PDA

View Full Version : Packers to claim RB Dimitri Nance

3irty1
09-14-2010, 02:07 PM
http://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/statuses/24498693387

Rob Demovsky: Two sources have told me the #Packers plan to sign RB Dimitri Nance, a rookie who has been on the #Falcons practice squad. More info to come

Dimitri Nance
School: Arizona State
Height: 5′10″
Weight: 218
40 T: 4.48

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1113490

Positives: Has a well-built frame with defined arm muscles, thick thighs and calves, broad shoulders and tight waist and hips … Gets into stride quickly coming out of his stance, showing the ability to pick and slide effortlessly through the holes … Has made steady improvement with his field vision and shows the short burst and strong leg drive needed to break tackles running up the middle … Runs with above average balance and body control, showing the body lean and quickness to squeeze through the smaller rush lanes … Does a good job of squaring up and getting up field when bouncing wide … More quick than fast, but runs at a low pad level to accelerate up the hole … Has the ability to make the initial tackler miss, as he is crisp when cutting back and redirecting … Displays good hand/eye coordination and body control tracking the ball in flight … Has become an effective route runner who breaks quickly in and out of his cuts … Has the natural hand-catching ability to secure the ball away from the body's frame … Shows good aggression and vision as a cut blocker, doing a nice job of locating and neutralizing linebackers upfield … Generates a strong hand punch and will not hesitate to face up to the larger pass rushers when working in pass protection, but needs better recognition skills.

Negatives: Lacks the second gear to win many long distance foot races, but compensates by taking good angles and showing above average cutting ability to redirect … Relied more on his instincts than an understanding of blocking schemes early in his career, but has made strides to improve in this area … Shows steady acceleration, but needs to recognize hole development better (sometimes runs into the pile) … Does not have the pure speed to reach the corner, but his balance and lateral agility allow him to compensate with quickness in and out of his cuts … Needs to show better awareness of stunts and schemes, as he fails to be locate the blitz and gets into poor position to make the block.

Compares To: CORRELL BUCKHALTER, Denver -- Nance is a good complementary back, much like Buckhalter. There is nothing he does spectacularly, but he gives a good blue collar performance every game. He is a nice safety valve as a receiver out of the backfield and will get tough yards up the middle. He might not ever be a featured back, but he brings decent depth late in the draft.

Airin' Rodgers
09-14-2010, 02:12 PM
If thats an actual scouting report of him, I acutally really like the sound of him

3irty1
09-14-2010, 02:14 PM
http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2010-Big-Board/Dimitri-Nance.html

East-West Shrine Game: Dimitri Nance (Arizona State) is a back you enjoy watching very much. He has more burst than you would expect a man his size to have, and he delivers punishment to anyone trying to tackle him. Nance showed a great start/stop move in the hole today that most big backs can’t make. He doesn’t lose all of his momentum when changing direction, and keeps his piston-like legs moving to churn out the tough yards after contact. He’s more than a big man that is hard to tackle, he runs with “pop” and has an aggressive (mean) attitude when it comes to running the football. Nance also had a good spin move and is light on his feet. – Draft Guys (01.20.10)

East-West Shrine Game: Dimitri Nance (Arizona State) tried to bounce a few too many runs outside. That’s just not his game, and it certainly won’t work at the pro level. Nance is swift, but he needs to get past the line and to the linebackers before he even thinks about cutting outside. He gets very low, and can spin off contact. Nance is hard to bring down because of his girth, and he doesn’t give defenders much to grab onto. He found the cutback lanes on a couple of different runs, and shows good field vision. Occasionally he would stutter step before hitting the hole up the middle and it was just enough for him to move the oncoming linebacker - which allowed him to run through an arm tackle rather than take a defender head on. Nance does have power to run over people, and runs with a great pad level. – Draft Guys (01.19.10)

East-West Shrine Game: Dimitri Nance (Arizona State) runs with a low center of gravity, keeping his shoulders low and his knees high. I can’t wait to see players attempt to tackle him when the plays are live. Besides great pad level Nance also showed good burst and footwork to elude defenders. – Draft Guys (01.18.10)

MadScientist
09-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Here's a recent article on Nance from the preseason.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2010/08/16/can-dimitri-nance-beat-out-jerious-norwood-for-the-scatback-role/

From various fan comments on the AJC site (for whatever that's worth), it sounds like he made a decent impression during the preseason, but was not a quick change of pace back so they gave the last RB slot to Smith instead.

