View Full Version : We just lost Grant for the year

imscott72
09-14-2010, 12:41 PM
ARGHH.....

denverYooper
09-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Just saw that from Glazer.

SHIT.

So maybe we do need to look into grabbing another RB.

Chubbyhubby
09-14-2010, 12:59 PM
I believe we should, Jackson is good but is he ready for the starting job? I have my doubts, TT should be on the phone looking for a replacement. The question is who? Anyone have any ideas?

imscott72
09-14-2010, 01:03 PM
I believe we should, Jackson is good but is he ready for the starting job? I have my doubts, TT should be on the phone looking for a replacement. The question is who? Anyone have any ideas?

Green, Gado are possibles..Maybe a trade..

Spaulding
09-14-2010, 01:27 PM
I wonder at what level Thompson has Marshawn Lynch rated. I know his character is in question but if TT decides to bring him in and do an interview and physical he might be swayed if Lynch came off as mis-understood prior.

I'd think a 4th might be enough to get him and then the question would be would he fit as a Packer and are there any options out there currently (doesn't look like it) that are almost as good and wouldn't cost as high a draft pick.

imscott72
09-14-2010, 01:33 PM
I wonder what Willie Parker is up to?

imscott72
09-14-2010, 01:37 PM
according to Rob Demovsky sports reporter, Green Bay Press-Gazette:

Two have told me the #Packers plan to sign RB Dimitri Nance, a rookie on the #Falcons ps

woodbuck27
09-14-2010, 01:38 PM

SHIT.

I hope that TT isn't just thinking along the lines of 'a maybe'.

That's a terrible loss for us given our depth and past performanc at RB before Ryan Grant shoed up as well as he has for our team. TT has to get busy. I believe TT is. Even at this moment. As we accept this bad news.

I hope that TT will do something. We've been here before and he studdered. :D

GO TT GO!

imscott72
09-14-2010, 01:39 PM

SHIT.

That's a terrible loss for us given our depth and past performanc at RB before Ryan Grant shoed up as well as he has for our team. TT has to get busy. I believe TT is. Even at this moment. As we accept this bad news.

GO TT GO!

I sure hope Nance isn't who TT thinks is going to save the day. Come on TT.

retailguy
09-14-2010, 01:49 PM

SHIT.

GO TT GO!

He'll pick up Nance for depth. Jackson is our guy now.

woodbuck27
09-14-2010, 01:58 PM

SHIT.

GO TT GO!

Yup! There you go. Another TT ' looking for something for nothing' and what he'll get there is exactly what the Falcons saw. A prospect 'only on a teams PS. TT has to realize that he needs to replace a key component of our 'O' and a recognized vaued starter at RB.

Now, I'm sure your all thinking that TT fully realizes the gravity of this loss; but how will he react to it in terms of something really positive? A man off another teams PS isn't the breckfast of Champions not the thing that a championship team's GM needs to aspire to.

Get it together TT.

GO PACKERS!

retailguy
09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
In all fairness to Ted, how is he going to replace Ryan Grant with anyone besides Brandon Jackson?

I just don't see how that works unless you open the wallet really, really wide, which we don't do, and then, what are you going to get? Certainly not anything comparable to Grant. Grant had his flaws but he knew the system, and executed it as well as he could.

I'd say he's not replaceable. Best we can hope for is good depth.

woodbuck27
09-14-2010, 02:07 PM
In all fairness to Ted, how is he going to replace Ryan Grant with anyone besides Brandon Jackson?

I just don't see how that works unless you open the wallet really, really wide, which we don't do, and then, what are you going to get? Certainly not anything comparable to Grant. Grant had his flaws but he knew the system, and executed it as well as he could.

I'd say he's not replaceable. Best we can hope for is good depth.

Yes that may be looked at as an option but is that what the Vikings are doing RE: the loss of Sydney Rice? Nope. We'll see some serious action on that issue.

Good depth is achieved by going out there and acquiring the best RB available for the best price.

Were now in a position of less depth due to a big loss of our starter. TT 'has to trump' acquiring someone that merely won a PS position.

Willie Parker? Was that a serious post? I'm looking. :lol:

get louder at lambeau
09-14-2010, 02:12 PM

SHIT.

GO TT GO!

