PDA

View Full Version : What makes the Packers tough to beat?

RashanGary
09-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Well, to start with, we'll list the playmakers. . . .

Aaron Rodgers
Charles Woodson
Clay Matthews
Jermichael Finley
Greg Jennings
Donald Driver
Nick Collins

The other thing, this year, that I think is making us very tough to beat is our well rounded steadiness. Our penalties are down, ST's up. We have rough stretches in games, but we haven't had games rough enough to lose. We're bouncing back.

When this team is clicking, I think they have SB-type talent. When they're not clicking, there is a new maturity and steadiness this year that could be the difference between last years wild card and this years hopeful playoff bye.

Last year, the Packers showed signs of greatness. This year they look ready to capitalize because they're playing smart and steady even when things aren't going perfectly. This team has a championship vibe.

packers11
09-20-2010, 06:05 PM
The D-line... I think they are the most underrated group by all the fans... Jenkin / Raji / and Pickett are total monsters out there... Raji has really come a longgggg way from last year...

RashanGary
09-20-2010, 06:08 PM
The D-line... I think they are the most underrated group by all the fans... Jenkin / Raji / and Pickett are total monsters out there... Raji has really come a longgggg way from last year...

Yes he has. Raji has been making it really hard to step up into the pocket. Matthews is a monster, but that group is playing very well. Neal coming back is going to be a big boost to the depth.

MJZiggy
09-20-2010, 06:08 PM
I think it's the fact that we keep winning our games, but that's just me.

Joemailman
09-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Packers force teams to choose their poison when trying to defend against the Packer passing game. If you double team Finley, Driver or Jennings will beat single coverage. If you don't, yesterday showed what can happen.

Defensively, no team has a pair of ballhawks like Woodson and Collins. Burnett is a budding Darren Sharper. Oh, and Clay Matthews is pretty good.

gbgary
09-20-2010, 06:32 PM
i think you can add crosby and nelson to the list. They've come through on special teams.

vince
09-20-2010, 06:45 PM
The fact that the offense hasn't really gotten their groove on yet says a lot.

The pass rush has been outstanding - best in the league I'd guess. If they keep that up, they should be able to continue to hide their inexperienced backfield. The fact that Shields has really only been exposed on one play is telling. I'm surprised that teams haven't been able to expose his inexperience more yet, but that speaks volumes about the job that the defensive coaching staff has done schematically to create pressure and provide help when needed.

retailguy
09-20-2010, 06:49 PM
What makes the Packers tough to beat?

The GM.

Definitely the GM.

Lurker64
09-20-2010, 07:01 PM
We regularly score more points than the other team. In situations where we don't, we often score a lot of points anyway.

Brando19
09-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Barnett's mouthguard for sure. How do you post pics on here from other websites? I could post it, but I'm not sure how.

Fritz
09-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Clay Matthews's hair.

Brandon494
09-20-2010, 08:13 PM
chemistry

Fred's Slacks
09-20-2010, 08:39 PM
chemistry

Well said and I think this is easy to overlook.

Only 1 guy on the 53 and 2 guys on the PS were not here the entire offseason. The guys we have know they are valued and can trust that management is going to be honest with them and favor them over someone else's retreads. Yet there is enough competition that everyone knows that they can loose their job at a moments notice as well. The vets set a great example of how to go about their business and the front office has shown with the recent extensions for DD and Wood that if you play well, you will be rewarded.

Gotta love the atmosphere at 1265.

Pugger
09-20-2010, 08:43 PM
The fact that the offense hasn't really gotten their groove on yet says a lot.

The pass rush has been outstanding - best in the league I'd guess. If they keep that up, they should be able to continue to hide their inexperienced backfield. The fact that Shields has really only been exposed on one play is telling. I'm surprised that teams haven't been able to expose his inexperience more yet, but that speaks volumes about the job that the defensive coaching staff has done schematically to create pressure and provide help when needed.

You beat me to the punch, Vince. Not until the second half yesterday did Rodgers play like what we are accustomed to seeing. If he can start out like that on Monday night that will help us win that game.

The Leaper
09-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Discipline...the offense is very careful with the ball and limits turnovers, and when you have as many explosive playmakers as we have that just makes it harder when you don't help the other team. Defensively, we don't give up many big plays. We force the opposing offense to have to put together an 8 or 10 play drive to score.

gbgary
09-20-2010, 09:08 PM
chemistryGood call. The only one i worry about, and it's just a tad, is fin. He made some sort of noise about being used only as a decoy after the first game. I know he has an ego...i just hope he can reel it in a bit and put team first...even if things take a turn for the worse. Tell me i'm just being paranoid.

ND72
09-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Honestly, I think the defense is harder to figure out than the offense. I hope you all have noticed that even though Matthews is our LOLB, he has been coming on blitz's from multiple areas. I really liked that the Pack took advantage of the Bills watching Matthews, and used him as a "lead" guy on a blitz, then curled Hawk or Barnett around, many times Hawk especially was in the grill of the QB's face on throws.

A couple things on Matthews I really didn't see from him last year that I'm seeing this year. #1, SPEED. I knew he was quick, but he shows up like a lightning bolt on plays this year. #2, POWER. He used a lot of his quickness & agility last year, but in both games so far this year, I have seen a ton of Matthews using his power to gain leverage.

Besides Matthews, many of you have touched on this, BJ Raji is worth every scent we are paying him and more. He's tough against the run, and he is a very good pass rush from a nose position. He gets a good push on almost every play. Buddy of mine said it best, "McCarthy is all about technique, and Raji hosts the clinic on technique."

