PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Grant, "significant" ankle injury per MM

imscott72
09-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Will be interesting to see how they handle this. Need to bring someone in obviously. Who's available?

Tony Oday
09-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Will be interesting to see how they handle this. Need to bring someone in obviously. Who's available?

Can we get Marshawn(sp?) Lynch for a 3rd?

rbaloha1
09-13-2010, 12:58 PM

Sounds good.

Patler
09-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Ahman Green sits by his phone and waits, and waits and waits......

Tony Oday
09-13-2010, 01:01 PM
BRING BACK SAMKON!!!!

Joemailman
09-13-2010, 01:01 PM
(How’s Justin Harrell?)
I’ll start off with the two significant injuries that occurred in yesterday’s football game. Justin Harrell suffered an ACL injury. He will be placed on IR. Justin will be lost for the season. And Ryan Grant also had a significant ankle injury. We’re still in the process of gathering all of the information. I know Ryan will not be available this week against Buffalo. I really do not have a timetable because we’re still doing more testing.

gbgary
09-13-2010, 01:06 PM
what about julius jones? former 'boy that was at seattle. think he has anything left?

mmmdk
09-13-2010, 01:09 PM
what about julius jones? former 'boy that was at seattle. think he has anything left?

In a trade? 'Cos Julius Jones rushed eight times for 18 yards against the 49ers in Week 1.

hoosier
09-13-2010, 01:15 PM
This reminds me a little bit of the injury to Dorsey Levens at the start of the 1998 season. Levens suffered a severe ankle sprain when he got tackled by Derrick Brooks and missed almost all of the remaining regular season games. In his absence Holmgren really struggled to find a viable replacement (Travis Jervey, Raymont Harris, Darick Holmes were all failures). It wasn't until the playoff game in San Fran that Levens was back at full strength and the Packers had a legitimate running game again.

I have more confidence in Brandon Jackson emerging than in TTs ability to bring in someone who can be an effective full-time runner. And we can also hope that McCarthy can find ways to do without the running game as long as the weather permits. But if Jackson isn't up to the job and the offense becomes one-dimensional then I worry about this line's ability to protect Rodgers.

mmmdk
09-13-2010, 01:29 PM
This reminds me a little bit of the injury to Dorsey Levens at the start of the 1998 season. Levens suffered a severe ankle sprain when he got tackled by Derrick Brooks and missed almost all of the remaining regular season games. In his absence Holmgren really struggled to find a viable replacement (Travis Jervey, Raymont Harris, Darick Holmes were all failures). It wasn't until the playoff game in San Fran that Levens was back at full strength and the Packers had a legitimate running game again.

I have more confidence in Brandon Jackson emerging than in TTs ability to bring in someone who can be an effective full-time runner. And we can also hope that McCarthy can find ways to do without the running game as long as the weather permits. But if Jackson isn't up to the job and the offense becomes one-dimensional then I worry about this line's ability to protect Rodgers.

What this guy said :five:

I actually thought Travis "the ST ace" Jervey would emerge as a super sub, especially after great game & win vs 49ers [1998] but didn't Jervey get injured himself? Vs Pittburgh in the NO LONGER CURSED STATE OF TRANSYLVANIA?

gbgary
09-13-2010, 01:32 PM

In a trade? 'Cos Julius Jones rushed eight times for 18 yards against the 49ers in Week 1.

D'OH! i thought they released him. it's clear from yesterday's stats he's got nothing left. :)

Joemailman
09-13-2010, 01:34 PM
They released him, but when he agreed to take a pay cut, they re-signed him.

mmmdk
09-13-2010, 01:41 PM

D'OH! i thought they released him. it's clear from yesterday's stats he's got nothing left. :)

'Hawks released him but thought otherwise. JJ might still have something left but doubtfull.

