PDA

View Full Version : Bears Gameplan

The Shadow
09-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Bears Offense
The Bears will try to win this one with big plays deep to Knox or Hester.
They will be well aware of Clay. Expect early screens to Forte or Taylor to his side to gauge if Cutler has time for the deeper drops.
I would be much more leery of the pass than the run.
They will also be looking for a way to exploit a Woodson blitz, so I would keep Charles back in the secondary, and instead rely on the more unexpected, like delayed blitzes by Barnett , Chillar, or Jones.

Bears Defense
They will dare us to run, since they will be much more concerned with our passing game. Would not be at all surprised to see them almost exclusively in nickel.
Like the Eagles, they will begin by attempting to neutralize Finley.
I would make sure that Peppers receives a chip block on passing plays - esp. if B.B. starts at LT- until I saw how the left side was holding up.

I think that Jennings could be huge in this game. If their attention is on Finley, I would definitely test Bowman - and the mediocre safeties -deep.
I think it's important that we start well and don't allow them any confidence.
The Bears might approach this one like they tried to handle Manning in the Super Bowl, with deep drops by the linebackers.
If they do, short hooks to Jackson or Kuhn may be effective.

3irty1
09-21-2010, 09:52 PM
The Martz system is just that, a system. It relies on perfect execution. The keys on defense will be to disrupt their pass protection and routes with our corners. I think I said in another thread that Shields should probably get some bench in favor of one of the other guys with press coverage experience. It seems to be the key against Martz's offense. The biggest mismatch they'll have for us may be Matt Forte. I'm all for making Cutler beat us.

On offense we can expect the Bears who have the personnel to matchup with Finely to try and take him away. I expect McCarthy to play much like he did in Philly, attempting to create mismatches with Jordy and the three TE with Finley out wide. With Finely commanding attention, the running game should open up even for our set of backs, and some big plays should be available to GJ and friends.

Patler
09-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Trent Dilfer thinks the Cutler/Martz pairing is a disaster in the making:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/102703979.html

Hopefully, the Packers can hurry it along a little!

Little Whiskey
09-21-2010, 10:06 PM
I was listening to 670 the score out of chicago this afternoon.

a caller asked the host how he thought the bears could stop Mathews, the reply.........shoot him. :D

tauscher was on earlier and a caller asked that he never be brought back since the interview made him hate the packers less.

mraynrand
09-21-2010, 10:11 PM
The Martz system is just that, a system. It relies on perfect execution. The keys on defense will be to disrupt their pass protection and routes with our corners. I think I said in another thread that Shields should probably get some bench in favor of one of the other guys with press coverage experience. It seems to be the key against Martz's offense. The biggest mismatch they'll have for us may be Matt Forte. I'm all for making Cutler beat us.

On offense we can expect the Bears who have the personnel to matchup with Finely to try and take him away. I expect McCarthy to play much like he did in Philly, attempting to create mismatches with Jordy and the three TE with Finley out wide. With Finely commanding attention, the running game should open up even for our set of backs, and some big plays should be available to GJ and friends.

The Packers need to beat the crap out of their skinny punk receivers at the LOS. Packer interior linebackers need to watch some Wayne Simmons:

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/?action=view&current=WayneSimmmonsbadass.flv

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/?action=view&current=WayneSimmmonsbadass4.flv

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/?action=view&current=WayneSimmmonsbadass3.flv

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/?action=view&current=WayneSimmonsBadass2.flv

MadScientist
09-21-2010, 11:20 PM

On thing they haven't shown yet that I'd like to see is a biltz by Shields. I'd like to see him hit Cutler like a punt returner who forgot to call for a fair catch.

Smidgeon
09-22-2010, 12:10 AM

On thing they haven't shown yet that I'd like to see is a biltz by Shields. I'd like to see him hit Cutler like a punt returner who forgot to call for a fair catch.

Never thought about that, but he's definitely got the speed to get there in a hurry. The question is, however: does he have the wiggle to get past the pass block?

Lurker64
09-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Deep drops by the LBs and "focusing on neutralizing Finley" seem to be mutually exclusive goals.

Generally the biggest vulnerability of the Tampa 2 is that an athletic and powerful TE can badly exploit the seams between the CB and the OLB. The middle of the defense is the biggest weakness in the passing game, and deep drops by the LBs are only going to make the weakness bigger.

