PDA

View Full Version : Efforts to find a replacement for Grant

Patler
09-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Read some dead tree versions of newspapers the last couple days, so I don't have links to provide, but some of the tidbits I found were:

TT has tried to get Lynch from Buffalo since before the draft this year, and has been in contact with them repeatedly since. Buffalo has not been willing to even discuss it and won't even accept offers. Inside sources confirmed that Lynch was the top guy on TT's draft board when Buffalo took him, and TT would have drafted him if he had been available.

Sources from several NFL teams have confirmed that Buffalo is completely unwilling to discuss trades for Lynch. Won't even consider it right now. Several teams have tried, and can make no headway at all.

The Packers expected Lumpkin to pass through waivers because of his injury history. They were surprised when four teams put in claims for him this year.

Dimitri Nance was at or near the top of the list as the best back available to be signed in an emergency for numerous teams. Many feel Nance could become a legitimate player. Just not real fast, and perhaps not the quickest learner, so might never be trusted in pass protection, but is real good on initial reads, balance, quickness and power in the running game. There is a concern about fumbles.

Some think Starks could be one of the real steals in this years draft and might give the running game a boost when he becomes available.

No one has much good to say about the veteran FA backs. The general consensus seems to be they are over the hill.

There are actually quite a few teams looking for RBs and there just are not many available that would be clear upgrades and worth even a 3rd or 4th pick. As a player, some personnel guys said Lynch is worth a 3rd, but since he has been suspended already and could be looking at a much longer suspension if he screws up again, most wouldn't give more than a 4th for him.

pbmax
09-21-2010, 08:02 AM
I have not seen the Packers listed as one of the teams interested in Lynch elsewhere. Do you remember which paper you saw it in?

Patler
09-21-2010, 08:09 AM
I have not seen the Packers listed as one of the teams interested in Lynch elsewhere. Do you remember which paper you saw it in?

I think it was the Milwaukee Journal, but not sure. I read a whole bunch of state newspaper sports sections, so it could have been one of the Madison papers.

Sparkey
09-21-2010, 08:26 AM

I think it was the Milwaukee Journal, but not sure. I read a whole bunch of state newspaper sports sections, so it could have been one of the Madison papers.

Be careful what you believe when you're looking at the Urinal.

Patler
09-21-2010, 08:28 AM

Come to think of it, I also read some articles from the Buffalo newspaper on line over the weekend, so I might have picked it up there.

Joemailman
09-21-2010, 08:34 AM

Come to think of it, I also read some articles from the Buffalo newspaper on line over the weekend, so I might have picked it up there.

The problem is that news travels so fast now due to that darn internet. The Buffalo newspapers may have been relaying "information" they got from JSO.

Patler
09-21-2010, 08:45 AM

The problem is that news travels so fast now due to that darn internet. The Buffalo newspapers may have been relaying "information" they got from JSO.

..or vice versa. Or, maybe they both picked it up from Packerrats! :lol:

red
09-21-2010, 09:05 AM
i'm thinking that our future at running back is starks (if he can stay healthy), and nance (if he can hold onto the ball)

i'd be a little shocked if the bills weren't trying to trade lynch to someone. he's a waste in buffalo, jackson and spiller are the future there.

swede
09-21-2010, 12:00 PM

I'm waiting for the day an article in the sports section of USA Today begins: "Joe Arrigo, a reputable online source, has been monitoring the situation and is now reporting that..."

mraynrand
09-21-2010, 12:43 PM

I'm waiting for the day an article in the sports section of USA Today begins: "Joe Arrigo, a reputable online source, has been monitoring the situation and is now reporting that..."

I'm waiting for the day they say "According to Patler at Packerrats..." (Or Cleft Crusty - that would be a hoot). Of course they would need to be able to find the website....

mmmdk
09-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Wolf Heard of PewterReport.com expects RBs Kregg Lumpkin and LeGarrette Blount to be more involved in the offense after the team's Week 4 bye.

Packers kept Kregg Lumpkin around for some seasons and now it bites our ass! I thought Lumpkin looked good in preseason vs the Kansas City scrubs. But maybe this is no biggie as we snatched Nancy...eh that Nance from Atlanta.

retailguy
09-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Read some dead tree versions of newspapers the last couple days, so I don't have links to provide, but some of the tidbits I found were:

TT has tried to get Lynch from Buffalo since before the draft this year, and has been in contact with them repeatedly since. Buffalo has not been willing to even discuss it and won't even accept offers. Inside sources confirmed that Lynch was the top guy on TT's draft board when Buffalo took him, and TT would have drafted him if he had been available.

Sources from several NFL teams have confirmed that Buffalo is completely unwilling to discuss trades for Lynch. Won't even consider it right now. Several teams have tried, and can make no headway at all.

The Packers expected Lumpkin to pass through waivers because of his injury history. They were surprised when four teams put in claims for him this year.

Dimitri Nance was at or near the top of the list as the best back available to be signed in an emergency for numerous teams. Many feel Nance could become a legitimate player. Just not real fast, and perhaps not the quickest learner, so might never be trusted in pass protection, but is real good on initial reads, balance, quickness and power in the running game. There is a concern about fumbles.

Some think Starks could be one of the real steals in this years draft and might give the running game a boost when he becomes available.

No one has much good to say about the veteran FA backs. The general consensus seems to be they are over the hill.

There are actually quite a few teams looking for RBs and there just are not many available that would be clear upgrades and worth even a 3rd or 4th pick. As a player, some personnel guys said Lynch is worth a 3rd, but since he has been suspended already and could be looking at a much longer suspension if he screws up again, most wouldn't give more than a 4th for him.

