PDA

View Full Version : Lynch Rumor talk heats up (for what its worth)

sheepshead
09-17-2010, 10:48 AM
According to Allen Wilson of the Buffalo News, trade rumors about Lynch that ran rampant in the offseason resurfaced again this week with reports of teams having interest, including the Green Bay Packers, who host the Bills on Sunday.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers reportedly lobbied the organization to make the trade for Lynch, who played with Rodgers at the University of California. Rodgers told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel on Wednesday he'd love to have Lynch on the team, which lost leading rusher Ryan Grant to a season-ending ankle injury Sunday.

Lynch is downplaying the rumors, but it was no secret that he was unhappy about losing his starting job to Fred Jackson. Lynch rtequested a trade after the Bills drafted running back C.J. Spiller in the first round of this year's draft. Lynch's absence from most of the offseason practices was seen as a sign of protest.

The Bills have repeatedly denied any interest in trading Lynch despite their surplus at running back. Several teams, including the Packers, are dealing with injuries at the position.

Lynch said his sole focus is getting ready to play the Packers, not joining them. As for the trade talk, he isn't going to worry about something that's out of his control.

"If it's going to happen, it's going to happen," he said. "I mean, what will I be able to do about it? If they say you've got to go, what am I going to do, tell them no? If they say I'm going to stay, I'm here. If they say I'm not going anywhere, then come on, let's continue to build on this thing and let's get better."

gbgary
09-17-2010, 11:28 AM
fingers crossed

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure if they are heating up. This is just the Buffalo News speculation on the trade rumors out there. Nothing of substance that we didn't already know.

Smidgeon
09-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Rodgers "lobbied"? You mean, a reporter asked him how he'd react if the Packers brought a former teammate on board? How is that "lobbying"?

Pure speculative drivel.

Bossman641
09-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Rodgers "lobbied"? You mean, a reporter asked him how he'd react if the Packers brought a former teammate on board? How is that "lobbying"?

Pure speculative drivel.

I was just about to post the same thing.

imscott72
09-17-2010, 11:49 AM
It's hard to say what's going on. If there are several teams inquiring about him, you know TT isn't going to get into a bidding war. My guess is this isn't going to happen, but with how close to the vest the Packers like to keep these things, it's hard to say.

sheepshead
09-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Hey my disclaimer is up there, I even copied the headline from another site. yeah, its the same news appearing in different places.

I'd like to see TT pull the trigger with a conditional draft choice(s) based on 2010-11 production. Hell the damn Bills arent going any where.

gbgary
09-17-2010, 12:09 PM

Pure speculative drivel.

+3

Sparkey
09-17-2010, 12:12 PM
I truly believe there have been discussions. If they amount to anything is anyone's guess at this point.

For the right price, Lynch would be a good addition to the team. I don't think anyone expects him to be an all-pro. But to lose a player like Grant so early in the season and not think Thompson is checking into all possibilities to help restore some talent and depth in the backfield, would be foolish.

I personally think it would be a nice addition, IF we do not give up too much. A conditional 5th rounder that could turn into a 2nd thru 4th would be good.

Unlike some here, moving Donald Lee would be a mistake, in my opinion. Lee may not be flashy, but he makes few mistakes and is a true professional in how he carries himself on and off the field.

Smidgeon
09-17-2010, 12:16 PM
I truly believe there have been discussions. If they amount to anything is anyone's guess at this point.

For the right price, Lynch would be a good addition to the team. I don't think anyone expects him to be an all-pro. But to lose a player like Grant so early in the season and not think Thompson is checking into all possibilities to help restore some talent and depth in the backfield, would be foolish.

I personally think it would be a nice addition, IF we do not give up too much. A conditional 5th rounder that could turn into a 2nd thru 4th would be good.

Unlike some here, moving Donald Lee would be a mistake, in my opinion. Lee may not be flashy, but he makes few mistakes and is a true professional in how he carries himself on and off the field.

Unless he drops passes...

retailguy
09-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Well said Sparkey.

That's why I think this trade ultimately doesn't happen. I just don't see the Packers being willing to part with either player.

I wonder why they can't get together on Spitz, though? Buffalos OL is terrible, Spitz could probably start at any interior position, and we really don't need him. Wait, I forgot Seattle? picked up EDS? Somebody did, so there is limited depth there to backfill...

I can see Ted pulling the trigger for a low draft choice, but ONLY if he sees Lynch on the team after this season. Right now, I don't think that's the case.

Others have posted that Lynch is better than Jackson, and if Ted agrees, that could be a reason for the trade. But I'm not so sure that Ted does agree. I know I don't. I'm no Brandon Jackson fan, but I don't see enough difference between the two to pull the trigger and give up a draft choice.

RashanGary
09-17-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm not sure if they are heating up. This is just the Buffalo News speculation on the trade rumors out there. Nothing of substance that we didn't already know.

The bright side of the internet era is that we have so much information at our disposal. For many years, news media has been our window to the changing world. We grew to appreciate and respect the people who brought it to us and the respect was easy, as we wouldn't really know if they were wrong.

Now, information is out there, much of the time in very raw from. Just pure information. Then there is information within a story and then there is just speculation and story.

Now, it's much easier to not respect or appreciate what the media is doing because we can see through it as being inaccurate.

Some people, the creator of the post I'm responding to, for example, can cipher through the different types of media, respect some of it and realize other other pieces and writers do not deserve our respect.

Can't say for certain if there is any truth to any of this, but what Harvey said rings pretty true. Media talk does not mean actual talk from those who matter. Maybe there has been a discussion, but whether it's heating up or not or if it even happened or not is questionable considering where it's all come from.

Fritz
09-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Information, but unfortunately, also speculation that masquerades as information.

sheepshead
09-17-2010, 01:19 PM

The bright side of the internet era is that we have so much information at our disposal. For many years, news media has been our window to the changing world. We grew to appreciate and respect the people who brought it to us and the respect was easy, as we wouldn't really know if they were wrong.

Now, information is out there, much of the time in very raw from. Just pure information. Then there is information within a story and then there is just speculation and story.

Now, it's much easier to not respect or appreciate what the media is doing because we can see through it as being inaccurate.

Some people, the creator of the post I'm responding to, for example, can cipher through the different types of media, respect some of it and realize other other pieces and writers do not deserve our respect.

Can't say for certain if there is any truth to any of this, but what Harvey said rings pretty true. Media talk does not mean actual talk from those who matter. Maybe there has been a discussion, but whether it's heating up or not or if it even happened or not is questionable considering where it's all come from.

Jesus man lighten the fuck up. Did anyone here sign up for a lecture?

The Leaper
09-17-2010, 06:05 PM
I seriously doubt Thompson has even picked up the phone to talk to Buffalo yet. For one, he's committed to his guys and probably wants to give Jackson a fair chance to shine this week against the Bills. Also, with the 2 teams playing this week there is zero chance of anything happening before the matchup.

Has Thompson considered this as an option after this weekend? There is no doubt in my mind. He is a disciple of Ron Wolf, who took a lot of stock in his evaluation of players before the draft and wasn't afraid to go after someone he liked but didn't have a chance to select in the draft. Thompson also places a premium on draft time evaluation. If he was as high on Lynch as most reports make it out to be, then you better believe he is strongly considering getting Lynch.

At this point, I'd say the chances of Lynch ending up in GB are better than 50-50...and will go up significantly if Jackson doesn't shine this week against a weak Bills squad.

Patler
09-17-2010, 06:44 PM
I wonder why they can't get together on Spitz, though? Buffalos OL is terrible, Spitz could probably start at any interior position, and we really don't need him. Wait, I forgot Seattle? picked up EDS? Somebody did, so there is limited depth there to backfill...

Yup EDS is in Seattle. Spitz is what there is for backup at center. He won't be going anywhere this year, I doubt

Patler
09-17-2010, 06:51 PM
I seriously doubt Thompson has even picked up the phone to talk to Buffalo yet. For one, he's committed to his guys and probably wants to give Jackson a fair chance to shine this week against the Bills. Also, with the 2 teams playing this week there is zero chance of anything happening before the matchup.

Has Thompson considered this as an option after this weekend? There is no doubt in my mind. He is a disciple of Ron Wolf, who took a lot of stock in his evaluation of players before the draft and wasn't afraid to go after someone he liked but didn't have a chance to select in the draft. Thompson also places a premium on draft time evaluation. If he was as high on Lynch as most reports make it out to be, then you better believe he is strongly considering getting Lynch.

At this point, I'd say the chances of Lynch ending up in GB are better than 50-50...and will go up significantly if Jackson doesn't shine this week against a weak Bills squad.

I don't know, I could see them having a preliminary deal discussed, with an understanding it won't happen until after Sunday. I would have expected TT to have contacted every GM with a formerly productive RB who isn't seeing significant playing time and isn't over the hill. There have been reports that he did talk to Dallas, for example. Why wouldn't he have talked to Buffalo?

LEWCWA
09-17-2010, 07:08 PM

Jesus man lighten the fuck up. Did anyone here sign up for a lecture?

This might be one of the best posts this year!

mission
09-17-2010, 07:20 PM

I think this is going to be the key. Ted likes to think "we're fine there" and if 32 can go out and look like a 1st teamer, I can't see him parting with anything except Hawk (if that). Not that I'd put a ton of stock in any performance against the Bills, but TT might...

Even if, the contracts are pretty lopsided with these guys and I can see that being an impediment to a deal getting done. The Bills gotta like that they have him tied up for under a mil a year; that's pretty cheap insurance.

bobblehead
09-17-2010, 09:13 PM

Pure speculative drivel.

Me three

bobblehead
09-17-2010, 09:14 PM

Pure speculative drivel.

+3

Oops...I meant me four

Joemailman
09-17-2010, 09:29 PM
On the other hand, I'm a little surprised Arod answered the question without mentioning he has confidence in Brandon Jackson and John Kuhn. Just an oversight I'm sure, but he usually chooses his words more carefully than that.

pbmax
09-17-2010, 11:08 PM
This logic of this story isn't even circular anymore. Its spirographic.

http://stusshed.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/spirograph_screenshot3-122183017.jpg

DonHutson
09-18-2010, 01:59 PM
While Andre Rison was a waiver pick up rather than a trade, the rest of the scenario is pretty similar. Talented guy with character issues... season ending injury at a key position... Super Bowl aspirations...

I don't think there's much down side to making a deal. I'd prefer Ted give up a pick over a player, but whatever.

That said, and I may be one of the few (if not only), but I'm kind of excited to see what Jackson can do. I truly believe he's more physically gifted than Grant (better hands, better blocker, probably faster, probably more elusive). His biggest issues have been some ill-timed injuries and he seems to be a slow learner. If he's got things figured out, he could be a real surprise.

While I'm not convinced they NEED Lynch right now to step in and start over Jackson, I really think they could use the depth that Lynch would provide and the insurance in case Jackson can't do it.

MichiganPackerFan
09-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Pure speculative drivel.

I am getting really tired of reporters trying to exaggerate a non-story into a story. Green Bay has suffered enough through the past several years of the ESPN drama machine relating to our former QB and I just don't need it anymore. Either report facts and call yourself a reporter or write fiction and call yourself an author.

Patler
09-20-2010, 01:00 PM

Pure speculative drivel.

I am getting really tired of reporters trying to exaggerate a non-story into a story. Green Bay has suffered enough through the past several years of the ESPN drama machine relating to our former QB and I just don't need it anymore. Either report facts and call yourself a reporter or write fiction and call yourself an author.

Agreed. It is especially ridiculous if you read the original source:

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers was asked Wednesday what he would say to the Packers if they asked for his opinion....

(redacted)

Rodgers said the Packers have not asked him about Lynch,

In other words, Rodgers has said absolutely nothing to the Packers about Lynch.