PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stat about RBs

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2010, 08:32 PM
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100916/PKR01/100916113/Vandermause-column-Is-a-great-runner-needed-to-win-the-Super-Bowl-

In the pass-happy National Football League, teams don’t need a Pro Bowl running back to advance to the Super Bowl anymore. They don’t even need a 1,000-yard rusher. Five of the last six Super Bowl qualifiers over the past three years didn’t have a runner that gained even 900 yards.

Even if some of that can be attributed to the job-sharing trend among backs, the fact is the Super Bowl hasn’t featured any great runners in recent years.

Reigning champion New Orleans primarily used Pierre Thomas (793 regular-season yards) and Mike Bell (654 yards, 3.8 average), while Super Bowl loser Indianapolis trotted out Joseph Addai (828, 3.8) and Donald Brown (281, 3.6). The year before, the champion Pittsburgh Steelers featured Willie Parker (791, 3.8) and Mewelde Moore (588) against NFC champion Arizona with Edgerrin James (514, 3.9) and Tim Hightower (399, 2.8).

In 2007 New England advanced to the Super Bowl with a 16-0 record using ordinary backs Laurence Maroney (835 yards) and Sammy Morris (384).

What those five recent Super Bowl qualifiers had in common were superior quarterbacks — Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Kurt Warner and Tom Brady — and average ground games that produced anywhere from 20 to 34 percent of the total offensive yards for the season.

drayge
09-16-2010, 09:57 PM
I think team stats are more important here. Oddly though, the last two years the runners-up (Indy & Arizona) have had the worst team rushing. I don't know if that means it is not an indicator, or if the rushing is part of why they lost the big game.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2010, 10:17 PM
I think team stats are more important here. Oddly though, the last two years the runners-up (Indy & Arizona) have had the worst team rushing. I don't know if that means it is not an indicator, or if the rushing is part of why they lost the big game.

Oftentimes, teams that win will have more rushing yards simply because they have the lead. I always see the stats "[High percentage] of teams that run for more yards wins," but then when you think about it, it's a no brainer. Of course, they do. They probably had the lead and started running the ball.

steve823
09-16-2010, 11:22 PM
This league is all about passing now...which is great for us. Even if you had a running game it wouldn't give you that much of an advantage in the Super Bowl because the league is stupid and only has them in warm places.

I mean c'mon...how great would it to see a snowy Superbowl? I don't care even if it was in Soldier Field that's how much I want it haha.

Freak Out
09-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Defense and a strong run game wins championships baby. I seem to remember NO running the ball down Indys throat to win it last year (Thomas?).

Tony Oday
09-17-2010, 01:28 AM
You still need a running game to halp slow down the pass rush.

Tarlam!
09-17-2010, 05:24 AM
I mean c'mon...how great would it to see a snowy Superbowl? I don't care even if it was in Soldier Field that's how much I want it haha.

I feel exactly the same way. I hope it snows like mad in NY when the NFL finally has a cold weather venue. That's football for me! That's how to crown a champion!

Little Whiskey
09-17-2010, 06:41 AM
good find Harv. the NFL has slanted all the rules to help the pass offense. the defense has to lay off both the WR and the QB. they can barely rush the passer anymore.

on a side note, that's where Vick causes problems. when he crosses the line of scrimmage he is still considered a qb even though he had over 100 yrds rushing last week. the defense still has to let up incase he decides to slide feet first. Unlike a true running back, that will never slide feet first.

mraynrand
09-17-2010, 07:23 AM
I don't know how you can look at this any other way. The passing game (the QB) is being protected. I guess you can't blame the NFL: there's nothing worse than watching a game with second rate QBs who can't complete a pass, so you have to make sure you don't lose the decent QBs to injury. But it's bizarre when you see a defensive lineman grab a QB below the knees, tackle him and then get a 15 yard penalty. I suppose the running game will become a bigger force in the NFL again when you aren't allowed to tackle the RB (that would have saved Ryan Grant!).

I guess you need a decent but not great running game to keep the defenses honest and to grind it out once in a while (control the clock).

Little Whiskey
09-17-2010, 08:36 AM
I suppose the running game will become a bigger force in the NFL again when you aren't allowed to tackle the RB (that would have saved Ryan Grant!).

any position would be safe if you aren't allowed to tackle them.....maybe convert the league to flag football! :lol: :lol:

mmmdk
09-17-2010, 09:04 AM

I feel exactly the same way. I hope it snows like mad in NY when the NFL finally has a cold weather venue. That's football for me! That's how to crown a champion!

That would be special :tup:

pbmax
09-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Defense and a strong run game wins championships baby. I seem to remember NO running the ball down Indys throat to win it last year (Thomas?).
But was it because of a strong running game? Or was it because NO had a lead and the Colts struggle defending the run?

You need first downs to win the game.

Little Whiskey
09-17-2010, 09:27 AM

I would argue that you need point to win games.

ThunderDan
09-17-2010, 09:30 AM

I would argue that you need more points than the opponent! :lol:

Little Whiskey
09-17-2010, 09:31 AM

damn you got me! i knew i should have read my post again!

Bossman641
09-17-2010, 10:03 AM

John Madden, is that you?

3irty1
09-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Another interesting stat about RB's: They have 3,600 locations in the US and Canada.

http://www.stupidcents.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/arbyslogo.jpg

mraynrand
09-17-2010, 10:18 AM

It's 30-40 here at the USTA Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, NY!

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/05/29/amd_summerall_now.jpg

mraynrand
09-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Another interesting stat about RB's: They have 3,600 locations in the US and Canada.

http://www.stupidcents.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/arbyslogo.jpg

:rs:
good one!

Freak Out
09-17-2010, 11:17 AM
But was it because of a strong running game? Or was it because NO had a lead and the Colts struggle defending the run?

That's what I said. :lol:

woodbuck27
09-17-2010, 11:26 AM

YES!

channtheman
09-17-2010, 11:59 AM

http://www.manofest.com/Content/the-dumbest-john-madden-quotes-of-all-time.html :lol:

Fritz
09-17-2010, 12:33 PM

YES!

But do you know yet whether you can get that from Brandon Jackson?

I don't think we know yet.

When is the trade deadline, anyway?

Little Whiskey
09-17-2010, 12:38 PM

YES!

But do you know yet whether you can get that from Brandon Jackson?

I don't think we know yet.

When is the trade deadline, anyway?

week 6

pbmax
09-17-2010, 11:15 PM

Of course. But there are few NFL teams in history who score enough points on 80 yards plays after a kickoff or on a short field.

The offense has to move the ball. Whether by run or pass, it must be able to keep possession. Running can help with clock management with a lead or late in the game, but as McCarthy demonstrated with his 5 minute offense, sometimes just running it is not enough. Even Tuesday Morning QB's Easterbrook would have to acknowledge that.