This stuff is really interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

swede
09-21-2010, 03:12 PM

It is interesting, but I refuse to believe it. It would be like the newspaper reporting that my father was really interested in that 2010 Lincoln Town Car, but he wouldn't give up his 2004 for less than the retail value in trade. In other words, he WASN'T REALLY INTERESTED.

Patler
09-21-2010, 03:16 PM

It is interesting, but I refuse to believe it. It would be like the newspaper reporting that my father was really interested in that 2010 Lincoln Town Car, but he wouldn't give up his 2004 for less than the retail value in trade. In other words, he WASN'T REALLY INTERESTED.

No, its more like the dealer told your father that it wasn't for sale when he came in to look at it.

swede
09-21-2010, 03:30 PM

No, its more like the dealer told your father that it wasn't for sale when he came in to look at it.

So if I had to spin out a tortured analogy the story is that the dealer (Buffalo) doesn't want to move this car (Lynch) at all, but in the salesmen's lounge my dad (TT) is reported to be pitching all kinds of angles in a desperate attempt to procure the car.

I will buy that Buffalo doesn't want to move Lynch...maybe.

I don't buy that TT would make more than one phone call looking to pick up Lynch. Sorry Buffalo, he's just not that into you.

mission
09-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Didn't the whole Lynch rumor start from a poster on a Bills forum who said his brother is business partners with AJ Hawk and Hawk said he was getting traded. Someone posted a link either here (or on another forum) and it seemed like quite a windup. Everyone there was posting news stories that seemed to get their information from the thread (then PFT obviously).

Maybe it was never anything?

Guiness
09-21-2010, 03:49 PM
I just don't understand why Buffalo would not want to move ML at all.

A 2nd stringer, I might understand. But why in the world would they want to keep their 3rd string back if they can get a 3rd rounder for him?

*shrug* this is also the team that decided to keep $10million worth of QB's on the roster - two guys, Doug Flutie and Rob Johnston, each making $5million/year.

pbmax
09-21-2010, 05:59 PM
I just don't understand why Buffalo would not want to move ML at all.

A 2nd stringer, I might understand. But why in the world would they want to keep their 3rd string back if they can get a 3rd rounder for him?

*shrug* this is also the team that decided to keep $10million worth of QB's on the roster - two guys, Doug Flutie and Rob Johnston, each making $5million/year.
Perhaps they know he is their best back and just want to teach him a lesson? :lol:

They went so far as to draft his replacement in the first round.

red
09-21-2010, 06:05 PM
larry johnson was just cut by the redskins

i don't think he has anything left but he would be dirt cheap and wouldn't cost us a pick

Fritz
09-22-2010, 06:52 AM
If there's any truth to the part that Thompson has inquired about Lynch's availability, and was told Lynch is not available, then this line from Tom Silverstein would not be correct:

"So, barring general manager Ted Thompson going against his nature and dealing a high draft pick for Lynch, what do the Packers do?"

I am amused and also frustrated by the assumption often made by fans (and by many newspaper reporters) that making a trade is as simple as calling up a GM and offering whatever the rumor mill says.

Sparkey
09-22-2010, 08:14 AM
The Patriots just lost Kevin Faulk for the year with an ACL injury.

Think they would like Maroney back ?

The above is an example of why you can never have enough running backs. That is why I don't think that Lynch is going anywhere.

ThunderDan
09-22-2010, 08:22 AM
I just heard from a friend of a friend of a friend. That NE is sending a 2nd and a LB up to BUFF for Lynch.

See.... I can do it too.

Fritz
09-22-2010, 08:33 AM
No, wait. It's that the Packers are sending AJ Hawk to NE, who will send a 6th rounder to the Packers plus a 7th in 2012. Then NE will trade Hawk and a 5th for Lynch.

There. Now we can all be self-righteously pissed off. Damn Ted Thompson and his love of low-round draft picks!

ThunderDan
09-22-2010, 08:47 AM
No, wait. It's that the Packers are sending AJ Hawk to NE, who will send a 6th rounder to the Packers plus a 7th in 2012. Then NE will trade Hawk and a 5th for Lynch.

There. Now we can all be self-righteously pissed off. Damn Ted Thompson and his love of low-round draft picks!

I love it. A 3 way trade were we get picks!

mraynrand
09-22-2010, 08:55 AM

I don't think he'll pull the trigger on that one - it doesn't make him look good enough.

mraynrand
09-22-2010, 08:59 AM

This is very strange. Did he slip in the tub? This seems awfully suspicious - like Clay Matthews getting a sack on Wed last week. I smell a rat...

mraynrand
09-22-2010, 08:59 AM

The above is an example of why you can never have enough running backs. That is why I don't think that Lynch is going anywhere.

By coincidence, neither are the Bills.

Pugger
09-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Didn't the whole Lynch rumor start from a poster on a Bills forum who said his brother is business partners with AJ Hawk and Hawk said he was getting traded. Someone posted a link either here (or on another forum) and it seemed like quite a windup. Everyone there was posting news stories that seemed to get their information from the thread (then PFT obviously).

Maybe it was never anything?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if all of this trade talk started with a poster on a Bills forum and then it took on a life of its own. I dont' know why Buffalo is not interested in trading Lynch or one of their other backs. That team is in dire need of talent so one would think they'd be interested in moving a player at a position where they are deep for a player playing a position of need or future draft picks. But they clearly are not interested. Maybe this is why that team has been so woeful for so long.

Lurker64
09-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Well, when they traded Maroney they had 4 RBs on the roster. 3 RBs seems to be the standard complement for NFL teams, so trading away whichever of the four guys you like least is probably a fair decision.

Even minus Faulk, they still have Sammy Morris and the Law Firm back there.