PDA

View Full Version : Positives From The Bears Game

ThunderDan
09-28-2010, 08:31 AM
All right, I have gotten over my doom and gloom and have started to accept reality.

The Packers did everything they could do to give the game away in CHI and still almost won.

Our special teams was horrible and the penalties were out of control.

ARod and the offense was excellent. I don't remember us having a short field all night and we had 3 drives of over 6 minutes.

The defense was great. Take away two punt returns and the Bears maybe score 6 points.

Someone else mentioned that if you didn't look at the crap you saw a Packers team that showed it was for real. Now let's get away from the penalties and get special teams back to the 1st 2 weeks.

Cleft Crusty
09-28-2010, 08:45 AM

I guess in Green Bay these count as a positives

ThunderDan
09-28-2010, 12:17 PM

I guess in Green Bay these count as a positives

I think the positives were sentence 4 and 5.

steve823
09-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Positive - Maybe Bulaga will start after that horrid performance by our Tackles.

cheesner
09-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Positives? Well the Packers didn't give up a safety.

Perhaps something good will come of this in that the Packers may rally from this win like last season's loss to Tampa. They have to be thinking "if we just don't make stupid mistakes we can win". Maybe this will inspire more attention to quality of performance in some players.

Hopefully there are a lot of embarrassed players on the team right now.

Fritz
09-28-2010, 04:05 PM
I was troubled by the seeming lack of self-directed criticism of the players and the coaches' seemingly not holding players accountable.

I know you can't just go off on the players all the time, but the players seemed to want to blame the refs and the coaches seemed loathe to say anything other than "we'll look at the film."

Joemailman
09-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Justin Harrell didn't get hurt.

cheesner
09-28-2010, 04:23 PM
I was troubled by the seeming lack of self-directed criticism of the players and the coaches' seemingly not holding players accountable.

I know you can't just go off on the players all the time, but the players seemed to want to blame the refs and the coaches seemed loathe to say anything other than "we'll look at the film."

Calling out players publicly is definitely not the thing to do. I trust it is being done in team meetings today though.

mraynrand
09-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Justin Harrell didn't get hurt.

BOMNF!

The Leaper
09-28-2010, 10:33 PM
This may be enough to force Thompson to get off his can and do something about our running game?

That is about the only positive I can take from Monday at this point. Hopefully it gives the team a chance to shore up some weak areas before winnable games vs Det, Was and Mia. If the team responds from the loss to win those 3 games, then I won't feel as bad.

mraynrand
09-28-2010, 10:46 PM
This may be enough to force Thompson to get off his can and do something about our running game?

That is about the only positive I can take from Monday at this point. Hopefully it gives the team a chance to shore up some weak areas before winnable games vs Det, Was and Mia. If the team responds from the loss to win those 3 games, then I won't feel as bad.

I don't think the lack of running game hurt the Pack at all. They totally controlled the clock and moved the ball well. Mistakes and penalties. There were so many it's stunning.

ThunderDan
09-28-2010, 11:16 PM

I think the game brought back what I call the old fashioned WCO. GB used the short passing game to BJack as essentially 7 yard handoffs and it was enough to offset the need of a running game. We dominated a "good" Bears defense. If we don't commit penalty after penalty we win going away in the 3rd Q.

packerbacker1234
09-28-2010, 11:27 PM
All right, I have gotten over my doom and gloom and have started to accept reality.

The Packers did everything they could do to give the game away in CHI and still almost won.

ARod and the offense was excellent. I don't remember us having a short field all night and we had 3 drives of over 6 minutes.

The defense was great. Take away two punt returns and the Bears maybe score 6 points.

Someone else mentioned that if you didn't look at the crap you saw a Packers team that showed it was for real. Now let's get away from the penalties and get special teams back to the 1st 2 weeks.

I said this a few times already - I hate long drives unless it's against a high octane offense. You want to drop 30 a game? 6+ minute drives limits your ability to put points on the board, and actually plays to the advantage of teams who can't score at will, IE the bears. Sometimes those drives are needed (if you hav ethe lead in the 4th, or have the ball with 7 minutes left before half), but to have a majority of your offenseive production be through dump offs and very long drives is not good for a team that has the ability to drop 30 a game.

That showed either a lack of faith in the defense (of which it was pretty apparent if the bears had the ball more, we were going to get picks) or a lack of faith in the offense producing bigger plays. It was designed all game for those long drives, and I'll say it again, long drives hurt our offensive production.

It's good to know we have the ability to have long drives, but for at least the first three quarters, we should put our foot ont he gas and score as much as possible against a team like the bears. I'm not buying that penalties prevented us from scoring - we are the ones waisting the clock and giving our potent offense less possessions, not the bears.

mraynrand
09-29-2010, 12:09 AM

I said this a few times already - I hate long drives unless it's against a high octane offense. You want to drop 30 a game? 6+ minute drives limits your ability to put points on the board, and actually plays to the advantage of teams who can't score at will, IE the bears. Sometimes those drives are needed (if you hav ethe lead in the 4th, or have the ball with 7 minutes left before half), but to have a majority of your offenseive production be through dump offs and very long drives is not good for a team that has the ability to drop 30 a game.

That showed either a lack of faith in the defense (of which it was pretty apparent if the bears had the ball more, we were going to get picks) or a lack of faith in the offense producing bigger plays. It was designed all game for those long drives, and I'll say it again, long drives hurt our offensive production.

It's good to know we have the ability to have long drives, but for at least the first three quarters, we should put our foot ont he gas and score as much as possible against a team like the bears. I'm not buying that penalties prevented us from scoring - we are the ones waisting the clock and giving our potent offense less possessions, not the bears.

The long drives were a result of the Bears playing a deep cover two, and poor starting field position. Despite that, the Packers took a few shots and Jennings dropped one. What would you have them do? Throw into triple coverage all night? Despite the deep coverage, Rodgers completed some pretty tough throws between the LBs and the safeties. And I disagree about the penalties too: Stupid mistakes and penalties absolutely limited the offensive production. Take back just a few of those and the Packers score in the 30s without the 'big play.' First and goal and TD wiped away by penalty. FG blocked. Horrible.

Pugger
09-29-2010, 12:55 AM

The reason why those drives were so long was because the bare's defenders didn't allow many YACs Monday night. If the Packers had scored after that long drive to start the 3rd quarter the game may have turned out very differently. But having a TD negated by a holding call and then the FG blocked was a big turning point in that game.

Pugger
09-29-2010, 12:56 AM

I think the game brought back what I call the old fashioned WCO. GB used the short passing game to BJack as essentially 7 yard handoffs and it was enough to offset the need of a running game. We dominated a "good" Bears defense. If we don't commit penalty after penalty we win going away in the 3rd Q.

It was great to see the slant in there again. Another positive is I didn't hear of any serious injuries.

HarveyWallbangers
09-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Positives

Rodgers
Finley
Driver
Jenkins
Matthews (disrupted the Bears early and got a lot more attention in the second half)
T. Williams

run pMc
09-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Not many positives to take from the game, unless this game gets all the crappy special teams plays, penalties, and bad luck out of their system for the rest of the season.

Instead of sending BJack into Colledge's back, I think we'll continue to see the Bill Walsh WCO short passing game to set up the run and subsequently deeper play action passes.

I personally don't mind the long drives...I like it when everyone gets involved, and it's hard to score points when you're on D. Halfway thru the 4th, I was thinking the Bears D had to be gassed from being on the field so much. Whoever plays them Sunday has to be happy.

Change three plays in that game (the penalty that wiped out Finley's TD, Zombo's hit on Cutler which overturned Barnett's INT, and JJ's fumble) and GB might have hung 30 on the Bears and win easy with how they were moving the ball.

Woulda shoulda coulda.

red
09-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Hopefully there are a lot of embarrassed players on the team right now.

i'm sure they all feel just fine. they still got paid the same

Joemailman
09-29-2010, 06:20 PM

I don't think the lack of running game hurt the Pack at all. They totally controlled the clock and moved the ball well. Mistakes and penalties. There were so many it's stunning.

I agree. They had the ball for 35 minutes. The lack of a running game didn't seem to be a factor. MM's game plan actually reminded me of Holmgren. Use the short passing game in lieu of the running game.

If not for the INT's that were called back due to penalties, we'd all be talking about what a great night the defense had in the win. Zombo would be a folk hero. Nick Collins would still have his mouthguard.