PDA

View Full Version : Why not let them score?

MadtownPacker
09-27-2010, 11:15 PM
So at the end if M3 lets them score with almost a minute left on the clock does the O move it right down the field like they where doing all game long?

I would have preffered to take my chances that way then letting them kick the FG. Why didnt McCarthy?

Little Whiskey
09-27-2010, 11:17 PM
who has that picture of the guy bent over with his head up his ass! that was mccarthy tonight

Fosco33
09-27-2010, 11:17 PM
So at the end if M3 lets them score with almost a minute left on the clock does the O move it right down the field like they where doing all game long?

I would have preffered to take my chances that way then letting them kick the FG. Why didnt McCarthy?

+1 - or at least had another timeout after yet another dumb M3 challenge

channtheman
09-27-2010, 11:18 PM
If you have 3 timeouts, stop them. Then you have about a minute to tie with a field goal or win with a TD. With only two timeouts, you have to let them score so you have a minute and a half and 2 timeouts to tie.

Guess which fucking idiot tackled the RB on first down? Hawk. What a loser idiot.

MadtownPacker
09-27-2010, 11:19 PM

+1 - or at least had another timeout after yet another dumb M3 challengeI dont even fault him for the challenge cuz at first I thought the bear had stepped out of bounds too. NOt a good call but at least the game hadnt been decided yet. The goal line situation was where the desperation move was in order.

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2010, 11:23 PM

Agreed. That would have been the same move as Holmgren did in the Super Bowl, but both times it was/would have been the right call. Chance of them missing, basically, an XP? Probably about 2%. Chance of us scoring a TD with 1:30 left and a timeout? Not great, but way better than 2%.

mission
09-27-2010, 11:24 PM
On the very first play after the penalty you could see the Bears running back was focused on getting to the endzone and going up by 7. After that there was a bit of tentativeness as if they had a chance to discuss the situation and decided to run the clock down for a FG. That first play was the one to let them score and give yourself a chance to take the game to overtime.

I dont think you can count on them missing an extra point. The percentages are just far less than the probability of (driving for 7 with 1:20 on the clock)(somehow winning in OT). It's a simple equation. Gotta play the numbers.

Anyway, I hope MM uses this game to drive a cattle prod up the teams' ass. Him too.

And fuck these refs. I might have been ok if they hadn't turned a blind eye to many critical no-calls *against* the Pack tonight. The holding on the PR was super obvious and less IMO than Tauscher's hold on the Finley TD.

MadtownPacker
09-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Ok so if Harv agrees with this I must not be tripping because he never agrees with shit I say. I just can't believe he or his assistants would not acknowledge the time situation. IMO that is what they did by letting the clock run.

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Ok so if Harv agrees with this I must not be tripping because he never agrees with shit I say. I just can't believe he or his assistants would not acknowledge the time situation. IMO that is what they did by letting the clock run.

Of course, fans still bitch about Holmgren letting the Broncos score--even though it was the right call. To me anyways.

vince
09-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Neither are great options at that point, but there is a far better chance to have Rodgers drive the team down and score to tie than Gould missing the chipshot.

packerbacker1234
09-27-2010, 11:35 PM
I keep hearing this sentiment:

"we were moving the ball up and down the field all game long".

Sure, by dumping the ball off for 5 yard gains all game long.

We scored 17 points. For a team "going up and down the field all day" - we sure as hell couldn't get in the endzone.

channtheman
09-27-2010, 11:36 PM

We scored 17 points. For a team "going up and down the field all day" - we sure as hell couldn't get in the endzone.

Everytime we got inside the 20 yard line the refs decided to fuck us. And fuck us they did.

packerbacker1234
09-27-2010, 11:39 PM

Everytime we got inside the 20 yard line the refs decided to fuck us. And fuck us they did.

OF the 18 penalties, 16 of them were pretty legit. I watched the same game, and while I am a homer - I simply saw us making mistake after mistake. That has nothing to do with the calls missed against the bears - we played like crap as a team.

