PDA

View Full Version : Things TT got right

Tony Oday
09-26-2010, 12:34 AM
We have a thread on what he did wrong, what are the things he did right?

1. Drafting AR
2. Getting MM
3. Revamped an old roster to a young elite one
4. Woodson
5. trading up for CMIII

These seem to be the top ones to me. I mean the guy has drafted pretty amazingly.

Smidgeon
09-26-2010, 12:50 AM
Good idea for the thread.

Only in the order in which my mind conceives them:
1) Woodson
2) Pickett
3) 2009 draft (Raji and the Claymaker)
4) Jennings
5) flyers after the first three rounds that have turned into: Brad Jones, Josh Sitton, Matt Flynn
6) Finley
7) Rodgers
8) Collins
9) Extending Tauscher, Woodson, Driver, Collins, Clifton, Rodgers, etc

Tony Oday
09-26-2010, 01:13 AM
I also forgot getting us cap healthy,

HarveyWallbangers
09-26-2010, 01:36 AM
1) Drafting Aaron Rodgers.
2) Signing Charles Woodson.
3) Drafting Clay Matthews.
4) Drafting Greg Jennings.
5) Drafting Jermichael Finley.
6) Drafting Nick Collins.
7) Drafting Josh Sitton.
8) Signing Ryan Pickett.
9) Trading a late round pick for Ryan Grant.
10a) I like Mike McCarthy, so I'm putting up hiring Mike McCarthy. And I like that McCarthy hired Joe Philbin and Dom Capers. Not sure if Thompson had a hand in that.
10b) Healthy cap situation. Retaining most of the best players we have.

Other good moves: Drafting Matt Flynn, James Jones, and Jordy Nelson. Signing undrafted FA Tramon Williams. Signing John Kuhn and Brandon Chillar.

Potential good moves: Drafting B.J. Raji, Bryan Bulaga, Mike Neal, and Morgan Burnett. Signing undrafted rookie FA Sam Shields.

HarveyWallbangers
09-26-2010, 01:44 AM
Jordy was iffy. There are other players better than Nelson, but I think it was mostly a good pick when you look at the WRs around him. Sure, not drafting DeSean Jackson was a mistake, but I'd take Jordy over most, if not all, of the other WRs taken in round 2 that year. Jordy's never really gotten a shot to start because of our depth. Most of the others got a shot, but failed. Eddie Royal is the only other one that you'd find fault with, but he's kind of a one-trick pony.

33 Donnie Avery WR Houston St. Louis Rams
34 Devin Thomas WR Michigan State Washington Redskins
36 Jordy Nelson WR Kansas State Green Bay Packers
41 James Hardy WR Indiana Buffalo Bills
42 Eddie Royal WR Virginia Tech Denver Broncos
46 Jerome Simpson WR Coastal Carolina Cincinnati Bengals
49 DeSean Jackson WR California Philadelphia Eagles
51 Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma Washington Redskins
53 Limas Sweed WR Texas Pittsburgh Steelers
58 Dexter Jackson WR Appalachian State Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Guiness
09-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Sitton is definitely one of those things that helps a team immensely.

2nd day pick that steps in pretty close to day 1, and looks by all accounts to be a guy that you write down in ink as a starter for a decade.

btw anyone seen his picture up on the team website lately? Looks like he's taking hairstyle advice from the guy starting just to his right!

http://prod.static.packers.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/GB/photos/persons/player-cards/Sitton_John.jpg
http://prod.static.packers.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/GB/photos/persons/player-cards/Tauscher_Mark.jpg

bobblehead
09-26-2010, 04:51 AM
So long as he doesn't take body shaping advice.

Tony Oday
09-26-2010, 08:08 AM
The Pack seems to roll with one hairstyle per position :)

Fritz
09-26-2010, 08:41 AM
I know it's too early to say this, but I'm gonna say it anyway: this year's draft class.

