View Full Version : Marquand Manuel Leader of Secondary - Directs fr.Sidelines

woodbuck27
08-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Secondary lacks primary
Leader of squad forced to direct from sideline

By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Aug. 3, 2006

Green Bay - No one seems to know exactly when Marquand Manuel, the veteran safety signed this off-season to a five-year, $10 million contract by the Green Bay Packers, will be able to join his teammates on the practce field.

But they are greatly anticipating it.

"The funny thing about that, he's not on the field but if he's on the sideline he's calling out the (offense's) plays," cornerback Ahmad Carroll said. "We're doing a great job on defense without him, but I know when he comes back we're going to be terrorizing our opponents."

General manager Ted Thompson paid Manuel $2 million in bonuses because he thought the former Seattle Seahawks starter could come in and run the Packers' secondary. Thompson thought the unit lacked a conductor, and in particular needed someone who could mentor young safety Nick Collins and free him to use his playmaking ability.

So far, however, Manuel hasn't stepped on the field in training camp because of a nagging right calf injury. He rehabilitates during specific times and then spends the rest of his day on the sideline talking with fellow defensive backs about what they're seeing on the field.

"We expect him to be back," secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer said. "Without question it won't be a problem. This isn't what we want, but it's helped Marviel (Underwood) and the three other young guys get more reps."

Manuel came to the Packers with the reputation for spending more time in film rooms than a movie critic. Though not the most physically gifted athlete, his attention to detail allows him to identify the plays teams are running against the defense before the ball is snapped.

For someone like Carroll, that kind of information is invaluable.

"I listened to him a couple times in OTAs and I made a play," Carroll said, referring to the organized team activities earlier this summer. "I'm going to listen to him. He knows what he's talking about."

The problem is he's doing all of his talking from the sideline for now. Often times, he kneels down, his calf wrapped up in an ace bandage, and surveys the offense. Other times, he's in the ear of a young defensive back.

In meetings, he spends a considerable amount of time with Collins, who will be his running mate at safety when his injury is healed. The two talk a lot about situations and philosophies on how to play the position.

It would be a lot better, however, if they were on the field together doing that. He and Collins got a taste of being together during the earlier sessions, but it was only about 10 practices. Then Manuel hurt his calf in an off-season workout.

"It's not disappointing because we communicate every day," Collins said. "We have meetings solely for communicating. We're going to get the opportunity. He knows me, I know him. We're going to go out there and work together and do what we have to do for this team."

When exactly that is, no one knows for sure. Manuel has not been in the locker room during open media periods and so he has been unavailable for comment.

Coach Mike McCarthy keeps saying Manuel is day-to-day and has not mentioned a target date for his return. Currently, Manuel is on the physically unable to perform list and won't come off it until he passes a team physical.

The Packers are taking a careful approach, which might not be a bad idea considering Manuel is also coming off a groin injury that knocked him out of the Super Bowl against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Beyond Manuel, Collins and Underwood are the two most veteran players at the safety position with one year of experience under their belts, so it's imperative Manuel totally rids himself of the injury.

"He's a real smart dude," Harris said. "He's very smart, very football savvy. I wouldn't say (he's missed) right now because it's still early. Once we get started with pre-season games, hopefully he'll be out there.

"Right now, I just try to pick his mind about schemes. He knows this one better than me and he hasn't played in it yet."

From the Aug. 4, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

GO PACKERS !!

RashanGary
08-04-2006, 04:13 PM
I loved this signing from day one. Manuel is going to take care of buisness and keep everything in order. Collins can do some gambleing and make big plays with his speed and power.

This is a perfect match. I loved everything I heard about Manuel but I couldn't have predicted the guy was this savvy. The guys have mad respect for him.