Yup! There you go. Another TT ' looking for something for nothing' and what he'll get there is exactly what the Falcons saw. A prospect 'only on a teams PS. TT has to realize that he needs to replace a key component of our 'O' and a recognized vaued starter at RB.

Now, I'm sure your all thinking that TT fully realizes the gravity of this loss; but how will he react to it in terms of something really positive? A man off another teams PS isn't the breckfast of Champions not the thing that a championship team's GM needs to aspire to.

Get it together TT.

GO PACKERS!

Ryan Grant himself was on the bubble between making the Giants roster as their #4 RB or getting cut when Thompson got him. Getting a Practice Squader wouldn't be too much different.

cheesner
09-14-2010, 02:13 PM

SHIT.

GO TT GO!

I sure hope Nance isn't who TT thinks is going to save the day. Come on TT.Afterall, I have never heard of Nance therefore he must be terrible. TT should sign Jerome Bettis or Betty White. I have heard of them so they must be better.

arcilite
09-14-2010, 02:16 PM

SHIT.

GO TT GO!

I sure hope Nance isn't who TT thinks is going to save the day. Come on TT.Afterall, I have never heard of Nance therefore he must be terrible. TT should sign Jerome Bettis or Betty White. I have heard of them so they must be better.

If we don't sign Shaun Alexandar TT is an idiot

gbgary
09-14-2010, 02:18 PM
just heard the news...DAMMIT!

Patler
09-14-2010, 02:31 PM

Are you being serious, or facetious?

Patler
09-14-2010, 02:33 PM
I have to say, I'm not at all surprised Grant is done for the year. They were so guarded in what they said, the need for extra tests, etc. made it seem like it was quite serious.

Packers4Glory
09-14-2010, 02:34 PM
TT needs to be looking at Buffalo which is loaded at RB. IF by some miracle TT trades a pick, he should look there first. Lynch was once thought to be headed to GB as a draft pick a few years ago.

For some reason I think TT would rather lose a testicle rather than a draft pick. Dude gets off on stockpiling picks and have one of the youngest rosters.

gbgary
09-14-2010, 02:57 PM
if the team really is superbowl bound this season, tt needs to go for it and make a trade. if he plays it safe everyone will know it's wait till next year.

imscott72
09-14-2010, 03:01 PM

SHIT.

GO TT GO!

My reaction is based on the fact he's on the Falcon practice squad and didn't make their 53 man roster, and now we're asking him to come to Green Bay and backup our backup.

Lurker64
09-14-2010, 03:11 PM
if the team really is superbowl bound this season, tt needs to go for it and make a trade. if he plays it safe everyone will know it's wait till next year.

Right now, every team in the league has superbowl aspirations. No team is going to trade away what they perceive as a key asset for anything less than highway robbery (want Marshawn Lynch? That'll run you a first, a second, and a third.) Later in the season, if the Bills start 0-6 that price will go down.

Plus, with the exception of your truly elite backs, running backs are a largely fungible resource. Grant is at the "very good" end of "serviceable", but remember he was undrafted and nearly cut by the Giants before we got him for a sixth round pick. On the other hand, Brandon Jackson was a 2nd round pick. There's nothing to suggest that Jackson *couldn't* take the next step and be better than anybody we could arrive at for a reasonable price.

Plus, no need to trade away premium picks right now, the draft next year is positively loaded with RBs.

pack4to84
09-14-2010, 03:16 PM
I was hoping that TT would swing a trade for Thomas Jones, but after last nights game KC is thinking playoffs.

Jimx29
09-14-2010, 03:24 PM
So the stage is set for the return of the turd.....

KYPack
09-14-2010, 03:24 PM

Middleton?

Jimx29
09-14-2010, 03:28 PM

Middleton?I knew when posted that there would be 2 choices....kinda

And yep, Middleton was my intent there. How can ya not like that name or Sanjay Beachs? 8-)

packrulz
09-14-2010, 03:48 PM
according to Rob Demovsky sports reporter, Green Bay Press-Gazette:

Two have told me the #Packers plan to sign RB Dimitri Nance, a rookie on the #Falcons ps
Nance is already on the roster, they have 3 FB's and Starks is eligible to return from the PUP for week 7. Until then they have to play:
Sun., Sept. 19 BUFFALO Noon CBS
Mon., Sept. 27 at Chicago 7:30 p.m. ESPN
Sun., Oct. 3 DETROIT Noon Fox
Sun., Oct. 10 at Washington Noon Fox
Sun., Oct. 17 MIAMI Noon CBS

All beatable with BJack IMO.

arcilite
09-14-2010, 03:55 PM

As serious as I am about how we need Jeff George to be our backup QB

swede
09-14-2010, 04:01 PM

Wait...is Jeff George still playing?

