PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Grant out for year!?!

boiga
09-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Ryan Grant out for the year
Posted by Mike Florio on September 14, 2010 1:36 PM ET
And here's why those Super Bowl predictions often end up being meaningless.

Packers running back Ryan Grant's "significant ankle injury" from Sunday was sufficiently significant to end his season.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that Grant will be placed on injured reserve with a high ankle sprain that also resulted in a fracture near his knee.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/14/ryan-grant-out-for-the-year/

CRAP!

mraynrand
09-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Well, that was a fun season while it lasted.

packers11
09-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Not worried... A-Rod can carry this team... Mark my words - B-Jackson will step in fine - we just need a little more depth...

sheepshead
09-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Not worried... A-Rod can carry this team... Mark my words - B-Jackson will step in fine - we just need a little more depth...

Its gonna hurt, but Im with you on this. The reason we have Ryan Grant is the offense doesnt depend on Ryan Grant(if that makes any sense)

Travbrew
09-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Anyone else feel that kick in the nuts when you read it?

I think B-Jack will do well, prob. not quite what we're used to though.
Time to shore up that depth.

sheepshead
09-14-2010, 12:52 PM
I hope (im sure he's on the phone) would like to see a trade. Afterall we got Grant off the Giants bench. TT might have to give up a high pick but maybe there's a guy out there like that.

rbaloha1
09-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Bummer. Its rb by committee.

imscott72
09-14-2010, 12:55 PM
I don't think BJ is an every down back. I think Ahman Green's phone might be ringing here shortly..

TravisWilliams23
09-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Now we get to see if MM can really coach.

It's an opportunity for the back-ups to shine. Here's your chance to show us what you got.

Also a chance to see if Arod can establish himself in that "elite" class of qb's.

Feel bad for Grant 'cause of all the off-season work he did to get ready for this year.

get louder at lambeau
09-14-2010, 01:00 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_2197917_own-bat-signal.html

3irty1
09-14-2010, 01:05 PM
http://twitter.com/injuryexpert/statuses/24495809099

Glazer's reports directly conflict with what I was told regarding Ryan Grant's ankle sprain. We'll have to see how this comes out.

injuryexpert
Will Carroll

get louder at lambeau
09-14-2010, 01:07 PM
http://twitter.com/injuryexpert/statuses/24495809099

Glazer's reports directly conflict with what I was told regarding Ryan Grant's ankle sprain. We'll have to see how this comes out.

injuryexpert
Will Carroll

Glazer worked with Grant on MMA training this offseason. My bet is this report comes straight from Grant himself.

3irty1
09-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Too many people are reporting it for it to not be true. I'm just trying to mess with your emotions.

green_bowl_packer
09-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Odds of us picking someone up are slim, but who's out there any ways Willie Parker, Justin Vargas, Chris Jennings, or Edgerrin James?

Freak Out
09-14-2010, 01:27 PM
I would not be surprised to see a trade....TT can part with a later round pick and make this thing work. There are some good backs available considering all the young talent that came into the league this year.

Fritz
09-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Holy shit, Batman.

arcilite
09-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Reports have us looking at Dimitri Nance from the Falcons.

A draft guide says Dimitri has 'good pad level'. I am sold. Bring on the Bills.

Airin' Rodgers
09-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Mother Fucker

Terrible for the Packers. Almost as bad for my fantasy team.

On a serious note, TT needs to look into acquiring Lynch or if possible in anyway Chester Taylor from the Bears

hoosier
09-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Well that just sucks. Which is more likely, TT being able to swing a trade or find a small gem at the bottom of the unsigned FA barrel; Brandon Jackson suddenly emerging as a feature back; or McCarthy just deciding to slice the running play section out of his playbook? I'm hoping for option #2 (Jackson).

sheepshead
09-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Reports have us looking at Dimitri Nance from the Falcons.

A draft guide says Dimitri has 'good pad level'. I am sold. Bring on the Bills.

The more i think about the more I say TT works long and hard on a trade and reaches deep down in his bag of available goodies to make it happen. Just my thought.

Airin' Rodgers
09-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Can't say I know much about Nance, but it does look like TT is gonna give him a shot. I wonder if they will keep Jackson in the starter role? I would assume so

arcilite
09-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Jackson = starter
Kuhn = #2

Nance will be on the 53, but not activated until brought up to speed

retailguy
09-14-2010, 01:47 PM
This is a total bummer, but one guy doesn't make a season.

We'll keep on, keeping on. I still expect us to win, win the division, get some playoff victories and go to the Super Bowl.

Hopefully we can focus on Jackson's strengths and find some depth.

We won't be calling Willie Parker, or I'd guess any other veteran. I don't think Ahman can get out of his contract to return.

The guy on the Falcon's PS makes the most sense for Ted.

