PDA

View Full Version : What's going on in Philly?

Brando19
09-21-2010, 05:54 PM
First, Reid names Kolb the starter, then Kolb goes down at the hands of CM3...Vick starts the next game and does darn good, but Reid makes sure to state that Kolb is the starter and will start next week. Just a few minutes ago, Reid issued a statement saying Vick is their starting QB and many reports indicate he'll be their starting QB all season. Man....I haven't seen this much flip flopping since the annual Brent Faber retirement saga.

Brandon494
09-21-2010, 06:40 PM
You dont have to like him but its the right decision.

Vick is a better fit with their horrible O-line play, plus hes a proven winner.

Brando19
09-21-2010, 06:47 PM

I agree with this decision 100%. Philly is a playoff team with Vick...they win 3 or 4 games with Kolb as their starter. But...Reid is looking like an idiot more and more. Committing to one QB as his starter and a couple days later changing his mind. Goes to show they made a bad decision by getting rid of McNabb and saying Kolb's the better fit.

Lurker64
09-21-2010, 06:54 PM
From the perspective of "win now at all costs" making Vick the starter for the rest of the season makes sense. However, when you take a look at the time, money, and effort that they've put into Kolb at this point, this is potentially disastrous. When it comes to young, unproven quarterbacks confidence in the face of adversity is incredibly important. Kolb played one half of football, wasn't very effective, and was subsequently replaced for the rest of the season. How is that guy ever going to be able to play without looking over his shoulder in Philadelphia?

Joemailman
09-21-2010, 06:58 PM
This sounds to me like a coach being overruled by someone higher up in the organization. Not sure if Lurie is the type to get involved in football operations like Jerry Jones does.

retailguy
09-21-2010, 06:58 PM
From the perspective of "win now at all costs" making Vick the starter for the rest of the season makes sense. However, when you take a look at the time, money, and effort that they've put into Kolb at this point, this is potentially disastrous. When it comes to young, unproven quarterbacks confidence in the face of adversity is incredibly important. Kolb played one half of football, wasn't very effective, and was subsequently replaced for the rest of the season. How is that guy ever going to be able to play without looking over his shoulder in Philadelphia?

Not sure that anyone plays without looking over their shoulder in Philly with beer bottles and snowballs....

Reid is in the process of blowing his mojo, I think. His word used to be golden, now? He's trying hard to win, makes you wonder if there isn't a little unspoken pressure over there?

Kolb got a bit of a raw deal. It happens and it sucks. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Brando19
09-21-2010, 06:59 PM

Good post.

vince
09-21-2010, 07:00 PM

I agree with this decision 100%. Philly is a playoff team with Vick...they win 3 or 4 games with Kolb as their starter. But...Reid is looking like an idiot more and more. Committing to one QB as his starter and a couple days later changing his mind. Goes to show they made a bad decision by getting rid of McNabb and saying Kolb's the better fit.
They may have said the wrong thing when they traded McNabb, but it was the convenient thing to say at the time. I don't think it means anything. They did the right thing moving McNabb IMO and keeping Kolb and Vick. Say waht you want about Vick as a person, but he's more dangerous QB than McNabb IMO.

Brando19
09-21-2010, 07:04 PM

They may have said the wrong thing when they traded McNabb, but it was the convenient thing to say at the time. I don't think it means anything. They did the right thing moving McNabb IMO and keeping Kolb and Vick. Say waht you want about Vick as a person, but he's more dangerous QB than McNabb IMO.

I agree they're doing the right thing by naming Vick their starting QB. But Reid hasn't done the right thing. He should have kept his trap shut or just said, "Vick is our starting QB" yesterday instead of naming Kolb.

gbgary
09-21-2010, 07:06 PM
vick's still got it. hasn't missed a beat. mr broken play lives.

