PDA

View Full Version : AJ Hawk would be open for a trade

Brando19
09-15-2010, 08:05 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/15/aj-hawk-would-be-open-to-a-trade/

A.J. Hawk's agent wants to make it clear his client his asking for a trade. But he wouldn't mind leaving town either.

"A.J. is a pro's pro and wants to do his part to help the team win, and his first priority is to be the best Packer he can," Hawk's confusingly named agent Mike McCartney told Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "But if some team called and wanted him to play on all three downs, I think he'd be excited about that."

Hawk didn't play a snap on defense last week because the Packers played in nickel and dime packages every single down. So it's not a shock he wants to get on the field. Just don't expect to happen.

We wrote earlier Wednesday that Packers Ted Thompson was unlikely to trade for someone else's failed high draft pick. We doubt even more that he'll trade one of his own picks away.

The Packers brought Hawk back for more than $4 million this season, knowing he's a role player. That hasn't changed. Finding a taker for him at that price wouldn't be easy, and Thompson would likely see the move hurting the 2010 Packers.

Hawk may get his chance to play every down away from Green Bay, but he'll probably have to wait a year.

Brando19
09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Hmmm...a Hawk for Lynch (or another starting caliber RB) seems more likely. I'm for it!

Brandon494
09-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Please Please trade his underacheiving ass.

Carolina_Packer
09-15-2010, 08:28 PM

I don't know how much it's underachievement vs. being the wrong fit for the 2nd year of the 3-4 defense. Can't fit a square peg in round hole. I think he's a much better fit in a 4-3. He's just not as athletic of a LB as you'd hope to have in the 3-4. I think the same thing is happening to Poppinga, although he's not a high 1st round pick.

Brandon494
09-15-2010, 08:30 PM

I don't know how much it's underachievement vs. being the wrong fit for the 2nd year of the 3-4 defense. Can't fit a square peg in round hole. I think he's a much better fit in a 4-3. He's just not as athletic of a LB as you'd hope to have in the 3-4. I think the same thing is happening to Poppinga, although he's not a high 1st round pick.

yes its underacheiving, stop making excuses for the guy. Just like most Ohio State players he was highly overrated. As far as Poppinga he was never any good, we just had no one better.

Joemailman
09-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Packers aren't going to play nickel every down all year. When they are in base defense, they have no one who plays Hawk's position as well as Hawk. He's not going anywhere this year.

bobblehead
09-15-2010, 08:49 PM

yes its underacheiving, stop making excuses for the guy. Just like most Ohio State players he was highly overrated. As far as Poppinga he was never any good, we just had no one better.

I think underachieving implies he isn't doing his all. I don't agree with that. I am a Hawk critic, but I'll NEVER question his effort and dedication. He simply isn't as good as Chillar.....no matter what Waldo thinks.

Lurker64
09-15-2010, 08:58 PM
How many players in the NFL aren't open to a trade at any given time?

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Packers aren't going to play nickel every down all year. When they are in base defense, they have no one who plays Hawk's position as well as Hawk. He's not going anywhere this year.

I agree completely with this. I think people underestimate the value of having good depth. Who really wants Bishop to see the field? Not me. Hawk will play a big roll on this team this season....Not a one week season people. I would think after watching Grant go down week one people would rather be deep than one injury away from having a bad player starting.

If TT trades for a back I hope its for a pick.

The Leaper
09-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Just like most Ohio State players he was highly overrated.

While you may be right about Hawk, this blanket statement makes you look rather dumb IMO. I think you could claim that Buckeye LBs are often highly overrated...can't say they have given the NFL much at LB since Spielman. However, to say most OSU players are overrated isn't accurate.

Brandon494
09-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Just like most Ohio State players he was highly overrated.

While you may be right about Hawk, this blanket statement makes you look rather dumb IMO. I think you could claim that Buckeye LBs are often highly overrated...can't say they have given the NFL much at LB since Spielman. However, to say most OSU players are overrated isn't accurate.

Makes me look dumb huh? What can you see me thru your computer screen?

Bobby Carpenter
Ted Ginn
Donte Whitner
Vernon Gholston
Michael Jenkins

All 1st rounders just off the top of my head.

