PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Jackson's fearless projections...

packers11
09-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Since I think Ryan Grant is a bit over rated and Jackson is under rated... My fearless prediction is...

250 carries... 1050 yards... 4.2 avg 7 tds

Pour me some koooooool aidddddddddddddddddd...yum

packerbacker1234
09-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Jackson will get 200 carries, maybe 220.

I seriously think with the plethera of recieving options, were just going to turn into the colts offense, which is like... 80% passing. That isn't a bad thing, but AR NEEDS to make better decisions. He made some uncharateristic throws last game, and his accuracy was off at times. AR has to play better.

The Leaper
09-14-2010, 08:46 PM
I don't think we will pass more...I think we will see Kuhn more. McCarthy has a hard on for the running game...and does dumb things sometimes trying to establish/prolong one.

Lurker64
09-14-2010, 08:46 PM
I think we will throw more short passes to running backs in lieu of runs.

But Jackson getting 1000 yards isn't all that improbable, he only needs to average like 66 rushing yards per game for the rest of the season to reach that. 66 yards is totally doable.

woodbuck27
09-14-2010, 09:45 PM
I think we will throw more short passes to running backs in lieu of runs.

But Jackson getting 1000 yards isn't all that improbable, he only needs to average like 66 rushing yards per game for the rest of the season to reach that. 66 yards is totally doable.

Screw the nimber of yards baloney. We need a RB in place that will take the heat off of Aaron Rodgers and compliment MM's approach to managing games. Since when was it Packer football to go 'all in with the pass'? That won't be MM's way.

Then again it comes to: MM can only work with what TT allows him. It comes down to TT, first and last.

GO PACK GO!

Scott Campbell
09-14-2010, 10:04 PM
I would not be one bit surprised if B. Jackson is not the guy by the end of the year. He's lost his starting gig to an unknown once before.

mission
09-14-2010, 11:07 PM
I would not be one bit surprised if B. Jackson is not the guy by the end of the year. He's lost his starting gig to an unknown once before.

For some reason, I still feel really good about Starks.

denverYooper
09-15-2010, 06:49 AM
195 carries, 802 yards.
53 rec, 582 yards.

I'm interested to see what he does for the passing game. He's better in blitz pickup and catching the ball. He'll give teams more to think about on 1st and 2nd down (unless we're up 20 in the 3rd quarter... then teams can expect a healthy dose of run-run-pass)

3irty1
09-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Since I think Grant is criminally underrated and Jackson is pedestrian at best:
250 carries, 800 yards

bobblehead
09-15-2010, 09:09 AM
I don't think we will pass more...I think we will see Kuhn more. McCarthy has a hard on for the running game...and does dumb things sometimes trying to establish/prolong one.

Because everyone knows you need to run the rock to win in the NFL. We will need Jackson to run well. Running wears down a DLine. It wears down a D. It keeps the other teams O off the field.

Tarlam!
09-15-2010, 11:11 AM

He's from Pittsburg, of course he's a run-first addict. It's in his genes.

Scott Campbell
09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Since I think Ryan Grant is a bit over rated and Jackson is under rated... My fearless prediction is...

I don't think Jackson is the starter at year end.

Patler
09-15-2010, 11:35 AM

I'm thinking along those lines, too. Or, if he is starting, he will be splitting snaps much more evenly with others than Grant has the last few years. I think eventually that someone, maybe even Starks, will be getting a lot of the 1st and 2nd down snaps. That's what Starks was expected to compete for. The Packers have not seriously considered Jackson in that role the last couple of seasons. If they did, he would have relieved Grant a lot more than he has.

ND72
09-15-2010, 11:36 AM

That was also his rookie season.

ND72
09-15-2010, 11:38 AM

I'm thinking along those lines, too. Or, if he is starting, he will be splitting snaps much more evenly with others than Grant has the last few years. I think eventually that someone, maybe even Starks, will be getting a lot of the 1st and 2nd down snaps. That's what Starks was expected to compete for. The Packers have not seriously considered Jackson in that role the last couple of seasons. If they did, he would have relieved Grant a lot more than he has.

I love how supportive we are of our guys. Jackson might not be the most ellusive back, and he might not hit a hole as hard as Grant does, but Jackson is a better zone reader than Grant is, and he is a better cutter than Grant it. Don't be surprised if our Zones start looking a little better with Jackson.

Scott Campbell
09-15-2010, 11:45 AM
I love how supportive we are of our guys.

It's not that I'm not supportive. I like him as a 3rd down back. I just haven't seen anything yet that makes me think that he's a lock to remain our every down back.

I wouldn't mind being wrong at all.

Patler
09-15-2010, 11:47 AM

I love how supportive we are of our guys. Jackson might not be the most ellusive back, and he might not hit a hole as hard as Grant does, but Jackson is a better zone reader than Grant is, and he is a better cutter than Grant it. Don't be surprised if our Zones start looking a little better with Jackson.

It's got nothing to do with being supportive or nonsupportive. I support Daryn Colledge, I just don't think he is a particularly good or consistent lineman.

I think Jackson has significant value on 3rd downs, and I don't think his durability allows him to carry Grant's workload together with his own previous workload. For that reason, I think MM will use someone else on more of the 1st and 2nd down situations, to "save" Jackson for the 3rd down role.

Besides, as I implied, if the Packers really did like Jackson's 1st and 2nd down capabilities, why have they used him so little for anything other than 3rd downs?

mraynrand
09-15-2010, 11:51 AM
I have to agree that MM probably won't want Jackson to be the season-long starting tailback. I think you actually want Jackson to remain fresh for third downs where he excels at catching screens and in pass pro. Still, I'm not terribly worried about first and second down, even if 'Buckets' Kuhn is in there. Just fire up the Road Grader and get 'er done!

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/621/slideshow_62152/display_image.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Jackson is a better zone reader than Grant is, and he is a better cutter than Grant it. Don't be surprised if our Zones start looking a little better with Jackson.

I don't agree with this, and I don't think it's close. There are things to like about Jackson (e.g. power, balance, pass pro, catching), but reading a zone and being a one cut runner. I actually think he's misplaced in this scheme.

Speed - Grant
Power - Jackson
Balance - Jackson
One Cut Ability - Grant
Blocker - Jackson
Receiver - Jackson
Awareness - Grant

3irty1
09-15-2010, 12:02 PM

Disagree big time. Grant is the starter for a reason and that reason is that he's a great fit for the scheme.

Lurker64
09-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Screw the nimber of yards baloney. We need a RB in place that will take the heat off of Aaron Rodgers and compliment MM's approach to managing games. Since when was it Packer football to go 'all in with the pass'? That won't be MM's way.

Screen passes, shovel passes, and the like frequently function as "extended handoffs" in order to maximize a running back's skills like "good hands" and "niftiness in the open field" while minimizing a back's troubles in the traffic closest to the line. This seems like the sort of thing that would be perfect for Jackson.

vince
09-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Has anyone else noticed Brandon Jackson's resemblance to Wanda from In Living Color when he's running?

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Living-Color-BH-02.jpg

mmmdk
09-15-2010, 12:56 PM

Run first ? :?: No! :no: But McCarthy does dumb things trying to establish running game. Yes! :jig: Mike III is clueless...well maybe not clueless but he ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer with the running game. :bang:
McCarthy = Pittsburgh wannabe :flm:

mmmdk
09-15-2010, 01:12 PM
...I gotta show that I can do other than throw knives at McCarthy.

Hmm he's lost weight and he's a great coach from february till start of august. Not good enough!? Well, he's had mucho to do with the makings of AR into a star. :bow: There!

hoosier
09-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Living in southern Indiana my access to televised Packer games is fairly minimal. From what I have seen in the last couple of years, it seems to me that a significant number of Rodgers's big plays through the air have come off of play fakes. The game winner to Jennings against Chicago last year is one obvious example. But maybe my impression is based on a small sampling that isn't representative of McCarthy's "body of work."