Let's go beat the Bills.

arcilite
09-14-2010, 01:48 PM
I also see us moving towards more of a RB by committee approach with jackson/kuhn/nance now.

sheepshead
09-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Jackson = starter
Kuhn = #2

Nance will be on the 53, but not activated until brought up to speed

Oh I didnt realize he's a practice squad guy, so yeah he's in.

Airin' Rodgers
09-14-2010, 01:51 PM
I think we can get by the Bills, Bears, and lions with B Jack carrying the load.

After that, I think Nance will need to be up to speed to spell Jackson and hopefully contribute

retailguy
09-14-2010, 01:53 PM
I think we can get by the Bills, Bears, and lions with B Jack carrying the load.

After that, I think Nance will need to be up to speed to spell Jackson and hopefully contribute

Not sure that's realistic, but we'll see. I'd think that Kuhn stays the #2 guy unless he sucks.

I think Nance will be depth, and nothing more. God knows I'd love to be wrong on this one.

arcilite
09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Also, we get James Starks in 5 weeks.

The sky is not falling.

Airin' Rodgers
09-14-2010, 02:01 PM

Not sure that's realistic, but we'll see. I'd think that Kuhn stays the #2 guy unless he sucks.

I think Nance will be depth, and nothing more. God knows I'd love to be wrong on this one.

lol, there's a slight possibility im just trying to convince myself :lol:

retailguy
09-14-2010, 02:02 PM

lol, there's a slight possibility im just trying to convince myself :lol:

Can't blame you for that, if you figure it out, would you try it on me? :wink:

Freak Out
09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Ouch.

http://media.journalinteractive.com/images/mjs-packers13_-nws_-lynn_-4.jpg

scooterwfr
09-14-2010, 02:31 PM
I said this in the other thread too, but why not offer up a 1st to Carolina for Jonathan Stewart? That guy is a beast and we will have the last pick in next year's 1st round anyway!

Kool-aid has been stirred.

3irty1
09-14-2010, 02:35 PM
TT has a history of being one step ahead. In '07 we were wondering who Favre was going to throw to and Jennings/Jones/Lee answered the call. Also we were in trouble in '07 Grant was traded for at a great value and he went on a rampage. Right about the time we needed emergency help at CB when Harris hurt his spleen, Tramon was there. Last year Lang bailed us out on the Oline.

Between Jackson/Starks/Nance my guess is that someone steps up and plays Samkon Gado for the year. Wouldn't be shocked if this is seen as a position of strength by the offseason.

hoosier
09-14-2010, 02:45 PM
TT has a history of being one step ahead. In '07 we were wondering who Favre was going to throw to and Jennings/Jones/Lee answered the call. Also we were in trouble in '07 Grant was traded for at a great value and he went on a rampage. Right about the time we needed emergency help at CB when Harris hurt his spleen, Tramon was there. Last year Lang bailed us out on the Oline.

Between Jackson/Starks/Nance my guess is that someone steps up and plays Samkon Gado for the year. Wouldn't be shocked if this is seen as a position of strength by the offseason.

What works in favor of this idea is that fact that running backs are relatively easy to plug into McCarthy's offense, provided that they can learn the terminology and pick up the blitz. If someone had to go down at a position where there wasn't much depth, I am glad it wasn't in the defensive secondary. And we know from recent experience that it IS possible to stumble through the first half of the season without a running game and still make a deep run in the playoffs.

Ballboy
09-14-2010, 02:50 PM

What works in favor of this idea is that fact that running backs are relatively easy to plug into McCarthy's offense, provided that they can learn the terminology and pick up the blitz. If someone had to go down at a position where there wasn't much depth, I am glad it wasn't in the defensive secondary. And we know from recent experience that it IS possible to stumble through the first half of the season without a running game and still make a deep run in the playoffs.

Great point, we still run some Zone Blocking and that is why Denver was always able to just "plug in" a different running back from year to year.

Lets not kid ourselves, this is a pass first offense and pass catching really wasn't Grants strength, I would grade Bjack much higher. The back has to be able to pick up the blitz(what the Packers love with Bjack as 3rd down back) and get a few yards.

Brandon494
09-14-2010, 02:54 PM
This is a huge blow!

Now we have Brandon Jackson as our starting and this guy couldnt even stay healthy as a backup. I do like Kuhn but only as a short yardage back, I don't want him getting more than 5 carries a game. Now we sign this Nance dude who barely averaged 4 yards a carry for his college career? I'm praying Sparks shows something when hes allowed to play but he hasnt even been thru training camp so who knows what he can do.

Nance, a 5-foot-10, 219-pound rookie, was signed from Atlanta’s practice squad. At his pro day in March, he ran the 40 yard dash in 4.63 seconds, registered a 33 inch vertical jump, a 9' 6" on the broad jump and bench pressed 19 times :roll: