PDA

View Full Version : Harsh Reality

Patler
09-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Two NFL transaction entries:

Denver Broncos - Kenny McKinley - taken of IR.
Denver Broncos - Kenny McKinley - deceased.

Apparently a suicide, per the sheriff's office.
That's three Broncos who have died in the last 4 years.

mmmdk
09-21-2010, 01:13 PM
RIP Kenny McKinley.

Who were the other guys? Well, Elway's kinda old... :oops:

Patler
09-21-2010, 01:29 PM
RIP Kenny McKinley.

Its three who were on the Bronco roster at the times of their deaths.

Darrent Williams was shot and killed in a car with Javon Walker at his side 4 years ago.
Damien Nash, a running back died in the off season during a basketball game a couple years ago.

mmmdk
09-21-2010, 01:35 PM
RIP Kenny McKinley.

Darrent Williams was shot and killed in a car with Javon Walker at his side 4 years ago.
Damien Nash, a running back died in the off season during a basketball game a couple years ago.

I know! Euro black humor - we don't say: "just kiddin". Ah shoot, I left an emoticon - I'm getting too mushy.

Tarlam!
09-21-2010, 01:42 PM
RIP Kenny McKinley.

I know! Euro black humor - we don't say: "just kiddin". Ah shoot, I left an emoticon - I'm getting too mushy.

Danish black humor. I don't know any other Europeans that laugh about suicide.

mmmdk
09-21-2010, 02:04 PM
RIP Kenny McKinley.

...you never get it and you'll always be a fish out of water. You'll never get it here. The grin was on the "other" Denver people that lost their lives and not Kenny.

Even Americanos get it...so who killed Kenny? Well, Kenny did. Sad but true. That was a South Park moment but really; this joke is ON YOU and not the unfortunate Kenny McKinley.

retailguy
09-21-2010, 02:08 PM

Even the most clueless stop joking about suicide when it affects someone they know. At that point, the light bulb is fully illuminated.

mmmdk
09-21-2010, 02:25 PM

Even the most clueless stop joking about suicide when it affects someone they know. At that point, the light bulb is fully illuminated.

Point taken...yeah ahm...but Tarlam will never be European. Watch some Euro flicks and you'll see black humor galore - get of out of your German dungeon.

BTW - I luv Germany, especially Berlin....and their twistedness :twisted:

Euro rules > Aussies drool

I'm out! Gotta watch ending of LOST.

Patler
09-21-2010, 03:10 PM
I didn't realize McKinley had had the success in college that he did. He broke all of Sterling Sharpe's records at Scout Carolina. Had injury problems, but Denver was hoping he could contribute in the future.

Article about him:

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/09/21/kenny-mckinleys-greatness-captured-in-his-smile-not-just-yards/?icid=main|netscape|dl5|sec1_lnk1|171987

Patler
09-21-2010, 03:11 PM
I didn't realize McKinley had had the success in college that he did. He broke all of Sterling Sharpe's records at Scout Carolina. Had injury problems, but Denver was hoping he could contribute in the future.

Article about him:
http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/09/21/kenny-mckinleys-greatness-captured-in-his-smile-not-just-yards/?icid=main

Bossman641
09-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Really a shame to hear about.

Everything I've read suggests that his friends/teammates/coaches didn't notice anything strange going on with him.

mission
09-21-2010, 03:38 PM
RIP Kenny McKinley.

...you never get it and you'll always be a fish out of water. You'll never get it here. The grin was on the "other" Denver people that lost their lives and not Kenny.

Even Americanos get it...so who killed Kenny? Well, Kenny did. Sad but true. That was a South Park moment but really; this joke is ON YOU and not the unfortunate Kenny McKinley.

Uhh. Maybe you're the only one who gets it.

mmmdk
09-21-2010, 04:18 PM
RIP Kenny McKinley.

Uhh. Maybe you're the only one who gets it.

I'm betting on that none of you [present posters] see death very often; I work at hospitals & death is kinda a part of life on hospitals and you just don't get it when you feel violated and feel holier than thou when it's just really about not getting it .
NO cheap point will be given for being a selfproclaimed sensitive guy/gal when someone, sadly, chooses to end their lives - especially when it's merely being copy/pasted from the big bad web. None given for a good or bad jokes about death [not suicide] either.

There's no sacred cow here; maybe it is more of a Danish thing 'cos we draw cartoons of Muhammad too - which leads to retaliatory acts of terror btw.

Too many dogmatic people that probably derive their holier than thou attitude from some "good book" with some angry god telling the chosen ones what to think and say. [b]BTW: Hitchens rocks!

With that said; you're all forgiven if your moms just died! Then I get it.

swede
09-21-2010, 04:47 PM
With that said; you're all forgiven if your moms just died! Then I get it.

Yeah, but you're not getting it from her anymore.

mraynrand
09-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Too many dogmatic people that probably derive their holier than thou attitude from some "good book" with some angry god telling the chosen ones what to think and say. BTW: Hitchens rocks!