I think a big part of the Bears defensive gameplan will hinge on trying to get pressure on Rodgers from Peppers. This is exactly the sort of game they signed Peppers for.

denverYooper
09-22-2010, 11:23 AM
The Bears defense reminds me of ours from 08 somewhat - ball hawking, but giving a lot of real estate in the process. When they don't get the TOs, watch out... If we take care of the ball this game we'll roll.

Smidgeon
09-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Obviously written by a Bears' homer since he doesn't seem to know anything about the Packers besides their "reputation". (http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2010/09/22/bears-strengths-vs-packers-weaknesses/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NFLGridironGab+%28NFL+GridIro n+Gab%29)

Or should I have put this in the "I Hate the Bears" thread? :?:

denverYooper
09-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Obviously written by a Bears' homer since he doesn't seem to know anything about the Packers besides their "reputation". (http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2010/09/22/bears-strengths-vs-packers-weaknesses/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NFLGridironGab+%28NFL+GridIro n+Gab%29)

LOL, you think?

Would have been funnier if he wrote

"2.) This will be a game Peppers chooses to show up for."

Sure, he knocked Stafford out but has notched only 1 sack and 1 tackle in 2 games against some pretty questionable O-Lines. Have teams been doubling him regularly so that he's just not showing up? I'm really curious because I haven't been paying a lot of attention to him.

Zool
09-22-2010, 02:30 PM

That's just some God awful writing in that "article". I hope he's not being paid for that.

Smidgeon
09-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Please tell me we're not that blind when it comes to dissecting an upcoming opponent. I know we're fans and all, but that was bad.

Fritz
09-22-2010, 02:52 PM
My favorite part: "this team’s supreme confidence has great potential, led by its leader, Jay Cutler."

Their confidence has potential. That confidence is led....by its leader.

Sounds like something our good friends Dabaddestbear or Bearman might've written.

I miss those two semi-literate guys!

Freak Out
09-22-2010, 02:55 PM
I was listening to 670 the score out of chicago this afternoon.

a caller asked the host how he thought the bears could stop Mathews, the reply.........shoot him. :D

tauscher was on earlier and a caller asked that he never be brought back since the interview made him hate the packers less.

:)

Guiness
09-22-2010, 03:38 PM
The Packers need to beat the crap out of their skinny punk receivers at the LOS. Packer interior linebackers need to watch some Wayne Simmons:

That man and sanity were not well acquainted. That first video tells so much, he played the game ANGRY!

Bossman641
09-22-2010, 03:53 PM

My favorite part...

4th: Jay’s Bombs: Green Bay’s secondary is very talented. Immensely gifted. Skilled, ball hawks, guys that can change a whole complexion of a game around. Yet, you can use that against them and turn it around in a hurry with a play-action fake, double-move from Knox or Hester, or just air it out when you see a golden opportunity. Take it to our advantage, right? Big plays=big momentum changers. Big plays=points. The more big plays, the better. Especially, when you consider we’re playing at home, the crowd will definitely help the cause. You know how BIG this game is, so any big play from Cutler’s arm will be a big deal. Cutler’s arm + Knox/Hester’s speed = Opportunity for big things to happen.

Might be team to bust out the thesaurus

Lurker64
09-22-2010, 04:12 PM

4th: Jay’s Bombs: Green Bay’s secondary is very talented. Immensely gifted. Skilled, ball hawks, guys that can change a whole complexion of a game around. Yet, you can use that against them and turn it around in a hurry with a play-action fake, double-move from Knox or Hester, or just air it out when you see a golden opportunity. Take it to our advantage, right? Large plays=sizable momentum changers. Substantial plays=points. The more great plays, the better. Especially, when you consider we’re playing at home, the crowd will definitely help the cause. You know how HUGE this game is, so any immense play from Cutler’s arm will be an enormous deal. Cutler’s arm + Knox/Hester’s speed = Opportunity for enormous things to happen.

Just checking down the list in the Thesaurus. I'm sad I didn't get to use "Brobdingnagian".

RUnuts
09-22-2010, 10:32 PM

4th: Jay’s Bombs: Green Bay’s secondary is very talented. Immensely gifted. Skilled, ball hawks, guys that can change a whole complexion of a game around. Yet, you can use that against them and turn it around in a hurry with a play-action fake, double-move from Knox or Hester, or just air it out when you see a golden opportunity. Take it to our advantage, right? Large plays=sizable momentum changers. Substantial plays=points. The more great plays, the better. Especially, when you consider we’re playing at home, the crowd will definitely help the cause. You know how HUGE this game is, so any immense play from Cutler’s arm will be an enormous deal. Cutler’s arm + Knox/Hester’s speed = Opportunity for enormous things to happen.