RashanGary
09-26-2010, 09:18 AM
1) Drafting Aaron Rodgers.
2) Signing Charles Woodson.
3) Drafting Clay Matthews.
4) Drafting Greg Jennings.
5) Drafting Jermichael Finley.
6) Drafting Nick Collins.
7) Drafting Josh Sitton.
8) Signing Ryan Pickett.
9) Trading a late round pick for Ryan Grant.
10a) I like Mike McCarthy, so I'm putting up hiring Mike McCarthy. And I like that McCarthy hired Joe Philbin and Dom Capers. Not sure if Thompson had a hand in that.
10b) Healthy cap situation. Retaining most of the best players we have.

Other good moves: Drafting Matt Flynn, James Jones, and Jordy Nelson. Signing undrafted FA Tramon Williams. Signing John Kuhn and Brandon Chillar.

Potential good moves: Drafting B.J. Raji, Bryan Bulaga, Mike Neal, and Morgan Burnett. Signing undrafted rookie FA Sam Shields.

Nice list

packerbacker1234
09-26-2010, 09:43 AM
So long as he doesn't take body shaping advice.

Why not? Taucher has been a damn good RT for what, a decade now? Obviously whatever his body shape in has been a great fit for what he does.

Smidgeon
09-26-2010, 02:58 PM
In Tauscher's picture, he seems to be rocking the Middle Ages Three Musketeer look. I half expect him to pick of a foil and challenge the Cardinal's guards to a duel...

mraynrand
09-26-2010, 08:02 PM
In Tauscher's picture, he seems to be rocking the Middle Ages Three Musketeer look. I half expect him to pick of a foil and challenge the Cardinal's guards to a duel...

"Fat Fencing" - the new reality show on TLC.

"Yes I do bite my thumb, sir, but not necessarily at you sir!"

"En garde!"

MadtownPacker
09-27-2010, 11:22 AM
The thing TT did right was do everything his way and not give a fuck what anyone else had to say about it. Now this season is turning into a "I told you so" year for him.

Fritz
09-27-2010, 01:21 PM
The thing TT did right was do everything his way and not give a fuck what anyone else had to say about it. Now this season is turning into a "I told you so" year for him.

This is an excellent point. Ted's big F.U. to his critics is his greatest achievement.

sharpe1027
09-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Not resigning Walker.

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Not resigning Walker.

Shouldn't that go on the list of good things he's done?

MadtownPacker
09-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Not resigning Walker.

Shouldn't that go on the list of good things he's done?Stop being a dumb hick for minute. The thread says things TT did right. Not signing JWalk turned out to be a great move aka something he did right. Tweaker.

VegasPackFan
09-27-2010, 04:04 PM
I think I remember alot of TT haters ripping him for taking Jennings over Chad Jackson. LOL!

Another success was not giving into the diva's antics and insisting that she join the team in offseason activities after reaching the NFCC game.

How about NOT signing all those veteran FA's that didnt pan out with anyone else anyway....

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Not resigning Walker.

Shouldn't that go on the list of good things he's done?Stop being a dumb hick for minute. The thread says things TT did right. Not signing JWalk turned out to be a great move aka something he did right. Tweaker.

Haha. Thought I was in the boner thread. For old time's sake, can I just tell you to f*ck off?
:D

MadtownPacker
09-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Not resigning Walker.

Haha. Thought I was in the boner thread. For old time's sake, can I just tell you to f*ck off?
:DYou might as well cuz at this point you are fucked on editing your post since I quoted you. Where did your trailer park end up moving? :D

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2010, 04:35 PM
You might as well cuz at this point you are fucked on editing your post since I quoted you. Where did your trailer park end up moving? :D

Right next to your tent.

Darren Sharper = Super Bowl ring

How do you like me now?

MadtownPacker
09-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Right next to your tent.

Darren Sharper = Super Bowl ring

How do you like me now?The tents are just used in the mountains for growing weed,

Shit I never thought about that. Problem was:

Darren Sharper + Packers = Making T.O famous.

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2010, 04:46 PM
The tents are just used in the mountains for growing weed,

And the dude from Philly--although not famous enough for me to remember his name. That 49ers game still kills me. Owens was having a terrible time against the Packers in his career. I think he dropped more balls than caught up to that point. He was having a horrible game too. We made him a hero.