Nota bene: I wouldn't like to be the team that faces 49ers nextweek. Singletary will eat those players that doesn't virtually "die" on the field next sunday. Oh it's the SB Champ Saints on MNF [week 2] :shock: Good game!

pittstang5
09-13-2010, 02:12 PM

First thought when I saw Grant Limping off the field was of Green coming back to help out.

retailguy
09-13-2010, 02:20 PM

First thought when I saw Grant Limping off the field was of Green coming back to help out.

Does his contract with Omaha allow him to come back to the NFL? I seem to remember a story at the time indicating that he couldn't, looked a bit but couldn't find anything.

Sparkey
09-13-2010, 02:28 PM
What is the word on James Johnson from the practice squad ?

Noodle
09-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Is the Ahman Green thing really that far-fetched?

Since he was planning to play for that Omaha team, I'm guessing he's in decent shape. Green said in a recent article that he would love the chance to get back in the NFL, so mentally, he's ready. He knows the system, having played with GB last year. And maybe he could teach his fellow Husker B-Jack to run tough ALL the time.

Seems to me we could do a lot worse.

Tony Oday
09-13-2010, 02:37 PM

Or straight up for Hawk?

Brandon494
09-13-2010, 04:46 PM

Thats too much for Lynch, GM value their draft picks more then you think.

red
09-13-2010, 04:53 PM
i'd go 4th for lynch and then maybe go with the two headed approach once grant comes back and for a few seasons to come

it's amazing that lynch is only 24

maybe also give a call to dallas, they have 3 nice backs.

or we could just sit tight, bring in a fill in guy until grant gets back. its not like we have a difficult schedule over the next month

and it isn't like we really need to run the ball with a-rod, jennings, driver, finley, jones, and nelson

Joemailman
09-13-2010, 05:09 PM
I don't think TT would want anything to do with Lynch. I also don't think Dallas, or any NFC team, will want to help out the Packers with their RB problem. I think TT is probably going to cross his fingers and hope nobody gets hurt before either Grant or Starks are ready to go.

mraynrand
09-13-2010, 05:13 PM

What this guy said :five:

I actually thought Travis "the ST ace" Jervey would emerge as a super sub, especially after great game & win vs 49ers [1998] but didn't Jervey get injured himself? Vs Pittburgh in the NO LONGER CURSED STATE OF TRANSYLVANIA?

Jervey couldn't cut to save his life. The Levens injury was a break, and it was the exact same mechanism of injury. Hawk did this a few years back to (I forget who) and you see too many guys suffer the same break with the same kind of tackle. I thought for sure Grant had fractured his fibula. It will be very lucky if it's only a sprain.

Guiness
09-13-2010, 05:15 PM

Is he waiting for MM to fall out of bed, hit his head and call him?

obGraveDiggerQuote

Guiness
09-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Agreed that Dallas would be the best place to go looking for a back, they've got Choice, Jones and Barber - all of whom could likely start. But as someone else said in this thread, I don't see another contending (at least in their mind!) team giving the Packers anything they need.

I'm not necessarily in favour of bringing anyone in, I'd like to see what Jackson can do if given a couple of starts.

SkinBasket
09-13-2010, 05:23 PM
I know Lynch has been somewhat hampered by a boobish offense, but some of you seem to be confusing the player he was supposed to be with the player he has turned out to be. We've already got one Brandon Jackson. We don't need another one.

I wouldn't mind trading a bunch of stuff for Felix Jones though. A second and a third and Bishop, since he's so awesome.

Fritz
09-13-2010, 05:29 PM
I know Lynch has been somewhat hampered by a boobish offense, but some of you seem to be confusing the player he was supposed to be with the player he has turned out to be. We've already got one Brandon Jackson. We don't need another one.

I wouldn't mind trading a bunch of stuff for Felix Jones though. A second and a third and Bishop, since he's so awesome.

So would you then split carries between Jones and Grant when Grant gets back? Keep Jackson as your third down guy?

And why in God's name wouldn't you offer Dallas Atari Bigby? Or would that mean the Pack would then have to give up even higher draft choices along with the Bigster?

imscott72
09-13-2010, 06:04 PM
I don't think TT would want anything to do with Lynch. I also don't think Dallas, or any NFC team, will want to help out the Packers with their RB problem. I think TT is probably going to cross his fingers and hope nobody gets hurt before either Grant or Starks are ready to go.

