PDA

View Full Version : How to Beat the Packers (the "I'm Bitter" Thread)

Smidgeon
09-27-2010, 11:14 PM
1) Cause the Packers' O-line to jump offsides by jumping into the neutral zone; get the refs to call it on the Packers
2) Have a big D-lineman jump on top of the QB's head while he's falling down after a throw; get the refs to not call it
3) Tackle the QB by the head; get the refs to not call it
4) Block Matthews by putting an arm around his neck when he gets past the tackle; have the refs not call it
5) See 4
6) I have more, but the ones I'm not putting down I know are stretches...

Iron Mike
09-27-2010, 11:16 PM
There were quite a few "leading with the helmet" tackles I saw that never got called...

Smidgeon
09-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Yeah. I usually have a really hard time blaming the refs because I believe they try to be as fair as possible. But there's no way when two teams are slugging it out that only one is committing all the penalties. It was a dirty game (which is fine) but the penalties were 17-3 Packers. Only three against the Bears?!?

channtheman
09-27-2010, 11:29 PM
7. Have obvious block in back and hold on punt return for a TD not seen by the refs.
8. Make sure that a defender and a receiver both fighting for the ball (even though it is equal battling) be called defensive pass interference.

Smidgeon
09-27-2010, 11:40 PM
9) The unnecessary roughness call on Collins. The runner wasn't down yet.

jmbarnes101
09-27-2010, 11:40 PM
7. Have obvious block in back and hold on punt return for a TD not seen by the refs.
8. Make sure that a defender and a receiver both fighting for the ball (even though it is equal battling) be called defensive pass interference.

Amen.

channtheman
09-27-2010, 11:42 PM

Earlier in the game the exact thing happened to Jordy Nelson, no call. I told my brothers and dad that same exact shit would be called on us... and surprise! It was.

denverYooper
09-27-2010, 11:49 PM
1) Cause the Packers' O-line to jump offsides by jumping into the neutral zone; get the refs to call it on the Packers
2) Have a big D-lineman jump on top of the QB's head while he's falling down after a throw; get the refs to not call it
4) Block Matthews by putting an arm around his neck when he gets past the tackle; have the refs not call it
5) See 4

I *did* see 4 happen quite a bit. I was surprised that didn't get called more with some of the holding calls we had that were legit but not as obvious.

Freak Out
09-27-2010, 11:55 PM
5) See 4

I *did* see 4 happen quite a bit. I was surprised that didn't get called more with some of the holding calls we had that were legit but not as obvious.

There was probably a bunch of holding of Peppers that wasn't called as well....we made to many dumb mistakes to overcome.

mission
09-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Let's not forget the fumble early on that Woodson stripped but the play was blown dead. Just a ridiculous discrepancy in favor from the officials.

channtheman
09-28-2010, 12:09 AM
Let's not forget the fumble early on that Woodson stripped but the play was blown dead. Just a ridiculous discrepancy in favor from the officials.

Good call. Clearly was a fumble yet it was blown dead? That was a sign of the shitfest that was to come.

mmmdk
09-28-2010, 06:38 AM
It all depends; what do you expect from Packers head coach & coaching staff? Players too.

I strongly believe Packers have the players to contend but I sense too many are content with what McCarthy brings to the table.

McCarthy is a great teacher but a lousy OC - he could still be HC but step down as playcaller. I'd try that but it won't happen.

So enjoy the probable "more wins than losses" season and a big maybe on a playoff "W".

Spare me the "it's still early in season" song 'cos what has that got to do with McCarthy being a lousy, lousy OC?

I want Packers to win Super Bowls but I boldly (hardly actually) predict it will never happen with McCarthy at the helm.

Still luv'em Packers :pack:

sheepshead
09-28-2010, 07:50 AM
Vince was quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocV5bGHdYag

MichiganPackerFan
09-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Our mistakes were terrible, but they could have been overcome with balanced officiating. It's a travesty for the game that there is no accountability for officiating. Above is a good list of things that should have been called both ways. If we were beaten by the bears, I could deal with that and move on, but to lose by 3 when the officiating was THAT fucked up is intensely frustrating.

Cleft Crusty
09-28-2010, 08:41 AM
McCarthy is a great teacher but a lousy OC - he could still be HC but step down as playcaller. I'd try that but it won't happen.

What the hell are you talking about? Did you watch the game? The playcalling was outstanding. The Packers moved the ball efficiently and controlled the clock. They should have scored up to 20 more points. McCarthy can't catch perfectly thrown bombs. He can't not grab a small piece of uniform on a TD pass. He can't prevent helmet to helmet contact on a great sack. He can't hold onto the ball for a receiver. He can't prevent offensive interference from being called defensive interference. Etc. etc. Whom do you want to call plays? What evidence do you have that they would be better?

Cleft Crusty
09-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Our mistakes were terrible, but they could have been overcome with balanced officiating. It's a travesty for the game that there is no accountability for officiating. Above is a good list of things that should have been called both ways. If we were beaten by the bears, I could deal with that and move on, but to lose by 3 when the officiating was THAT fucked up is intensely frustrating.

It's comforting to Clefty to see there are at least a few sore losers on this forum. That's good and bitter old school football.

retailguy
09-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Wow. Really? We're going to cherry pick officiating calls?

Face it. We didn't deserve to win. We should have won, but we didn't.

15-1 isn't bad... Hopefully this is our 2010 Tampa game. If it isn't we don't deserve to be in the Super Bowl.

mraynrand
09-28-2010, 09:07 AM
We're going to cherry pick officiating calls?

There are a lot of cherries to pick

retailguy
09-28-2010, 09:10 AM

And so little time! :P

If you don't actually commit a foul, it's pretty damn difficult to call one, and virtually impossible to call 18....

We lost this game. Officiating had little to do with it. Our shitty play? Sounds more like it to me.

MichiganPackerFan
09-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Our play had a lot to do with not blowing them out, but to lose by THREE with that lopsided of officiating? That COMPLETELY played into the outcome. No, its not the exclusive reason, but call SOME things the same way for BOTH sides and it isn't a three point loss anymore, its a win.

MadtownPacker
09-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Wow. Really? We're going to cherry pick officiating calls?

Face it. We didn't deserve to win. We should have won, but we didn't.

15-1 isn't bad... Hopefully this is our 2010 Tampa game. If it isn't we don't deserve to be in the Super Bowl.Have to agree RG. Pack dominated in pretty much every way and regardless of the bad calls still controlled their own fate until James Jones let victory slip out of his hands. That set off the final series of unfortunate events from the challenge to letting the clock get milked.

sharpe1027
09-28-2010, 10:10 AM
The Packers made critical mistakes completely separate from any penalties and many of the 17 penalties were legit. No matter how bad the officials were, the Packer players deserve most of the blame for losing that game.

imscott72
09-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Our tackles are a big problem. Every team is going to see on film now that we have a serious weakness on the OL at the tackle position. It's time to move Clifton to backup. I'm not quite ready to replace Tausch, but it's getting damn close. Get Bulaga in there now.

bobblehead
09-28-2010, 11:14 AM

And so little time! :P

If you don't actually commit a foul, it's pretty damn difficult to call one, and virtually impossible to call 18....

We lost this game. Officiating had little to do with it. Our shitty play? Sounds more like it to me.

Its a tough game....a game of inches. In such a game being on the wrong side of 17-3 is pretty bad. My only real complaint about the officiating was the disparity in the holding calls between our OL and theirs. Most calls in isolation can be viewed and understood, but when you call Tausch for tugging a jersey, but allow Clay to be clotheslined repeatedly and allow someone to sit on Rodgers head in the open field....well, that can only be viewed as lopsided. Oh, and I forgot about the 2 point takedown on Jenkins I saw in the 2nd half.

imscott72
09-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Stop blaming the officials. Sure there were some poor calls, but teams make their own luck on the field. If the FG doesn't get blocked the game is tied, if JJ doesn't fumble a good chance we win, if our tackles didn't have to hold everybody to block we don't have all those penalties. Lots of things that were in our control that we fucked up.

HarveyWallbangers
09-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Our tackles are a big problem. Every team is going to see on film now that we have a serious weakness on the OL at the tackle position. It's time to move Clifton to backup. I'm not quite ready to replace Tausch, but it's getting damn close. Get Bulaga in there now.

I think Tauscher has been even worse than Clifton this year. I'm thinking we may have to get Bulaga ready to start at RT. Sad to see.

imscott72
09-28-2010, 11:36 AM

I think Tauscher has been even worse than Clifton this year. I'm thinking we may have to get Bulaga ready to start at RT. Sad to see.

