PDA

View Full Version : How will MM use Jackson, and other RBs?

Patler
09-15-2010, 11:23 AM
The last few years, Grant was the 1st & 2nd down back, and Jackson came in on 3rd down passing situations. He seemed fairly good at it, having learned to be a good blocker in pass pro, and always having been a decent receiver. I think Jackson's blocking has been important in Rodgers' phenomenal success on 3rd down passes, giving him time to complete passes even when blitzed.

Which leads to my questions:
Will Jackson still be the "3rd down back" since he is very good at it?
Will he get the bulk of snaps that would have gone to Grant?
As a result, will he be on the field even more than Grant was?
..or, will we see more variations on 1st or 2nd downs, getting Jackson off the field?

Tony Oday
09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I would think Kuhn is a better blocker than B Jack just because of his position.

Patler
09-15-2010, 11:26 AM
I would think Kuhn is a better blocker than B Jack just because of his position.

Perhaps as a lead blocker in the running game, but I'm not sure that makes him as good or better in picking up blitzes.

Tony Oday
09-15-2010, 11:32 AM
This is all conjecture on my part but Kuhn practiced in the HB position. IF he knows the reads to block you would imagine he would be a petter pass protector than B Jack.

I am seeing B Jack in between the 20's with one cut running and Kuhn inside the 20 and on third down. Kuhn can catch and is a little more nasty in between the guards.

MichiganPackerFan
09-15-2010, 11:35 AM
I think a lot of this is based on the ASSUMPTION that MM might actually try to run the ball.

Tony Oday
09-15-2010, 11:45 AM
I think a lot of this is based on the ASSUMPTION that MM might actually try to run the ball.

we did run the ball an average of 25.76 carries a game last year.

Kiwon
09-15-2010, 11:50 AM
The last few years, Grant was the 1st & 2nd down back, and Jackson came in on 3rd down passing situations. He seemed fairly good at it, having learned to be a good blocker in pass pro, and always having been a decent receiver. I think Jackson's blocking has been important in Rodgers' phenomenal success on 3rd down passes, giving him time to complete passes even when blitzed.

Which leads to my questions:
Will Jackson still be the "3rd down back" since he is very good at it?
Will he get the bulk of snaps that would have gone to Grant?
As a result, will he be on the field even more than Grant was?
..or, will we see more variations on 1st or 2nd downs, getting Jackson off the field?

I would expect that MM and company would give Jackson the chance this week against Buffalo to prove that he is ready to be "the guy" on 1st and 2nd downs. If it doesn't work out then some sort of a rotation might be tried. Also, knowing that Jackson can block on 3rd down might mean that he can be used as a decoy and free up the fullback to catch a swing pass out of the backfield the way William Henderson used to do.

mmmdk
09-15-2010, 01:04 PM

we did run the ball an average of 25.76 carries a game last year.

3.625 of those runs were by Aaron Rodgers...a game!

imscott72
09-15-2010, 01:10 PM
This is all conjecture on my part but Kuhn practiced in the HB position. IF he knows the reads to block you would imagine he would be a petter pass protector than B Jack.

I am seeing B Jack in between the 20's with one cut running and Kuhn inside the 20 and on third down. Kuhn can catch and is a little more nasty in between the guards.

I agree with this. I think Kuhn will get the goal line carries and when B Jax needs a blow. Now I'm curious what Nance's role will be.

mmmdk
09-15-2010, 01:20 PM

I agree with this. I think Kuhn will get the goal line carries and when B Jax needs a blow. Now I'm curious what Nance's role will be.

I agree with the analyses of the GB running rotation but Packers & McCarthy won't magically transform into a run power house and into a smart run oriented OC in Mike III. Bet on it!

Tony Oday
09-15-2010, 01:32 PM

I agree with the analyses of the GB running rotation but Packers & McCarthy won't magically transform into a run power house and into a smart run oriented OC in Mike III. Bet on it!

I dont think we need to be run orientated because of our high powered passing attack, we just need a running game that keeps the DEs from pinning their ears back and just rushing AR

KYPack
09-15-2010, 01:49 PM
I actually thought of something last week before Grant got hurt.

I thought of it when we ran so many sets with no RB. We keep all these goddamned FB's but don't even use one? Why not run a jumbo? Put Kuhn at tailback and put Quinn Johnson in at FB. Run it out of two TE's and throw out of it once in ahwile. With the loss of Grant, we gotta make do and be creative. Let's try that baby and see what happens.

Cheesehead Craig
09-15-2010, 02:42 PM

BJack is an excellent in pass blocking and blitz pick-up. It would be foolish to take him out of those situations and trust that a FB who has little experience in doing that, especially with our OL as it is. I don't expect any change of BJack as the blocking back on 3rd down passing situations, assuming we don't run a 5 WR formation.

Freak Out
09-15-2010, 02:45 PM
I think Jackson/Kuhn split the bulk of the carries this week with Jackson staying as the 3rd down back and we'll see how things go with the new kid.

hoosier
09-15-2010, 02:48 PM
My guess is that he uses Jackson as primary running back until they can figure out what they really have with Nance and/or Kuhn. If one of them can be effective carrying the ball then that provides more flexibility to save Jackson for passing downs. Alternatively, they could throw in more empty backfield sets to rest Jackson. The only thing that would get in the way would be that Jackson starts tearing it up and doesn't let McCarthy get him off the field.

boiga
09-15-2010, 04:00 PM
I actually thought of something last week before Grant got hurt.

I thought of it when we ran so many sets with no RB. We keep all these goddamned FB's but don't even use one? Why not run a jumbo? Put Kuhn at tailback and put Quinn Johnson in at FB. Run it out of two TE's and throw out of it once in ahwile. With the loss of Grant, we gotta make do and be creative. Let's try that baby and see what happens.

I reallllly like this idea. Kuhn's never going to break a long run but with QJ blocking for him I can't see how they wouldn't get 5 yards every single try.

mission
09-15-2010, 04:06 PM
I hope we just start passing and keep on passing until it's all over.