:twisted:

gbgary
09-14-2010, 04:13 PM

Right now, every team in the league has superbowl aspirations....

oh i hear ya and i wasn't saying trade right away. heck we've got a pretty easy schedule up to the minn game and can live with what we've got for a while...but then it gets tough. when is the trade deadline by the way?

Fritz
09-14-2010, 04:16 PM

Wait...is Jeff George still playing?

:twisted:

Yes, he is. But he goes by the psuedonym "Jay Cutler" these days.

:rs:

Freak Out
09-14-2010, 04:18 PM

Right now, every team in the league has superbowl aspirations....

oh i hear ya and i wasn't saying trade right away. heck we've got a pretty easy schedule up to the minn game and can live with what we've got for a while...but then it gets tough. when is the trade deadline by the way?

TT is working right now.....picking up practice squad players is just the beginning. TT is a smart guy....he's not going to trade away the franchise for a guy like Lynch but if the deal is right and he can really improve the team he'll do it. This team is right there and he knows it and Grant is gone for the year.

Brandon494
09-14-2010, 05:23 PM
On his twitter page, Grant also said: "Guess everyone has heard the news .. frustrating, disappointing, all the normal emotions .. I just have to move forward and get it right. Anyone who knows me, understands that my spirits WILL stay high .. and I will return even better, stronger .. That's how I operate..

"But know that NOTHING has changed from the packs goal this year.The whole backfield will step up.that's guaranteed. I know the capabilities

"Thanks again for all the support from everyone..much appreciated....it's tough but this is part of the game"

:bclap:

Joemailman
09-14-2010, 05:35 PM

SHIT.

GO TT GO!

I'm pretty sure some people here said much the same thing 3 years ago when TT traded for Ryan Grant.

CaliforniaCheez
09-14-2010, 05:43 PM
1) RB's are plentiful if they want to pick one up. Isn't Samkon Gado available??

2) Starks can be back as soon as game 7 against the viklings.

3) The O-line is more important to the running game than the RB. Anyone can run if the holes are there.

Tony Oday
09-14-2010, 05:57 PM
B Jack number one with Kuhn blasting holes...I still like it.

cheesner
09-14-2010, 06:02 PM

Jeff George? I heard of him. TT better bring him in or he is a dirty no-good son-of-a-bitch who is hell bent on destroying the Packers!

Also, why are people talking about Starks return? He didn't show much to me in training camp, I don't expect him to have gotten any better in the training room while rehabbing these last few weeks.

Joemailman
09-14-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm in a fantasy league with a bunch of co-workers. One guy on the last round drafted Brandon Jackson because he said Grant is going to get hurt. Should I pat him on the back for a fine prediction, or kick him in the nuts for causing the injury?

Lurker64
09-14-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm in a fantasy league with a bunch of co-workers. One guy on the last round drafted Brandon Jackson because he said Grant is going to get hurt. Should I pat him on the back for a fine prediction, or kick him in the nuts for causing the injury?

Both, you pick the order.

Brandon494
09-14-2010, 06:13 PM

Both, you pick the order.

pat him on the back and when he turns around.... well you know. :lol:

red
09-14-2010, 06:25 PM
i don't like this one bit

grant wasn't a superstar, but he was a good full time every down back

if they think starks is the future then cool, i think we could survive with bjack for 6 weeks. but i don't see us making a long playoff run with jacksonand the new guys

i'd like to see tt offer up a mid-roundish pick for a guy like lynch or one of the cowboys. something a long those lines

plus, stark is injury prone, b-jack isn't a rock wall. this is starting to feel like the samkon gado year. we need a serious running threat or else it might be a very long year for rodgers

digitaldean
09-14-2010, 06:42 PM
This is a loss, but if you get a new guy in, they will be new to the Packer's system in 1 way or another.

I would have thought that maybe trading a TE to someone like the Giants was an option.(they are down to Travis Beckum as the only healthy TE and have a disgruntled Brandon Jacobs)

Gado? Green? Green MAYBE, but Gado? He was a good RB for 1 season several seasons ago, but couldn't even hang on with an NFL team this year.