It looks like he will at least be a credible stop gap, if he can learn the offense and blitz pickup quick.

Brandon494
09-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Nance, a 5-foot-10, 219-pound rookie, was signed from Atlanta’s practice squad. At his pro day in March, he ran the 40 yard dash in 4.63 seconds, registered a 33 inch vertical jump, a 9' 6" on the broad jump and bench pressed 19 times

imscott72
09-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Interesting. Lots of positives there. I'll be anxious to see him in action. I doubt he'd be active this week already.

steve823
09-14-2010, 03:22 PM
I think Brandon Jackson will be the main guy now, but I hope this guy steps up. The Chiefs had their eye on him in the draft and wanted him and the Falcons tried to keep him...so so far it sounds like he has potential.

gbpackfan
09-14-2010, 03:54 PM
That 4.63 40 scares me a little bit. But let's see what the kid's got.

3irty1
09-14-2010, 03:54 PM
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/sports/watch/v1314707hq8fq9cc

Video of 57 yard TD run by Nance.

swede
09-14-2010, 03:59 PM

If he has good vision he'll hit a hole better than a faster back might, and if he can cut at speed he can turn a 3 yard gain into an 8 yard gain.

Our offense just needs regular shots of 3-8 yards in order to keep the opposition honest. BJack should be up to that task anyway. It's the O-line that needs to pick it up in order for it to happen.

denverYooper
09-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Descriptions of his running style sound kind of like Grant. I have a feeling they wanted a similar skill set and this guy seems to be close.

3irty1
09-14-2010, 04:27 PM

He looks much faster than that on video from what I've seen. He takes textbook "football steps" as Ron Wolf would say. I haven't watched but two games of his from his senior year but IMO he dances way too much. I'd like to see a more decisive runner like Grant was. He's got some power and pretty good speed especially through the hole, if you can even call what ASU's offensive line creates a hole. A ZBS might be just what he needs. His junior year he managed to fumble 5 times on only 105 carries... YIKES.

There are sexier moves TT could have made--even if he was limited to other teams' practice squads.

Brandon494
09-14-2010, 05:00 PM
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/sports/watch/v1314707hq8fq9cc

Video of 57 yard TD run by Nance.

And the most boring 57 yard TD run of the century award goes too.....

rbaloha1
09-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Nice info. Sounds like a good fit for the Packers zbs. Recall the Broncos always found backs for Gibbs zbs.

SkinBasket
09-14-2010, 05:06 PM
And the most boring 57 yard TD run of the century award goes too.....

Your mom when she tried to outrun the crabs I gave her last month.

Oh wait, you said TD...

My bad.

Brandon494
09-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Nice info. Sounds like a good fit for the Packers zbs. Recall the Broncos always found backs for Gibbs zbs.

Why do people keep trying to compare our O-line to the Broncos O-line just because we run a similiar zone blocking scheme? haha did you forget who our O-line coach is? :lol:

CaliforniaCheez
09-14-2010, 06:05 PM
I went to the FalconFans board which is completely independent (like Packer Rats).

-A couple of posters liked him better than their #3 guy on the active roster

-He is said to be a good receiving back.

-He had one preseason fumble which probably cost him the roster spot.

-mostly positive about the guy and some anger at the Packers for poaching him.

rbaloha1
09-14-2010, 06:07 PM

Why do people keep trying to compare our O-line to the Broncos O-line just because we run a similiar zone blocking scheme? haha did you forget who our O-line coach is? :lol:

Realize Gibbs was the coach. My point is there are many serviceable backs for the zbs as opposed to tailbacks for the I formation.

Brandon494
09-14-2010, 06:12 PM
I went to the FalconFans board which is completely independent (like Packer Rats).

If we had signed the guy as our #3 RB before the season started I would have no problem. I do have a problem with it when we lose a starter who has more yards his first three seasons then any RB in Packer history and try to replace him with a undrafted rookie who couldnt make an 53 man team.

