PDA

View Full Version : Packer Rats 2006 NFL Draft Projection

Deputy Nutz
04-09-2006, 08:03 PM
I moved it.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-09-2006, 08:37 PM
You want a playmaker? Draft Michael Huff.

Harlan Huckleby
04-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Vince Young.

AJ HAwk is a nice, safe choice. But as a fan - blah!

Partial
04-09-2006, 10:23 PM
wow, I figured the blue dog would love the red and silver hawk

Bretsky
04-09-2006, 10:39 PM
wow, I figured the blue dog would love the red and silver hawk

There aren't many of us pounding for the Hawkster

billy_oliver880
04-09-2006, 10:46 PM
I am all for getting Hawk. But I will be happy with just about anyone in the 5 spot...other then a punter. :D

Tony Oday
04-10-2006, 12:23 AM
i would HATE to draft the future bust Young.

oregonpackfan
04-10-2006, 05:58 AM
i would HATE to draft the future bust Young.

I too have reservations about Young's ability to perform well in the pros. His greatest asset as a collegiate QB is his incredible running ability. Pro coaches are not going to want him to run nearly as much in the pros. There is too great a risk for injury.

Reading pro defenses will be much more difficult in the pros. Another year at the college level would help him develop this skill.

Finally, his passing motion still bothers me. I see that style as hurting his passing accuracy.

Because of his phenomenal overall athletic ability, he might become more of a "Slash" quarterback to even full-time receiver.

Oregonpackfan

Deputy Nutz
04-10-2006, 08:47 AM
If anyone truly knows the game of football you will know that Young played in a system that complimented his skill set. He ran a spread offense that relied heavily on the veer read out of the shotgun. How many teams in the NFL run a spread offense? How many teams then run a veer option out of that spread offense? This offense did little in teaching Young how to read coverages, and throw out of a 3, 5, or 7 step drop. Heck, Mike Vick was more prepared coming out of college to run an NFL offense than Vince Young is.

For my money, I would rather take Jay Cutler. I also think he has bust written all over him as well.

Charles Woodson
04-10-2006, 09:54 AM
As much as i want an exciting player... i think id go with hawk. i want a safe player that will have an amazing nfl carer

Tarlam!
04-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Then it's settled. We won't take a QB with our first. We like Hawk, but we LOVE a trade downwards. We actullay covet Mario, but we'll be the first to cry Jamal when he busts, too.

Gosh, I love the knowledge on this board! :lol:

Deputy Nutz
04-10-2006, 10:57 AM
You calling us stupid?

Guiness
04-10-2006, 11:15 AM
One statement I have seen about Young time and again bothers me:

"He single-handedly won that game"

In the pros, NO ONE single handedly wins games. It just doesn't happen. Players are too fast, co-ordinators adjust too quickly, etc. What happens when he needs to play a more team orientated game?

Nutz - what's a veer option?

Tarlam!
04-10-2006, 11:52 AM
You calling us stupid?

Don't be stupid! I was paying you a compliment! I am just airy after getting a job. The world is a bed of roses and I am Marilyn Manson....

woodbuck27
04-10-2006, 12:04 PM
All Vince Young is for us. Is Ted Thompson'd bait to engineer a trade down with the only viable option as I see it in Oakland.

Let's assume for arguments sake that these three players are available when we are on the clock. I will list them as I feel they should be ranked:

AJ Hawk
Vernon Davis
Vince Young

There is a rumor being developed that Ted Thompson is becoming enamoured with Vince Young. We know he is a protege of Ron Wolf, and Mr.Wolf was of the opinion you can't have enough good prospects at starting QB. Secondly at best the Packers have Brett Favre one more Season. I believe that Brett Favre today may feel that he has more than that remaining in his body ; yet not so much in his mind and heart and that may improve. That is a future story. For the Packers the thinking should be that we may have Favre one more Season.

So all of the above lends support to taking Vince Young.

I won't even go into all the arguments that are used to convince us that Vince Young is a poor choice for the Packers. That say he will bust or not show the talent required for OUR WC offence.

Yet, what truly overrides Vince Young as a consideration is the fact that we have a team with too much need all over, and especially at LB/OL/WR/CB, and possibly based on past injury concerns @ RB.

Ted Thompson's plan is to rebuild. He will try to add as many picks as he can to try to establish more depth on OUR roster.Therein lies the value of the deception of maybe choosing Vince Young. Also in that lies the TRUTH.

Oakland may covet Vince Young as a natural best option.They will reason that TT isn't going to cut his nose off to spite his face and select Vince Young so they are out as an option to trade down. Oakland knows that @ #6 the 49ers covet TE Vernon Davis. I feel that Ted may be more successful if he started salivating over this weapon.

I see it then, that to get maximum value out of that #5 the trade down option 'in reality' doesn't exist. There will be no " Ted we will do you a favour's". Ted will blow it in the eyes of many, if he trades down too far and he already has alot of heat on him. The popular pick now amongst the fans is AJ Hawk.That is the smart and the PR move for Ted Thompson.

Your Draft goes like this through #7.

1. Reggie Bush to Houston
2. Mario Williams or D'Brickashaw Ferguson to New Orleans **
3. Matt Leinart to Tennessee
4. ** the other guy.
5. AJ Hawk
6. Vernon Davis
7. Vince Young ( and good luck with that )

I see AJ Hawk in Green and Gold and that isn't a bad thing. Personally I love Vernon Davis but we can't afford that luxery and for various reason in my analysis that won't be the pick.

Ted Thompson may toss up the smoke n' mirrors in a trade down to below the #7 pick but that won't be a popular move.

I feel he should take a break and grab AJ Hawk.

Deputy Nutz
04-11-2006, 11:38 AM
bump

BooHoo
04-11-2006, 12:54 PM
I think we might go QB or will trade down. Depends on what they think already of Rogers.

Rivers Rutherford
04-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Hawk is the best damn defensive player in the draft bar none. Here's a nice video for the non-believers--he covers, sheds blocks, makes plays in the open field, and oh does he know how to finish a tackle:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=634343853&n=2

HarveyWallbangers
04-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Nutz,

I've started my draft board. I'll get you what I have later tonight. I can maintain the board if you like it, but you will have final say.

Sorry! This should have gone in the Dragons thread.

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2006, 10:17 PM
splat.

Bretsky
04-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Hawk is the best damn defensive player in the draft bar none. Here's a nice video for the non-believers--he covers, sheds blocks, makes plays in the open field, and oh does he know how to finish a tackle:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=634343853&n=2

Welcome to forum RR