PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers and his "move"

CaptainKickass
09-28-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm really too pissed off about the loss to comment on the game, but I gotta vent on this one subject:

Aaron Rodgers and his "belt" move. If you haven't seen it, it looks like this:

http://i45.tinypic.com/bhhnx3.gif

I Googled "aaron rodgers belt move" here's the first 3 results:

When Aaron Rodgers was the No. 2 QB in Green Bay he ran the scout team in practice. Since the scout team didn’t get any respect, whenever they scored a touchdown against the first team defense, he “strapped on the championship belt.” This was an inside thing that the scout team had going on. He now does it in honor of the players that were on the scout team that he spent the first 3 years of his career with

I think Rodgers needs to stop "the belt" immediately, and not because it motivates other teams, but because it is lame and needs to stop.

Mystery solved! And by no less an authority than Deadspin editor A.J. Daulerio: “Oh, he’s the heavyweight champion. He’s putting on the belt.

Now - I don't recall ever seeing him perform this less than hetero, juvenile and very lame "move" during a win. Perhaps I have selective memory, but every time I see it in a game - I feel like the Pack lost that game. We did indeed see it last night, and we lost. Coincidence?

Supposedly he got the idea from the WWE/WWF wrestling and their "championship belt". Vince McMahon has already proven that wrestling and football don't really go together with his failure at the now defunct XFL.

I think A-Rod's little move is classless, asinine, stupid even. Really wish he'd stop with it already.

I might feel different if he used it after say - scoring the winning points in an actual Superbowl. Or perhaps if he was on a team that were the defending champions from a year ago. But he didn't, and he's not.

Smidgeon
09-28-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm really too pissed off about the loss to comment on the game, but I gotta vent on this one subject:

Aaron Rodgers and his "belt" move. If you haven't seen it, it looks like this:

http://i45.tinypic.com/bhhnx3.gif

I Googled "aaron rodgers belt move" here's the first 3 results:

When Aaron Rodgers was the No. 2 QB in Green Bay he ran the scout team in practice. Since the scout team didn’t get any respect, whenever they scored a touchdown against the first team defense, he “strapped on the championship belt.” This was an inside thing that the scout team had going on. He now does it in honor of the players that were on the scout team that he spent the first 3 years of his career with

I think Rodgers needs to stop "the belt" immediately, and not because it motivates other teams, but because it is lame and needs to stop.

Mystery solved! And by no less an authority than Deadspin editor A.J. Daulerio: “Oh, he’s the heavyweight champion. He’s putting on the belt.

Now - I don't recall ever seeing him perform this less than hetero, juvenile and very lame "move" during a win. Perhaps I have selective memory, but every time I see it in a game - I feel like the Pack lost that game. We did indeed see it last night, and we lost. Coincidence?

Supposedly he got the idea from the WWE/WWF wrestling and their "championship belt". Vince McMahon has already proven that wrestling and football don't really go together with his failure at the now defunct XFL.

I think A-Rod's little move is classless, asinine, stupid even. Really wish he'd stop with it already.

I might feel different if he used it after say - scoring the winning points in an actual Superbowl. Or perhaps if he was on a team that were the defending champions from a year ago. But he didn't, and he's not.

I liked his spin jump better. Reminded me of Ryu from those old video games. Too bad I only saw it once...

mraynrand
09-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Aw hell, let the kid have some fun.

HarveyWallbangers
09-28-2010, 04:10 PM
I like it. Put that belt on, Aaron.

Fritz
09-28-2010, 04:11 PM
I'd like to see Rodgers grab his crotch after a touchdown right in front of an opposing player, then scream "S__ on this, B__ch!"

Now that's classy. And not at all lame like the belt thing.

When I saw that I thought he was strapping on one of those old-time menstrual belts.

HarveyWallbangers
09-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Now - I don't recall ever seeing him perform this less than hetero, juvenile and very lame "move" during a win.

Coincidentally, you made this statement and posted a video when he did it in a game they won. Funny!

mraynrand
09-28-2010, 04:15 PM
I'd like to see Rodgers grab his crotch after a touchdown right in front of an opposing player, then scream "S__ on this, B__ch!"

When I saw that I thought he was strapping on one of those old-time menstrual belts.

Have a little experience with that Fritz? Old-time menstrual belt? Are you kidding me????

mraynrand
09-28-2010, 04:16 PM
In fairness, it really looks bad like that, looped over and over. (I mean the video, not the menstrual belt).

Joemailman
09-28-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't care much for individual "celebrations" by Quarterbacks. Quarterbacks should celebrate with their teammates.

ThunderDan
09-28-2010, 04:21 PM
I think it is horrible like Barnett's samari.

Patler
09-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Well, those of you who have been here for a while will know what I think. I don't like it, but I don't like any of the scripted moves of any player. Not Barnett's, not Mathews' not Jenkins'. While I find it less objectionable than most, I don't even like Drivers shimmy and first down signals. They are so intent on celebrating that you get a dummy like Finley last night celebrating and indicating "First Down!" when he's two yards short.

I was a Barry Sanders fan. Handing the ball to the official is the epitome of elegance and sophistication! :lol:

I'm sort of indifferent about Woodson's "handshake".

mraynrand
09-28-2010, 04:35 PM
They are so intent on celebrating that you get a dummy like Finley last night celebrating and indicating "First Down!" when he's two yards short.

LOL

imscott72
09-28-2010, 04:39 PM
I like it. Put that belt on, Aaron.

I like it too. What's the big deal? Players have different ways of celebrating TD's. Why is what Aaron does so wrong?

Brandon494
09-28-2010, 04:45 PM
I like it, but maybe thats because he only does it after he runs in for a TD.

HarveyWallbangers
09-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Well, those of you who have been here for a while will know what I think. I don't like it, but I don't like any of the scripted moves of any player. Not Barnett's, not Mathews' not Jenkins'. While I find it less objectionable than most, I don't even like Drivers shimmy and first down signals. They are so intent on celebrating that you get a dummy like Finley last night celebrating and indicating "First Down!" when he's two yards short.

I was a Barry Sanders fan. Handing the ball to the official is the epitome of elegance and sophistication! :lol:

I'm kind of with you, but we are dinosaurs. The game has moved on. (If you really want to know how I feel, I think it's a generational "look at me" thing), Now, I just hope they keep taunting out of the game. As far as celebrations go, it's okay.

Smidgeon
09-28-2010, 04:48 PM

I kind of like that one. Just like I like his new mouthguard (with the vampire teeth). He isn't too showy either. Well--not anymore. I haven't seen the samurai once this year.

Brandon494
09-28-2010, 04:50 PM

Dude please tell me you atleast liked Gilbert Brown's grave digger

Patler
09-28-2010, 04:56 PM

Dude please tell me you atleast liked Gilbert Brown's grave digger

I don't like any of them, in any sport. When it's spontaneous, I have no problem with it, but the whole idea of developing a "routine" by which to celebrate to me seems ridiculous. I like it even less when all it is for is for having made a tackle.

Barnett started his thing last night, then thought better of it and stopped. Good thing, because, while it was a good solid hit on his part, it was after a significant gain on the play.

Joemailman
09-28-2010, 04:58 PM
The Grave Digger, the Lambeau Leap and Woodson's single pump handshake were the only ones I really cared for. Something about Arod's move just rubs me the wrong way.

Patler
09-28-2010, 05:07 PM

I'm kind of with you, but we are dinosaurs. The game has moved on. (If you really want to know how I feel, I think it's a generational "look at me" thing), Now, I just hope they keep taunting out of the game. As far as celebrations go, it's okay.

That's why I really have two standards. :lol:

Standard I - All of them are ridiculous. I hate them all.

Standard II - Recognizing that they are now a part of the game, I can accept and "like" Driver's, Woodson's and even Gilbert Brown's. Some are so contrived and unnatural that I dislike them under any standard. I hate Barnett's, even though it has evolved somewhat. I don't like Rodgers' "belt" move very much. I think Clay Mathews' celebration looks like he is taking a crap in the woods.

CaptainKickass
09-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Now - I don't recall ever seeing him perform this less than hetero, juvenile and very lame "move" during a win.

Coincidentally, you made this statement and posted a video when he did it in a game they won. Funny!

Touche' Harv

I was gonna argue that it was from the playoff loss, but no need.

I think Clay Mathews' celebration looks like he is taking a crap in the woods.

We can call CMIII's move "The Outhouse" or "The Pit & Privy"

:lol:

Freak Out
09-28-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm not a big fan of most of it.....I hate the fact guys make a tackle on a first down run and act like they just knocked out Frazier. I don't mind a little spontaneous celebration but some of these knuckle draggers need to give it a rest.

buchunter03
09-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Are you kidding me? I look forward every week to seeing Rodgers strapping on the belt. It's one of the best celebrations in the league. If anything he should be doing it more.

MichiganPackerFan
09-28-2010, 05:40 PM

I kind of like that one. Just like I like his new mouthguard (with the vampire teeth). He isn't too showy either. Well--not anymore. I haven't seen the samurai once this year.

I think he broke out a bow and arrow this year.

I think I side more with the older gents on the board, celebrate with your team, do a leap to bring the fans into the celebration. And if it's a HUGE play, it's ok to celebrate every now and then. Yes, Driver if you catch it across the middle, take a big shot and hang on to the ball for a first down, by all means let the defense and everyone else know. Reserve the individual celebrations for HUGE plays, if they must be used at all and celebrate with your teammates in a moderate fashion to keep energy and adrenaline alive.

denverYooper
09-28-2010, 05:54 PM
I had no issues with the belt last night. In fact, if everyone else made plays like Rodgers did they could do the funky chicken for all I care. I thought that was him trying to keep things loose and enjoy that intense atmosphere and felt it was more for the other players than himself.

I thought Finley was trying to sell the first down on his little move. I didn't have an
issue with that either.

gbgary
09-28-2010, 07:00 PM
i'm pretty old school but as celebrations go...it's pretty tame. i like it.