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/ART/ART182/black-pot-kettle_~OBJ058.jpg

There is a thread for you in FYI.

pbmax
09-21-2010, 05:33 PM
I am pretty sure that was an Elway joke and I am OK with that. I did not read it as a joke about suicide.

It may, however, have come too soon after a post that mentioned three actual deaths including one suicide. That might be too close for some of our readers. Sometimes its better to err on the side of caution since you can't know your internet audience.

http://www.themoreyouknow.com/images/wallpapers/800x600.jpg

Tarlam!
09-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Micheal, you say you work in hospitals, You obviously help a lot of people. <i applaud you for the. You also say, you see a lot of death. And you make jokes about that. That must be a Danish thing.

When the police arrived at my door at 1 am to inform me of my wife's passing, I didn't note any jokes. No laughing. Just concern about my children's wellbeing and that of myself. Germans obviously have no sense of humor. We don't laugh at death like you Danes. We mourn.

More power to you.

Brando19
09-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Micheal, you say you work in hospitals, You obviously help a lot of people. <i applaud you for the. You also say, you see a lot of death. And you make jokes about that. That must be a Danish thing.

When the police arrived at my door at 1 am to inform me of my wife's passing, I didn't note any jokes. No laughing. Just concern about my children's wellbeing and that of myself. Germans obviously have no sense of humor. We don't laugh at death like you Danes. We mourn.

More power to you.

I think we may be jumping the gun a little bit. I don't think he was making a joke about the kid that died. I think it was a joke about Elway being old. Sure, the joke was a little too soon (wrong place, wrong time), but I don't believe he meant it to offend anyone.

retailguy
09-21-2010, 07:06 PM

More power to you.

I think we may be jumping the gun a little bit. I don't think he was making a joke about the kid that died. I think it was a joke about Elway being old. Sure, the joke was a little too soon (wrong place, wrong time), but I don't believe he meant it to offend anyone.

Nah, he was trying to be funny, but it wasn't. Some things are better left unsaid. Tar is a bit jumpy (understandably). Surely we can offer the guy a little decorum? I'm just damn glad he's back posting. I really missed him whilst he was gone.

Back on topic - I kind of feel bad for the Broncos. Tough to deal with all this sideline stuff. On the other hand, I'll be very very old and still remember that they cheated.

Seeing those young lives cut short for strange circumstances and stupidity is painful to watch. A lot more careers were cut short that night other than Darrant Williams. Walker hasn't been the same since. His entire life has been affected and his football skills disappeared. Makes you wonder if he was really a "flash in the pan", or if everything he does is affected by what he saw and how he reacted to it.

This latest suicide? Gosh, how sad. Kid was 23. On IR for the second time, probably bored to tears with nothing to do. Rehabbing again... Money everywhere, no need to work. Nothing to do. This is not good for anyone. We all need value and purpose.

Grateful that I don't have that kind of life. Feel sorry for those that do sometimes.

mmmdk
09-21-2010, 09:07 PM

More power to you.

Hey, Tarlam - I remember you lost a dear one. Peace!

mmmdk
09-21-2010, 09:10 PM
To everyone else - thanx for posting & points are taken in!

Back to the Pack!

Tarlam!
09-22-2010, 04:29 AM
Rehabbing again... Money everywhere, no need to work. Nothing to do. This is not good for anyone. We all need value and purpose.

Thanks for having my back, RG.

The quote I've highlighted here is so true. People just walk and talk through life and then, all of a sudden, that life just evaporates. Then what? I don't have an answer. I have had a battery a shrinks, that couldn't provide me with an answer. They, oh God, they have no idea.

If I am allowed to offer any advice around here, it is this: Tell your partner and children how much you love them every single day. Life can be cruel and you don't want to miss the chance. Ever.

Iron Mike
09-22-2010, 06:53 AM
I'm betting on that none of you [present posters] see death very often; I work at hospitals & death is kinda a part of life.

I'll take that bet.

Tarlam!
09-22-2010, 11:56 AM
[quote=Tarlam!]Micheal, you say you work in hospitals, You obviously help a lot of people. <i applaud you for the. You also say, you see a lot of death. And you make jokes about that. That must be a Danish thing.

More power to you.Suicide hurts, Michael. It hurts badly. I can only imagine one worse feeling. I saw my Grandmother bury my only uncle and she was devastated. She still is, and that was almost 20 years ago.

I'll be honest with you, Michael. Not a day goes by that I wish I wasn't dead. Where I don't beg God to finally take me. But, I still live. I hate living. The only thing I have left is my Packers and my kids. My two bottles of scotch per day.

Gon't laugh at death, Michael. Don't laugh at suicide. I and others here don't get it when posters do. It simply causes too much pain, Michael.

Peace

retailguy
09-22-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm betting on that none of you [present posters] see death very often; I work at hospitals & death is kinda a part of life.

I'll take that bet.

WINNER!