CaliforniaCheez
09-14-2010, 06:15 PM

If we had signed the guy as our #3 RB before the season started I would have no problem. I do have a problem with it when we lose a starter who has more yards his first three seasons then any RB in Packer history and try to replace him with a undrafted rookie who couldnt make an 53 man team.

Hey it is not a perfect world but you have to trust Ted's judgement that he got the best available player. I am just advising on what the Falcons fans are saying.

Lurker64
09-14-2010, 06:16 PM

Usually, the way NFL teams deal with injuries is that if the #1 guy at a position goes down, they promote the #2 guy to #1, promote the #3 guy to #2 and so on down the line. If you add a guy at that position, he'll be the new #3 (or whatever.)

So Jackson is replacing Grant, Kuhn is replacing Jackson, and Nantz is replacing Kuhn qua running back. The pressure is on Jackson to fill Grants shoes (and play up to his draft status); there's comparatively little pressure on the last guy.

Brandon494
09-14-2010, 06:28 PM
OK well I dont want Kuhn as my #2 back and neither should any team looking to win the SB.

retailguy
09-14-2010, 07:39 PM
OK well I dont want Kuhn as my #2 back and neither should any team looking to win the SB.

I want to see him run a few more games before I say this, but the odds are this is correct.

Lurker64
09-14-2010, 07:52 PM

It all depends on what you plan to do with the #2 back. With Jackson as the #2, all the Packers really asked him to do was block on third down, occasionally catch a dump-off pass in the flat, and run a draw or two. I have no problem with having a FB fill all of these roles, since these are pretty much the responsibilities of a modern NFL FB anyway.

When it comes to "someone to put in the game to spell Jackson", I agree with you I don't think that Kuhn is that guy. Maybe Nantz is, I dunno. I can't recall ever see him playing in college.

Smidgeon
09-14-2010, 10:17 PM

It all depends on what you plan to do with the #2 back. With Jackson as the #2, all the Packers really asked him to do was block on third down, occasionally catch a dump-off pass in the flat, and run a draw or two. I have no problem with having a FB fill all of these roles, since these are pretty much the responsibilities of a modern NFL FB anyway.

When it comes to "someone to put in the game to spell Jackson", I agree with you I don't think that Kuhn is that guy. Maybe Nantz is, I dunno. I can't recall ever see him playing in college.

I don't disagree, but wasn't it fun to watch him bowl through twelve yards of defenders on one of his runs Sunday?

Scott Campbell
09-14-2010, 10:19 PM
I don't disagree, but wasn't it fun to watch him bowl through twelve yards of defenders on one of his runs Sunday?

I was having flashbacks to Christian Okoye.

3irty1
09-14-2010, 11:32 PM
I love how everyone has a monster hard-on for Kuhn after two carries for 15 yards and a TD. IMO this is like Ruvell Martin getting emergency snaps at QB. When you sign a new QB, Ruvell is not going to be above him on the depth chart. Kuhn is a full back. His runs were from the full back position. He'll stay a fullback although he may get more carries now.

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2010, 11:36 PM
I love how everyone has a monster hard-on for Kuhn after two carries for 15 yards and a TD. IMO this is like Ruvell Martin getting emergency snaps at QB. When you sign a new QB, Ruvell is not going to be above him on the depth chart. Kuhn is a full back. His runs were from the full back position. He'll stay a fullback although he may get more carries now.

I don't think Kuhn is the answer for 20 carries/game, but he was surprisingly good in the preseason. I think he's good for a half dozen carries/game.

Smidgeon
09-14-2010, 11:39 PM

I thought his one carry that went for 12 yards was from the HB. But I defer since I'm going by a spotty memory.

And I have no fantasies about Kuhn doing anything special. I just liked the one run. A lot.

3irty1
09-14-2010, 11:55 PM

I thought his one carry that went for 12 yards was from the HB. But I defer since I'm going by a spotty memory.

And I have no fantasies about Kuhn doing anything special. I just liked the one run. A lot.

It well could be. I just remember one from the FB... I think it was the TD run. None the less, its 2 carries.

Lurker64
09-14-2010, 11:59 PM

I don't think Kuhn is the answer for 20 carries/game, but he was surprisingly good in the preseason. I think he's good for a half dozen carries/game.

