PDA

View Full Version : Capers said he would have used OL to fill holes on the DL

3irty1
09-13-2010, 04:36 PM
From twitter:
TomSilverstein
TomSilverstein Packers DC Dom Capers said he would have used OL to fill holes on the DL if he had to go goal line vs. Philly. G Josh Sitton was one of them

red
09-13-2010, 04:44 PM
sitton the new havner?

mraynrand
09-13-2010, 05:16 PM
From twitter:
TomSilverstein
TomSilverstein Packers DC Dom Capers said he would have used OL to fill holes on the DL if he had to go goal line vs. Philly. G Josh Sitton was one of them

Good call. I think he'd be very effective in there after the way he pancaked, err..obliterated Mike Patterson. What a pleasure it is to have a mauler/road grader in there at RG.

Patler
09-13-2010, 05:57 PM
I don't know, that didn't work very well for Gale Gillingham when Dan Devine decided to use him as a DT. He lasted part of one game and was lost for the rest of the season.

Didn't work too well for Joe Thomas in the bowl game for WI either.

pbmax
09-13-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't know, that didn't work very well for Gale Gillingham when Dan Devine decided to use him as a DT. He lasted part of one game and was lost for the rest of the season.

Well Patler, Celek can't whiff on everyone at the goal line. They would have needed some beef. :)

Patler
09-13-2010, 08:05 PM

Well Patler, Celek can't whiff on everyone at the goal line. They would have needed some beef. :)

Ya, I know, you do what you gotta do today, and worry about next week later.

Lurker64
09-13-2010, 08:11 PM
I don't think this would be really all that different from when teams use defensive linemen as fullbacks at the goal line. At the end, if you all you need the guy to do is "hit the person in front of you as hard as you can and hopefully knock him on his butt", there's presumably a number of people on both sides of the ball who can do that.

As a full time thing? Bad idea, but in an emergency situation, there are worse ideas.

mraynrand
09-13-2010, 09:03 PM

Ya, but it sounds like they were just talking goal line. They didn't pop 'em in there for that 4th and 1. (Fourth and 1? My computer starts smoking when I write that).

FWIW - my computer crashes when I write 4th and 2

pbmax
09-13-2010, 09:21 PM

Ya, but it sounds like they were just talking goal line. They didn't pop 'em in there for that 4th and 1. (Fourth and 1? My computer starts smoking when I write that).

What about when you write Darren Sharp

mraynrand
09-13-2010, 09:29 PM

What about when you write Darren Sharp

I just recovered from blue screen. No more of that!

Back to Sitton. Maybe it isn't wise to put him in there (like Harrell on the FG team?) but man I enjoyed that mauling drive. When he pancaked Patterson, I was calling that a YEAH! play. My kids were asking what I was screaming about. That was good stuff.

channtheman
09-13-2010, 11:01 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. No need to risk your OL on defense. It's a whole different game for them.

Pugger
09-13-2010, 11:26 PM
That pancake of Patterson was a sight to behold! 8-)