PDA

View Full Version : Bulaga

denverYooper
09-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Will Bulaga be starting by the end of the year?

At the postgame presser McCarthy said "Clifton didn't look good today. Didn't look like himself"

Clifton has had some knee issues this week that apparently affected his game today. Bulaga came in and played well. Might we see the rookie phased in sooner than expected?

Or is he just going to be playing when Clifton's knee acts up?

MJZiggy
09-19-2010, 03:23 PM
I think it was designed that Bulaga would take over. Just depends on how gradually the shift takes place.

Lurker64
09-19-2010, 03:45 PM
I think he might be our LT next week.

Cheesehead Craig
09-19-2010, 03:47 PM

Agreed. At worst I think he rotates some with Clifton.

Travbrew
09-19-2010, 03:49 PM

I didn't think Cliffy look very good today. This could be permanent.

MJZiggy
09-19-2010, 03:51 PM

I don't think one bad game means permanent. I think one bad game means we see more of Bulaga next week.

Travbrew
09-19-2010, 03:55 PM

I don't think one bad game means permanent. I think one bad game means we see more of Bulaga next week.

Yarp! Maybe transition period, ys?

rbaloha1
09-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Played well. Physically dominated opponent creating running and passing lanes. Stud!

MJZiggy
09-19-2010, 04:04 PM

Of course transition period. Cliffy's old as dirt for a lineman and has injury issues. But isn't it nice to have a youngin to take over when the time comes?

Travbrew
09-19-2010, 04:10 PM

Of course transition period. Cliffy's old as dirt for a lineman and has injury issues. But isn't it nice to have a youngin to take over when the time comes?

Ya, sure, you betcha! (insert my mother-in-laws perfect WI accent here!) :lol:

pbmax
09-19-2010, 04:13 PM
No. But I am encouraged with the way he pass blocked today. I think he definitely should stay at LT.

Travbrew
09-19-2010, 04:19 PM
No. But I am encouraged with the way he pass blocked today. I think he definitely should stay at LT.

Yes. Very good in pass pro. Not sure if the run gane (or lack thereof) had anythign to do with B or it was BJack's desire to show how hell he can "cut a rug". :P

retailguy
09-19-2010, 04:52 PM
The guard is beginning to change... Bulaga played well. I'd think they'll platoon for a while. It'll be nice to have a smart veteran for the better pass rushers...

bobblehead
09-19-2010, 06:13 PM

OL generally play into old age the best. To be honest if he were healthy, Cliffy could play to 36 or 37 years old.

The Leaper
09-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Thing is...Clifton ISN'T healthy, and really hasn't been for awhile. He's barely getting by, and he can't make it through a 16 game schedule anymore. There is no doubt in my mind that Bulaga will be starting by the end of the season. Clifton will hardly be able to stand up by December.

Travbrew
09-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Thing is...Clifton ISN'T healthy, and really hasn't been for awhile. He's barely getting by, and he can't make it through a 16 game schedule anymore. There is no doubt in my mind that Bulaga will be starting by the end of the season. Clifton will hardly be able to stand up by December.
:( :(
All good things must come to an end.

The Leaper
09-19-2010, 06:30 PM

He had a hell of a career in Green Bay...next stop, Packer HOF.

RashanGary
09-19-2010, 06:51 PM
I would classify Clifton's situation as being similar to Favre's. Favre has little to no cartilage left in his ankle. Clifton is probably looking at something similar with his knee.

It's going to get worse only to get worse. Every time he uses it, it's going to hurt.

I'd say the best way to use Clifton this year is as a backup. He can keep himself as strong as possible without overusing the knee and if he's needed, he can just grind it out (literally).

Hopefully Bulaga can step in, stay healthy and play well. I don't see Clifton getting better but I do think he could grind this out. It's just some bone on bone friction. He's not going to keel over, but it's going to hurt.

Pugger
09-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Lord, did we get lucky to have Bulaga still sitting there in NY on draft day! Thanks Ted! :)

Cheesehead Craig
09-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Lord, did we get lucky to have Bulaga still sitting there in NY on draft day! Thanks Ted! :)
So far the pick is looking to be a good one. Granted we have a very small sample size but given we didn't hear his name being called as being beaten for a sack, that's a good start.

mraynrand
09-19-2010, 07:12 PM

You have to do it proper, like your wearing it mockingly on a jersey!

THANKSTED

pbmax
09-19-2010, 07:18 PM
I would classify Clifton's situation as being similar to Favre's. Favre has little to no cartilage left in his ankle. Clifton is probably looking at something similar with his knee.

It's going to get worse only to get worse. Every time he uses it, it's going to hurt.

I'd say the best way to use Clifton this year is as a backup. He can keep himself as strong as possible without overusing the knee and if he's needed, he can just grind it out (literally).