Iron Mike
09-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Viva Ron Mexico!!!

http://blogs.trb.com/news/local/morningnews/blog/ron-mexico.jpg

vince
09-21-2010, 07:14 PM

I agree they're doing the right thing by naming Vick their starting QB. But Reid hasn't done the right thing. He should have kept his trap shut or just said, "Vick is our starting QB" yesterday instead of naming Kolb.He hadn't decided that yesterday. It's in noone's interest to start a quarterback controversy in the media by stating that he hasn't decided yet. To the media, things stay the same until they change. That's the best way to handle them IMO.

Brando19
09-21-2010, 07:16 PM

I agree they're doing the right thing by naming Vick their starting QB. But Reid hasn't done the right thing. He should have kept his trap shut or just said, "Vick is our starting QB" yesterday instead of naming Kolb.He hadn't decided that yesterday. It's in noone's interest to start a quarterback controversy in the media by stating that he hasn't decided yet. To the media, things stay the same until they change. That's the best way to handle them IMO.

I'm pretty sure I heard on Sportscenter yesterday that Reid said after the game that Kolb will play and he will start next Sunday.

vince
09-21-2010, 07:21 PM

I'm pretty sure I heard on Sportscenter yesterday that Reid said after the game that Kolb will play and he will start next Sunday.Right, because he hadn't yet decided to make the switch. In the interest of stability and keeping the media frenzy at bay, he had to say that at that point IMO.

Brando19
09-21-2010, 07:27 PM

I'm pretty sure I heard on Sportscenter yesterday that Reid said after the game that Kolb will play and he will start next Sunday.Right, because he hadn't yet decided to make the switch. In the interest of stability and keeping the media frenzy at bay, he had to say that at that point IMO.

No disrespect, but I don't agree. If he was slightly torn...why make that bold statement? And Vick said after the game "This is Kevin's team." Man...how is Kolb supposed to keep his head up after this?

vince
09-21-2010, 07:35 PM

No disrespect, but I don't agree. If he was slightly torn...why make that bold statement? And Vick said after the game "This is Kevin's team." Man...how is Kolb supposed to keep his head up after this?
In my opinion, it would have been worse for Kolb's confidence to say that he hadn't decided who would start, only to start him and REALLY have everyone pressuring him to perform. I think the best way to handle it is to give your starter all the confidence and keep the media off his ass until he's not the starter anymore. Just my opinion.

steve823
09-21-2010, 07:46 PM
I hope Vick fails miserably and Kolb steps in and does good. They didn't even give the guy a chance.

pbmax
09-21-2010, 07:47 PM
This sounds to me like a coach being overruled by someone higher up in the organization. Not sure if Lurie is the type to get involved in football operations like Jerry Jones does.
The last working theory I read is that Reid was the last one convinced McNabb should be traded. If that post-mortem was to be believed, the front office had been pushing for McNabb's ouster for some time.

RashanGary
09-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Maybe ownership came forward. I woudln't be shocked if the team came forward for Vick. He seemed to really have the support of his teammates when he played us.

packerbacker1234
09-21-2010, 08:07 PM
I think this is Reid simply owning up to a mistake in his logic. Their OL is just horrible. Kolb wont have a chance to succeed as a pocket passer. With vick, he opens up the whole field. He can buy time, is showing he can make good decisions and good throws, and is always a threat with the feet. With Vick, eagles, offensively, are a playoff contendor (defense is very questionable). Vick is going to be their best bet to win now, and he doesn't have much wear and tear. He could easily play another 5 to 6 years even at his age, because he doesn't have the same breakdown as other QB's simply because he had two seasons off. Three really, with not really playing last year.

It's the right decisions, and sometimes, you have to eat your own words and admit you were wrong for initially wanting to stick with Kolb. They are just a much better team with vick on the field.

mraynrand
09-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Kolb can go cry to his mommie. This is the NFL. You play better than the next guy, you play. Reid knows that Kolb was marginal at best in the preseason and sucked rocks in the the first half against GB. It's a dog eat dog world in the NFL and VICK DA GRATE is DA MAN, BABY!!!!

mission
09-21-2010, 08:31 PM
What's going on in Philly?!?!?

