PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy's trend toward dumbass

The Leaper
09-28-2010, 10:26 PM
What is the deal with McCarthy and challenges/time management? He's worse at those than Sherman was...which is a hard thing to accomplish. I swear that I can barely remember a challenge that McCarthy has made that was a good one. I'm sure he's made a couple, but more often than not he is challenging calls that have no chance to be reversed.

Challenging the Jones fumble was dumb. It took away a valuable time out. Then not letting Chicago score after they got down inside the 10 with 1:45 left was also questionable. Gould is a great kicker...he ain't missing a chip shot under 30 yards. The chances of that happening are probably less than 2%. I think we stood a greater (albeit still small) chance to tie/win by giving the ball back to Rodgers.

McCarthy has some flaws in his coaching skills...granted, he's got some strengths as well (i.e. QB development) but he's not going to be an elite head coach making as many questionable decisions as he does in regard to challenges/clock management.

channtheman
09-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Pretty much any replay you watch that you say "That has no chance of being overturned" you can bet that MM has thrown the flag. I don't know why. Like someone else said, if he is having someone tell him when to challenge that man should be fired. If he decides himself, he should hire someone to tell him when to challenge.

Smidgeon
09-28-2010, 11:13 PM
What is the deal with McCarthy and challenges/time management? He's worse at those than Sherman was...which is a hard thing to accomplish. I swear that I can barely remember a challenge that McCarthy has made that was a good one. I'm sure he's made a couple, but more often than not he is challenging calls that have no chance to be reversed.

Challenging the Jones fumble was dumb. It took away a valuable time out. Then not letting Chicago score after they got down inside the 10 with 1:45 left was also questionable. Gould is a great kicker...he ain't missing a chip shot under 30 yards. The chances of that happening are probably less than 2%. I think we stood a greater (albeit still small) chance to tie/win by giving the ball back to Rodgers.

McCarthy has some flaws in his coaching skills...granted, he's got some strengths as well (i.e. QB development) but he's not going to be an elite head coach making as many questionable decisions as he does in regard to challenges/clock management.

When I saw the first replay of the Jones fumble, I initially thought Jennings did step out of bounds, so I thought it was a good replay. It wasn't until they showed it again (after the challenge was thrown) that I saw it was the Packers' players foot that was near enough to the line to challenge.

ThunderDan
09-28-2010, 11:18 PM
I was very disappointed about MM's game management in the last 2:20 of the game. Hopefully, he learns from this and NEVER does it again.

HarveyWallbangers
09-28-2010, 11:27 PM
He shouldn't have to learn anything at this stage of his coaching career. I like McCarthy as a coach (I think he's a player's coach but tough and I think his playcalling is good), but I don't like his game management.

mraynrand
09-29-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm on the side that thinks McCarthy should have let the Bears score, but that's not a time management issue, that's philosophy. And he could be right. Letting the other team go up on purpose could change the way your players, particularly on defense, look at you, especially since McCarthy is really just a caretaker with respect to the defense. In 1999, the Packers looked to have it all sewn up with a late FG attempt at Lambeau that got blocked. There's always a chance, and you don't want to look like you are giving up.

On a related note, is it just me, or does it seem as though Defensive minded coaches typically have much better special teams than offensive Coaches. I'm thinking Bears, and Steelers. Perhaps the Offensive coaches just get too enamored with their Offense and gloss over special teams. Maybe this explains Stubby's lack of ST successes. It would be interesting to see the breakdown. And it would be interesting to see the complement of the most successful special teams as far as personnel - LBs versus fullbacks, O linemen versus D Linemen, starters versus backups (the experience question!), etc. etc. I'm too tired to research it right now....

Pugger
09-29-2010, 01:01 AM
I have no clue why MM challenges calls like this time and again that have zero chance of being overturned. This is the biggest thing he does that drives me crazy. Somebody should hide that red hankerchief on game day!