Just checking down the list in the Thesaurus. I'm sad I didn't get to use "Brobdingnagian".

The fatuous, flotilla sized, femeral, fallable, fat fuckers on the fortuitous, floppy, fellatio giving bears side will formulate a flawed, fillosophy (ok I cheated) of failure so fantastic that the filthy fanbase of forest munchers will be flabbergasted.

(someone burned most of my thesaurous and I only had a few pages in the F, section)

swede
09-22-2010, 10:42 PM

The fatuous, flotilla sized, femeral, fallable, fat fuckers on the fortuitous, floppy, fellatio giving bears side will formulate a flawed, fillosophy (ok I cheated) of failure so fantastic that the filthy fanbase of forest munchers will be flabbergasted.

(someone burned most of my thesaurous and I only had a few pages in the F, section)

Dear RUNuts,

You'll fit right in. See the orderly at the front desk for a hospital gown and a pair of paper slippers. 8-)

RUnuts
09-22-2010, 10:47 PM

Dear RUNuts,

You'll fit right in. See the orderly at the front desk for a hospital gown and a pair of paper slippers. 8-)

Oh boy! I get a new gown and slippers!! The ones I"m wearing here ih the dayroom are about worn out

Thanks!!

K-town
09-23-2010, 12:32 PM

Dear RUNuts,

How about a sweater with really long sleeves?

HowardRoark
09-23-2010, 12:41 PM

Dear RUNuts,

I think Tyrone is still using it.

RUnuts
09-23-2010, 12:54 PM

Dear RUNuts,

yes! yes! oh please, oh please!!

denverYooper
09-23-2010, 01:20 PM
My gameplan involves a handle of Seagram's, a 2 liter of Big K Tonic Water, and a couple key limes.

Gunakor
09-23-2010, 03:07 PM
My plan is to DVR the game and watch it after work....

:evil:

mraynrand
09-23-2010, 04:34 PM

Dear RUNuts,

Yep, we're just one big happy Packer family watching the game. Just don't bring up He Who Will Not Be Named.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2sQ1MmTf5i8/S_QRm2iHxhI/AAAAAAAABXk/S3F_8QFbXHE/s1600/one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-scene.jpg

channtheman
09-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Dear RUNuts,

Yep, we're just one big happy Packer family watching the game. Just don't bring up He Who Will Not Be Named.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2sQ1MmTf5i8/S_QRm2iHxhI/AAAAAAAABXk/S3F_8QFbXHE/s1600/one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-scene.jpg

Oh fuck. We have Gruden announcing this game. You think he will remember that Favre hasn't been on the Packers since 2007?

rbaloha1
09-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Expect the Bears to spread-out and isolate Shields and Bush. Cutler's quick release neutralizes Matthews.

On defense, expect the Bears to blitz often until they get burned.

mraynrand
09-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Expect the Bears to spread-out and isolate Shields and Bush. Cutler's quick release neutralizes Matthews.

On defense, expect the Bears to blitz often until they get burned.

I don't think the Bears will blitz much. I think Lovie wants to let his front four do the job and ake it really tough for Rodgers to complete passes. As someone said above, they will dare the Packers to run it, hoping for at worst a repeat of the 2007 game at Soldier field.

mmmdk
09-23-2010, 07:48 PM
...can Mike Martz talk to Cutler...all the time during games? Then I'm really worried :lol:

outflow
09-23-2010, 08:24 PM
The Packers should go 5 wide, ALL NIGHT LONG.

Joemailman
09-23-2010, 08:31 PM
By five wide, I assume you mean 4 wide + Finley. Problem is when you do that, you take away the threat of play action. Five wide has its place, but why be predictable?

RUnuts
09-23-2010, 09:16 PM
I don't pretend to be as knowledgeable as some of you, but would a few draw plays make sense to stop the rush in the beginning.

ThunderDan
09-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Man, really? The optimism in this thread is intolerable. I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell this team can go 6-2 here on out. This team has way too many problems...terrible o line, a non anticipative qb, no pass rush, bad offensive game planning, and a horrendous special teams outfit.

There is a whole lot of kool aid guzzling going on here.

TT must have done a complete turn of the roster since last October!

Joemailman
09-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Well, he was sort of right. They went 7-1.

Gunakor
09-24-2010, 12:00 AM
I don't pretend to be as knowledgeable as some of you, but would a few draw plays make sense to stop the rush in the beginning.

That could work, but we'd need a back who could make that work. I think if we throw a couple early screens at them that would accomplish the same goal, and Jackson is much more capable of doing damage on screen plays than draw plays.

rbaloha1
09-24-2010, 11:37 AM

5 wide means no rbs. Bears secondary is questionable.

Fritz
09-24-2010, 11:47 AM

Well, if the Bears are rushing only four, maybe not. It's not a play that has worked well for the Pack in the recent past, though I don't think they use it much.

if the Bears are pinning their ears back, screens might work better. And since catching the ball is Jackson's forte (yuck yuck), that could work.

Waldo
09-24-2010, 12:11 PM
There might not be a WR corps in the NFL that are a better matchup for us than the Bears. What they lack in prowess they make up for with speed, against most teams.

If there is one thing GB's secondary can do, its run. Our safeties are easily the fastest pair in the NFL, and Woodson is our slowest CB. Taking GB deep on the outside, hoping to win a foot race, is a waste of time. Even if the CB's get beat, the S's have the range to get over the top.

What GB's CB's lack in savvy (sans Wood/Collins), they make up for with speed.

Tramon has darn near been a shutdown CB thus far this season, and Chicago doesn't have the type of WR's that I think can beat him (the big fast guys with vet savvy, the Larry Fitz's and Andre Johnson's will give him fits). He can be left alone on an island all game. Shields will likely always have a S over the top. I look for Wood to spend a lot of time in the short zones, trying to take a dumpoff to Forte the other way and /or keeping Bennett and Olsen under control. Forte has been their most targeted receiver thus far.

Our DL is going to give them fits. A big reason for Matthews fast start has been Raji. Teams have to roll protection to him, and even then he is collapsing the pocket fast. Pressure up the middle is much worse than pressure off the edge. There might not be a bigger mismatch on the field on either side of the ball than Raji-Kreutz (Kreutz is tiny, like 290). Raji is much bigger, and Kreutz has no leverage advantage over him. They will have to help him with the RG, who is a little raw. At the other G spot, Garza is an old savvy vet. He has decent size, but is slowing down. And explosive interior rusher like Jenkins is exactly the type of player he will struggle with the most. I don't see a guy on their interior that Bam Bam wouldn't drive back with authority. They don't have any 330 lb mosters at G, the guys that will give Bam Bam trouble. The right side of their OL doesn't have the experience and power to move Pickett off the ball, especially since Kreutz will need help with Raji on run downs.

Chicago has a lot of speed on D in the front 7. Finley will set the defense. How they play him will determine how we will attack. If they are putting a LB on him in man, I expect our primary attack to be with a FB and HB in the backfield (smacking their small-fast defense around with Johnson is exactly what the doctor ordered), splitting Finley wide will give a good box count, we should be able to run effectively (no matter who the HB is). If they are playing Finley with zone coverage, Finley will get a lot of action, especially in the deep middle. If they man up with a CB, look for Jones/Nelson to get some looks, and if they man up with a S look for us to challenge them deep on the perimeter or with sluggo routes. Driver has always been very effective against Tampa-2 defenses in the intermediate area.

Kuhn and/or Nance could have a nice day running the ball. Their style works well against the Bears style of defense. The Bears have been tough to run against, but we tend to run with a FB a lot more than the teams they have faced (Det/Dal), FB-HB running is a lot more effective against a speed defense than TE-HB running. I don't think though that the run will be there unless they grow overly concerned with Finley, if they do look for us to try to pound it and run PA off ot it. If they are playing us with Tampa-2 coverage (they've done it A LOT thus far this season), I look to see a game of AR in shotgun playing it like a shootout.

Smidgeon
09-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Thank you for these insights. I always get bored with the newspapers' published pieces regarding for what to look forward.

RashanGary
09-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Nice insights. I agree.

vince
09-25-2010, 04:08 PM
For those who like the descriptive and verbose old-time journalistic style, here's an erudite preview of the game from a Bear fan.

So you've been forewarned, here's just the opening.

As the war drums of Halas pound and as the faithful line up for joyous reward, a dark, smoldering cloud of glowering fury descends from the NORTH. Caution, Bears faithful. Here be the dragon that is Green Bay.

http://gapersblock.com/tailgate/2010/09/footballic-ramblings-here-be-dragons.php

I thought this was pretty good...

Jennings has not fallen off that pace and with the emergence of half-pachyderm/half-man, Jermichael Finley at the tight end spot, Jennings is evermore a constant threat to get loose on a deep catch. Finley in the open field is akin to attempting to tackle a 'roided up giraffe, bison hybrid. He's just monstrously proportioned, impossibly fast and so sure-handed. Good luck, Bears secondary in containing the aerial attack.

Fritz
09-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Now there's some good old fashioned sports writing!

The Shadow
09-25-2010, 06:49 PM
I really think 2 keys will be Jennings & Raji.
I'd be shocked if the Bears didn't learn from the Philly game & be all over Finley at the start. With that attention on Finley, Jennings should be a focus for Aaron.
If Raji can consistenly generate pressure in Cutler's face, he should flush him right into the waiting arms of Mathews or Jenkins.

I really hope McCarthy does not come out too conservatively; a strong start is essential.

Tony Oday
09-25-2010, 07:32 PM
The Bears have one new tackle and one playing in a different spot. CMIII might need to retain legal council after this game...

vince
09-25-2010, 07:46 PM
I think the turnover battle will dictate this game. Both teams are very good at taking the ball away, and the Packers have been better at taking care of it.

I think Kuhn will be the guy to pound the rock down their throat.

Finley will very tough to stop, because McCarthy will split him out and get him in advantageous situations and/or give Jennings shots down the middle of the field if they focus on Finley too much with help over the top.

Unless Dom goes into a shell, I can't see the Bears line keeping the Packers off Cutler. Someone said look for a lot of 3-step drops, which they did some of against the Cowboys, but the Cowboys just handed them a bunch of plays with missed assignments.

In the end, I'll be surprised if the Bears can hold the Packers offense under 30. They gave up a lot of yards to Dallas, who just can't figure out how to get into the end zone. And I don't see the Bears offense hanging the whole game to score that many against a defense that matches up very well against their personnel and schematic vulnerabilities.

The Shadow
09-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Woodson is just about due for a spectacular game-changing play.

Pugger
09-27-2010, 12:30 AM
I think the turnover battle will dictate this game. Both teams are very good at taking the ball away, and the Packers have been better at taking care of it.

I think Kuhn will be the guy to pound the rock down their throat.

Finley will very tough to stop, because McCarthy will split him out and get him in advantageous situations and/or give Jennings shots down the middle of the field if they focus on Finley too much with help over the top.

Unless Dom goes into a shell, I can't see the Bears line keeping the Packers off Cutler. Someone said look for a lot of 3-step drops, which they did some of against the Cowboys, but the Cowboys just handed them a bunch of plays with missed assignments.

In the end, I'll be surprised if the Bears can hold the Packers offense under 30. They gave up a lot of yards to Dallas, who just can't figure out how to get into the end zone. And I don't see the Bears offense hanging the whole game to score that many against a defense that matches up very well against their personnel and schematic vulnerabilities.

This is the key to the game in my mind. Chicago has been very good at creating turnovers and has won more than a few games they had no business winning by stripping the ball away. If we have few penalties and take care of the ball we should get out of there with another W.

MichiganPackerFan
09-27-2010, 08:46 AM
For those who like the descriptive and verbose old-time journalistic style, here's an erudite preview of the game from a Bear fan.

So you've been forewarned, here's just the opening.

As the war drums of Halas pound and as the faithful line up for joyous reward, a dark, smoldering cloud of glowering fury descends from the NORTH. Caution, Bears faithful. Here be the dragon that is Green Bay.

http://gapersblock.com/tailgate/2010/09/footballic-ramblings-here-be-dragons.php

I thought this was pretty good...

Jennings has not fallen off that pace and with the emergence of half-pachyderm/half-man, Jermichael Finley at the tight end spot, Jennings is evermore a constant threat to get loose on a deep catch. Finley in the open field is akin to attempting to tackle a 'roided up giraffe, bison hybrid. He's just monstrously proportioned, impossibly fast and so sure-handed. Good luck, Bears secondary in containing the aerial attack.

This was a LOT of fun - thanks for pointing it out!

mraynrand
09-27-2010, 09:06 AM

http://www.thejetsblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/kanye_woodson.png

mraynrand
09-27-2010, 09:10 AM

Hopefully it's not one of these!

http://images.cbssports.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img12792304.jpg

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/12792279/cards-star-gives-em-fitz-with-pushoff-tricks/rss

http://thumbnails.truveo.com/0009/D6/2D/D62D4548B35F71F5E082E7_Large.jpg