PDA

View Full Version : How can the NFL expect these guys to play 18 game seasons?

gbpackfan
09-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Just look at the injuries today, in one game. Not only in the Packers game, but in the games around the league. Guys were dropping like flies. The NFL keeps pushing player safety to the point where there are too many chicken shit calls on the field. But when it comes to putting more money in owner's pockets, player safety isnt such a big concern.

Any thoughts?

Lurker64
09-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Larger rosters.

Patler
09-12-2010, 11:29 PM
So what are you suggesting, that they should play only one game? :lol:

gbpackfan
09-12-2010, 11:31 PM
NO games, it should all be madden. But you get my point, 16 games is tough enough. 18 will wreck these guys.

Lurker64
09-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Ultimately, I think that the 18 game season is not being proposed because the owners desperately want it. This is a maneuver in the collective bargaining. The owners will eventually offer the union a choice between an 18-game schedule and no rollback of player salaries (as a percentage of total revenue) or sticking with 16 games and rolling back player salaries (as a percentage of total revenue.) If we get 18 games, the owners are fine with that. If we stay with 16 games and the owners keep a bigger part of the pie, the owners are fine with that too.

pbmax
09-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Ultimately, I think that the 18 game season is not being proposed because the owners desperately want it. This is a maneuver in the collective bargaining. The owners will eventually offer the union a choice between an 18-game schedule and no rollback of player salaries (as a percentage of total revenue) or sticking with 16 games and rolling back player salaries (as a percentage of total revenue.) If we get 18 games, the owners are fine with that. If we stay with 16 games and the owners keep a bigger part of the pie, the owners are fine with that too.
I dunno about that. I think its the one surefire way to increase revenue. Remember, they have not realized all they hoped for out of the NFL Network.

gbgary
09-12-2010, 11:41 PM
need to keep it as is. going to 18 means two more hot weather games. dumb idea, just as playing overseas is.

mraynrand
09-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Remember, they have not realized all they hoped for out of the NFL Network.

Maybe that's because the programming and the talking heads suck. Kinda foreshadows the problem with expanded rosters, no?

mmmdk
09-13-2010, 08:08 AM
need to keep it as is. going to 18 means two more hot weather games. dumb idea, just as playing overseas is.

...rants from Texas. Keep pumping oil and screw the world!!!

Would a London team be called the "London British"? That would be as lame as a team called "Houston Texans".

Onwards people! Cowboys'n'Westerns philosophy ain't cool...I reckon!

A rant from Eurorat & I might add that an English NFL franchise could be named the "London Fairies". Very fitting :lol:

Still, a franchise in London would be awesome & an 18 game schedule is welcomed too.

All said in good...smashing fun - tallyho...I reckon!!!

pbmax
09-13-2010, 08:22 AM
The current talk is that the season would still start after Labor Day and they would extend the season two weeks (or three if they add a bye week) at the end. Look for a Super Bowl around March Madness.

gbgary
09-13-2010, 11:56 AM
The current talk is that the season would still start after Labor Day and they would extend the season two weeks (or three if they add a bye week) at the end. Look for a Super Bowl around March Madness.

march madness super bowl...that's insane. super bowl should only be in january. Packers should only play at noon on sundays, and no passports should ever be needed on a road trip. :)

Patler
09-13-2010, 12:14 PM

march madness super bowl...that's insane. super bowl should only be in january. Packers should only play at noon on sundays, and no passports should ever be needed on a road trip. :)

ALL teams should only play at their noon on Sunday, with west coast teams supplying the closing games and east coast/midwest teams supplying first games of Sunday doubleheaders. Saturdays are for college football, Fridays are for high school football, and Mondays through Thursdays are for, well, other things like meetings, church nights, rec league activities, and just doing things with and for your families/friends.

I guess I'm showing my age, huh? :oops:

Joemailman
09-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Are you okay with football on Thanksgiving? If you are, should the Packers play at Detroit every year? :wink:

gbgary
09-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Are you okay with football on Thanksgiving? If you are, should the Packers play at Detroit every year? :wink:

well...only if they're the noon game. on second thought no. let dallas have the short week.

Patler
09-13-2010, 12:53 PM

Yes, and Yes. The one exception to "Sundays only". One game on Thanksgiving, Packers at Detroit, outside. It's tradition!

pbmax
09-13-2010, 12:56 PM

ALL teams should only play at their noon on Sunday, with west coast teams supplying the closing games and east coast/midwest teams supplying first games of Sunday doubleheaders. Saturdays are for college football, Fridays are for high school football, and Mondays through Thursdays are for, well, other things like meetings, church nights, rec league activities, and just doing things with and for your families/friends.

Not at all. But let me tell you about this upstart ESPN television station where you have to PAY for the privilege of watching the team your tax dollars built a stadium for ....