Fritz
09-29-2010, 06:58 AM
I sometimes wonder if the coaches have access to the same replays we do in the time period we get them as viewers. If they do, then there'd be no way you'd have challenged on the Jones play. The cameras showed us that replay immediately from two angles and it was clear that no foot slid out or anything.

Cripes, McCarthy, get an app on your Droid so you can watch the game broadcast from Fox or ESPN and use their camera work to help you make your calls.

Scott Campbell
09-29-2010, 07:32 AM
He's worse at those than Sherman was...which is a hard thing to accomplish.

It was another boneheaded challenge by McCarthy. But perhaps you're forgetting just how prolific Sherman was.

denverYooper
09-29-2010, 07:43 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81aebdfb/article/mccarthys-challenge-raises-red-flag-costs-packers-chance?module=HP_cp2

mraynrand
09-29-2010, 07:43 AM
But perhaps you're forgetting just how prolific Sherman was.

This doesn't look prolific to me:

http://www.dack.com/images/weblog/mike-sherman-sleeping.jpg

ThunderDan
09-29-2010, 08:45 AM
He shouldn't have to learn anything at this stage of his coaching career. I like McCarthy as a coach (I think he's a player's coach but tough and I think his playcalling is good), but I don't like his game management.

I agree that this shouldn't have happened. But part of being accountable and make corrections is saying, "I fucked up! I shouldn't have but I did and these are the steps I am going to do to clean it up."

Now if he does the samething again you realize he either didn't care or isn't smart enough to learn from his mistakes.

Packers4Glory
09-29-2010, 10:02 AM
didn't you hear his post game explanation? he was standing there and had a good look and thought it could get overturned. it was a crucial moment and he chose to throw the flag.....

He sucks at challenges, game management, discipline, and special teams.

They have no clue how to fix the latter two or how to construct effective special teams units.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-29-2010, 10:08 AM
I made a similar topic when we lost to the texans in 2008. He has poor game management. I'll try to find it....

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-29-2010, 10:13 AM
http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=15897&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Joemailman
09-29-2010, 10:20 AM
The story that Denveryooper posted a link to says the Packer coaches in the booth were advising MM to challenge the call. Perhaps MM deserves some credit for taking the heat rather than throwing other people under the bus.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-29-2010, 10:22 AM
He is a good play caller, but he really doesn't show logic sometimes. Seriously my younger brother who I was watching the game with was yelling at the TV when MM challenged the play when it clearly was not out of bounds.
After that I would have let them score. He is making millions to think about this stuff, how come my little brother fresh out of high school can see this and the head coach can't.
He has done this before and I'm sure he will do it again.

sheepshead
09-29-2010, 10:29 AM
I have never been sold on MM. I dont think he is in the top tear of NFL coaches right now. We have one of the most prolific offenses and defenses in football that needs to be running like a well oiled machine. I hope sunday was a fluke, but you could even make a case for Lovie out coaching "Mike Mornhinweg" last week.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-29-2010, 10:30 AM
The story that Denveryooper posted a link to says the Packer coaches in the booth were advising MM to challenge the call. Perhaps MM deserves some credit for taking the heat rather than throwing other people under the bus.

I'll give him credit for his play calling, but not his game management b/c at the end of the day it was his call. TT needs to bring in a NFL type running back b/c the guys we have back there are crap. A good back can cover up a bad on-line some. I really underestimated RG.

denverYooper
09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
He is a good play caller, but he really doesn't show logic sometimes. Seriously my younger brother who I was watching the game with was yelling at the TV when MM challenged the play when it clearly was not out of bounds.
After that I would have let them score. He is making millions to think about this stuff, how come my little brother fresh out of high school can see this and the head coach can't.
He has done this before and I'm sure he will do it again.

Some of his challenges are based on emotion. He's a bit of a gunslinger like that. It really kills him at times.

mraynrand
09-29-2010, 11:22 AM
I have never been sold on MM. I dont think he is in the top tear of NFL coaches right now.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_X5svfHE0CRI/S_MGEOm0hPI/AAAAAAAAAR8/ti2eSAnXioI/s1600/CryingIndian.jpg