Oh yea lets not forget the greastest punter of all-time.... BJ Sander or the greatest freshman RB ever in Maurice Clarett.

Sure they have players like Nick Mangold and Santonio Holmes but I didn't say all players from Ohio State, I said most.

Sorry if your a fan but I guarntee you guys will make it to yet another BCS championship only to get blown out by a SEC team.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Bobby Carpenter
Ted Ginn
Donte Whitner
Vernon Gholston
Michael Jenkins

What's wrong with Whitner? I haven't followed him closely, but I know he was solid his rooke season--after everybody panned him going so high.

Eddie George, Robert Smith, Chris Spielman, Keith Byars, Cris Carter, Joey Galloway, Orlando Pace, Mike Vrable, Nick Mangold, Chris Gamble, Ryan Pickett, Antoine Winfield, Will Smith, Malcolm Jenkins, Nate Clements, Terry Glenn, Shawn Springs, to name several, would beg to differ.

Brandon494
09-16-2010, 12:26 AM
I meant recently....

I mean I can name a bunch of great Tennesse NFL players but that doesnt mean they are producing players now.

As for Whitner he was drafted 8th overall. He has been solid but not the type of player you look for as a top 10 pick.

woodbuck27
09-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Read this LINK then ask yourself:

http://www.totalpackers.com/2010/06/25/a-j-hawk-same-old-song-and-dance/

Would any team be excited to trade for AJ Hawk? Look at his contract and underachieving status.

Do you really believe that 'the Bills' would deal Marshawn Lynch straight up for AJ Hawk? I believe that the Bills would want more than AJ Hawk straight up for Marshawn Lynch. That would mean adding a draft pick and we're talking TT making the deal Packer fans.

I'd trade AJ Hawk and a fourth round pick any day to get a RB (such as Marshawn Lynch) with ' the real potential ' to propel us to a Super Bowl. That would be too obvious a trade to make but would TT see it that way?

If he did I'd fall off my puter chair. :lol: That won't happen.

In terms of the future:

* How easy will it be for TT to dump AJ Hawk's future salary from our salary cap? Ohh wait. AJ Hawk will finally have that breakout year this season. It will have to be a really big one Packer fans.

* The Bills won't help TT do that.

Re: Bills RB Marshawn Lynch

Marshawn Lynch just needs a change of scenery. We would be darn fortunate to get this RB in a one for one deal for AJ Hawk. I'm not a dreamer.

Too many reasons that this deal won't happen so don't get too excited. I won't, as the Bills have needs more pressing than at LBer. Would TT trade a player that the Bills have need for within reason? Maybe the Bills might covet one of our TE's and accept AJ Hawk too. Hoping that he too needs a change of scenery for that break out year, AJ Hawk has been promising us.

NFL team GM's don't hope. :D

TT would dump AJ Hawk in a New York minute if he had the sense and wasn't so anal about his big draft picks. I wonder If TT has it in him to see AJ Hawk as he is/has performed in our present defensive scheme, and just let go of him with something very decent in return?

Will TT stop hoping that AJ Hawk will finally break out? Trade AJ Hawk?

GO PACK GO!

pbmax
09-16-2010, 01:12 AM
The Bills, according to Michael Silver, have turned away 4 other inquiries about Marshawn Lynch in the last couple of weeks (not from the Packers, but interested teams included Seahawks and Texans).

And is it just me or is Brandon Chillar living a charmed life? If he wasn't being seen as having outplayed Hawk for a starting position, wouldn't he be the worst starting linebacker on the team? Despite the preseason last year, he has been nothing special in pass rush and he can be had by TEs in coverage.

I don't see how they trade Hawk and play better in the base D. And I think I would like Chillar replaced as much as Hawk.

Lurker64
09-16-2010, 10:59 AM
The Packers have only 4 ILBs on their roster (Hawk, Chillar, Barnett, and Bishop). Of those four, there are only 3 who I'd feel comfortable playing significant snaps with (Bishop makes too many mistakes to be trusted). If you trade Hawk, you're really praying hard that neither Chillar nor Barnett gets dinged up since that would leave us really really thin at ILB.

In the offseason though? Look at restructuring Hawk's deal, dealing him, and replacing him. But it's not as though we're flush with interior linebacking talent.