Our pass rush has been insane, and I hope it continues. The better that is up front, the less we have to worry about teams picking on Burnett or Shields.

I would love to go on and on for defense, but I need to talk about offense....The amazing thing about GB, we could go out in just a straight Pro-I set, and still force teams to have to choose what they're focused on. Jennings, Driver, and Finley are tough, but Jackson & Kuhn are very good out of the backfield as well so you have to respect that. If we decide to spread the field and go Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, and Finley....holy shit! On Madden, that is 5 wide no huddle let this shit rip for Rodgers! And, lastly...Bulaga looked pretty damn good sunday. I know he wasn't playing Allen from Minny or Peppers from Chicago...but he looked really good, as have Colledge, Wells, and Sitton.

Jimx29
09-20-2010, 11:36 PM
We regularly score more points than the other team. In situations where we don't, we often score a lot of points anyway.Thank you John Madden

pbmax
09-20-2010, 11:41 PM
What makes the Packers tough to beat?

The GM.

Definitely the GM.
You forgot the team's pad level.

pbmax
09-20-2010, 11:52 PM
I would love to go on and on for defense, but I need to talk about offense....The amazing thing about GB, we could go out in just a straight Pro-I set, and still force teams to have to choose what they're focused on. Jennings, Driver, and Finley are tough, but Jackson & Kuhn are very good out of the backfield as well so you have to respect that....
I wonder if McCarthy will run more passes to the backs out of a 2 RB formation. He has two backs (Jackson and apparently Q Johnson) who can catch out of the backfield. Johnson has not done it enough to be reliable, but it looks like he might be if given a chance. He had a good catch and run versus the Bills.

Its been so long since I have seen it, I wonder if D coordinators figured out that flooded zone problem years ago. Holmgren used to screen instead of it. McCarthy has never had the pass catching backs except 1 1/2 years of Ahman Green, then Jackson.

Pugger
09-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Will Neal be back for the bare game on Monday?

Gunakor
09-21-2010, 03:47 AM
chemistry

Absolutely.

steve823
09-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Honestly, I think the defense is harder to figure out than the offense. I hope you all have noticed that even though Matthews is our LOLB, he has been coming on blitz's from multiple areas. I really liked that the Pack took advantage of the Bills watching Matthews, and used him as a "lead" guy on a blitz, then curled Hawk or Barnett around, many times Hawk especially was in the grill of the QB's face on throws.

A couple things on Matthews I really didn't see from him last year that I'm seeing this year. #1, SPEED. I knew he was quick, but he shows up like a lightning bolt on plays this year. #2, POWER. He used a lot of his quickness & agility last year, but in both games so far this year, I have seen a ton of Matthews using his power to gain leverage.

Besides Matthews, many of you have touched on this, BJ Raji is worth every scent we are paying him and more. He's tough against the run, and he is a very good pass rush from a nose position. He gets a good push on almost every play. Buddy of mine said it best, "McCarthy is all about technique, and Raji hosts the clinic on technique."

Our pass rush has been insane, and I hope it continues. The better that is up front, the less we have to worry about teams picking on Burnett or Shields.

I would love to go on and on for defense, but I need to talk about offense....The amazing thing about GB, we could go out in just a straight Pro-I set, and still force teams to have to choose what they're focused on. Jennings, Driver, and Finley are tough, but Jackson & Kuhn are very good out of the backfield as well so you have to respect that. If we decide to spread the field and go Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, and Finley....holy shit! On Madden, that is 5 wide no huddle let this shit rip for Rodgers! And, lastly...Bulaga looked pretty damn good sunday. I know he wasn't playing Allen from Minny or Peppers from Chicago...but he looked really good, as have Colledge, Wells, and Sitton.

Hopefully Bulaga will start again, since I DO NOT want a injured Clifton going against Peppers. Also, it will be a good test for Bulaga to go against Peppers, it'll help us see where he is at in terms of being ready to start for us.

Joemailman
09-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Will Neal be back for the bare game on Monday?

Won't know for a couple of days, but I'd say the chances are pretty good. Sounded like he was pretty close to making it back last week.

hoosier
09-21-2010, 12:16 PM
I think it's the fact that we keep winning our games, but that's just me.

In the spirit of this answer, I would say: being the Bills.

mngolf19
09-21-2010, 12:28 PM
I'd say the Packers are solid across all 3 areas, something that hasn't been true in recent years. And they have some stars on both sides of the ball. Those factors make them tough to beat every week.

Tony Oday
09-21-2010, 12:31 PM
The fans. Without us they would suck. I mean all the advice we give them during the game. Example: "DONT FUMBLE THE PUNT!!!" "RUN FASTER!!!!" "Damn it why didnt you catch the ball?" "F*CK AR HE WAS OPEN!!!"

Without all those and many more tidbits we would just be the Raiders

mmmdk
09-21-2010, 12:40 PM
The love & knowledge of football in all of Wisconsin; the history and professionalism of Packers org. The down to earth, yet, determined demeanor that surrounds the Packers & the fans. The fact that there are just fewer jackasses around tells a bunch. Don't ever screw this up! :D

hoosier
09-21-2010, 02:11 PM
I'd say the Packers are solid across all 3 areas, something that hasn't been true in recent years. And they have some stars on both sides of the ball. Those factors make them tough to beat every week.

Homer.