And before we get worried about the # of carries the #2 back will have in this offense, let's look at the # of carries the #2 back has had in this offense. In 2009 Jackson had 2 carries against the Lions, 9 against the Browns, 1 against the Bucs, 2 against Dallas, 4 against the niners, 6 against the Lions, 2 against the Bears, 1 agains the Steelers, 5 against the Seahawks, 6 against the Cardinals, and 2 against the Cardinals in the playoffs. In 2008 Jackson's carries were 7, 7, 3, 1, 2, 1, 10, 2, 11, 1 in the games where he actually had a rushing attempt. In those two years he did have 21 and 30 receptions, but this appears to be a job that someone like Kuhn can do.

woodbuck27
09-15-2010, 12:45 AM

And before we get worried about the # of carries the #2 back will have in this offense, let's look at the # of carries the #2 back has had in this offense. In 2009 Jackson had 2 carries against the Lions, 9 against the Browns, 1 against the Bucs, 2 against Dallas, 4 against the niners, 6 against the Lions, 2 against the Bears, 1 agains the Steelers, 5 against the Seahawks, 6 against the Cardinals, and 2 against the Cardinals in the playoffs. In 2008 Jackson's carries were 7, 7, 3, 1, 2, 1, 10, 2, 11, 1 in the games where he actually had a rushing attempt. In those two years he did have 21 and 30 receptions, but this appears to be a job that someone like Kuhn can do.

Solid effort in that post.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2010, 12:56 AM
I was overly impressed with his college highlights, but the big plus is that Nance played in Atlanta's zone blocking scheme, and they seemed to like him.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-09/packers-rbs

As expected, the Packers added a street free agent to take Grant's roster spot and supplement Jackson. They signed undrafted rookie Dimitri Nance off Atlanta's practice squad. The Packers, like the Falcons, utilize a zone-blocking scheme. At 5-11 and 211, Nance's running style is a good fit for the system.

Nance, a former Texas high school superstar who starred at Arizona State, just fell short of making the Falcons' roster. At one time in camp, it looked like he might challenge Jerious Norwood for the spot behind starter Michael Turner.

Fritz
09-15-2010, 06:40 AM

But you're missing the point of the criticism of some fans here. They don't want McCarthy to promote Jackson to the #1 back and then find a new #3, moving Kuhn to #2. They want Thompson to trade a future pick plus a player on the team they either hate or don't care about in exchange for a running back whose name they've heard before, like Laurence Maroney or Marshawn Lynch.

The sense I get is that those folks believe that if this is going to be a team that goes far in the playoffs, it needs that big name at running back since Grant has gone down.

I don't agree. I think that's fan-think. But I'm only a fan, too. To me, your post is very logical. I have no problem moving Jackson up and using Kuhn as the #2 since, as you point out, he's not going to get many carries anyway.

Little Whiskey
09-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Wasn't grant on the Giants Practice Squad when the packers traded for him? As a giant he was an undrafted free agent that nobody heard of. maybe lightning strikes twice!

imscott72
09-15-2010, 09:37 AM

I can't wait to see him play. I'm anxious to hear comments from practice this week. I don't imagine he'll be active until week 3.

imscott72
09-15-2010, 09:41 AM

But you're missing the point of the criticism of some fans here. They don't want McCarthy to promote Jackson to the #1 back and then find a new #3, moving Kuhn to #2. They want Thompson to trade a future pick plus a player on the team they either hate or don't care about in exchange for a running back whose name they've heard before, like Laurence Maroney or Marshawn Lynch.

The sense I get is that those folks believe that if this is going to be a team that goes far in the playoffs, it needs that big name at running back since Grant has gone down.

I don't agree. I think that's fan-think. But I'm only a fan, too. To me, your post is very logical. I have no problem moving Jackson up and using Kuhn as the #2 since, as you point out, he's not going to get many carries anyway.

Fans are always going to want a name they're familiar with. With those guys you listed, we've seen what they can do, whereas this Nance dude, we know nothing about. I'm all for getting someone for cheap like we did as long as he's an adequate replacement. Of course we won't know this for weeks to come.

Tarlam!
09-15-2010, 10:11 AM
I don't imagine he'll be active until week 3.