I wont put that on the refs.

Also prior to the penalty against Burnett on the final drive, we dropped a GIMME interception.

channtheman
09-27-2010, 11:41 PM

OF the 18 penalties, 16 of them were pretty legit. I watched the same game, and while I am a homer - I simply saw us making mistake after mistake. That has nothing to do with the calls missed against the bears - we played like crap as a team.

I know. I'm just pissed. But I do recall one of the calls a total phantom hold that totally stopped a drive that I think was the one where we got the field goal blocked. I think we would have had 2nd and 3 around the 10.

packerbacker1234
09-27-2010, 11:48 PM
That I believe was a holding call on sitton, and they showed horrible replays for it because they were watching taucher.

If you looked closely on the one replay they showed, you can clearly see Sitton had was beat and had his arm wrapped around the guys neck in the background.

It was the correct call, and that was teh holding penalty that was on the drive that resulted in the blocked FG.

Really, it was poor replay camera work.

channtheman
09-27-2010, 11:57 PM
That I believe was a holding call on sitton, and they showed horrible replays for it because they were watching taucher.

If you looked closely on the one replay they showed, you can clearly see Sitton had was beat and had his arm wrapped around the guys neck in the background.

It was the correct call, and that was teh holding penalty that was on the drive that resulted in the blocked FG.

I remember the Sitton one was a legit hold. There was another one that was BS. Maybe the Finley TD?

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2010, 11:57 PM

OF the 18 penalties, 16 of them were pretty legit.

We did move it up and down, but 18 penalties (16 legit) are hard to overcome. EIGHTEEN penalties--not to mention a short blocked FG and shitty field position all night. Thanks to ARod we moved it up and down the field. Thanks to the rest of the team we took a howitzer to our metatarsus all night.

Freak Out
09-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks to the rest of the team we took a howitzer to our metatarsus all night.

:)

It was a big gun for sure.

Packgator
09-28-2010, 12:10 AM

You are getting on everyone tonight. :D

bobblehead
09-28-2010, 05:14 AM

Also prior to the penalty against Burnett on the final drive, we dropped a GIMME interception.

I agree, a lot of legit calls, but what bothered me is that the bears OL were holding like motherfuckers every play and nary a flag to be seen. If you are going to call a game tight, it goes both ways.

I also agree we weren't going up and down the field on them, but after MM made yet another bonehead challenge and right before Forte ALMOST got in on first down there would have been something like 1:47 on the clock and two timeouts if we let them in. If the bears are smart enough to take a knee every down there is 8 seconds left and an extra point....its a no brainer which is the desireable situation.

vince
09-28-2010, 06:22 AM
18 penalties for 152 yards. New All-time Packer Record.

You break an All-time Packer record, you're doing something unique.

Fritz
09-28-2010, 06:39 AM
I can't believe how lousy the Packers played. Absolutely lousy.

pbmax
09-28-2010, 06:56 AM

They weren't all dumpoffs, and if you are getting YAC like they were, who cares? Finley and the WRs had good catches intermediate over the middle. There wasn't much tried deep.

Penalties stopped three drives. Holding and pre-snap penalties.

I agree, you need to let them score. And you have to consider it when they lost the timeout to the challenge.

I hope the players respond to this better than I am. I barely slept.

MichiganPackerFan
09-28-2010, 08:03 AM
I thought they should let them score too. Give Arod the ball and let him take it down field. I had no problem with Mike McCarthy challenging that play with only 18 seconds left to use a challenge, why not give it a shot? There were a few bad calls against GB but most were deserved. What I'm f*cking pissed about is the lack of calls going the other way. It seems like we've been on the short end of the stick a few times. I understand that life is unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor? (paraphrased from Calvin & Hobbes)

retailguy
09-28-2010, 09:00 AM
18 penalties for 152 yards. New All-time Packer Record.

