PDA

View Full Version : 4 season enders in one game

Patler
09-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Harrell and Grant for the Packers.
Weaver and Jackson for the Eagles.
All put on IR with season ending injuries suffered in the first game.
Kind of amazing, really.

Then throw in concussions for Kolb and Bradley, you have one brutal game.

Brandon494
09-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Two brothers also got injuried in week 1...

Cullen Jenkins fractured his hand and Chris Jenkins of the Jets tore his ACL.

Joemailman
09-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Lets play 18!

Patler
09-14-2010, 06:13 PM
I would like to see a study of when season ending injuries happen. I have had an impression that more occur early in the season than later in the season. I've never seen anything to confirm ore refute it, just an impression I have had.

vince
09-14-2010, 06:17 PM
I would like to see a study of when season ending injuries happen. I have had an impression that more occur early in the season than later in the season. I've never seen anything to confirm ore refute it, just an impression I have had.
The Commish said at the Green Bay "town meeting" that there is no evidence of injuries occurring at a higher rate in colder weather, so while that doesn't say they happen more earlier in the year, it does say that they don't happen more later.

Without seeing the data, my guess would be the same as yours Patler.

Lurker64
09-14-2010, 06:19 PM
The Commish said at the Green Bay "town meeting" that there is no evidence of injuries occurring at a higher rate in colder weather, so while that doesn't say they happen more earlier in the year, it does say that they don't happen more later.

I was thinking about this earlier, and I would certainly guess that major injuries are more common early on simply because of the ramp up in terms of intensity and violence in the transition from the preseason to the regular season. Everybody has minor aches and pains later in the year, but I would guess the most major injuries occur when players are least ready for them and least acclimated to the hitting that goes on in the regular season.

red
09-14-2010, 06:27 PM

it does for sure feel that way

vince
09-14-2010, 06:28 PM

I was thinking about this earlier, and I would certainly guess that major injuries are more common early on simply because of the ramp up in terms of intensity and violence in the transition from the preseason to the regular season. Everybody has minor aches and pains later in the year, but I would guess the most major injuries occur when players are least ready for them and least acclimated to the hitting that goes on in the regular season.Exactly.

Patler
09-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Since I do like to argue, I will argue with myself:

But, Patler, recent history with the Packers has had Harris, Kampman and Tauscher all go out later in the season. Spitz, however, was early.

:lol:

RashanGary
09-14-2010, 07:18 PM
I would guess it looks a little like a u. Starts high, gets fewer in the middle of the season and then more again at the end when fatigue starts setting in.

bobblehead
09-14-2010, 08:07 PM

I have the same feeling and its a reason I believe in a heavier hitting training camp. Your body adjusts to what you put it through, and if you walk through your plays and then go balls out on sunday you get injuries (and poorer execution). If you practice punting indoors then try to catch the ball in the swirling freezing wind of Chicago you will fuck it up.

Fosco33
09-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Harrell and Grant for the Packers.
Weaver and Jackson for the Eagles.
All put on IR with season ending injuries suffered in the first game.
Kind of amazing, really.

Then throw in concussions for Kolb and Bradley, you have one brutal game.

Wasn't that all in the 1st half?? Truly crazy.

Scott Campbell
09-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Two brothers also got injuried in week 1...

Cullen Jenkins fractured his hand and Chris Jenkins of the Jets tore his ACL.

That might be a wrap for Kris. Helluva career.

woodbuck27
09-14-2010, 11:47 PM

My guess would be the same. That early season injuries happen with a higher frequency and degree of player loss, than balance of schedule injuries. Doesn't it come down to real schedule game conditioning, that's related to being punished by the contact in real competition?

I tried to discover something to verify an answer to this question without success. I got this.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/footballinjuries/a/footballinjury.htm

For anyone that loves to read. :D

Fritz
09-15-2010, 08:35 AM
I would guess it looks a little like a u. Starts high, gets fewer in the middle of the season and then more again at the end when fatigue starts setting in.

No, a parabola!

Tarlam!
09-15-2010, 09:26 AM
What happens to a player's salary when he goes on IR? Does he still get paid?

Patler
09-15-2010, 09:48 AM
What happens to a player's salary when he goes on IR? Does he still get paid?

Yes, they get their full salary per their contract. However, some contracts have two tier salary systems based on availability, and the Packers have made extensive use of weekly bonuses tied to being on the game day active roster, so a player might not get as much as he would if he was playing. It all depends on his contract.

Tarlam!
09-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Not to hijack the thread;

During the salary cap days, did those salaries count against the cap?

Patler
09-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Not to hijack the thread;

During the salary cap days, did those salaries count against the cap?

Yes, as do practice squad salaries.

swede
09-15-2010, 10:52 AM

But, Patler, recent history with the Packers has had Harris, Kampman and Tauscher all go out later in the season. Spitz, however, was early.

Patlurbation.

denverYooper
09-15-2010, 10:56 AM

No, a parabola!

I think he might be thinking of a bathtub curve:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6e/Bathtub_curve.jpg/350px-Bathtub_curve.jpg

Patler
09-15-2010, 11:09 AM

Patlurbation.

ND72
09-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Lets play 18!

That has been my arguement forever about playing 18. You're going to have teams in the super bowl with no names having to play big roles.

Patler
09-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Lets play 18!

That has been my arguement forever about playing 18. You're going to have teams in the super bowl with no names having to play big roles.

Couldn't the same arguments have been made when they went to 16 from 14, and to 14 from 12?

I don't see 16 as any kind of magical number that players bodies can withstand, whereas a 17th and 18th game will push them over the edge. Twelve teams already play 17 or more games, four teams play at least 18 and two teams play at least 19. Will it really hurt for the others to play an 18 game regular schedule?

I haven' noticed anything in the playoffs to indicate that all teams will be at significantly more risk for injuring by requiring all to play at least 18.

Lurker64
09-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Lets play 18!

Well, that would likely be the case if the rules for IR were unchanged. But if the league instituted a "Disabled List" system like they have in Baseball, where a player on the list doesn't count against your roster and cannot return for a set amount of time, you could avoid a lot of that.

The time periods would obviously have to be different than baseball, but I don't see anything inherently wrong with being able to put a guy on the shelf for 1, 2, or 3 months.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Lets play 18!

Well, that would likely be the case if the rules for IR were unchanged. But if the league instituted a "Disabled List" system like they have in Baseball, where a player on the list doesn't count against your roster and cannot return for a set amount of time, you could avoid a lot of that.

The time periods would obviously have to be different than baseball, but I don't see anything inherently wrong with being able to put a guy on the shelf for 1, 2, or 3 months.

I really like that idea alot. I don't understand why they don't have something like that in place for the 16 game schedule even.