They're making it really tough on the Braves!! Dammit! :evil: :evil:

MOBB DEEP
09-21-2010, 08:56 PM
VICK DA GRATE is DA MAN, BABY!!!![/size][/b]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Little Whiskey
09-21-2010, 10:18 PM
if you wanted to win now why trade mcnabb? they thought kolb was the qb of the future, but only gave him two series to prove it? (his third was after he came back into the game with a concussion). this doesn't make sense to me. its kolb's job. how do you yank your starting qb after going thru all of training camp and only giving the guy 2 series?

mraynrand
09-21-2010, 10:27 PM
I have to admit, I thought this was the plan all along. Kolb would suck and Vick comes in to save the day. No one gives a shit about torn up puppies when you're losing by three touchdowns - especially Philly fans. Vick is a great QB. I was thinking that he is like a blend between Fran Tarkinton, Steve Young, and Warren Moon. He has that escapability in the pocket like the Squirrel from MN, he runs in the open field like Young, and he has a smoove deep ball like Moon. If he only had the intermediate throw accuracy, and didn't kill dogs, he might have been an all-time great. As it is, he will make Philly competitive in the NFC East.

Cheesehead Craig
09-21-2010, 11:31 PM
If Vick wins, stays the starter and the Iggles end up 11-5 or such and win the East how the hell do you not stay with Vick for the long run? He's 30 and doesn't have the wear and tear on his body given his "time off" so could very well be effective for another 5 yrs or so.

Sorry Kolb, but Vick's better.

Fritz
09-22-2010, 07:07 AM

I see this line often and I wonder at it. If one can be a "proven winner" doesn't this suggest that one could also be an "unproven winner"?

I think Kevin Kolb is an unproven winner.

mraynrand
09-22-2010, 08:53 AM
If Vick wins, stays the starter and the Iggles end up 11-5 or such and win the East how the hell do you not stay with Vick for the long run? He's 30 and doesn't have the wear and tear on his body given his "time off" so could very well be effective for another 5 yrs or so.

Sorry Kolb, but Vick's better.

It's a different kind of wear and tear in the stir

denverYooper
09-22-2010, 11:15 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/VickTopDog.jpg

</FAIL>

Little Whiskey
09-22-2010, 11:20 AM
stay classy philly

channtheman
09-22-2010, 11:31 AM
stay classy philly

This implies that at some point in time Philly was classy.

Joemailman
09-22-2010, 11:54 AM
stay classy philly

Well, there was a time...

http://civicscafe.com/uploads/Constitutional_Convention.jpg

MichiganPackerFan
09-22-2010, 01:43 PM
stay classy philly

Well, there was a time...

http://civicscafe.com/uploads/Constitutional_Convention.jpg

Your example of Philly "classy" involves congress??? :shock:

MichiganPackerFan
09-22-2010, 01:49 PM
I think Clark Judge's piece on CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13992148/reids-move-to-vick-in-best-interest-of-all-including-kolb) was really good:

The startling decision to sit down Kolb one day after Reid named him his starter guarantees that the target critics were readying for Kolb's jersey goes on the chest of Reid instead -- with the entire city of Philadelphia waiting to pounce. If the move backfires and the Eagles flounder, it is Andy Reid -- not Kolb -- who takes the heat ... and tell me that's not how Reid wants it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13992148/reids-move-to-vick-in-best-interest-of-all-including-kolb

mmmdk
09-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Your example of Philly "classy" involves congress??? :shock:

At the time, yes! Funny stuff btw :D

mngolf19
09-24-2010, 12:26 PM
One of these guys will not be with Philly next season. But which one? Vick is a FA, Kolb is signed long term. Can't sign both long term. So do you trade Kolb or let Vick leave in FA?

ThunderDan
09-24-2010, 12:31 PM
One of these guys will not be with Philly next season. But which one? Vick is a FA, Kolb is signed long term. Can't sign both long term. So do you trade Kolb or let Vick leave in FA?

I think over the next 3-5 weeks we will have an answer. If Vick keeps performing they will keep Vick. If not they just let him walk.

DannoMac21
09-24-2010, 02:56 PM
I hope Vick fails miserably and Kolb steps in and does good. They didn't even give the guy a chance.