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Living in southern Indiana my access to televised Packer games is fairly minimal. From what I have seen in the last couple of years, it seems to me that a significant number of Rodgers's big plays through the air have come off of play fakes. The game winner to Jennings against Chicago last year is one obvious example. But maybe my impression is based on a small sampling that isn't representative of McCarthy's "body of work."

I don't think so. Not compared to most teams. Play action works best when you are good at running the ball. Teams aren't geared to stop our passing attack.
:D

Rodgers gets his big plays out of all sets. Pocket, shotgun, play action, rollouts, etc.

Brandon494
09-15-2010, 08:49 PM
hahaha Ryan Grant is overrated? Thats a good one! Brandon Jackson will not rush for 1,000 this season nor will he even last 16 games.

RashanGary
09-15-2010, 09:13 PM
The thing about Grant that you loved, he was always out there for the last two and a half years.

That said, I have quite a bit of confidence in Brandon Jackson. This year, in particular, he's looked really good.

If he can stay healthy and gets the bulk of carries, I think he'll get 1,000 yards. He's a much better threat out of the backfield, so it opens up another little avenue on our 1st and 2nd down offense as well.

I like Grant, but assuming Jackson stays healthy, I don't think this is a major blow. Now if we lost a guy like Tramon Williams or BJ Raji (neither great players but solid players like Grant) we'd be in more trouble because the guys taking over are really bad.

Jackson is fine. Grant was good. We'll be OK if Jackson can find a way to stay healthy.

NewsBruin
09-15-2010, 09:28 PM
The knock on Jackson, since his draft evaluations, was that he was not an exceptionally quick or fast prospect who isn't going to shed tackles in the interior. Reading that, I thought, "Here's a guy who's not going to consistently get first downs by himself. That's not a guy we can feature an NFL running game around." I believe everyone's positive evaluation of his pass-catching and pass-blocking skills, but I don't see that as being the same as a good runner.

I still don't know how he's going to get any quicker or faster with more years of NFL experience. It's nice that he's relatively fresh for the number of seasons under his belt, but I just don't think he's going to get us enough ground yards to be a reliable starting back.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm not sure Jackson's quickness or speed is that bad. I think he ran 4.5 40 or better (maybe even high 4.4s)--which is plenty fast enough at RB. My problems with him are his vision and tendency to dance instead of pounding a hole.

superfan
09-16-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure Jackson's quickness or speed is that bad. I think he ran 4.5 40 or better (maybe even high 4.4s)--which is plenty fast enough at RB. My problems with him are his vision and tendency to dance instead of pounding a hole.

Can't allow this beauty of a quote to fade into the internet oblivion. Sounds like a phrase somebody would use to describe SkinBasket. Or Liberace.

Thread bumped? - check
Updated sig? - double check

Cheesehead Craig
09-16-2010, 11:13 PM

Can't allow this beauty of a quote to fade into the internet oblivion. Sounds like a phrase somebody would use to describe SkinBasket. Or Liberace.

Thread bumped? - check
Updated sig? - double check

Well done Super, well done. We should get shirts of this and wear them to the Park Tavern during a Packer game.

superfan
09-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Well done Super, well done. We should get shirts of this and wear them to the Park Tavern during a Packer game.

I like your thinking. Could just stencil that quote onto some used #4 jerseys? :twisted:

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Superfan took advantage of a desperate man and got Brandon Jackson from me for the lesser Manning.

Bossman641
09-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Superfan took advantage of a desperate man and got Brandon Jackson from me for the lesser Manning.

At least he didn't REALLY take advantage of you and pound a hole. :D

MichiganPackerFan
09-20-2010, 11:46 AM

Run first ? :?: No! :no: But McCarthy does dumb things trying to establish running game. Yes! :jig: Mike III is clueless...well maybe not clueless but he ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer with the running game. :bang:

This has GOT to be some sort of record for most emoticons used in context of a short paragraph.

mmmdk
09-20-2010, 12:20 PM

This has GOT to be some sort of record for most emoticons used in context of a short paragraph.

That was my [hidden] aim :wave: