PDA

View Full Version : Mason Crosby vs. Robbie Gould

Patler
09-22-2010, 12:37 AM
Well, I got tired of reading all of the shallow reports about Robbie Gould being one of the best in the business and Mason Crosby being "improved". They point to Gould's career percentage of 86.25% in support. I decided to dig a little deeper.

Gould is in his 6th year. Crosby in his 4th. Here are their stats

20-29 yards - Gould 38/38; Crosby 30/30
30-39 yards - Gould 55/59; Crosby 27/33
40-49 yards - Gould 43/58; Crosby 20/29

Under 50 yards - Gould 87.74%; Crosby 83.70%. So yes, Gould is a little better percentage wise. But lets look a little deeper:

In 5+ seasons, Gould is 2/5 on kicks over 50 yards. Yes, he has tried only 5 of them! In two fewer seasons, Crosby is 9/18 on kicks over 50 yards. It makes me wonder how many Gould has from 45-49 yards and if the Bears pass up those opportunities with any regularity. I know the Packers don't.

Gould has 7 blocked FG attempts. Crosby has 3.
On kickoffs, Crosby has 8 more touchbacks in 4 seasons than Gould has in 6.

I'll take Mason Crosby.

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2010, 01:20 AM
+1

Tony Oday
09-22-2010, 01:50 AM
I am a HUGE detractor of Mason Crosby before I stated that I am backing him all year no matter what...based on which of these two I want it is no contest even before my son's new jersey (His name is Mason too) I take crosby...he needs a better number though...

Patler
09-22-2010, 02:13 AM
On his 92 attempts less than 50 yards, the difference between Gould's % and Crosby's actual performance is three field goals. He is better at 50+ than Gould is.

In his 5+ years, Gould has had one long snapper, Mannelly and one holder, Brad Maynard.

In his 3+ seasons, Crosby has had two snappers and 5 holders during the regular seasons. He also spent all of one preseason with Jansen as his snapper, who got hurt in the last preseason game and then he had a new one for the season. He has worked with at least 3 or 4 other holders in preseason games.

Tarlam!
09-22-2010, 05:09 AM
Someone just got Patlerized. I dunno who, but boy, they must be reeling in pain.

Bossman641
09-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Good digging Patler. Yes, Gould is accurate but he almost never kicks from 50+. I think it was only a year or 2 ago that he had his first ever attempt from 50+.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2010, 07:24 AM
"You can take a knee, and try a 56 yard field goal" - Paul Allen

Ok, maybe you can't, because you don't have Mason Crosby like we do. Mason may never have the gaudy accuracy statistics of some other kickers because of where he plays, and because he's able to try relatively low percentage kicks that other kickers can't even try.

He's a weapon that not many teams have.

3irty1
09-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Excellent post!

Fritz
09-22-2010, 08:33 AM
"Mason Crosby vs. Robbie Gould"

I thought we were going to have a cage match!

mraynrand
09-22-2010, 08:45 AM
shallow reporters:

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Patlerized.jpg

ThunderDan
09-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Plus Mason's a hitter and Gould is a wimp.

Mason is averaging 2.75 tackles a year to Gould's 1.17. That's a 135% more tackles per year. He is a stud. (Hmmm.... Mr. Stock could we get this fixed please)

MichiganPackerFan
09-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Who was the bears kicker a few years back who looked like spock and started out backwards?

mission
09-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Who was the bears kicker a few years back who looked like spock and started out backwards?

edit - im wrong

Scott Campbell
09-22-2010, 12:46 PM

Paul Edinger

run pMc
09-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Mason may never have the gaudy accuracy statistics of some other kickers because of where he plays, and because he's able to try relatively low percentage kicks that other kickers can't even try.

QFT

If he has his "from the right hash" issue sorted out, he's a keeper.

I was always driven mad when Longwell's kickoffs barely made it to the 10. He had one like that in the dome vs. MIA and the radio guys were like "what was that!?!" and I had to LOL.

Noodle
09-23-2010, 01:48 PM

Mason is averaging 2.75 tackles a year to Gould's 1.17. That's a 135% more tackles per year. He is a stud. (Hmmm.... Mr. Stock could we get this fixed please)

I know you're kind of kidding here, but Mason really has impressed me with his willingness to make the occasional tackle. I seem to recall him having a particularly good one against the Eagles a few years ago. He squares up ok and uses his hips pretty well.

Quit laughing, I'm serious!

ThunderDan
09-23-2010, 02:26 PM

I know you're kind of kidding here, but Mason really has impressed me with his willingness to make the occasional tackle. I seem to recall him having a particularly good one against the Eagles a few years ago. He squares up ok and uses his hips pretty well.

I am and I am not. Mason isn't afraid to stick his nose in there and make a tackle. I just want him not to have to.

Scott Campbell
09-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Mason is a real football player - not just a kicker. He was a DB in high school, and the fundamental tacking skill shows on coverage.