They've both been bad definitely. I'd like to see more Lang at RT. Why they don't start Bulaga is beyond me.

denverYooper
09-28-2010, 11:36 AM

+1. Good to have Tausch as a veteran backup but his starting days look to be behind him.

denverYooper
09-28-2010, 11:46 AM

They've both been bad definitely. I'd like to see more Lang at RT. Why they don't start Bulaga is beyond me.

Clifton played fairly well against Pepp except for the a case of the jumpsies. Considering his opponent, he probably gets a pass. Tausch got completely wasted several times. Inside, outside, wherever.

If Bulaga is not starting the next game I will be flabbergasted.

Not sure what's up with Lang ATM. He's been a gameday inactive for a while. He was out of TC for a while and missed out on an RT shot, IMHO. It wouldn't shock me if they gave him a look soon.

mmmdk
09-28-2010, 11:56 AM

What the hell are you talking about? Did you watch the game? The playcalling was outstanding. The Packers moved the ball efficiently and controlled the clock. They should have scored up to 20 more points. McCarthy can't catch perfectly thrown bombs. He can't not grab a small piece of uniform on a TD pass. He can't prevent helmet to helmet contact on a great sack. He can't hold onto the ball for a receiver. He can't prevent offensive interference from being called defensive interference. Etc. etc. Whom do you want to call plays? What evidence do you have that they would be better?

McCarthy is a lousy headcoach hence he's a lousy OC and 18 penalties is way too much and he throws the red flag blindly.

McCarthy did ok, even great on two drives but even a blind squirrel finds a nut. But McCarthy is more than just a playcaller, he's HC, he's the backbone of the team. And that shows - badly.

I've got all his games from his GB tenure & I even followed him in NO (where he showed promise). I know little of his time in SF. He's still not the answer in GB (gut feeling).

There's no evidence that a new OC would do better; this isn't scientific Mr. Cleft Clumsy. You called out "playcaller" in my post and took it out of context. And that, my clowny friend, was due to you taking this eerily personal on behalf of McCarthy - so be it.
I sense "the big slide" in your posting, or rather, your-jack-in-box appearances. An advice; when you attack a post then read it all or did you even read the post entirely?...that's as dumb as your attack was but it illustrates it clearly.

Mike II had the same problem with too many hats as does Mike III...Mike I wanted all the hats in GB, got them in Seattle and he actually nearly did it.
It won't work! Mike without too many hats might work or the lousiness continues - lousy as in not winning a super bowl.

NB - Dang, and Mike III isn't even wearing that many hats compared to the other Mikes.

Pugger
09-28-2010, 11:57 AM

But the whistle had clearly blown so the play was over. The panda's forward progress was stopped. Collins should have just let it go but he didn't.

Pugger
09-28-2010, 12:00 PM

+1

Except MM is terrible when it comes to challenges! Someone should hide that red hankerchief away from him on game day! :evil:

mmmdk
09-28-2010, 12:01 PM

+1

Except MM is terrible when it comes to challenges! Someone should hide that red hankerchief away from him on game day! :evil:

-1 but not on red flag

imscott72
09-28-2010, 12:04 PM

McCarthy is a lousy headcoach hence he's a lousy OC and 18 penalties is way too much and he throws the red flag blindly.

McCarthy did ok, even great on two drives but even a blind squirrel finds a nut. But McCarthy is more than just a playcaller, he's HC, he's the backbone of the team. And that shows - badly.

I've got all his games from his GB tenure & I even followed him in NO (where he showed promise). I know little of his time in SF. He's still not the answer in GB (gut feeling).

There's no evidence that a new OC would do better; this isn't scientific Mr. Cleft Clumsy. You called out "playcaller" in my post and took it out of context. And that, my clowny friend, was due to you taking this eerily personal on behalf of McCarthy - so be it.
I sense "the big slide" in your posting, or rather, your-jack-in-box appearances. An advice; when you attack a post then read it all or did you even read the post entirely?...that's as dumb as your attack was but it illustrates it clearly.

Mike II had the same problem with too many hats as does Mike III...Mike I wanted all the hats in GB, got them in Seattle and he actually nearly did it.
It won't work! Mike without too many hats might work or the lousiness continues - lousy as in not winning a super bowl.

NB - Dang, and Mike III isn't even wearing that many hats compared to the other Mikes.

I don't agree with you at all. I agree with Cleft that the playcalling was excellent. Moving the ball on the Bears wasn't the problem. As far as the penalties, you know they address them in practice. What else is MM suppose to do? It's about discipline from the players to stop fucking it up. It's Shawn Slocum that needs his head on a platter, not MM.

Pugger
09-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Stop blaming the officials. Sure there were some poor calls, but teams make their own luck on the field. If the FG doesn't get blocked the game is tied, if JJ doesn't fumble a good chance we win, if our tackles didn't have to hold everybody to block we don't have all those penalties. Lots of things that were in our control that we fucked up.

Yes, lets stop acting like queen fans. The fellas played like crap and still had a chance to win it but we didn't deserve to win. We'll meet up with those stinkin' bares later on. They played about as well as they can and only won because of our ineptitude. Let's regroup and take out our frustrations on the loins on Sunday.

Pugger
09-28-2010, 12:08 PM

I'd rather have our tackles hold Peppers rather than have that creap injure Rodgers. Do you truly think Lang and Bulaga would have fared any better against a guy like Peppers?? This is only one game. We'll see those clowns again later on. By then Bulaga and Lang might be ready for a guy like that but they aren't now.

Cleft Crusty
09-28-2010, 12:33 PM

Let's walk through your points. First, I couldn't care less about supporting McCarthy. I can let you know all the things I think are flawed with this guy, but playcalling, coordinating the offense and coaching QBs are not among them.

I'm sorry I can't put your logic together: "McCarthy is a great teacher but a lousy OC - he could still be HC but step down as playcaller. I'd try that but it won't happen. McCarthy is a lousy headcoach hence he's a lousy OC..."

And just How many hats is McCarthy wearing (You contrdadict yourself here as well)? He is not the GM and he has a former head coach completely in charge of the defense. In essence, he really only has to worry about the offense. Is that too much for him? Certainly not based on fact. He's had three and half high output offensive seasons, following a year and a half total roster overhaul. What game are you watching?

You say as HC he is the backbone of the team and it's showing badly. OK, compared to what? Four seasons, 1-2 in two playoff appearances. He's easily in the upper quarter of NFL coaches based on wins/losses and playoff appearances. What is your criteria?

Gut feeling. OK, go ahead and have this, but it's meaningless. Clefty has lots of gut feelings, but it's mostly indigestion from too much kielbasa and limburger cheese.

mngolf19
09-28-2010, 12:38 PM

Yes, lets stop acting like queen fans. The fellas played like crap and still had a chance to win it but we didn't deserve to win. We'll meet up with those stinkin' bares later on. They played about as well as they can and only won because of our ineptitude. Let's regroup and take out our frustrations on the loins on Sunday.

heh, heh :roll: Pugger, send me those fans names and I'll personnally ridicule them.

Look, anyone can find calls they didn't like or thought should have been called. The part that tells you there is a problem is that this has become the norm for MMs teams. That is where the problem lies unless you think the players are all bad and I don't think that is the case.

ThunderDan
09-28-2010, 12:40 PM

The issue is the lopsidedness of the calls. The Bears were doing the exact same thing as the Packers but no flags were flying. THis game should ahve been more like the BALT/GB game last year with 10+ penalties called on both teams.

I DVRed so many plays it drove me nuts. The punt return by Hester, D Martin gets grabbed inside his jersey on the shoulder pads misses the tackle by 4 feet and the refs don't throw a flag. (Grunden was giving Hester the love on the super slow-mo replay and in the bottom right hand side of the screen Martins jersey is extended about 8 inches) Briggs launches himself helmet first into Nelson's upper chest and helmet and no call. Clay Mathews gets held and then flung down by the back of his helmet.

I can justify most of the calls on the Packers. I just can't justify the non-calls on the Bears.

Freak Out
09-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Home cookin......and I think Blago was involved somehow......or the Mayor.

MichiganPackerFan
09-28-2010, 12:58 PM
The issue is the lopsidedness of the calls. The Bears were doing the exact same thing as the Packers but no flags were flying. THis game should ahve been more like the BALT/GB game last year with 10+ penalties called on both teams.

I DVRed so many plays it drove me nuts. The punt return by Hester, D Martin gets grabbed inside his jersey on the shoulder pads misses the tackle by 4 feet and the refs don't throw a flag. (Grunden was giving Hester the love on the super slow-mo replay and in the bottom right hand side of the screen Martins jersey is extended about 8 inches) Briggs launches himself helmet first into Nelson's upper chest and helmet and no call. Clay Mathews gets held and then flung down by the back of his helmet.

I can justify most of the calls on the Packers. I just can't justify the non-calls on the Bears.

Exactly.

retailguy
09-28-2010, 01:02 PM

I completely disagree with this whole premis.

