PDA

View Full Version : Ted Thompson Truths or Myths

Smidgeon
09-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Mostly because I read more and more about "That's just the way [TT] operates" as an excuse explanation, I thought it would be interesting to gather all those opinions in one thread.

I think it all starts because TT is a private person. So fans and journalists (and wannabe journalists) and bloggists and Bedard come up with a frame of reference that seems to fit and then follow that to the death regardless of whether or not it plays out in real life. For example, it used to be that TT would never trade up in the draft. Now he's done it three times and apparantly successfully. It also used to be that people didn't think he'd sign veterans (and I still hear that one a lot) despite him resigning/extending Tauscher, Clifton, Driver, and Woodson on the aged side of 30.

So add all the definitive statements about Thompson's modus operandi that you've heard out there, and we can debate endlessly (or until we get bored) on whether it's a truism or a myth.

Ones I've heard/read as recently as today (outside PR):
1) Thompson doesn't like veterans from other teams
2) Thompson doesn't like free agents
3) Thompson doesn't like retreads

bobblehead
09-16-2010, 02:04 PM
1) Most veteran FA signings from other teams flop

2) Most FA signings in general are not worth the price.

3) Most retreads are just that...guys that have proven they can't play in the NFL.

Any other questions?

Oh yea, and the most valuable veteran is the one who has proven that he can succeed in your system under your philosophy.

Bossman641
09-16-2010, 02:09 PM
It sorta ties into yours, but TT only likes "his" guys

Pugger
09-16-2010, 02:20 PM
TT won't cut a player he drafted or signed.

TT has a huge ego.

TT wants the Packers to be the youngest team in the league.

Lurker64
09-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Ted Thompson wants to trade down until he possesses every single pick in the sixth and seventh rounds!

vince
09-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Ted Thompson wants to trade down until he possesses every single pick in the sixth and seventh rounds!
I love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgtiEsmBPB4

Bossman641
09-16-2010, 04:49 PM
It's questions like this that make my blood boil...

[Comment From gene from chicagogene from chicago: ]
thanks for taking my question. Did Ted sign Dmitri Nance instead of a veteran back because he wanted to save money?

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100916/PKR01/309160013/Rob-Demovsky-chat-Questions-about-the-offense

Smidgeon
09-16-2010, 05:07 PM

thanks for taking my question. Did Ted sign Dmitri Nance instead of a veteran back because he wanted to save money?

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100916/PKR01/309160013/Rob-Demovsky-chat-Questions-about-the-offense

Yeah, that one got me too. And I also read a bunch on Packerchatters that made me roll my eyes badly.

What really gets me is that the JSO and GBPG reporters who are running the chats go right along with it as if it's established gospel.

DannoMac21
09-16-2010, 05:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUpLi1DBmh0&NR=1

hoosier
09-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Ted is a lousy GM because he won't give straight answers in his press conferences.

pbmax
09-16-2010, 07:01 PM
1. Ted is cheap.

2. Ted makes moves (or doesn't make moves) to establish that he is the smartest guy in the room.

#2 is my favorite. Its a real insight into how people simply suspend all reason to discuss pro football as a topic. They believe themselves so well informed by ESPN and their Fantasy League that if a roster move is made for a player they don't know, it is immediately judged as cynical.

It never occurs to them that someone who has had a lifetime of training and is (theoretically, at least) one of the 32 best at the job has more and better information than they do.

I am not saying any front office is above reproach, but to reduce the debate down to personal failings like ego really makes following the league with other fans difficult.

Joemailman
09-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Ted Is Trapped In The Closet.

cheesner
09-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Ted hates playmakers.

Ted ran Butt Favre out of town (or him out to pasture)

TT is afraid

Funniest thing was someone criticizing TT for using HIS draft board making him an egomaniac. Poster was upset he wasn't using the fan's draft suggestions.

mraynrand
09-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Ted killed James T. Kirk

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/malcolm_mcdowell_cannes_460.jpg

Guiness
09-16-2010, 08:46 PM
I love this song.

:wow: :jig:

That's great! I've never heard it before. Love the line "Roger came out and said 'well not today' the Pack has traded their pick away"

btw - is his pronounciation of Kipper correct? With a long 'i'? I always thought it rhymed with skipper.

Lurker64
09-16-2010, 09:11 PM
I love this song.

:wow: :jig:

That's great! I've never heard it before. Love the line "Roger came out and said 'well not today' the Pack has traded their pick away"

btw - is his pronounciation of Kipper correct? With a long 'i'? I always thought it rhymed with skipper.

The pronunciation in the song is correct. However, your misconception is understandable. His name is actually spelled "Kiper" rather than "Kipper". With two 'p's it would certainly rhyme with skipper.

This is just silly. At this point, the only thing Ted can do immediately to fill the roster spot vacated by Grant is sign a veteran street FA or sign somebody who is on a practice squad. The veteran street FA would command the vet minimum and so wouldn't be appreciably more expensive than a guy from somebody else's PS. Choosing the PS guy simply means that you value more the potential contribution of a young and hungry player eager to prove himself in the NFL, than in the potential contribution of an old and busted veteran who is on the downside of his career. At some positions (e.g. Quarterback) this would probably be an error, but at running back it is almost certainly not. Young guys without a ton of hype regularly make contributions at running back for NFL teams. Who ever heard of Arian Foster two years ago? He got passed on 256 times in the 2009 draft, and yet he still managed to run for 200+ the other day.

woodbuck27
09-17-2010, 12:44 PM
These are some of the things I've observed bantered around since TT came to us:

This is my YOU ASKED FOR IT SPOT. Please don't take it seriously, Packer fans. The list is composed of things that I read and I'm just a fan and don't really know. Also as a Canadian we use alot of parody style humor. If this bothers you. I'm sorry.... I'm just Canadian.

So I caution you before you decide to read this and as we say up here.

Handle it! :D

1) TT is almost invisable as a GM. He was especially so early in his career as a new or untried Green Bay Packer GM. Now I understand he's been spotted a few times at Applebee's and even Brett Favre's Steak House. Who says he's not cool.

2) TT doesn't like to deal with a players agent. What 'a a Bus and a cook doing together anyway?

3) TT won't make a move unless he's positive it will reflect positively on his image as an NFL GM of repute. He has to understand that to hold onto it only leads to hemorroids. Someone told me just lately that 'Preperation H' is going through the roof in price. Does Ted pay out his own salary? if so then he's very needy.Well only if he's really as that myth goes..cheap?

4) TT hates to trade a future Rd. one to four draft pick. Ohh No that's a lie. He'll trade down and trade those down again, over and over again and again, as he loves to socialize in the war room and the food is free.

5) TT is cheap in terms of bringing in possible talent. Better the unknown man that can learn the system 'in time' Vs the veteran that's soon up and ready to fit the Packer system. Unless 'of course' that talent comes at the veterans minimum.

Baloney ... Seldom is a veteren willing to come to Green Bay. WE lost the likes of Brett Favre and long before him Reggie White ... ' the Minister of Defense'. Long live his esteemed fame. REAL MEN that attract the best veteran players. What's left to fill their role. Who will the prospective Vet's hang with? Donald Driver and Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher all have small houses and too many pets.

6) TT hates to give much away (ie info. or thoughts) in tight situations where he may be judged as a GM that takes an all too careful approach to managing an NFL team.

7) TT likes to have 'his man (men)' or a player or coach ' that's all on his side '.

8) TT is or acts uncomfortable or shy and stumblingt/reticent in the eye of a media camera. He doesn't reflect or exhibit confidence nor arrogance. So TT is 'an ice man. Isn't that cool?

9) TT seldom gives much away in terms of his plans and future goals for his team. He manages quietly and so it's difficult to determine exactly what he's thinking or feeing. He just keeps every other GM on his feet trying to act and be just like we know TT. TT's 'the best' I read that all the time here at Packerrats.

10) TT seems to have little time to socialize or for the opposite sex. Has anyone told him of the convenience of using the internet and that possible dating experience? Maybe TT really loves his mother? I hope he can somehow find relief as that will help him think effectively and not be so anal. Don't you enjoy a daily massage?

11) TT has high blood pressure. Why? That's exhibited by a red face / tight throat, google or bubble eyed appearance. If so I hope that your esteemed President gets that Health Care Program past Congress. Excuse me if I error's there. It's been so long since I studied your American Political System.