Little Whiskey
09-28-2010, 07:18 PM
I like the grave digger mostly because it ment the qb just got laid out by big old gilbert.

Fritz
09-28-2010, 08:01 PM

Have a little experience with that Fritz? Old-time menstrual belt? Are you kidding me????

Yes, I do. Had to take a few off your mother!!! :rs:

Old School
09-28-2010, 08:48 PM
As my screen name says, I'm old school.

I don't like Mathews' move. It's too much look at me; ain't I great. I'd prefer he go back and high five his fellow defenders, and actually undersell a sack. Sideshows are for the circus.

Athletic error free play is all I need when I watch a game. I wonder if some of the antics don't fire up the other team.

mraynrand
09-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Sideshows are for the circus.

And Packerrats

The Leaper
09-28-2010, 10:09 PM
I love the belt...harkens back to a time when pro wrestling wasn't COMPLETELY over the top yet and had loads of star power...Saturday Night Main Event anyone?

Football is ENTERTAINMENT. This is a sport where guys are trying to take each other's head off. Emotion rules, so trying to bottle it up seems counterproductive to me.

Patler
09-28-2010, 10:55 PM
I love the belt...harkens back to a time when pro wrestling wasn't COMPLETELY over the top yet and had loads of star power...Saturday Night Main Event anyone?

Football is ENTERTAINMENT. This is a sport where guys are trying to take each other's head off. Emotion rules, so trying to bottle it up seems counterproductive to me.

That's my point. If it's GENUINE, I have no problem with it. But most are just scripted performances that they do on cue from themselves. It's not emotion, it's acting.

swede
09-28-2010, 11:11 PM

I grew up trying to figure out how the hell Verne Gagne could be Champion of the World with a physique like my dad's.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/VerneGagne.jpg

CaptainKickass
09-28-2010, 11:28 PM
back to a time when pro wrestling wasn't COMPLETELY over the top yet and had loads of star power...Saturday Night Main Event anyone?

You gotta go back even further - to the really old school wrestling to get away from "Completely Over The Top". Saturday Night's Main Event aired from 1985 to 1992.

I recall watching Verne Gagne's All Star Wrestling on channel 18 (UHF) out of Milwaukee before "WWF" was even a mutter.

An amateur and professional wrestling legend, Verne Gagne's career covers the entire period of wrestling from the "real" to "fake" to "entertainment" eras. Gagne won two NCAA wrestling championships while at the University of Minnesota, and was a member of the 1948 Olympic Wrestling team for the United States. He soon turned pro and became champion of the new American Wrestling Association (AWA). He was a nine-time heavyweight champion in the AWA, winning his first title in 1960, and retiring as champion in 1981.

In fact Saturday Night's Main Event was the real catalyst for what became the "Over The Top" professional wrestling we know today.

At the time of the original airing it was a rare example of professional wrestling being broadcast on an over-the-air commercial television network after the 1950s. It coincided with and contributed to the apogee of the "second golden age" of professional wrestling in the United States. In a time when weekly programming consisited primarily of established stars dominating enhancement talent, Saturday Night's Main Event was made up entirely of star vs. star bouts.

CaptainKickass
09-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Forgot to include my point above.

I stopped watching "Wrestling" when it became hokey/or I realized it was hokey.

I don't want the NFL to become a shell of itself for the greedy sake of "entertainment".

Gunakor
09-29-2010, 01:52 AM
But most are just scripted performances that they do on cue from themselves. It's not emotion, it's acting.

If football is entertainment, I have no problem with the players putting on a show. I don't like every scripted celebration I see, but I like the fact that the players can do them. Regardless of the particular celebration or whether I like it or not, some fan somewhere is gonna dig it. Keep celebrating guys. It's good for showbusiness.

Pugger
09-29-2010, 02:06 AM

The handshake is one of the few 'celebrations' that I find have any class these days. We could have used a few more of those Monday night...

Fritz
09-29-2010, 06:48 AM
I want to see McCarthy throw a folding chair onto the field, Aaron Rodgers run out from the tunnel with Hank Baskett's wife on his arm, and Vince McMahon as the ref.

mraynrand
09-29-2010, 08:33 AM
I want to see McCarthy throw a folding chair onto the field, Aaron Rodgers run out from the tunnel with Hank Baskett's wife on his arm, and Vince McMahon as the ref.

How about Deanna Favre V Jessica McCarthy, half-time, at the Metrodome!

http://www.topnews.in/files/women-fight.jpg

MOBB DEEP
09-29-2010, 07:32 PM
mess is gay to me

but i can admit if brett or vick da great did it i would make excuses for it in my mind

thunder dan is correct imo

MJZiggy
09-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Celebrate a touchdown, celebrate an INT or forced fumble any way the refs let you get away with. For anything else, predetermined celebrations are just too "TOish" for me.

He just scored on NFL replay so I saw the replay in real time. It's just so quick--I don't think it's a big deal. And he does it after a TD.