PDA

View Full Version : Difficult roster decisions coming

Patler
09-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Harrell opens upt a spot, but:

Can you get by with 5 DL for a few weeks to bring in a back until Grant heals?
Is CJ Wilson ready to contribute, or do you need to replace Harrell with a D-lineman?
If you need both a back and a DL, then you have to release a player you wanted to keep.

Is there a trade possibility out there for a back or DL?

If you need a DL, do you just sign Wynn, or go for someone that might have more raw potential, like Jarron Gilbert maybe?

or....is there an unattached veteran out there who could come in and contribute?

Interesting week coming up.

Joemailman
09-13-2010, 01:29 PM
My guess is they sign Wynn to replace Harrell. Right now they're carrying 10 on the OL, so they could sign a RB and put McDonald on the PS and still be okay there.

mmmdk
09-13-2010, 01:33 PM
....difficult eh? Is there a job opening in Packer land? I could make those calls - lots of cuts, signings & trades in my FF career. It easy...for me!

Joemailman
09-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Wow. I didn't realize Jarron Gilbert had been cut. I wonder if TT had him rated highly when the Bears drafted him.

denverYooper
09-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Twitter has the answer:

#Packers planning to bring back DE Jarius Wynn, according to a source. He's en route to Green Bay right now.

pittstang5
09-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Wow. I didn't realize Jarron Gilbert had been cut. I wonder if TT had him rated highly when the Bears drafted him.

Wow, too! I didn't know he was cut either. Wasn't he figured to best play as a 3-4 DE. is he available or did someone pick him up.

Patler
09-13-2010, 01:57 PM
... and they could have had Mike Montgomery!

pittstang5
09-13-2010, 02:02 PM

Wow, too! I didn't know he was cut either. Wasn't he figured to best play as a 3-4 DE. is he available or did someone pick him up.

Did a little digging. Looks like Gilbert is on the Jets Practice Squad...so TT could sign him if he wanted to, but from a previous post, looks like they are looking at signing Wynn back.

IMO, sign Gilbert. I think he'll be better in the long run.

Sparkey
09-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Harrell opens upt a spot, but:

Can you get by with 5 DL for a few weeks to bring in a back until Grant heals?
Is CJ Wilson ready to contribute, or do you need to replace Harrell with a D-lineman?
If you need both a back and a DL, then you have to release a player you wanted to keep.

Is there a trade possibility out there for a back or DL?

If you need a DL, do you just sign Wynn, or go for someone that might have more raw potential, like Jarron Gilbert maybe?

or....is there an unattached veteran out there who could come in and contribute?

Interesting week coming up.

I would guess Harrel to IR and bring up Anthony Toribio for the DLine vacancy, unless Wynn comes back. RB is a more difficult situation.

Bossman641
09-13-2010, 02:14 PM

Did a little digging. Looks like Gilbert is on the Jets Practice Squad...so TT could sign him if he wanted to, but from a previous post, looks like they are looking at signing Wynn back.

IMO, sign Gilbert. I think he'll be better in the long run.

At this point, I'd rather have a somewhat accomplished DL over a prospect like Gilbert.

Lurker64
09-13-2010, 02:16 PM
I would guess Harrel to IR and bring up Anthony Toribio for the DLine vacancy, unless Wynn comes back. RB is a more difficult situation.

Toribio is an NT, not a DE so we wouldn't bring him up to replace Harrell. Plus, he's with the Kansas City Chiefs now, so we couldn't bring him up anyway.

Sparkey
09-13-2010, 02:27 PM

Toribio is an NT, not a DE so we wouldn't bring him up to replace Harrell. Plus, he's with the Kansas City Chiefs now, so we couldn't bring him up anyway.

Wow, just assumed nobody else wanted Toribio. Hmmmm.

red
09-13-2010, 02:46 PM

more of our cuts were picked up by other teams then anyone else

i loved gilbert in the lead up for the draft and i wanted tt to grab him, but the bears screwed that up. however we need all the linemen on the roster to be bale to play right now at this point, wynn knows the system, we know him, and i'm pretty sure he was one of the last cuts made so it makes a lot of sense to bring him back

now are we all assuming that mike neal will be back this week and ready to be the main backup? i haven't heard an update on him

the running back thing is a whole different concern. my guess is that grant will be gone for at least a few weeks and maybe not up to full strength for a good chunk of the year. starks comes back in week 7 so we have to pick up someone that can do a lot of running

retailguy
09-13-2010, 03:00 PM

more of our cuts were picked up by other teams then anyone else

i loved gilbert in the lead up for the draft and i wanted tt to grab him, but the bears screwed that up. however we need all the linemen on the roster to be bale to play right now at this point, wynn knows the system, we know him, and i'm pretty sure he was one of the last cuts made so it makes a lot of sense to bring him back

now are we all assuming that mike neal will be back this week and ready to be the main backup? i haven't heard an update on him

the running back thing is a whole different concern. my guess is that grant will be gone for at least a few weeks and maybe not up to full strength for a good chunk of the year. starks comes back in week 7 so we have to pick up someone that can do a lot of running

McCarthy indicated in his morning press conference that CJ Wilson would have an opportunity to play this week. Maybe he's going to be the backup this week?

Fritz
09-13-2010, 03:57 PM
I like the idea of having a guy who can jump out of a pool. But I read a comment on a thread about the guy that he got abused a few times in the last preseason game by somebody's third string fullback.

Wynn. A fill-in. Make your head spin.