I don't see why this would be. Of course he needs to learn the play book and language, but he could get instruction from A-Rod in the huddle on some basic plays. "Hit this gap, block this guy".

He could contribute this Sunday.

imscott72
09-15-2010, 10:17 AM

I don't see why this would be. Of course he needs to learn the play book and language, but he could get instruction from A-Rod in the huddle on some basic plays. "Hit this gap, block this guy".

Possibly. I guess that depends on how practice goes. I'd like to think we don't really need to rush him in there being we're playing Buffalo.

Tarlam!
09-15-2010, 10:18 AM
I see your point, but I just can't wait to see what he's got. :?:

3irty1
09-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Just realized that Ryan Torain, whom Dimitri Nance backed up in college is also available on the Redskins PS. Ted works in mysterious ways.

Joemailman
09-17-2010, 09:58 PM
http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/2010_east_west_shrine_game_day_2_practice_report_-_west/

Dimitri Nance (Arizona State) tried to bounce a few too many runs outside. That’s just not his game, and it certainly won’t work at the pro level. Nance is swift, but he needs to get past the line and to the linebackers before he even thinks about cutting outside. He gets very low, and can spin off contact. Nance is hard to bring down because of his girth, and he doesn’t give defenders much to grab onto. He found the cutback lanes on a couple of different runs, and shows good field vision. Occasionally he would stutter step before hitting the hole up the middle and it was just enough for him to move the oncoming linebacker - which allowed him to run through an arm tackle rather than take a defender head on. Nance does have power to run over people, and runs with a great pad level.

Now we know why he's here!!

gbgary
09-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Yup...not just good pad level...but GREAT!

Smidgeon
09-17-2010, 11:47 PM
http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/2010_east_west_shrine_game_day_2_practice_report_-_west/

Dimitri Nance (Arizona State) tried to bounce a few too many runs outside. That’s just not his game, and it certainly won’t work at the pro level. Nance is swift, but he needs to get past the line and to the linebackers before he even thinks about cutting outside. He gets very low, and can spin off contact. Nance is hard to bring down because of his girth, and he doesn’t give defenders much to grab onto. He found the cutback lanes on a couple of different runs, and shows good field vision. Occasionally he would stutter step before hitting the hole up the middle and it was just enough for him to move the oncoming linebacker - which allowed him to run through an arm tackle rather than take a defender head on. Nance does have power to run over people, and runs with a great pad level.

Now we know why he's here!!

A poor man's Maurice Jones-Drew?

KYPack
09-18-2010, 08:09 AM

He could pick up the running plays real quick. But he won't hit the field until he is familiar with the pass pro, the hot reads and the blitz pick-ups. Those have unique terminology and no QB will trust him until he has all that stuff down cold.

Tarlam!
09-18-2010, 08:36 AM

He could pick up the running plays real quick. But he won't hit the field until he is familiar with the pass pro, the hot reads and the blitz pick-ups. Those have unique terminology and no QB will trust him until he has all that stuff down cold.

It's too bad I never played the game. It makes it so difficult for me to understand the finer points.

Fritz
09-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Translation: until the team is sure that Nance understands the blocking schemes so Aaron Rodgers doesn't get killed, he will not play.

bobblehead
09-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Just realized that Ryan Torain, whom Dimitri Nance backed up in college is also available on the Redskins PS. Ted works in mysterious ways.

Not unprecedented. Many college backups have better careers than the guy they backed up.

Who did Edgar Bennet back up in college? If I recall, he wasn't a starter.

Patler
09-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Not unprecedented. Many college backups have better careers than the guy they backed up.

You are probably thinking of Amp Lee, but Bennett didn't really back him up. Lee started at halfback and was their featured runner. Edgar Bennett started at fullback.

Scott Campbell
09-18-2010, 11:06 AM
I liked the backup to Thurman Thomas at Oklahoma State.

mission
09-18-2010, 11:08 AM
I liked the backup to Thurman Thomas at Oklahoma State.

Naw... I'd much prefer Tony Mandarich.

hoosier
09-18-2010, 11:35 AM

You are probably thinking of Amp Lee, but Bennett didn't really back him up. Lee started at halfback and was their featured runner. Edgar Bennett started at fullback.

Featured runners also included Dexter Carter and Sammie Smith.