PDA

View Full Version : Bear's Benson carted off field...

Fosco33
08-04-2006, 10:31 PM
... after being hit by Urlacher and Brown after a catch. Apparently his left arm/shoulder were in a sling and more will be known tomorrow morning. Jones is out indefinitely with a bad hammy.

-Keep your friends close and your enemies closer-

Homer Jay
08-04-2006, 10:34 PM
You beat me by a minute Fosco. That could be a big loss for the Bears.

No Mo Moss
08-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Well you never like to hear that, even if it is the Bears. Although many a bear fan took a lot of pleasure from the Packers injuries last year so it's hard to pity them.

Fosco33
08-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Well you never like to hear that, even if it is the Bears. Although many a bear fan took a lot of pleasure from the Packers injuries last year so it's hard to pity them.

I totally agree - never a good day when someone gets injured especially if you believe in kharma.

Preseason is too long - I'm okay with the training camp schedule but there are too many games/chances to change a team dynamic through injury.

SD GB fan
08-04-2006, 11:33 PM
i read somewhere that the bears really respect thomas jones and are a bit annoyed by benson cos he arrogently declared hes in for a 1700 yrd season despite watching thomas carry the team last year. i heard the defense werent holding back and were going all out on the kid.

Fosco33
08-04-2006, 11:47 PM
i read somewhere that the bears really respect thomas jones and are a bit annoyed by benson cos he arrogently declared hes in for a 1700 yrd season despite watching thomas carry the team last year. i heard the defense werent holding back and were going all out on the kid.

If a coach new that, he'd go crazy.

After watching a report on Benson yesterday, I was getting a little worried that he would have a break out year. Since he missed a lot of his rookie TC, he said that a lot of his plays were 'unscripted' and that he's feeling a lot more confident with a year of workouts and studying under his belt.

FritzDontBlitz
08-05-2006, 12:13 AM
check this link out to read about benson and the atmosphere surrounding his injury today:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-060804benson,1,4555595.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

the reporter makes it sound as if the bears defense was pounding on benson to teach him a lesson, and lovie's comments gave me the impression that they had his unspoken blessing.....

Scott Campbell
08-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Well you never like to hear that, even if it is the Bears.

I'm personally devestated by the news.

Hehe.

No Mo Moss
08-05-2006, 01:30 AM
Well its hard not to second your sentiment. All the BEars fans last season didn't give a rats ass about our injuries. They still talked it up like they were laying waste to our full strength team.

CaliforniaCheez
08-05-2006, 04:54 AM
Remember, there is no need to waste a first round pick on an RB.

If a team has a good O-line plenty of guys can run the ball.

Gado who was not with the team for weeks had far better stats than Benson when Benson went down with injury last year. He went on for even better stats.

Benson held out last year. For what?
Many guys who hold out seem to get injured because they are not used to contact like the guys who have reported.

The Bears are continuing the tradition of first round busts at RB.

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 06:42 AM

Well we let them be that way. As Packer fans we are beter than that.

Also there's the kharma factor. :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 06:43 AM
Well you never like to hear that, even if it is the Bears.

I'm personally devestated by the news.

Hehe.

You bugger. LOL :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 06:49 AM

After watching a report on Benson yesterday, I was getting a little worried that he would have a break out year. Since he missed a lot of his rookie TC, he said that a lot of his plays were 'unscripted' and that he's feeling a lot more confident with a year of workouts and studying under his belt.

I'll wonder, if Thomas Jones is feeling weird about this situatin Fosco33? I'll bet the Bears are glad they didn't trade him.

Rastak
08-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Well its hard not to second your sentiment. All the BEars fans last season didn't give a rats ass about our injuries. They still talked it up like they were laying waste to our full strength team.

So we should all act like the Bears fans at JSO?

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Bears getting banged up in TC !

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2540162

RashanGary
08-05-2006, 08:52 AM
HAHA!!!

On a personal level, it's too bad. On a football level HAHA. Bears can't get a break.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-05-2006, 09:13 AM
I am not going to make fun of the bears, only b/c I believe in the what goes around comes around philosophy.

Believe or not I can't wait until TC and the pre-season games are over. I just want to have a full season with no major injurys.

MJZiggy
08-05-2006, 09:20 AM
If what goes around comes around, I wonder if this is their kharma for last year?

Scott Campbell
08-05-2006, 09:21 AM

I don't think any of this reaches that level of behavior Ras.

Fosco33
08-05-2006, 11:27 AM

I'll wonder, if Thomas Jones is feeling weird about this situatin Fosco33? I'll bet the Bears are glad they didn't trade him.

There's a few things going on here...

A) Benson isn't hurt badly; Jones still sits out - eventually to another team (and no, not the Packers)
B) Benson is hurt and out for up to 4-6 weeks (or whatever); Jones returns - but there's all the questions the Bear's had before with him
C) They keep both Benson/Jones for the season w/ RB by committee - sounds similar to our situation of average backfield

Rastak
08-05-2006, 12:28 PM

I don't think any of this reaches that level of behavior Ras.

