PDA

View Full Version : Cullen Jenkins and the Aura of the Team

Fritz
10-02-2010, 08:45 AM
There is no one narrative that Super Bowl-bound teams have, but the developing narrative in Packerland the past week has not been one that I'd associate with a Super Bowl team. First, the eighteen penalty joke of a game against the Bears. And now Cullen Jenkins comes out with his frustration over the lack of a new contract.

That doesn't seem like the kind of stuff that happens to Super Bowl teams.

What I found most interesting in the JSO article this morning, though, was the description of Jenkins as Jekyll-and-Hyde. I did not know this about him. Sounds like he might be an interesting player to coach.

The article focused mostly on his unhappiness over not being offered a new contract. However, this quote, at the end of the article, was interesting to me: "Besides sacks, he seems to be feeling pressure about his hand, his playing time and off-field issues of which he offered little elaboration.

'I'm struggling through a lot of stuff in my personal life right now," he said. "Just some decisions that I need to make better personally. Husband and father. I've just really tried to focus on stuff like that. Just get better as a person.

"My temper is a little unsteady right now. Dealing with stuff off the field. When you add stuff on the field to it, it's not a good combination.'"

Sounds like there's a lot going on with the guy at home right now. And that frustration or situation is spilling over into his feelings about not being "respected" by management.

Please, no more drama, Packers. Let's not turn this season into a drama meltdown.

Tony Oday
10-02-2010, 09:01 AM
I dont see a different aura around the team. I think fans are perceiving one at late because we lost to the bears. Nothing fixes a team like Lions week.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Shit I would be upset too. He is one of about 5-7 players that this team can not replace easily. I would have come to Jenkins about an extension before Driver. Maybe the team is not thinking about extending him? I hope not because that would be a big mistake. You can't ask for a better fit in the 3-4.

He has another 3/4 years left in him....I think Finely and Jenkins should be re-signed soon.

mraynrand
10-02-2010, 10:47 AM
There is no one narrative that Super Bowl-bound teams have, but the developing narrative in Packerland the past week has not been one that I'd associate with a Super Bowl team. First, the eighteen penalty joke of a game against the Bears. And now Cullen Jenkins comes out with his frustration over the lack of a new contract.

That doesn't seem like the kind of stuff that happens to Super Bowl teams.

What I found most interesting in the JSO article this morning, though, was the description of Jenkins as Jekyll-and-Hyde. I did not know this about him. Sounds like he might be an interesting player to coach.

The article focused mostly on his unhappiness over not being offered a new contract. However, this quote, at the end of the article, was interesting to me: "Besides sacks, he seems to be feeling pressure about his hand, his playing time and off-field issues of which he offered little elaboration.

'I'm struggling through a lot of stuff in my personal life right now," he said. "Just some decisions that I need to make better personally. Husband and father. I've just really tried to focus on stuff like that. Just get better as a person.

"My temper is a little unsteady right now. Dealing with stuff off the field. When you add stuff on the field to it, it's not a good combination.'"

Sounds like there's a lot going on with the guy at home right now. And that frustration or situation is spilling over into his feelings about not being "respected" by management.

Please, no more drama, Packers. Let's not turn this season into a drama meltdown.

Did someone mention my name?

http://thesportsunion.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/terrell-owens.jpg

If they start interviewing him while he's doing sit ups, then you know you have to worry.

denverYooper
10-02-2010, 10:59 AM
I've never cared for the tactic of negotiating through the media. However, now is the time where he has the highest leverage. With Jolly out, Neal injured, Wilson a year away, and Wynn not showing much, his worth is probably at his height. Next year they'll have Jolly coming back (provided he behaves), Neal with a year in the system and Wilson with a year under his belt. Jenkins might be afraid he's expendable given those things.

If he really wants to find out what management thinks, he should talk to them about it, not wait for them to come to him and bitch to the media when he's IMSing. It sounds like he mentioned something to M3 but that's not the guy holding the purse strings.

pittstang5
10-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Coming out in public about contracts disturbs me as well and I really would like Jenkins resigned. I have no worries though. Pickett, Tauscher, Clifton and Kampman were on their final year contracts last year. TT signed 3 of the 4. I really think Kampman would have been resigned if he had excelled in the 3-4 system. But, the system wasn't for him and he wanted to go back to the 4-3. Anyway, granted, Clifton and Tauscher are not playing like they should, but at the time, it was a great move. TT will get it done.

bobblehead
10-02-2010, 06:51 PM
First off, we don't know if he was asked a question or just ranting all on his own. Second we don't know if his agent has broached the subject with TT or not....I'm guessing he has. Third, he is doing the right thing...playing hard.

Sterling Sharpe decided he didn't want to play for his current contract the day before the season opener of our superbowl year. That is a prick. Cullen is merely expressing his opinion which is that he would like to extend because he loves Green Bay....I got no problem with this.

Pugger
10-02-2010, 07:12 PM
But it might have been better for him to not discuss this publically to the media. His focus should be on football and let his agent worry about his contract. If he continues to play well even with that cast he'll be rewarded. Some folks think TT is a tightwad but he has a history of taking care of "his own."

mraynrand
10-03-2010, 02:11 AM
But it might have been better for him to not discuss this publically to the media. His focus should be on football and let his agent worry about his contract. If he continues to play well even with that cast he'll be rewarded. Some folks think TT is a tightwad but he has a history of taking care of "his own."

Perhaps his agent told him to do it, because his agent was worrying about his contract.

mraynrand
10-03-2010, 02:12 AM
Sterling Sharpe decided he didn't want to play for his current contract the day before the season opener of our superbowl year. :?: :?: :?: Was he with ESPN or HBO at the time?

Joemailman
10-03-2010, 05:52 AM
First off, we don't know if he was asked a question or just ranting all on his own. Second we don't know if his agent has broached the subject with TT or not....I'm guessing he has. Third, he is doing the right thing...playing hard.

Sterling Sharpe decided he didn't want to play for his current contract the day before the season opener of our superbowl year. That is a prick. Cullen is merely expressing his opinion which is that he would like to extend because he loves Green Bay....I got no problem with this.

Actually, it happened in 1994. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1005634/index.htm

Favre called him out, and Sterling never forgot it.

pbmax
10-03-2010, 10:48 AM

Actually, it happened in 1994. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1005634/index.htm

Favre called him out, and Sterling never forgot it.
Favre never forgot either. Which is why he decided he would ask for more money by retiring, rather than holding out.