Yeah they did. Vick's stepped in and won them 2 games, and has looked incredible thus far. Why should the Eagles start Kolb? You play to win.

ThunderDan
09-24-2010, 03:04 PM

Yeah they did. Vick's stepped in and won them 2 games, and has looked incredible thus far. Why should the Eagles start Kolb? You play to win.

Kolb got 15 plays against the Packer D. That's all.

Sorry as the future franchise QB of the Eagles your chance is officially over after 15 plays!

RashanGary
09-24-2010, 03:14 PM
I have to admit, I thought this was the plan all along. Kolb would suck and Vick comes in to save the day. No one gives a shit about torn up puppies when you're losing by three touchdowns - especially Philly fans. Vick is a great QB. I was thinking that he is like a blend between Fran Tarkinton, Steve Young, and Warren Moon. He has that escapability in the pocket like the Squirrel from MN, he runs in the open field like Young, and he has a smoove deep ball like Moon. If he only had the intermediate throw accuracy, and didn't kill dogs, he might have been an all-time great. As it is, he will make Philly competitive in the NFC East.

I dont' give him quite as much credit as you do as being a passer. He was fine. It seems like he had a lot of other distractions beside football though. A focused Vick, I'll bet he can be an even better passer than he was and he was alright.

He was one of the most electrifying players I've ever seen though. He still is electrifying.

He should start. He's a great player. He's got a little Brett Favre in him though. He'll never be as good as he should be.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2010, 03:20 PM

Philly lost to us. How did Vick win them 2 games? I'm torn on this. Vick looks great, and it's hard to go away from him. I also think Kolb is going to be a good QB, and giving up on him is rough after 2 quarters. If it's true that they signed Kolb long-term (can't remember), then it may not do long-term harm to start Vick this year. Personally, I think they'll move on from Vick after this year (they may get a nice offer if they franchise and then trade him)--provided they don't get to the Super Bowl with him.

steve823
09-24-2010, 04:30 PM

First, the Eagles (not Vick), only won 1 game..in overtime...against the Lions...with their backup QB.

Second, the Eagles were in a transition year and were likely to finish among the bottom of the division. You can't just have a QB step in and be great (not everyone is like AR :lol: ). BUT, if you didn't notice, that whole division is in disarray. The cowboys are imploding or whatever you want to call their mess. The Giants look overrated like always and still have no defense and their WR's look horrible. The Redskins actually look ok ,but don't forget they are still the Redskins. With all that being said, the Eagles actually have a shot at winning their division this year and yes your right, Vick does give them the best chance to win NOW.

Long-term however, I would want Kolb.

On a side note, you guys realize that all this is because of Clay. :lol: If Clay didn't dominate the Eagles and give Kolb a concussion, who knows maybe he plays decent or Reid doesn't see Vick play good and stays with Kolb as the starter. Just saying.

mngolf19
09-24-2010, 09:24 PM

Philly lost to us. How did Vick win them 2 games? I'm torn on this. Vick looks great, and it's hard to go away from him. I also think Kolb is going to be a good QB, and giving up on him is rough after 2 quarters. If it's true that they signed Kolb long-term (can't remember), then it may not do long-term harm to start Vick this year. Personally, I think they'll move on from Vick after this year (they may get a nice offer if they franchise and then trade him)--provided they don't get to the Super Bowl with him.

Is franchising even going to be an option with the new CBA though?

Lurker64
09-24-2010, 10:21 PM

Is franchising even going to be an option with the new CBA though?

Probably. Teams stand to lose too much if it goes away entirely; think of how awful the Peyton and Brady negotiations going on this year would be if at the end of the year either QB could just walk and go to the highest bidder... the quarterback would really have the team by the shorthairs. The NFLPA will want to see it gone, but since the ownership is going to win this round (at least a Pyrrhic victory in the case of a lockout) it's not going anywhere. It will probably remain limited to one per team, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the owners eliminate the transition tag as a concession to the NFLPA. Who really needs the transition tag anyway?