12) TT sleeps in his office too often. Maybe he's simply addicted to the internet or can't afford his electrical bill or hates to cook at home so he orders out to the office.

13) TT only wears grey pants and a belt and white unbuttoned at the collar shirts. I assume he also wears boxer shorts. Maybe... He needs a new stylist. but ... I'm not a fussy dresser either. I like TT, dress for comfort and to reflect my cool demeanour.

Well there are so many myth's about our esteemed GM. He's ' just a guy ' to me. I just want him to come unfrozen. To be out and about with a happy disposition and confident demeanor. I'm sure his Mother/ Aunts advise 'the same'.

Long LIVE OUR ESTEEMED GM ...The ** honorable Ted Thompson.

** I'm just short of honoring him with a 'Right' honorable title...but I'm sure we'll see Ted Thompson ' reaching ' for his best.

The final words from me on TT ... He's too cool. 8-) Lovely.

GO PACK GO!

ALL ...THE ...WAY...WITH...Ted Thompson ... as OUR GM. He's LOVELY. :D

mraynrand
09-17-2010, 02:09 PM
10) TT seems to have little time to socialize or for the opposite sex. Has anyone told him of the convenience of using the internet andn that possible dating experience. Maybe TT really loves his mother? I hope he can somewhow find relief as that will help him think effectively and not be so anal.

11) TT is gay.

:D

"Jim he's on the edge of a nervous breakdown, if not insanity!"

Cheesehead Craig
09-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Unbelieveable.

woodbuck27
09-17-2010, 10:27 PM
10) TT seems to have little time to socialize or for the opposite sex. Has anyone told him of the convenience of using the internet andn that possible dating experience. Maybe TT really loves his mother? I hope he can somewhow find relief as that will help him think effectively and not be so anal.

11) TT is gay.

I'm a Canadian and I don't understand why you have an issue with this (these) statements in my original post on this thread, mraynrand. :D

What are you mapping out now man! I'm sane. Maybe I can be a tad crazy at times or misunderstood at times. :lol:

" I hope he can somewhow find relief as that will help him think effectively and not be so anal. " mraynrand ... [quote="woodbuck27"]

Dear Lord. You have an issue with that statement, mraynrand ?

You might need to spend some time in my country or at least try to understand me ' as a Canadian ' or the person that I am?

Given the stuff you place on our threads mraynrand. I'm surprized that what I posted would get a rise from you. I always believed you we're pretty cool man.

For all at PackerRats and mraynrand :

Here's a reference to MY COUNTRY's (Canada's) Charter of Rights and Freedoms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Charter_of_Rights_and_Freedoms

Maybe in that good long read you may understand my way or positions with more tolerance and less shock. In terms of that other possible issue you felt a need to raise, mraynrand.

I often say: " Life is too short for anal."

anal = being too uptight ' in my world ' folks.

That is a fact given MY COUNTRY's (Canada's) Charter of Rights and Freedoms: I have full confidence in that position mraynrand and all members of Packerrats.

Have a GREAT WEEKEND mraynrand and all Packer Fans at PackerRats ! and 'of course... GO PACKERS!

Tarlam!
09-18-2010, 05:18 AM
I love this song.

That's a great one, Vince. Thanks for sharing.

Fritz
09-18-2010, 08:54 AM
1. Ted is cheap.

2. Ted makes moves (or doesn't make moves) to establish that he is the smartest guy in the room.

#2 is my favorite. Its a real insight into how people simply suspend all reason to discuss pro football as a topic. They believe themselves so well informed by ESPN and their Fantasy League that if a roster move is made for a player they don't know, it is immediately judged as cynical.

It never occurs to them that someone who has had a lifetime of training and is (theoretically, at least) one of the 32 best at the job has more and better information than they do.

I am not saying any front office is above reproach, but to reduce the debate down to personal failings like ego really makes following the league with other fans difficult.

This is it, exactly. When fans write in to chats and ask why Thompson obviously doesn't care about special teams because he hasn't gone out and traded a 4th or 3rd round pick for an ace return guy (as if GM's across the league are dangling them out there to be had), it's clear that there is no thinking going on in those fans' heads.