You break an All-time Packer record, you're doing something unique.

Honestly, I don't think it was "unique".

McCarthy's teams have always struggled with penalties. They've always played "undiciplined football" to an extent.

Last night was the worst, but certainly not the "only" time this has happened.

Realistically it was one game. I'll still be happy with 15-1.

Scott Campbell
09-28-2010, 09:07 AM
That many penalties, and I start looking at the coaching staff. The clock management was horrible. If last night were a playoff game, this could have been McCarthy's 4th and 1 Sherman against the Eagles moment that turned the fan base against him.

mraynrand
09-28-2010, 09:23 AM
That many penalties, and I start looking at the coaching staff. The clock management was horrible. If last night were a playoff game, this could have been McCarthy's 4th and 1 Sherman against the Eagles moment that turned the fan base against him.

That's what the game felt like. Most irritating game since that Divisional loss. By far. Plus, every dumb fuck fan knew they should have let the Bears score at the end to get the ball back. That's like watching your best friend get (redacted) and standing by with a loaded gun doing nothing.

Pugger
09-29-2010, 01:55 AM

I remember the Sitton one was a legit hold. There was another one that was BS. Maybe the Finley TD?

I thought I saw Tauscher had a handful of Peppers' jersey on that negated TD by Finley. What really made the situation a disaster was Sitton get pushed on his rear end and the FG attempt getting blocked.

Pugger
09-29-2010, 02:00 AM
I thought they should let them score too. Give Arod the ball and let him take it down field. I had no problem with Mike McCarthy challenging that play with only 18 seconds left to use a challenge, why not give it a shot? There were a few bad calls against GB but most were deserved. What I'm f*cking pissed about is the lack of calls going the other way. It seems like we've been on the short end of the stick a few times. I understand that life is unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor? (paraphrased from Calvin & Hobbes)

But McCarthy had NO chance of getting that call overturned and we could have used that lost time out. When the bares were down near the goal line we stopped them on 3rd down with almost a minute left in the game. If we could have stopped the clock we would have had some time left for Rodgers to get a couple of long passes and a FG attempt to try to get the game into overtime. But instead Chicago milked the clock down and we only had 8 or 9 seconds left in the game after the winning FG was kicked.

bobblehead
09-29-2010, 04:54 AM

I thought I saw Tauscher had a handful of Peppers' jersey on that negated TD by Finley. What really made the situation a disaster was Sitton get pushed on his rear end and the FG attempt getting blocked.

Having a handful of jersey doesn't make it holding. Every player grabs jersey on the OL on nearly every play. Its where you grab it and how you pull it that matters. If you put mittens on the OL you would likely never see another TD.

MichiganPackerFan
09-29-2010, 07:57 AM

But McCarthy had NO chance of getting that call overturned and we could have used that lost time out. When the bares were down near the goal line we stopped them on 3rd down with almost a minute left in the game. If we could have stopped the clock we would have had some time left for Rodgers to get a couple of long passes and a FG attempt to try to get the game into overtime. But instead Chicago milked the clock down and we only had 8 or 9 seconds left in the game after the winning FG was kicked.

Do you really think the officials wouldn't have thrown yet another flag to give CHI a first down? This game was over from the time Pepper's neutral zone infraction was called against clifton.

Patler
09-29-2010, 08:25 AM

Do you really think the officials wouldn't have thrown yet another flag to give CHI a first down? This game was over from the time Pepper's neutral zone infraction was called against clifton.

I had no problem with the call against Clifton. It's not called against the offense only if it is an instinctive reaction to the defender's movement. Clifton "reacted" way, way too late. Peppers was already going back and resetting (which he is allowed to do) when Clifton got out of his stance.

Clifton tried to catch Peppers with a penalty, but did it poorly.

MOBB DEEP
09-29-2010, 07:29 PM
who has that picture of the guy bent over with his head up his ass! that was mccarthy tonight

lol