Patler
09-14-2010, 06:42 PM

if they think starks is the future then cool, i think we could survive with bjack for 6 weeks. but i don't see us making a long playoff run with jacksonand the new guys

i'd like to see tt offer up a mid-roundish pick for a guy like lynch or one of the cowboys. something a long those lines

plus, stark is injury prone, b-jack isn't a rock wall. this is starting to feel like the samkon gado year. we need a serious running threat or else it might be a very long year for rodgers

Red,

Just keep saying to yourself, "John Kuhn,...John Kuhn, ...John Kuhn..." :lol:

Tony Oday
09-14-2010, 06:44 PM
I like John Kuhn and B Jack. Both back give you something different.

Most of you wanted to replace Grant anyway so here is that chance!

red
09-14-2010, 06:52 PM

Red,

Just keep saying to yourself, "John Kuhn,...John Kuhn, ...John Kuhn..." :lol:

i wish we could have seen a lot more of him running in the preseason

the little bit we have seen of him has been damn impressive though. he won't ever break any long ones but he can punish a D

Freak Out
09-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Grant wasn't a superstar but the guy was a home run threat out of the backfield....that's nice to have.

red
09-14-2010, 07:15 PM
what exactly happened to grant? All i can find is that it was a "serious injury"

did he break something, tear something, dislocate something?

seeing the picture of the play it made me think of the thiesman injury. grant's lucky is leg didn't just snap like a twig

Lurker64
09-14-2010, 07:33 PM
what exactly happened to grant? All i can find is that it was a "serious injury"

seeing the picture of the play it made me think of the thiesman injury. grant's lucky is leg didn't just snap like a twig

I think he tore a ligament in his ankle which will require surgery to repair. After the surgery, he'll have to spend at least 6 weeks on crutches.

mraynrand
09-14-2010, 07:53 PM
what exactly happened to grant? did he break something, tear something, dislocate something?

Yes

retailguy
09-14-2010, 07:59 PM

The Packer press release said he has a "serious ankle injury". You do realize that you just can't go around blabbing details. We have things like competitive advantage to think about you know!

But don't worry, I have it on good authority (Jeff Blumb), that Greg Bedard is lurking outside Lambeau field with his binoculars. You'll know the real deal soon enough.

imscott72
09-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Bedard is dead set that there won't be any trades or signings. What we have is what we'll use.

packerbacker1234
09-14-2010, 08:21 PM
You know, I would not mind at all giving Green a call. I know he is playing in that one league, but we need some veteran depth behind jackson who can do some spot duty now. Green showed he still had some in the tank last year the few times he got in - he would be a nice fit for us this season in a reserve role. Much better than relying on PS guys.

imscott72
09-14-2010, 08:23 PM
You know, I would not mind at all giving Green a call. I know he is playing in that one league, but we need some veteran depth behind jackson who can do some spot duty now. Green showed he still had some in the tank last year the few times he got in - he would be a nice fit for us this season in a reserve role. Much better than relying on PS guys.

Some have mentioned he can't get out of his contract. Not sure how that works.

Carolina_Packer
09-14-2010, 08:26 PM
I was thinking of a more high-profile street free agent such as Derrick Ward or Willie Parker, instead of a practice squad guy, but oh well, we got him; Dmitri Nance. Good luck kid! At least he's from Texas.

The Leaper
09-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Ahman Green? Gado? Really?

Washed up retreads ain't going to get us anywhere. The Packers are now exclusively hitched to the Jackson train...wherever it leads.

I've always been a proponent of more talent at RB...and this is precisely why. You can never have too many good RBs, because their shelf life tends to be shorter than you think. Thompson's approach to RB has always baffled me.

I certainly don't think the injury to Grant is a killer...to me, Grant was a mediocre RB whose only upside was ball security. He doesn't have great speed, he is a subpar receiver, and Kuhn broke more tackles in one series yesterday than Grant has in his entire career I think. Grant is an OK back to have if your passing game is as potent as ours is...but you can find a lot of RBs who are OK when you have our passing attack.

My concern is Jackson's durability. If he goes down, then we ARE in trouble.

packerbacker1234
09-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Ahman Green? Gado? Really?

Washed up retreads ain't going to get us anywhere. The Packers are now exclusively hitched to the Jackson train...wherever it leads.

