PDA

View Full Version : Zombo Fine for Hit on Cutler

vince
09-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Frank Zombo has been fined $7,500 for his 4th quarter hit on Jay Cutler. Doesn't sound like much for an NFL player until you consider this.

Zombo makes $320,000 as a rookie undrafted free agent.

The fine is 2.35% of his annual salary, or

37.5% of his game pay!

If a player making $10 million were to be fined that percentage of his game pay, it would be a $235,000 fine.

Fines in such instances should be based on a percentage of game pay rather than a specific dollar amount IMO.

MJZiggy
09-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Did they fine either of the Bears who first tried to remove Matthews' helmet with his head still in it during the first quarter hold or Peppers for deciding it was ok to tackle Rodgers' head while he was on the ground?

Joemailman
09-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Zombo!!! said Kevin Greene actually offered to help him with the fine. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Woodson or Rodgers pitch in. Those guys probably have a few extra dollars around somewhere.

Zombo!!! has that slightly crazed look on his face a linebacker should have. I like it.

http://media.jsonline.com/images/mjs-packers27-18-of-hoffman.jpg-packers27.jpg

Packers4Glory
09-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Bullshit fine. I hate fines like this when the hit clearly wasn't intentional and may have been caused by the other teams lineman.

Brandon494
09-30-2010, 06:44 PM
I agree, BS fine

Little Whiskey
09-30-2010, 06:49 PM
I thought it was a boarderline call on the flag. no way should that been a fine!

Smidgeon
09-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Frank Zombo has been fined $7,500 for his 4th quarter hit on Jay Cutler. Doesn't sound like much for an NFL player until you consider this.

Zombo makes $320,000 as a rookie undrafted free agent.

The fine is 2.35% of his annual salary, or

37.5% of his game pay!

If a player making $10 million were to be fined that percentage of his game pay, it would be a $235,000 fine.

Fines in such instances should be based on a percentage of game pay rather than a specific dollar amount IMO.

Didn't Suh have a $5k fine earlier in the year? It's pennies to him, yet to Zombo it's a massive portion of his check.

mmmdk
09-30-2010, 07:52 PM
:bs2: fine

mraynrand
09-30-2010, 07:53 PM
[quote="Joemailman"]Zombo!!! said Kevin Greene actually offered to help him with the fine. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Woodson or Rodgers pitch in. Those guys probably have a few extra dollars around somewhere.

Zombo!!! has that slightly crazed look on his face a linebacker should have. I like it.

http://media.jsonline.com/images/mjs-packers27-18-of-hoffman.jpg-packers27.jpg

¡ZOMBO!

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/model/alberto-tomba/pictures/alberto-tomba-picture-2.jpg

mission
09-30-2010, 08:10 PM
How does Suh try to murder a player and gets fined less than Zombo????

Guiness
09-30-2010, 08:12 PM
He got fined for that? On top of the penalty?

How come there was no fine for the shot taken at Rodgers in OT of the playoff game against Arizona??? Refs missed the penalty, AND the league didn't levy a fine. I'm pretty sure that hit was every bit as hard.

If Zombo's hit is a fine, then so is the hit Jordy Nelson took.

BS all around.

bobblehead
09-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Yea, my big gripe isn't Zombo being fined....its the rule and he broke it.

My problem is that a player jumped on Rodgers head ass first while Rodgers was on the ground without the football. This just fits in nicely with the theme of the game....if the packers do it, its wrong, if the bears do it, no problem.

mraynrand
09-30-2010, 10:08 PM
How does Suh try to murder a player and gets fined less than Zombo????

What is this, The Last Boyscout?

steve823
10-01-2010, 12:04 AM
The NFL is going down the shitter. How are you going to constantly fine defensive players for hits to the helmet or below the knees? I miss old football without all these BS penalties and fines.

vince
10-01-2010, 05:48 AM
I kind of missed this the first time I read it because it seemed a bit off topic, but upon further review, it's a really good point. Obviously, you gotta have the skills too, but that killer instinct is huge.

I think it's clear that McCarthy values this too, which explains why he insists on differentiating between "combative" penalties and mental mistakes. That approach is probably not conducive to minimizing penalties, but it also emphasizes the importance of aggression to winning football in the bigger picture. Sometimes it hurts, but he doesn't want to diminish that aggressive edge to the football team.

Sure he takes the position that players have to be aggressive within the rules, but this is a good example that it's a difficult line to walk for players at times. Given that, a coach is faced with the decision of whether to discipline the player about the rules at the expense of the aggression. McCarthy chooses not to do that, and I'm not sure I blame him for that.

MichiganPackerFan
10-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Did they fine either of the Bears who first tried to remove Matthews' helmet with his head still in it during the first quarter hold or Peppers for deciding it was ok to tackle Rodgers' head while he was on the ground?

I thought Zombo got held from the back which brought him a bit more upright as he went into cutler.

Also, Im pretty sure that it's a league rule that fines can't be paid by anyone other than the person who it is assessed against. I have no idea what happens under the table however.

Guess the entire league had the bears back on this game. I'm still pissed, but trying to move on.

Pugger
10-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Yea, my big gripe isn't Zombo being fined....its the rule and he broke it.

My problem is that a player jumped on Rodgers head ass first while Rodgers was on the ground without the football. This just fits in nicely with the theme of the game....if the packers do it, its wrong, if the bears do it, no problem.

I too think the fine should reflect the salary of the offending player. That fine is pretty hefty for a player not making millions.

Rodgers? I'm still waiting for the officials to give him the same "protection" that they afford the Mannings and Bradys of the league.

MichiganPackerFan
10-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Rodgers? I'm still waiting for the officials to give him the same "protection" that they afford the Mannings and Bradys of the league.

Or the Cutlers

Fritz
10-01-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm still waiting for his offensive line to give him some protection.

gbgary
10-01-2010, 12:02 PM

he wasn't sacked last week and he's way behind last year's pace. :wink:

Patler
10-01-2010, 12:11 PM

A fact overlooked by many when complaining about Clifton and Tauscher. Yes, they played poorly compared to what we have come to expect from them, and, yes, Rodgers' athleticism helped avoid sacks. But the overall result was 0 sacks, and I believe just 3 QB hits by the Bears.

Guiness
10-01-2010, 01:06 PM

A fact overlooked by many when complaining about Clifton and Tauscher. Yes, they played poorly compared to what we have come to expect from them, and, yes, Rodgers' athleticism helped avoid sacks. But the overall result was 0 sacks, and I believe just 3 QB hits by the Bears.

Don't you think that is a classic case of 'lies, damn lies and statistics'?

The line might say no sacks, giving the impression that he was well protected, but unless my eyes deceive me, the offense scheme revolved around doing that. Peppers and friends ran around all day, and if it wasn't for the many planed roll-outs, things would've been different. I don't recall many occasions where Rodgers stepped up into the pocket.

MJZiggy
10-01-2010, 10:25 PM

The line might say no sacks, giving the impression that he was well protected, but unless my eyes deceive me, the offense scheme revolved around doing that. Peppers and friends ran around all day, and if it wasn't for the many planed roll-outs, things would've been different. I don't recall many occasions where Rodgers stepped up into the pocket.

That's called a good game plan. If they'd planned to have him sitting in the pocket, he'd have been buried.

Pugger
10-02-2010, 01:14 PM

I for one am glad we got out of Chicago with Rodgers in one piece. That goon Peppers took Stafford out in week one. We'd be in deep trouble if something were to happen to Aaron. :shock: