PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Steamer In Our Homer Soup

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2006, 04:35 PM
I respect Silverstein.

By Tom Silverstein
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The left tackle position could be a problem this season. Starter Chad Clifton, who has battled injuries throughout his career, is plagued with a sore knee and his backup, Adrian Klemm, is gone for the season with a torn Achilles' tendon. Clifton likely will start but could experience problems, so a reliable backup is needed. Former starting OG Will Whitticker got the first shot and failed. Now the club is moving OG Junius Coston there to see if he can handle it. If not, the club is going to have to find a veteran somewhere to man the position. The club was outbid for free agent Adam Meadows and there isn't much left after him. . . .

The most impressive player through the first week of camp has been rookie WR Greg Jennings. Mature beyond his years, Jennings is playing all three receiver positions, which is unusual for a rookie. He runs precise routes and has caught almost everything thrown his way. He's good getting off the jam and excels on short catch-and-run routes. The big test will be to see if his 5-11, 197-pound frame can handle the punishment of the NFL. Running through the middle of opposing defenses will be far different than it was in college.

NEWCOMER REPORT: First-round MLB A.J. Hawk did not show much his first week of camp. Considered an impact rookie, Hawk struggled with some of his assignments and didn't do anything special. It might take live action to see what Hawk can do, but he hasn't stood out as one would expect. He shows great burst to the ball and looks as if he might be effective at blitzing, but he struggles in coverage and needs to show more discipline in the running game. The club is hoping that when the games start, Hawk shows some of the big-play ability he did in college.

PROBLEM SPOT: The zone-blocking scheme the coaches are implementing in the run game hasn't been much of a success thus far. Very seldom has a running back broken free for a big gain during early workouts. It will take the offensive line and backs some time to adjust to the new scheme, but with two rookies in the starting lineup the transition could take longer than expected. The club is committed to this system, so it won't be able to change if it continues to struggle.

Lare
08-04-2006, 04:49 PM
I don't know why anyone should be surprised that the run game is a problem spot. As many people have been saying for months, we don't have an OL or any quality RBs.

Rastak
08-04-2006, 09:06 PM
I don't know why anyone should be surprised that the run game is a problem spot. As many people have been saying for months, we don't have an OL or any quality RBs.

Jennings sounds alot like Nate Burleson. Solid college WR who runs good routes and has good hands......that could be a very good pickup by TT.

run pMc
08-05-2006, 09:06 AM
(LOL at the title of the thread.)

Yeah, I'm worried about the OL...especially if Clifton's health doesn't improve. Coston or Whitticker at the LT doesn't inspire much confidence. Count me in the camp who thinks that Ahman Green will make a strong comeback.

The comparison to Burleson is interesting...and may not be far off. I hope Jennings can stay healthier.

I think Hawk will come around. I always thought LB's are a little tough to evaluate without pads & hitting. It's only been a week...give hiim time. I'm guessing he's thinking too much and not letting his instincts take over yet. Pass coverage wasn't his forte, but I'm willing to give the guy some time to figure it out. He's got size and speed to burn.