 4.5sec. 44
1.0sec. 4.9sec 54
0.8sec. 4.5sec. 48

Ryan 1.7sec. 3.8sec. 52
1.5sec. 4.0sec. 60
1.8sec. 3.4sec. 56

N.D. I have never seen get off times that low, but since the same two people were taking the time, I assume at they measure the difference accurately.

Did anyone notice if the extra hop step was gone against S.D.? I thought he looked much smoother.

pbmax:

His problem still hang time as per this:

Ryan has become a competent holder and has a much stronger leg than Sander. Ryan would finish him off if his hang times were more consistent. His four punts in San Diego averaged merely 3.80 seconds.

Fr. Bob McGinn's - Roster Analysis. 14 Aug. 2006.

BooHoo
08-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Hope TT gets the punting and kicking game figured out before the start of the season. Being the GM, he gets the credit or the blame. :smile:

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Hope TT gets the punting and kicking game figured out before the start of the season. Being the GM, he gets the credit or the blame. :smile:

Be careful. :mrgreen:

BooHoo
08-15-2006, 06:54 PM

Not an attack on TT at all. As GM the buck stops with him.

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 07:00 PM

Not an attack on TT at all. As GM the buck stops with him.

I do agree with that.

I expect that, YTed Thompson is under some pressure as it comes with the territory. I trust he'll respond for our immediate as well as OUR future good fortunes. I expect that from him also, as just one Packer fan. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH FOR 2006 !!

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 01:53 AM
Wed August 16,2006

By Chris Havel

RANT:

What do the Green Bay Packers and the Green Bay Blizzard have in common? Neither has a punter. The difference is the Blizzard has an excuse. The Packers' punters — B.J. Sander and Jon Ryan — leave plenty to be desired.

Sander gets decent hang time, and his getaway time has improved drastically, but he doesn't have the necessary leg strength. Sander is especially susceptible to short punts when the weather gets chilly.

Ryan has a powerful leg. There's no question about that. But he is susceptible to having punts blocked, and he is very inconsistent. Ryan will boom a 60-yard punt, and he will turn around and shank a 25-yarder. What happens when the Packers are backed up deep in their territory, and Ryan is a step from the back of the end zone, and he shanks it? Or worse, it gets blocked? The opposing team scores.

In a best-case scenario, Ryan finds the necessary consistency to perform in the NFL. So far, I don't see that happening.

In a worst-case scenario, Sander wins the job by default and the Packers are strapped with a mediocre (at best) punter.

It's time to bring another punter into the mix. Why bother trying to discover whether Sander or Ryan is better when neither is the answer?