PDA

View Full Version : This week’s worry – Packer Special Teams

pittstang5
09-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Specifically punt and kick return units. They looked ok against the Eagles, but I watched a couple Eagle preseason games and they (Eagles) looked worse on special teams than the Packers. Sure, it was preseason and you can argue that all day long, but I’m not sold on the Packers special teams being good…yet.

I think this week against the Bills will be a better test as to how good or bad the Packers special team coverage units are. The Bills have two very good returners in C.J Spiller and Parrish.

- Thoughts?

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2010, 01:56 PM
It will be a concern all year.

Tony Oday
09-17-2010, 02:01 PM
CMIII actually killing a QB...thats my only worry ;)

mission
09-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I don't have a single worry when it comes to this game.

Cheesehead Craig
09-17-2010, 02:34 PM
My worry this week is how the bees are getting in my house.

Joemailman
09-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Specifically punt and kick return units. They looked ok against the Eagles, but I watched a couple Eagle preseason games and they (Eagles) looked worse on special teams than the Packers. Sure, it was preseason and you can argue that all day long, but I’m not sold on the Packers special teams being good…yet.

I think this week against the Bills will be a better test as to how good or bad the Packers special team coverage units are. The Bills have two very good returners in C.J Spiller and Parrish.

- Thoughts?

My thoughts are that neither of the Buffalo return men are any better than DeSean Jackson. Masthay's punts had good hang time until the last one. On the last one, Korey Hall made a great tackle. One of the most overlooked plays of the game.

gbgary
09-17-2010, 06:20 PM

this!

well...and key players getting hurt...but that's every game.

Packman_26
09-17-2010, 10:30 PM

this!

Green Bay Packers 38 at Indianapolis Colts 41
Sunday, November 16, 1997
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199711160clt.htm

Packers coming off the Super Bowl win and playing a winless team. I was 12 that year and ever since I worry about EVERY game.

pbmax
09-17-2010, 10:46 PM

this!

Packers coming off the Super Bowl win and playing a winless team. I was 12 that year and ever since I worry about EVERY game.
This message board has a standing agreement to never bring up the name Paul Justin. Ever.

channtheman
09-18-2010, 01:01 AM

this!

Or how quickly we can forget about just last year losing to the 0-8 Bucs. I won't say that I am "worried" but I definitely don't see any game as "in the bag" or an "easy win." Though in many of the predict the scores threads I usually just predict blowouts in the Packers favor.

Tarlam!
09-18-2010, 02:35 AM
Ya, the Bucs game from last season has my feet squarely planted on the ground. This is a game of inches..... On any given Sunday..... enter football wisdom here........ Take your pick. Aaron and the Gang need to win the game. The Bills aren't coming to Green Bay to lose.

Fritz
09-18-2010, 08:55 AM
We worry like a bunch of Jewish mothers. Me included.

Tony Oday
09-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Actually my one worry is do we have ANY defensive linemen?

mraynrand
09-18-2010, 02:08 PM

this!

This message board has a standing agreement to never bring up the name Paul Justin. Ever.

:?:

pbmax
09-18-2010, 02:12 PM

this!

It was a joke, but the factual part was the post-Super Bowl Packer defense made the Colt's Paul Justin (backup at the time) look like Peyton Manning for an entire game. The only explanation is that Marvin Harrison builds good quarterbacks.

Marvin Harrison is also well armed. So I hope he is not traveling in the midwest after reading this.

mraynrand
09-18-2010, 02:25 PM

this!

It was a joke, but the factual part was the post-Super Bowl Packer defense made the Colt's Paul Justin (backup at the time) look like Peyton Manning for an entire game. The only explanation is that Marvin Harrison builds good quarterbacks.

Marvin Harrison is also well armed. So I hope he is not traveling in the midwest after reading this.

I was just 'commenting' on the self-contradictory nature of your edict not to bring up the name of 'He who must not be named.'

I was at that fateful game in Indy, in which Gilbert Brown was deliberately injured by COLT defensive linemen who (unseen on the telly) proceeded to 'high-five' each other after cut blocking the poor guy (Tampa had done it early in the season, and Gilbert was a continual target for these disgusting cheap shot efforts - racll that he was cut blocked and knocked out of the ATL playoff game after two or three snaps due to the same kind of cheap shot).

Anywho, if you look up in the upper deck, there I am with my Count On Losing This Sunday poster, simmering in the Irony of it all (and getting into a fight with an overweight, asshat Colt fan. My last words to the guy: "Don't stand out in the cold too long in that line waiting for your playoff tickets." I'm guessing he died of an MI before the Superbowl victory).

pbmax
09-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Actually, now that I re-read it, you are right: I did blow that joke. I wanted to poke fun at never talking about that game, but then I got distracted by my inability to remember the QB who took them apart. Stupid Google easy of use.

Actually, the hits on Gilbert remind me of something that troubles me about the NFL. They take aggressive and often overly complicated steps to address issues that make the news. Overtime, QB hits, concussions, etc.

But on issues that are less visible and less understood (inline blocking) they still allow a wide array of dangerous moves and blocks. Paul Zimmerman used to bemoan the fact that the NFL still allowed cut blocking inside the tackles. He kept asking why they simply did not outlaw blocking below the knees and never got an answer. I do not think its a coincidence that a plurality of older players with severe physical difficulties are interior lineman, not QBs or defenseless WRs. Though the list of those affected in not exclusive of those positions.

/off soap box

I too am worried the Packers will play down to the level of the Bills. Just like the Badgers are now playing down to the level of San Jose St. while they are actually playing the Arizona State Sun Devils.