I think Choice from Dallas would be made available for the right pick, but yea, you know how tight TT is with his picks.

Iron Mike
09-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Hmmmmm.........
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dIuw-pJie68/R0xNNmiaKEI/AAAAAAAAAZQ/jA87osJuico/s400/sherman-mike-gbp-1.jpg
What Would Shermy Do??

imscott72
09-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Hmmmmm.........
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dIuw-pJie68/R0xNNmiaKEI/AAAAAAAAAZQ/jA87osJuico/s400/sherman-mike-gbp-1.jpg
What Would Shermy Do??

Shermy would probably give up a 1st for Jones.. :roll:

mraynrand
09-13-2010, 06:12 PM
I just talked to an orthopod who saw the Grant injury - thinks it looks more like an Achilles strain/contusion - impact wasn't as lateral as the Levens injury.

red
09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
I just talked to an orthopod who saw the Grant injury - thinks it looks more like an Achilles strain/contusion - impact wasn't as lateral as the Levens injury.

to me it looked exactly like the jennings high ankle sprain

mraynrand
09-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Hmmmmm.........
What Would Shermy Do??

http://www.dack.com/images/weblog/mike-sherman-sleeping.jpg

Pugger
09-13-2010, 06:18 PM

Even if TT and company were interested, could Ahman Green get out of his contract in Omaha?

3irty1
09-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Ian Johnson - Arizona
Dimitri Nance - Atlanta
Curtis Steele - Baltimore
Joique Bell - Buffalo
Josh Vaughan - Carolina
Andre Anderson - Cleveland
Lonyae Miller - Dallas
Bruce Hall - Denver
Chris Ogbonnaya - Houston
Javarris James - New England
Brandon Minor - New Orleans
Charles Scott - NY Giants
Chauncey Washington - NY Jets
Martell Mallett - Philadelphia
Chris Henry - Seattle
Herb Donaldson - Tennessee
Ryan Torain - Washington

These are the guys on other teams' practice squads.

Lonyae Miller would be my pick. He's 5-11 220 with great NFL speed. Very low miles as he backed up Ryan Mathews at Fresno state. TT took a chance on Grant who has a similar combination of size and speed and a similar running style. He also took a chance on Brandon Jackson who was a low miles prospect. All TT backs seem to have above average ball security and Miller also fits that bill.

Ogbonnaya from Texas could be interesting as well. He wasn't that productive in college stuck behind Jamaal Charles and was switched from RB to WR and back several times. He fits the role of a zone back. Ability as a route runner and physical blocking style could at least make him a decent 3rd down back. Also a good special teamer on coverage units. Another bigger back 6-0 220. Lack of in line speed makes Miller more attractive to me.

Charles Scott, LSU was drafted in the 6th round, traded to NY and then stashed on the PS instead of Andre Brown. He's a huge back 6-0 240 and plays exactly as his size would suggest. He falls forwards and rarely has negative plays. Considering his college success and his 6th round draft status he might be the best value on any teams' PS.

pbmax
09-13-2010, 07:57 PM
I thought Darick Holmes would have worked out in '98 but he never got past pedestrian in the offense.

I thought Grant was done. If it is just a soft tissue injury, I will be amazed. Thomopson isn't trading for anyone yet. Not if Grant can conceivably come back this year. It will be Jackson/Kuhn/and PS Johnson.

retailguy
09-13-2010, 08:06 PM
I thought Darick Holmes would have worked out in '98 but he never got past pedestrian in the offense.

I thought Grant was done. If it is just a soft tissue injury, I will be amazed. Thomopson isn't trading for anyone yet. Not if Grant can conceivably come back this year. It will be Jackson/Kuhn/and PS Johnson.

It'll be interesting to see if Kuhn can step up. I agree with this, most likely we have who we have. Maybe even if he can't come back this year, we'll still use these guys.