Zool
09-27-2010, 04:47 PM

And the dude from Philly--although not famous enough for me to remember his name. That 49ers game still kills me. Owens was having a terrible time against the Packers in his career. I think he dropped more balls than caught up to that point. He was having a horrible game too. We made him a hero.

All cause Sharper hits like a featherweight. I still remember that game very vividly.

Brandon494
09-27-2010, 04:49 PM

instant replay = we win that game.

And the WR you are thinking of is Freddie Mitchel who as a 1st round pick did shit in the NFL which made that catch even worse.

VegasPackFan
09-27-2010, 04:49 PM

Well, Rice fumbled before that and we got jobbed. Should have never come down to it.

ThunderDan
09-27-2010, 04:54 PM

And the WR you are thinking of is Freddie Mitchel who as a 1st round pick did shit in the NFL which made that catch even worse.

Instant Replay didn't equal a victory. Refs blew the play down. They did replay if I remeber correctly but said because it was whistled dead SF retains the ball.

I think this is the play where they started to allow continuation after the whistle to determine possesion or shortly therafter.

Guiness
09-27-2010, 04:59 PM

All cause Sharper hits like a featherweight. I still remember that game very vividly.

The goal line play had nothing to do with Sharper hitting like Betty White. He actually clocked him, IIRC giving him a concussion. Problem was Sharper was a day late and a dollar short on that play.

Brandon494
09-27-2010, 05:09 PM

Instant Replay didn't equal a victory. Refs blew the play down. They did replay if I remeber correctly but said because it was whistled dead SF retains the ball.

I think this is the play where they started to allow continuation after the whistle to determine possesion or shortly therafter.

full instant replay with on-field challenges. If that play is made in todays game its a fumble and Packers ball.

Guiness
09-27-2010, 05:11 PM
The way the whole JWalk thing played out was such an enigma. He HADN'T been a diva up to that point. At least half of it was a 'second contract' thing, and an agent whispering in his ear?

The other half of it was that it seems he never really recovered from the knee injury. He actually made the right call in wanting his money early, the injury hurt his earning power - with some other teams/GM's he might've gotten somewhere with his demands for renegotiation. I'm sure him leaving was a lot about TT wanting a 'prove it' year out of him after the injury, and the Broncos willing to pay him immediately.

I admit I was not at all happy at the time about a Pro Bowl receiver leaving for a 2nd round pick. Even a first round pick doesn't even guarantee you a starter, forget pro-bowler, but hindsight is 20-20, and it was the right move.

Smidgeon
09-27-2010, 05:37 PM
The way the whole JWalk thing played out was such an enigma. He HADN'T been a diva up to that point. At least half of it was a 'second contract' thing, and an agent whispering in his ear?

The other half of it was that it seems he never really recovered from the knee injury. He actually made the right call in wanting his money early, the injury hurt his earning power - with some other teams/GM's he might've gotten somewhere with his demands for renegotiation. I'm sure him leaving was a lot about TT wanting a 'prove it' year out of him after the injury, and the Broncos willing to pay him immediately.

I admit I was not at all happy at the time about a Pro Bowl receiver leaving for a 2nd round pick. Even a first round pick doesn't even guarantee you a starter, forget pro-bowler, but hindsight is 20-20, and it was the right move.

But didn't he get a ton of money from the Broncos and then the Raiders? Seems to me his earning power didn't diminish too badly until the Raiders parted ways.

mraynrand
09-27-2010, 05:39 PM

But didn't he get a ton of money from the Broncos and then the Raiders? Seems to me his earning power didn't diminish too badly until the Raiders parted ways.

remember how much we loved Rosenpenis?

http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/drew514.jpg

Guiness
09-27-2010, 06:06 PM

He did sign a contract with the Raiders which included $16mil guaranteed. Which is a laugher, because I'm not sure anyone else in the league would've given him $16, forget $16mil. Remember the Broncos couldn't trade him, and released him outright.

I wonder if he got that money though. The Raiders managed to get out from under their contract with DeAngelo Hall, only paying him $8mil of a contract that guaranteed him 24.