Sometimes the calls fall your way, and sometimes they don't. Last night they didn't. We lost. Based on the way we played, we deserved to lose.

Yeah, there were missed calls, but overall, the Bears played a much more disciplined game than we did.

ThunderDan
09-28-2010, 01:25 PM

Sometimes the calls fall your way, and sometimes they don't. Last night they didn't. We lost. Based on the way we played, we deserved to lose.

Yeah, there were missed calls, but overall, the Bears played a much more disciplined game than we did.

So when a DL jumps on your QB's head well after the play is over right by the ref and there is no call you don't think there is an issue? Zombo goes head to chin and gets called.

Nelson gets "crowned" by Briggs with everyone watching and no call? Collins dump Hester on the ground and gets called.

Mathews gets thrown to the turf by the back of his helmet? Tauscher gets called on a hold on Peppers for wrapping him up around the head.

These are all player safety issues. All of them should have been called.

We played sloppy and poorly but should have won. If we had played well also (cleaned up ST and penalties) we win by 17 or more points.

retailguy
09-28-2010, 01:31 PM

So when a DL jumps on your QB's head well after the play is over right by the ref and there is no call you don't think there is an issue? Zombo goes head to chin and gets called.

Nelson gets "crowned" by Briggs with everyone watching and no call? Collins dump Hester on the ground and gets called.

Mathews gets thrown to the turf by the back of his helmet? Tauscher gets called on a hold on Peppers for wrapping him up around the head.

These are all player safety issues. All of them should have been called.

We played sloppy and poorly but should have won. If we had played well also (cleaned up ST and penalties) we win by 17 or more points.

I'd respect this analysis a whole lot more if we analyzed every game from this angle. But we don't. Things don't get called in every game. There were probably more calls that the Packers could have been penalized for that weren't. But when we win? No one wants to look at what calls were missed. But there are ALWAYS calls that are missed.

Player safety issues? Really? That's what you're concerned about? I'm concerned because we lost, and that we looked like crap while doing it.

"IF" we did things differently, we might have won by more than 17 points. BUT WE DIDN'T. So, I'm not talking about "if". I'm talking about what I saw last night.

I saw our team play the most undisiciplined game of football that I've seen in a while. I saw a lesser talented opponent capitalize on those mistakes, and play a more disciplined game of football last night than we did, and walk away with a victory they shouldn't have had. But they have it. Fair and square by the rules defined by the NFL.

None of the rest of this stuff matters to me.

sharpe1027
09-28-2010, 01:42 PM

The Packers had many non-calls too. It probably shouldn't have been 17 penalties to 3, but it was lopsided more because of the Packers play than because of the refs.

I do think they got the short end of the stick, I just think they deserved most of their penalties and I don't think anything excuses the loss.

ThunderDan
09-28-2010, 01:45 PM
I'd respect this analysis a whole lot more if we analyzed every game from this angle. But we don't. Things don't get called in every game. There were probably more calls that the Packers could have been penalized for that weren't. But when we win? No one wants to look at what calls were missed. But there are ALWAYS calls that are missed.

Player safety issues? Really? That's what you're concerned about? I'm concerned because we lost, and that we looked like crap while doing it.

"IF" we did things differently, we might have won by more than 17 points. BUT WE DIDN'T. So, I'm not talking about "if". I'm talking about what I saw last night.

I saw our team play the most undisiciplined game of football that I've seen in a while. I saw a lesser talented opponent capitalize on those mistakes, and play a more disciplined game of football last night than we did, and walk away with a victory they shouldn't have had. But they have it. Fair and square by the rules defined by the NFL.

None of the rest of this stuff matters to me.

Some of us do go back and watch every game more than once and look at these issues. I want to know who is to blame or praise after ever Packer game. I use to do the Studs and Duds column on the home page and I try to analyze every game to see who needs to improve and who played well.

In this game I see 4 areas that caused the loss.
1. Special Teams
2. Penalties
3. Officiating
4. MM poor last 2:20 of game management

Cleaning up the first 2 lead to a victory. A balanced officating crew and we win the game. If MM had thought things thru to finish off the game we might have gotten the ball back with enough time to tie the game.

If I am MM now I have points to work on for next week. Clean up 1 & 2 and review what led to 4 and don't let it happen again.

Smidgeon
09-28-2010, 02:13 PM

But that's the point of this thread. To be unreasonably (or reasonably) bitter and let all those frustrations out. Thus why it's subtitled "The 'I'm Bitter' Thread".