I've always been a proponent of more talent at RB...and this is precisely why. You can never have too many good RBs, because their shelf life tends to be shorter than you think. Thompson's approach to RB has always baffled me.

I certainly don't think the injury to Grant is a killer...to me, Grant was a mediocre RB whose only upside was ball security. He doesn't have great speed, he is a subpar receiver, and Kuhn broke more tackles in one series yesterday than Grant has in his entire career I think. Grant is an OK back to have if your passing game is as potent as ours is...but you can find a lot of RBs who are OK when you have our passing attack.

Except for having the 2nd most rushing yards out of every single RB in the league ever since Adrian Peterson entered the league, and that statistic (rushing yards) was always on a prominent pass first offense.

I know the stats can be misleading, and while grant never looked all world, you cannot argue with his pure production. You don't get the 2nd most rushing yards in the NFL in that small 2 and half season window by being mediocre.

Guiness
09-14-2010, 08:45 PM

You mean, since he got cut from the Redskins?

No Thanks.

I also like the idea of Lynch. He's young (24) former first rounder who has played well, and been in a Pro Bowl. He's also a good receiver, and, as a clincher, claims to love Applebee's!

He's had some legal issues, but honestly, they were more stupidity than anything else. That, and a whack girlfriend who went loco on him, but who among us hasn't had one of those?

I don't see why he's not worth a 3rd rounder.

pbmax
09-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Leap, those three fullbacks aren't collecting a paycheck just to look pretty you know. :lol:

Feel terrible for Grant; his Tweet about it was a good example of how committed he seems to his career and the game. I am glad we got to have him as a Packer.

I think Jackson can do it. But I would feel a lot better about it if he started to show signs of his preseason decisiveness about mid-season or so, after enough starts to re-acclimate to playing against starters on 1st and 2nd down.

Joemailman
09-14-2010, 09:29 PM

What do we need veteran depth behind Jackson for? MM usually wants one back to get the lion's share of the carries. That will be Jackson, now, and if he gets hurt, it wouldn't be Green anyway. I've never seen Nance play, but I suspect TT thinks he could start if Jackson gets hurt. Same thing as with an unknown Grant in 2007.

woodbuck27
09-14-2010, 09:30 PM

No Thanks.

I also like the idea of Lynch. He's young (24) former first rounder who has played well, and been in a Pro Bowl. He's also a good receiver, and, as a clincher, claims to love Applebee's!

He's had some legal issues, but honestly, they were more stupidity than anything else. That, and a whack girlfriend who went loco on him, but who among us hasn't had one of those?

Anyone that has the good taste to appreciate Applebee's is an encouraging move for me. Will TT make such a move? Such a move would surprize me. TT won't give up much given at any risk. TT seems to prefer going with some form of unknown in a pinch situation.

When you look at a recent thread here (and you work past the kool aid band); that's the one knock I've had against TT's managing style. He won't go to:

" OK, let's move ahead with this loss to our team, or ' the all in approach '.

Yes! TT has put together a team that's very close to getting to ' the show '. WE're all excited here for goood reason. I've been on record here as claiming that my concerns we're a) depth behind Ryan Grant and b) early season depth of real talent in our secondary.

With this impact on concern a):

TT should do more than bottom feed the decrease in RB depth. There's far too much at stake in a season where we are expected to advance. Ryan Grant isn't an insignificant loss. That's a serious loss given Grant's past production and fit in the Aaron Rodgers led offense.

GO TT GO!

Brando19
09-14-2010, 09:43 PM
I love love LOVE the Brandon Jacobs idea. Trade Donald Lee and a low pick for Jacobs. Or go after Lynch for a 3rd round pick. I'm not sold on Tashard Choice, but Marion Barber would be a good pick up in a trade.

VegasPackFan
09-14-2010, 10:21 PM
In the preseason , the only team that was talked about in terms of looking to deal a starter-caliber back was Buffalo. They spent a 9th overall I believe to get CJ Spiller and they already had a two-back system going with Jackson and Lynch.

They are playing at Lambeau this week. TT should just tell the Bills to permanently pack up Lynch and Jackson and whichever one hurts us the worst on Sunday stays here.

Smidgeon
09-14-2010, 10:23 PM

Some have mentioned he can't get out of his contract. Not sure how that works.