True. They were an annoying lot....completely destroyed 3 or 4 live game threads.

K-town
08-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Rashaan Salaam. Curtis Enis. Now Cedric Benson. If I were a college running back, I'd never want to be drafted by the Bears. It's the kiss of death.
Similarly, wide receivers from Texas A&M to Green Bay.
And O-lineman to Tampa Bay (the "elephants graveyard", especially for ex-Vikings).

TravisWilliams23
08-05-2006, 03:53 PM
There was a guy by the name of Walter Peyton drafted by
the Bears who turned out OK.

mraynrand
08-05-2006, 04:34 PM

Walter Peyton? Never heard of him....

Rastak
08-05-2006, 05:22 PM

I went to Chicago this summer and there's a brewpub called Walter Peyton's roundhouse which had excellent beer and brats. I think it was in Aurora, damn fine place using Sweetness's name....the second best Bear running back of all time.

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 08:27 PM

I went to Chicago this summer and there's a brewpub called Walter Peyton's roundhouse which had excellent beer and brats. I think it was in Aurora, damn fine place using Sweetness's name....the second best Bear running back of all time.

After this fella?

http://www.profootballhof.com/assets/hof/mug1335.jpg

Gale Sayers

Rastak
08-05-2006, 08:49 PM

After this fella?

Gale Sayers

Yes Woody, you nailed it.

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 08:56 PM
August 5, 2006

Cedric Benson's X-Ray was confirmed negative.

Wearing a black harness, Bears running back Cedric Benson said Saturday that he isn't sure how long his left shoulder injury will sideline him.

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 09:02 PM

After this fella?

Gale Sayers

Rastak:

He was something else for the short time we had him. I don't believe we ever saw another like him before he arrived with da Bears. (Jim Brown - only saw him on film)

After him - a fella named Barry Sanders arguably exceeded him " as Mr. Excitement", out of the backfield. Walter Payton was also something else. I also felt that Eric Dickerson could turn it on.

For obvious reasons I couldn't get into Emmitt, LOL. Dam Cowboys. You fellas had - was it Chuck Foreman? He impressed me . . OJ Simpson and Larry Csonka and Franco Harris also. Our Jim Taylor.

but not in the class of Sayers-Sanders-Payton.

Rastak
08-05-2006, 09:05 PM

After this fella?

Gale Sayers

Rastak:

He was something else for the short time we had him. I don't believe we ever saw another like him before he arrived with da Bears. (Jim Brown - only saw him on film)

After him - a fella named Barry Sanders arguably exceeded him " as Mr. Excitement", out of the backfield. Walter Payton was also something else.

He's my favorite running back of all time.

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Gale Sayers is my personal favourite RB as well.

DAM !!!!!

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Here is the latest story on Cedric Benson:

He's expected to miss two weeks.

From the Chicago Sun-Times - Link:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-bear05.html

TPF
08-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Bears got a lucky break on that.

Scott Campbell
08-06-2006, 08:49 AM

Gale Sayers?

Oh, nevermind. I'm a little quick on the trigger here.

I'd hate to have to pick one over the other. I think Sayers had better elusiveness (though Walter possessed that too), but Payton had much better power. He could punish people and run them over too.

It's a damned shame that these guys were forced to play for the Bears.

4and12to12and4
08-06-2006, 01:25 PM
I know this has nothing to do wiht running backs, but I went with a couple of buddies to the Bear's TC last Saturday ( i live 30 minutes away from the Olivet campus), and saw two noteworthy things.

1. Rex Grossman looked awesome. I mean, almost all of his passes were tight spirals, and had alot of zip behind them. He was hitting his receivers in stride constantly. His footwork peddling back into the pocket is very quick, and has a quick delivery.

2. Orton missed consistently. And missed BAD. He overthrew almost evrything. His receivers stopped and watched his passes sail over their respective heads! He is also much slower in his back-peddling and his delivery.

By the way, I was 2 feet away from Rex as he signed autographs. I'm 6 feet tall, and he was at least an inch shorter than me in spikes. Funny, because he's listed at 6' 1". Yeah, right. The couple of passes that he missed on were becuz his throws are on an upward rise out of his hand, whereas Orton's aren't (he's every bit of the 6' 4" listing).

Anyways, it sucked watching Rex throw with such accuracy and confidence. I hate to wish anything bad on someone, but...

RashanGary
08-06-2006, 02:06 PM
I believe it. I've always thought Grossman had a legit chance.

Rastak
08-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I believe it. I've always thought Grossman had a legit chance.

I agree, Rex COULD be good if he could only stay healthy...now the damn Bears have a halfweay decent backup also.

HarveyWallbangers
08-06-2006, 06:55 PM
I don't think Grossman will ever be anything better than mediocre. Of course, that would be a big upgrade over what they had last year.

red
08-06-2006, 07:38 PM
i think grossman can be a good NFL qb, not superstar great, but good, solid, able to win, good leader. the problem is he has to stay healthy, and i don't know if he can

of course thats not our problem, and its a nice problem for our enemy to have to deal with

the bears with grossman= scares me

the bears with orton = not so much