Patler
09-13-2010, 01:03 PM

Not at all. But let me tell you about this upstart ESPN television station where you have to PAY for the privilege of watching the team your tax dollars built a stadium for ....

"Television"??? Some other new-fangled complication? Next you're going to tell me that they control who plays when and where, dictate timeouts and other such malarkey! I thought games were on the radio!

Joemailman
09-13-2010, 01:08 PM

Our inferior brand of football will never replace Australian Rules Football on ESPN.

mmmdk
09-13-2010, 01:11 PM

Our inferior brand of football will never replace Australian Rules Football on ESPN.

Good grief :shock:

Sparkey
09-13-2010, 04:24 PM

Would a London team be called the "London British"? That would be as lame as a team called "Houston Texans".

A rant from Eurorat & I might add that an English NFL franchise could be named the "London Fairies". Very fitting :lol:

Still, a franchise in London would be awesome & an 18 game schedule is welcomed too.

Maybe British American Tobacco can be the main sponsor of a new team in London, they can call them the London Fags. :lol:

imscott72
09-13-2010, 06:10 PM

I like your thinking..Sounds like a perfect week..

Pugger
09-13-2010, 06:37 PM
If they want to go to 18 games then the rosters must be enlarged and enough of this inactive list chit. We got burned yesterday because we put 2 D linemen on the inactive list and poor Pickett, Jenkins and Raji had to suck it up and play almost every D snap. Had we not had Wilson on the inactive list he could have spelled our big fellas after Harrell went down.

MichiganPackerFan
09-14-2010, 02:09 PM

I agree with that. I hate the late games when I have to work early, My only addition is to keep TWO, not THREE, thanksgiving day games. The Lions and Cowboys games. And bring back the damn six legged turkey. And drop the warmup robot into a bathtub.

And the 18 games sucks. Expanded rosters means more specialization and diluted talent.

mmmdk
09-14-2010, 04:32 PM

Maybe British American Tobacco can be the main sponsor of a new team in London, they can call them the London Fags. :lol:

Classic stuff :lol:

mmmdk
09-14-2010, 04:37 PM

I agree with that. I hate the late games when I have to work early, My only addition is to keep TWO, not THREE, thanksgiving day games. The Lions and Cowboys games. And bring back the damn six legged turkey. And drop the warmup robot into a bathtub.

And the 18 games sucks. Expanded rosters means more specialization and diluted talent.

...it's a job [the NFL] & I reckon ya need'em too! :P

Six legged turkey - YES! That makes sense :worship: I'm, somehow, gettin' peanut butter hungry...c-ya!

NewsBruin
09-15-2010, 09:19 PM
I really hope that the NFL does not go forward with the 18-game regular season schedule.

The network contracts come due after the 2013 season, and I'm sure they're looking for ways to increase their income. If they could point to a 2012 or 2013 season with higher ratings for the 2+18 versus the 4+16 schedule, then they could get more income from their biggest source.

But unless the NFL can get more broadcast money, I don't see how converting the games will get them any more income, and I would like to hear more from the "increased revenue" crowd where the extra money is going to come from. Preseason tickets, parking, and concessions still cost regular-season prices. Expand rosters and increase salaries (which the players should absolutely demand), and you're losing money, compared to past seasons, unless you can get more broadcast dollars.

I hope, as it was said above, that this is purely a bargaining chip by the league for the CBA. Most fans have not asked for extra regular-season games; they just didn't want to pay regular-season prices to watch guys who'll never make a 45-man roster. Surely the NFL wasn't clueless about the complaint, and hopefully, they're not heartless enough that they want to run their players into the ground quicker so fans will identify more with teams than individual players.

It just doesn't make sense to me that the NFL is finally admitting the legitimate and cumulative effects of head injuries, but out of the same mouth says there's nothing wrong with putting players out for 2 more games (I know it's not "more games" total, but the players won't be playing their token series and watching the rest from the sidelines on the regular-season games).

I hope the players stand their ground and refuse to negotiate an expanded season. The 16-games schedule is elegantly balanced, but physically grueling as it is. They should definitely refuse any offer that does not guarantee them, as a group, 2/16ths more money than they'd make in a 16-game schedule and expanded long-term health care to cover the effects of the pounding they take.

Patler
09-16-2010, 03:31 AM
But unless the NFL can get more broadcast money, I don't see how converting the games will get them any more income, and I would like to hear more from the "increased revenue" crowd where the extra money is going to come from. Preseason tickets, parking, and concessions still cost regular-season prices. Expand rosters and increase salaries (which the players should absolutely demand), and you're losing money, compared to past seasons, unless you can get more broadcast dollars.

Preseason games are mostly local broadcasts, sometimes associated with the local network affiliates, sometimes not. The broadcast revenue for those games is significantly less. Fare fewer commercials, no national advertising, etc. With two extra full-blown regional/national games for each team, broadcast revenue would like be significantly higher.