MM: "So Ted we need a punt and kick returner. What can you do?"

TT: "Ah, I don't care about special teams. Fuck it. Use someone we already have."

MM: "What about a running back? Can't you get me a big-name guy who our fans have all heard of? Maybe you could give up a third rounder and Donald Lee for Marshawn Lynch, even though Buffalo doesn't want to trade him. Why are you waiting to see if Brandon Jackson can carry the load? I want a big name!"

TT: "Come on, Mike, we've been over this. I prefer no-name, less talented guys. They're cheaper and if they work out once in a while, it makes me look good."

Iron Mike
09-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Isn't the Polar Bear #51 there??

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsupdate/archives/1979HoustonOilers.JPG

Scott Campbell
09-18-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm one of the most sane people you'll ever know ....................

And I'm one of the least sarcastic people you'll ever meet.

woodbuck27
09-18-2010, 10:13 AM

And I'm one of the least sarcastic people you'll ever meet.

Baloney Scott. I'm sane and 'as a Maritimer and Irish Canadian' by nature sometimes sarcastic.

It's been my observation since I met you on the Packer forums Scott Campbell. That your simply put or by nature. Sarcastic. :D

That's OK Scott, if it works for your needs for what's best for you.

Big win expected tomorrow man. It will be interesting to see if our running game can play a significant or not role in the games outcome? Will MMuse AJ Hawk? That if the case will be a telll RE: recent trade rumors and his name coming up. I refer specificaly to rumors out of the Buffalo Bills fan site.

I will be very surprized if the Bills acquire AJ Hawk. It doesn't seem at all logical for them to consider AJ Hawk considring all that we know of him. Why take on TTs problems RE: AJ Hawk. Some will say what poblems.

People are so interesting at times to me. :D

mraynrand
09-18-2010, 06:01 PM

11) TT is gay.

I'm a Canadian and I don't understand why you have an issue with this (these) statements in my original post on this thread, mraynrand. :D

What are you mapping out now man! I'm sane. Maybe I can be a tad crazy at times or misunderstood at times. :lol:

" I hope he can somewhow find relief as that will help him think effectively and not be so anal. " mraynrand ...

Dear Lord. You have an issue with that statement, mraynrand ?

You might need to spend some time in my country or at least try to understand me ' as a Canadian ' or the person that I am?

Given the stuff you place on our threads mraynrand. I'm surprized that what I posted would get a rise from you. I always believed you we're pretty cool man.

For all at PackerRats and mraynrand :

Here's a reference to MY COUNTRY's (Canada's) Charter of Rights and Freedoms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Charter_of_Rights_and_Freedoms

Maybe in that good long read you may understand my way or positions with more tolerance and less shock. In terms of that other possible issue you felt a need to raise, mraynrand.

I often say: " Life is too short for anal."

anal = being too uptight ' in my world ' folks.

That is a fact given MY COUNTRY's (Canada's) Charter of Rights and Freedoms: I have full confidence in that position mraynrand and all members of Packerrats.

Have a GREAT WEEKEND mraynrand and all Packer Fans at PackerRats ! and 'of course... GO PACKERS!

I was goofing around. relax.

mission
09-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Life is too short for anal.

there's gotta be a joke somewhere for this :jig:

HowardRoark
09-18-2010, 06:19 PM
I have full confidence in that position mraynrand and all members of Packerrats.

mission
09-18-2010, 06:21 PM

I have full confidence in that position

:?:

MJZiggy
09-18-2010, 06:45 PM

Not if you're on the receiving end... :mrgreen:

wist43
09-18-2010, 07:07 PM

http://www.tolon.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/heres-johnny.jpg

I see where you're goin with this... I'm with ya Wood, I'm with ya!!!! :twisted:

hoosier
09-18-2010, 07:21 PM

Not if you're on the receiving end... :mrgreen:

No no, I got it: "It's not the length, it's the width."

pbmax
09-19-2010, 09:44 AM

I see where you're goin with this... I'm with ya Wood, I'm with ya!!!! :twisted:
So you are going to let him out of the freezer/pantry?

retailguy
09-19-2010, 04:51 PM

:shock: