View Full Version : OTS: Packers & Bills Talking Deal For Marshawn Lynch

Brandon494
09-16-2010, 02:25 PM
http://joeslockerroom.com/On_The_Sidelines.html

OTS: Packers & Bills Talking Deal For Marshawn Lynch
(Joe Arrigo)

RUMOR:

n.

A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
Unverified information received from another; hearsay.

On Wednesday afternoon I received word that the Packers and Bills were in trade discussions that included Bills running back Marshawn Lynch, Donald and/or Pat Lee and a swap of draft picks. Also, A.J. Hawk has asked for a trade and has but his house up for sale.

First the Lynch rumor. I have learned the Packers and Bills have been in discussions that had the Packers sending Donald and/or Pat Lee along with a 4th round pick (that could move up to a second rounder based on performance) to Buffalo for Lynch and a 7th round pick (that could move to a 6th based on performance). The sticking point at 5:30 pm (pst) was Lynch wanting a new deal (or years added on) to his contract while the Packers (GM Ted Thompson) wanted to wait to address his contract situation until after the season.

If a deal were to be completed I was told the Packers would cut new practice squad running back James Johnson based on his attitude and the Packers plan on cutting (and resigning to the practice squad) Dimitri Nance after a couple weeks and then sign him to a futures contract. I was also told that they may keep Nance and when rookie James Starks is eligible to come off the P.U.P. list, place him on I.R. to shelf him for the year and ensure they keep him on the roster.

As of 9pm (pst) I received an e-mail from a source who said that the Bills now want OLB Brad Jones and Pat Lee for Lynch and a late round conditional pick and that the deal was "dead at the moment, but the two teams agreed to talk again Thursday." The Bills say that Lynch is not on the market, but I was told that he is indeed on the market and that the Bills are playing "hard ball with the Packers". I was also told that "a couple Packers called Lynch and he wants to be a Packer".

Keep in mind that when he was coming out of the NFL draft Lynch visited Green Bay and loved it and wanted the Packers to draft him. He loved the city, tradition and coaches and facilities. Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy and the Packers coaching and scouting staff also liked Lynch and were set to draft him if he slipped to them. As we all know the Bills selected him at #12 overall and the Packers took Justin Harrell at pick 16.

If the Packers and Bills do make a deal, the soonest either team would make it is Tuesday, September 21st since they play each other this Sunday and the have to wait until all the weeks games have been completed.

A.J. Hawk, as I tweeted earlier today, has requested a trade, but was not going to make it public or push the issue. Hawk feels that he is underutilized in Green Bay and wants a chance to be a 3 down linebacker. As I also reported (Tweeted) Hawk put his house on the market. If one was to read the "tea leaves" they may say that Hawk for Lynch not only makes the most sense but would also make each team better. As of now, none of my sources say that Hawk is in any deal for Lynch.

While Hawk has not been the impact player deserving of the #5 overall pick in a draft, he is a steady, assignment ready player that is built to be a 4-3 "Mike" backer or a 3-4 Inside Backer (the same position Nick Barnett plays). With Brandon Chillar signing a new deal and the Packers staff wanting to give Desmond Bishop a legit chance as the other "inside backer" it may be time they deal Hawk, who is due $10 million dollars in 2011.

ANOTHER PACKERS RUMOR:

I was told that the Packers did call Dallas and inquire about running back Marion Barber but Dallas was ( a ) asking to much for Barber and ( b ) leery of dealing Barber to Green Bay since he knows their whole playbook, line calls and audibles and the two teams play each other later in the year.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Joe Arrigo. Enough said.

ThunderDan
09-16-2010, 03:01 PM
So Brad Jones, Pat Lee and a high draft pick for Lynch.

That won't happen.

We have poor depth at OLB and at CB until Al gets back. I don't know if the difference between Lynch and BJack is greater than the drop off between BJones and Poppinga. I don't want to have Poppinga starting at OLB and playing a maojrity of the snaps in our D.

If the Packers make a trade you would think a TE or a WR would be a better pool to trade from.

Guiness
09-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Pat Lee? Interesting to see his name involved, not sure why he would show up on anyone's radar.

I can't see Brad Jones being traded - I would guess TT/MM would be much less willing to let him go then Hawk.

pbmax
09-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Joe Arrigo. Enough said.
If he is in on the goof, I kind of admire his work as a performance piece. No matter how many dumb things he puts on the internet, people still pick it up. Kind of like Mike Wise, only Arrigo has no career to self-immolate.

If he is straightforward, then his friends should intervene.

Lurker64
09-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Has Arrigo ever actually been *right* on anything?

red
09-16-2010, 04:09 PM
of shit, here comes this asshole

some of us came here to get away from him and others with "inside" info

Freak Out
09-16-2010, 04:34 PM

To hell with that.

Lurker64
09-16-2010, 04:35 PM

To hell with that.

Yeah, I would even hesitate to give them Brad Jones and Pat Lee for Lynch and a high pick. We need Jones too much this year to deal him.

Bossman641
09-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Brad Jones?? Not a chance.

On the other hand, Pat Lee and a pick? Interesting. Lee is currently the 5th CB. The dropoff to Bush is not that huge, especially with Harris coming back in a few weeks.

DannoMac21
09-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Has Arrigo ever actually been *right* on anything?

He took a huge swing a hit a HR back when we were interested in Woodson and LaVar Arrington. He reported that a Woodson deal was done, next day the deal was reported as done.

Ever since then he's had a mindset that he's Adam Schefter, and thinks he's an ESPN insider. I used to get all giddy when I read this dude's shit...now it's nothing to me. In fact, I'm now banking that the Packers don't get Lynch simply because Arrigo is reporting this. Thanks Arrigo, you son of a bitch.

Brandon494
09-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Did you guys even read the article? we aren't trading Brad Jones. He said the talks dead when the Bills wanted him in the deal.

sharpe1027
09-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Where does all this information come from? Conveniently, there is no way to ever verify it it.

I heard from an inside source that the Packers offer their next 10 years worth of 7th round picks for Brett Favre and the Vikings turned it down, but only because they didn't want to lose their Jersey sales.

3irty1
09-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Wouldn't shock me if Pat Lee was indeed a request due to ties with Bills outside linebackers coach Bob Sanders. Pat Lee was drafted as a perfect scheme fit for "vanilla" Bob's defense and has amounted to very little due to injuries and the departure of Sanders. Sanders ties could also make sense for AJ Hawk who had two very solid years in his scheme--plus Sanders is the coach at Hawks likely position.

CaptainKickass
09-16-2010, 05:50 PM
oh shit, here comes this asshole

Thanks Arrigo, you son of a bitch.

I think Pat Lee got mixed up in the rumor simply because his name is Lee and we have another Lee - Donald Lee. Ever played that rumor game called "telephone"? If you're paying any attention at all to this whole trade rumor stuff - then YES you have.

It could have easily been Bruce Lee and AJ Hawk for Lynch and a second round pick.

I hereby give up on paying attention to this until something actually happens...officially.

bobblehead
09-16-2010, 06:45 PM
anyone catch the bit about Lynch wanting a new deal?? So, this guy was a 12th overall pick....got a damn good contract. Lost his starting gig. And now wants a new deal? WTF!!

retailguy
09-16-2010, 06:48 PM
anyone catch the bit about Lynch wanting a new deal?? So, this guy was a 12th overall pick....got a damn good contract. Lost his starting gig. And now wants a new deal? WTF!!

There's a real message there, and it tells me enough to know that I don't want him. His ego is still much too big for a 1st round flop who's a 3rd string RB on the worst team in the NFL...

Think about that. :roll:

gbgary
09-16-2010, 07:01 PM

that's just his agent talking i bet (if true at all).

cheesner
09-21-2010, 02:01 PM
RUMOR:

n.

A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
Unverified information received from another; hearsay.
MADE UP SHIT:

n.

Packer information that is invented and that some dumb asses on the internet actually believe and repeat as if there was any merit or shred of credibility.

mission
09-21-2010, 03:51 PM

he got all his money up front. he makes like 850k this year and 1.1mil next. can't blame a RB from trying to get paid. they dont have very many years.

cheesner
09-21-2010, 04:45 PM

he got all his money up front. he makes like 850k this year and 1.1mil next. can't blame a RB from trying to get paid. they dont have very many years.

Yes, I can blame him. As you state, he got his money, now he must live up to his end of the agreement. When you buy a car, the bank doesn't threaten to take it back a month after you put 20% down because, 'its worth more than your monthly payment'. Al Haynesworth got $42M in the first 2 years of his contract. His base salary is now pretty small. Should he hold out now because he should be making about $10M per year but is probably getting less than half? Should he ignore the $42M from the last 14 months?

mission
09-21-2010, 05:08 PM

Yes, I can blame him. As you state, he got his money, now he must live up to his end of the agreement. When you buy a car, the bank doesn't threaten to take it back a month after you put 20% down because, 'its worth more than your monthly payment'. Al Haynesworth got $42M in the first 2 years of his contract. His base salary is now pretty small. Should he hold out now because he should be making about $10M per year but is probably getting less than half? Should he ignore the $42M from the last 14 months?

I get all that, Haynesworth situation aside because it's pretty much apples and oranges here.

Reality is different in the NFL. These guys sign slotted rookie contracts and pretty much already have their contracts predetermined. That's why I couldn't understand why so many people were talking about Revis the same way "OMG HONOR YOUR CONTRACT, YOU SIGNED IT". He didn't have a choice. You get what you get and then either outplay or underplay the contract. Sometimes teams take losses on guys that play under their deals -- do they pay the team back? No... again, that's just the reality of this business.

As a business-minded, entrepreneurial kind of guy, I've never had a problem with someone trying to make more money than they currently are. When it really affects the team, when a guy is holding out, then it's a problem. But if Lynch's wishes are to redo his contract then I really don't understand why that's an issue. He wouldn't want 9 mil a year, but probably closer to 2-4 and that's likely reasonable for his talent level (assuming health). Maybe he gets a contract, maybe he doesn't ... that's not the point. Him *wanting* a new contract is fine. It's how he reacts to possibly not getting one that ultimately matters.