The UFL has a six game season. While a player is on a UFL roster, they are ineligible (per contract) to join an NFL team. As soon as their season is over, they can sign onto an NFL team (JP Losman).

Smidgeon
09-14-2010, 10:26 PM

No Thanks.

I'm not sure what I think about Lynch, but I do have faith in Bennett as a RB coach. His players seem to get better year after year. Maybe he could do something for Lynch that Curtis Modkins couldn't?

Fosco33
09-14-2010, 10:29 PM
this one is tough... with surgery he'd be back in 3 months (i.e, December and playoffs). I get that we're not deep enough to protect the spot but it's a bummer that we could get him back and now it's not an option...

mraynrand
09-14-2010, 11:41 PM
That, and a whack girlfriend who went loco on him, but who among us hasn't had one of those?

Lori?

Tony Oday
09-15-2010, 01:40 AM
B Jack Career:

Att yards avg TD rec yards avg TD
175 689 3.9 4 69 514 7.4 1

Ran the 40 in 4.54 at his combine. Seems that he needs to be a stud and just take the one cut and NOT dance at all. He needs to hammer the holes made for him by Wells, Sitton and Colledge...non of these damn stretch plays. He can catch the ball out of the backfield and that seems to be an added versatility for MMs offense.

Big Questions for B Jack are can he shoulder the full load? Will he let the lingering, small injuries derail him or will he show how awesome he is!? One Cut B Jack and hit the hole thats it.

John Kuhn

Att yards avg TD rec yards avg TD
20 61 3.1 3 14 90 6.4 4

Short yardage back that will now be the #2 HB on the Pack. Solid hitter and can block. Kuhn accomplished a lot, in college, as the featured back, can catch and run the ball. Could be amazing between the tackles in a, wear down and put a nail in the coffin, guy to put away games that AR and the passing game already has us up in.

Big Question for Kuhn is can his limited play translate into a dominate change of pace back that bloodies and hurts opposing LBs? Will he force other teams to put 8 in the box so JF and the WRs run in single coverage?

I think that instead of the run setting up the passing game the passing game will set up the run ala our mid 90's teams. With the passing attack that AR and the boys will be putting together the running back will see 7 in the box. That means in a 3 WR set to put 8 in the box to stop B Jack and Kuhn they will have to single cover the WRs...We win that all day long. The Packers need roughly 80 yards a game running to keep it balanced and if we look at last years play calling split that means we only need to average 3 yards a carry (438 attempts in 16 games).

What do you all think?! I am not to worried right now, though I thought Grant was awesome what if this position turns into one that we can plug n play RBs? Would free up cash when the cap returns :)

Tony Oday
09-15-2010, 01:51 AM
From Fox Sports

Options for Green Bay at RB — 3:34 p.m.

The Green Bay Packers only have two running backs on their 53-man roster and one of them will be lost for the season.

With starter Ryan Grant (ankle) gone, the team will turn to fourth-year RB Brandon Jackson to take over.

The team could look to sign RB James Johnson off their practice squad, but it remains to be seen if the team believes he’s ready to take on a significant role.

If Green Bay looks toward the free-agent market, here’s the list of the available players:

- Willie Parker – The veteran back was recently released by the Washington Redskins.
- Justin Fargas – He was recently released by the Denver Broncos.
- Ladell Betts – The veteran back was released by the New Orleans Saints a few weeks ago.
- Adrian Peterson – The long-time Chicago Bear was recently released by the Seattle Seahawks.
- Jamal Lewis – He was released by the Cleveland Browns earlier this year, but the indication was that he still wanted to play.
- DeDe Dorsey – He was recently waived by the Detroit Lions. He fits in as a change of pace.
- Dantrell Savage – The speedy back was recently waived by the Carolina Panthers.
- Kolby Smith – Smith has nine starts in his three years of play.
- Chris Jennings – The powerfully built back was recently waived by the Cleveland Browns.

From Fox Sports

DannoMac21
09-15-2010, 02:01 AM
We need to wait 2 or 3 weeks at minimum to be able to make a trade. Starks won't be able to do much this year...when the guy comes off the PUP he won't have played organized football for like a year and a half. Every team right now thinks they can still make the playoffs. Once week 5 rolls around then I think we can get Marshawn for a 3rd or 4th...especially since Maroney was given away today.

run pMc
09-15-2010, 09:20 AM
+1

BJack gives more versatility with his pass-pro and hands, but I don't think he has the durability or ball security Grant does. Would like to see him stop dancing at the line, too.

I'm not sold on Nance as anything other than a stop-gap or a guy to spell BJack and Kuhn. ATL runs same run scheme, Nance should be able to pick it up quickly. It sounds like he pushed Norwood for a roster spot even though he's more of a tough yards guy than a speedster. Might be useful as we get into November.

With Starks hurt for so long, I'm not sure what he'll be able to contribute (if anything).

I think it's unreasonable to expect to replace Grant's numbers with someone off the retread pile (e.g., Green, Parker). Most of those players' best years are behind them. Getting someone who's a good fit for the ZBS is important as well. Don't know much about how well in-season trades for RB's work.

BUF or SEA have a bunch of backs. Think any of them will get traded?
Would Lynch or Brandon Jacobs be a good fit for ZBS?

While a trade wouldn't surprise me, I'm not counting on it.

I think M3 will go to much more of a RB committee. GB has to average 90-100 ypg to keep defenses honest, prevent them from pinning back their ears and going after ARod, and milk the clock enough to rest the defense.

Bottom line: Grant's on IR, so the #2 & #3 RB's move up on the depth chart. Hopefully the step up to the challenge.

imscott72
09-15-2010, 09:46 AM
I just can't settle on the fact that this is all TT's going to do. If we did lose B Jax, then we'd be hurtin for certain. IMO we need a veteran brought in whether it be a FA or via trade. If this is a potential Super Bowl team, then we can't afford to "go cheap" at one of the most important positions on the roster.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Or go for someone who is more than a one year fix. Offer a first for D. Williams or J. Stewart from Carolina. Williams is a free agent after this year and its hard to see them paying two Rbs starters money. If you make a good offer for Williams I think Carolina would bit since they might loss him after this year anyways. I would love Willams, Jackson, and Starks even more than Grant, Jackson, and Starks.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-15-2010, 10:02 AM
On second thought a first would probably be to much for WIlliams since he is already 27 and will be a free agent after this season. Stewart is only 23 and has many more years left. WIlliams probably only has 3-4 years left in him to be a starter. If we get Williams for a second I would go for it. Four years of having a back that you know will get the job done for a super bowl team without is worth a second. Imagine next years depth also......Williams, Grant, jackson, and Starks. I have a feeling we would not keep 3 FBs next year if we had Williams lol.

Tarlam!
09-15-2010, 10:06 AM
TT has proven he can stack the roster the right way. I am comfortable with this new addition.

Every NFL team has depth issues if their #1 RB goes down. Of course the concern is the #2 could go down. That's true of any team!

There's a lot of panic merchants on this thread.

Patler
09-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Running back is one of the few positions at which a player can come in and contribute quickly. A fresh, hungry back with instincts can offer more than a worn out retread. I think you might have as much or more success bringing in a "nobody" that has been overlooked and never really had an opportunity (like Grant when traded for) than a veteran with a name and pedigree that has been released by several other teams. The vets aren't overlooked, they've been given opportunities (often many opportunities) and have been found lacking.

Sure, there is always a chance that a young guy, like Lynch, might benefit from a fresh start; but so far Lynch's career has been in steady decline almost since he first showed up.

I doubt TT is ignoring the situation. As someone else mentioned, the real opportunities for trades might not happen until closer to the deadline. By then, they will have a better feel for whether Jackson can handle much of a load and what the others have to offer.

ThunderDan
09-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Running back is one of the few positions at which a player can come in and contribute quickly. A fresh, hungry back with instincts can offer more than a worn out retread. I think you might have as much or more success bringing in a "nobody" that has been overlooked and never really had an opportunity (like Grant when traded for) than a veteran with a name and pedigree that has been released by several other teams. The vets aren't overlooked, they've been given opportunities (often many opportunities) and have been found lacking.

Sure, there is always a chance that a young guy, like Lynch, might benefit from a fresh start; but so far Lynch's career has been in steady decline almost since he first showed up.

I doubt TT is ignoring the situation. As someone else mentioned, the real opportunities for trades might not happen until closer to the deadline. By then, they will have a better feel for whether Jackson can handle much of a load and what the others have to offer.

Samkon Gado anyone?

Tony Oday
09-15-2010, 11:27 AM

Samkon Gado anyone?

Is a god! You do NOT beshmirch Samkon ;) hehe