Hopefully Bulaga can step in, stay healthy and play well. I don't see Clifton getting better but I do think he could grind this out. It's just some bone on bone friction. He's not going to keel over, but it's going to hurt.
I think Favre's problem has been bone chips and spurs. Often these are caused by ligaments pulling away from the bone, as in a severe sprain. Andrews said he expected another to form after he removed one during the offseason surgery (according to Brett). Slightly different that cartilage being frayed or removed. Though its possible he has had that work done too.

Pugger
09-19-2010, 07:22 PM

You have to do it proper, like your wearing it mockingly on a jersey!

THANKSTED

:lol: :lol:

mraynrand
09-19-2010, 08:27 PM
It's starting to look like 'Ole Kenny Ruettgers in late '95. Man that guy gutted it out, but was only able to go one game in '96. At some point the knee just says 'no more.'

From a Cleft Crusty exclusive interview with Chad Clifton's knee:

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Cliftonsknee.jpg

imscott72
09-19-2010, 09:50 PM

Yea I feel bad for Cliffy. He's been so steady for us for so long, but it's time to slowly make the change. It happens to everyone eventually.

packerbacker1234
09-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Clifton did have a poor game and Bulaga played well, but lets not jump the gun here.

Clifton has A LOT of experience, and as we face teams that are significantly better than the bills (guys, the bills suck, if you couldn't tell) on defense, bulaga will most likely have growing pains. You thought Jared Allen had a field day last year? Imagine how badly he could abuse a rookie. I liked what I saw, but until he gets a chance against a real defensive line, I wont go off and say he should be in there.

Clifton's knee bothered him, but it didn't in week one. He will be alright, I think the packers are just comfortable, depending on the situation, to stick bulaga in. That doesn't mean he starts. Rotation? Maybe, but if the game is on the line and we need one last drive, my money is clifton gets the call.

Freak Out
09-19-2010, 10:20 PM

Trial by fire....MNF at Soldier Field. The Bear D can still bring it.

Guiness
09-19-2010, 10:52 PM

But why did Cliffy not look good? I didn't think he practiced much this week. You have to wonder if he's able to go at all any more. If MM/OL coach don't feel he can play an entire game, I bet they make the switch sooner rather than later. You don't platoon at LT.

Crabtree, if he's as good a blocker as they say, may start seeing more of the field if they feel they need to have him in there to help Bulaga out as he grows into the role. Certainly when Jared is in town.

NewsBruin
09-19-2010, 11:17 PM
What was Bulaga's injury at the end of training camp?

Joemailman
09-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Bulaga had a hip flexor injury.

mraynrand
09-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Quick scan watching only the LT revealed:

Clifton was OK is pass pro - maybe a pressure or two; on occasion Rodger's pocket was reduced, making him move a bit early. In the run game, Clifton had zero push. He didn't allow his guy to disrupt things, but he never opened a hole.

Bulaga was solid. No pressures whatsoever. He moved and turned his man in the run game about 50%. Missed a couple of blocks on runs. Two penalties. Looked like a veteran.

I'm not impressed with the DEs for the Bills. Peppers, Allen, and Ray Edwards all present far tougher challenges. Problem is with MN, you can't double team four DLs, and you can't chip on every down. Bulaga will have to be on an island from time to time. Still, I think he can do it.

MichiganPackerFan
09-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Huge fan of Clifton's and I refuse to bet against him. I don't think he's injury prone like a lot of people have started to claim. A lot of people didn't think he'd recover from that cheap shot hip injury in Tampa he sustained either. Bulaga will have his day, but I'm going to enjoy Clifton and Tauscher until they hang 'em up.

Guiness
09-20-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't think anyone is saying Clifton is injury prone MPF. He's got a lot of miles and has a lot of aches and pains that never go away anymore. I think he's at the point where those aches and pains now add up enough to affect his play, or even keep him out of games. In my other post I expressed doubts that they'll even go away enough for him to start much more. When a (relatively) healthy vet is pulled because he's ineffective, the end is near.

mraynrand's analysis is interesting, and I'd be curious to know if others agree. His description of Clifton's play was hardly damning. If accurate, I'd be curious to know why he was pulled.

denverYooper
09-20-2010, 02:21 PM
I think Cliffy will start when healthy also. I feel comfortable with having Bulaga come in any time to relieve him, though. It could come down to the style of pass rush coming across from the LT. Cliffy's having a harder time against speed so I would not be surprised to see Bulaga more if that's what's coming.

We're in a better spot with LT than last year. That is for sure. Crafty vet + capable rook. It's a good problem to have.

MichiganPackerFan
09-20-2010, 02:36 PM
I don't think anyone is saying Clifton is injury prone MPF. ...

Clarification: i don't think anyone HERE has said he is injury prone, but a lot of national (and some JSO ones too I believe) have called him exactly that.