PDA

View Full Version : Vikings preparing to offer high draft pick for Jackson

imscott72
09-16-2010, 02:48 AM
You know Favre loves this, especially after reading that report from Brandt on the Moss deal that fell through..

According to Lee Hamilton of XX Sports San Diego, FOX Sports' John Czarnecki reported on Hamilton's radio show Wednesday that the Vikings are poised to offer "a high draft pick" for Vincent Jackson.
The proposal is dependent upon an arbitrator ruling Thursday that Jackson will avoid the Roster Exempt list, making him eligible to play in Week 4. Czarnecki is a shaky reporter to being with, and this is coming secondhand, so take it with a grain of salt. Czarnecki did add that St. Louis is expected to "enter the mix" should V-Jax prevail in his case. Jackson makes quite a bit of sense in both locales. He'd have the most fantasy value in Minnesota. Sep. 15 - 11:12 pm et
Source: Lee Hamilton on Twitter

woodbuck27
09-16-2010, 03:05 AM
You know Favre loves this, especially after reading that report from Brandt on the Moss deal that fell through..

According to Lee Hamilton of XX Sports San Diego, FOX Sports' John Czarnecki reported on Hamilton's radio show Wednesday that the Vikings are poised to offer "a high draft pick" for Vincent Jackson.
The proposal is dependent upon an arbitrator ruling Thursday that Jackson will avoid the Roster Exempt list, making him eligible to play in Week 4. Czarnecki is a shaky reporter to being with, and this is coming secondhand, so take it with a grain of salt. Czarnecki did add that St. Louis is expected to "enter the mix" should V-Jax prevail in his case. Jackson makes quite a bit of sense in both locales. He'd have the most fantasy value in Minnesota. Sep. 15 - 11:12 pm et
Source: Lee Hamilton on Twitter

Well it's a fit, given the Vikings owners stance of late.

That . . . We - Must - Go - All - The - Way.

GO PACK GO!

Gunakor
09-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Awesome. Smells sorta like what the Bears did to get Cutler. Kinda.

Rebuilding mode starts in MN the moment Favre walks away for good. And they're going to deal high draft picks which SHOULD be used on a young core of talent to rebuild around on a talented hot head WR, not knowing if they'll ever have a decent QB to throw it to him after the season ends. I love it.

woodbuck27
09-16-2010, 03:20 AM

Rebuilding mode starts in MN the moment Favre walks away for good. And they're going to deal high draft picks which SHOULD be used on a young core of talent to rebuild around on a talented hot head WR, not knowing if they'll ever have a decent QB to throw it to him after the season ends. I love it.

Favre says this is his last season but 'really' is it his last season? If 'the Vikings set him up with players he really likes. Won't he try it 'just one more season' if things fall down this season?

That man loves football. Loves to compete. :D

GO PACKERS!

bobblehead
09-16-2010, 05:35 AM

Nah, next year they will dish their 2012 1st and 2nd along with the 2013 first to us for Matt Flynn.

run pMc
09-16-2010, 08:22 AM
This is the big year for the Vikes.

They'll have quite a few key UFA's to sign at the end of the year if they want to keep their team intact: Favre, Longwell, Tavaris Jackson, Sidney Rice, Chad Greenway, Ben Leber, Pat Williams

There's the StarCaps legal matter with the Williams duo

This is a team with a core that is aging. Pat Williams likely won't be back, and who knows what Favre will do. How long will Antoine Winfield hold up? E.J.Henderson's return to the field was remarkable, but can he stay healthy? Hutchinson and McKinnie can play, but they're overrated at this point and the backups aren't special.

I'd be surprised if they deal for Jackson with Rice coming back in a few weeks -- Vikes have a bye in like week 4 or 5 -- unless the offense continues to struggle or the asking price for Vincent Jackson is cheap. I think that's unlikely -- AJ Smith is stubborn and isn't going to give him away. I'm guessing he wants a R2.

Plus, Jackson's going to want a long-term deal. Are the Vikes going to be willing to pay Rice, Jackson, and then sign Peterson in 2012 for big money? How will they field a respectable Defense and O-Line? They'll still have to think about QB long-term as well.

How long would it take Jackson to get up to speed in the offense? Is he a good fit for a WCO styled offense?

Personally, if they do swing a deal it will surprise me. Too many long-term questions for a club that had a lot of things go their way last season. Giving up draft picks for Jackson would certainly show everyone the Vikes are going for broke, because after this year, they probably will be.

Lurker64
09-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Personally, I hope they way overpay. How awesome would it be if the Vikings trade away, say, a 1 and a 3 for Jackson, then proceed to lose in or miss the playoffs, and then Favre retires for good.

They'll approach the 2011 season with TJack and Joe Webb at QB plus whatever they can salvage off the free agent heap or from the lower tiers of QBs.

swede
09-16-2010, 10:56 AM
They have to pay Jared Allen and Steve Hutchinson and Favre and Adrian Peterson and they never seem to have cap issues. I hold out no hope that their traded draft picks and free agent signings will come back to bite them.

mngolf19
09-16-2010, 12:16 PM
They have to pay Jared Allen and Steve Hutchinson and Favre and Adrian Peterson and they never seem to have cap issues. I hold out no hope that their traded draft picks and free agent signings will come back to bite them.

Exactly, there will be no problem signing whomever they wish to keep. And this reporter is wrong. If he studied the Vikes org at all he'd know they would never trade a high draft pick for a guy that has Jackson's issues along with no extension. And I don't see them getting an extension with Jackson because of his issues. He would be a 1yr player and then let go. 10 games or less is not worth a high pick. I'd be shocked if they did that. (Jared Allen's issues were not the same and they extended him before any trade)

Now if they have some research and opinions that this guy is really a good guy and is issue free from here on out....nope still don't see it.

imscott72
09-16-2010, 12:46 PM
4 game suspension, so he's available to whoever in week 5. Let the games begin.. :D

imscott72
09-16-2010, 12:49 PM
And now Percy Harvin is missing practice with a hip injury. I just have the feeling the Vikes are going to go after V Jax hard. After all this is what Brett would want.. :lol:

Fritz
09-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Let's hope Childress and the top honchos of the Vikings are willing to bend over and take one for what they hope will be the good of the team.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Man though that would be some recieving group when Rice comes back. That would be near impossible to stop come playoff time. I hope this doesn't go through.

Tony Oday
09-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Rice will NOT be the same WR he was last year...