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see Jackson as the solution. I think he'll be fine against Buffalo next week, but not sure about a long term replacement. He's just never been consistent.

I was never a huge fan of Grant, though I think he was a great value for a 6th round pick, but after watching Jackson, Grant is beginning to grow on me.

Harvey's analysis (here or other thread, don't remember) was really very good. jackson had a couple of runs yesterday that were really great, and a whole bunch that were just ok, and some that flat out sucked.

hoosier
09-13-2010, 08:15 PM

We may be about to witness an interesting testing of the discussion here about the theory that in today's NFL you no longer gotta be able to pound the rock.

swede
09-13-2010, 08:28 PM

I understand how an arthopod would know something about jointed appendages, but aren't they all a bit exoskeleton-centric for this kind of evaluation?

mraynrand
09-13-2010, 08:49 PM

I understand how an arthopod would know something about jointed appendages, but aren't they all a bit exoskeleton-centric for this kind of evaluation?

I'm going to punch you in your thorax.

bobblehead
09-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Hawk did this a few years back to (I forget who) and you see too many guys suffer the same break with the same kind of tackle. I thought for sure Grant had fractured his fibula. It will be very lucky if it's only a sprain.

I'll take : What was the end of Larry Johnson's dominance for $500 Alex.

Joemailman
09-13-2010, 11:12 PM
So, you wanna know how Grant hurt his ankle?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/102828914.html

channtheman
09-13-2010, 11:21 PM

This.

3irty1
09-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Its my understanding that Green can't break his contract for a return to the NFL.

Tarlam!
09-14-2010, 02:51 AM

Man, that photo looks painful. No wonder he got hurt. I'm surprised he didn't break his leg off!

No way he's back very soon.

bobblehead
09-14-2010, 05:26 AM

Man, that photo looks painful. No wonder he got hurt. I'm surprised he didn't break his leg off!

No way he's back very soon.

the human body is actually pretty amazing when you think about it. How often do we see something that looks gruesome and turns out to be a sprain, or even something a guy walks off....then there are non contact injuries where "it don't look too bad" and later find out the knee was destroyed.

TheRaven
09-14-2010, 10:40 AM
I most definitely would not trade a 3rd round pick for Marshawn Lynch. His current value has dropped enough that there is no need to offer such a high pick, nor do I think TT would anyways.

5th round would be the best I would offer.

scooterwfr
09-14-2010, 11:05 AM
How about a 1st rd pick to Carolina for Jonathan Stewart. Not like they need him over there. :)

mraynrand
09-14-2010, 12:48 PM
I most definitely would not trade a 3rd round pick for Marshawn Lynch. His current value has dropped enough that there is no need to offer such a high pick, nor do I think TT would anyways.

Conditional watercooler? Actually, the price will go up now that teams know the Packers are over a barrel. Is an Andre Rison out there this time?

retailguy
09-14-2010, 01:58 PM

Conditional watercooler? Actually, the price will go up now that teams know the Packers are over a barrel. Is an Andre Rison out there this time?

I'd say the closest thing is Fast Willie. But we're certainly not interested.

The falcons PS guy makes the most sense as to what you'd expect us to do.

Jackson is our guy now.

MichiganPackerFan
09-14-2010, 03:09 PM

We may be about to witness an interesting testing of the discussion here about the theory that in today's NFL you no longer gotta be able to pound the rock.

I think we learned how well that worked on Sunday when MM refused to run the ball at the beginning of the game. The eagles sat back in coverage and AR got sacked three times with a few more hurries.

SkinBasket
09-14-2010, 05:15 PM

So would you then split carries between Jones and Grant when Grant gets back? Keep Jackson as your third down guy?

And why in God's name wouldn't you offer Dallas Atari Bigby? Or would that mean the Pack would then have to give up even higher draft choices along with the Bigster?

I would sell Grant for dogfood and give the ball to Jones. Jackson can fluff him between halves for all I care.

I would like to keep Atari because we might possibly never see Scott Campbell's Atari Jesus picture again if we dump him.