PDA

View Full Version : My God the Bears are bad

imscott72
10-03-2010, 09:33 PM
How did we lose to these guys? Wow..9 sacks in the first half? 22 total yards??

Brando19
10-03-2010, 09:41 PM
18 penalties for 152 yards.

gbgary
10-03-2010, 09:43 PM
18 penalties for 152 yards.this!

digitaldean
10-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Tonight's game makes that MNF loss all the more maddening...

The Leaper
10-03-2010, 09:46 PM
The NFL is incredibly mediocre this year...nobody stands out right now. The defending champs look very beatable. The Colts are 2-2. I'd have to say that the Jets probably look like the best team right now...but the fact they destroyed Buffalo means little. So did Green Bay, who also looks very beatable.

All the more reason for Thompson to get off his ass and get Green Bay a capable RB.

digitaldean
10-03-2010, 09:48 PM
When the only unbeatens left are the KC Chiefs and the Muppets of the Midway, that tells how goofy this season is going to be.

cheesner
10-03-2010, 09:58 PM
The bears still haven't recovered from the pummeling the Packers laid on them.

The Packers gave them the game last week. Even so, there were at least 4 plays that the Packers screwed up; any one of those plays could have won the game for us. The bears just got very lucky. Time to put it behind us and just move on.

Brando19
10-03-2010, 10:00 PM
The NFL is incredibly mediocre this year...nobody stands out right now. The defending champs look very beatable. The Colts are 2-2. I'd have to say that the Jets probably look like the best team right now...but the fact they destroyed Buffalo means little. So did Green Bay, who also looks very beatable.

All the more reason for Thompson to get off his ass and get Green Bay a capable RB.

I would piss my pants if I woke up one day this week and TT had traded for DeAngelo Williams (which I heard on Fox pregame show that he's been pursuing pretty heavy.) I wonder if the Panthers would take a 2nd rd pick? They're 0-4 and obviously rebuilding...plus he's a FA after this year.

gbgary
10-03-2010, 10:00 PM

All the more reason for Thompson to get off his ass and get Green Bay a capable RB.injuries are the great equalizer. i agree about tt.

packerbacker1234
10-03-2010, 10:28 PM

Have you been watching our team this year? We're 3-1 against horrible competition and we almost lost against the lions at home, and almost blew the game against vick and the eagles despite the fact we were up double digits before vick really took control and made the eagles a real threat. We lost to the only "average" opponent we faced and beat 3 teams who at time (as the eagles under kolb have shown) are really bad.

And we barely won 2 of them. We also didn't exactly look sharpe against the bills.

How did we lose? We've been sloppy as hell every single game.

Lurker64
10-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Last year, at week 8, we were 4-4. Finished the year 11-5. The Packers have always been slow starters and strong finishers under McCarthy, here's hoping we can keep to that script.

MJZiggy
10-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Last year, at week 8, we were 4-4. Finished the year 11-5. The Packers have always been slow starters and strong finishers under McCarthy, here's hoping we can keep to that script.

Slow starters? We're 3 and 1. We're not in a bad position as long as we can get some of our injured guys back.

mmmdk
10-03-2010, 10:36 PM

Slow starters? We're 3 and 1. We're not in a bad position as long as we can get some of our injured guys back.

Ok then :) Goodnight from DK.

Lurker64
10-03-2010, 10:40 PM

This year we're slow not in terms of our record, but in terms of our play on the field. Neither the offense nor the defense has put on a solid performance for four quarters, games have been close when they shouldn't and we gave away a game to the Bears.

We've escaped all of that with a 3-1 record through four weeks, which is good, but we need to get better. Having the injured guys get healthy will certainly help, but there's a lot of other stuff that needs to be done.

Weird thing about this year is, though, that every team that I've seen (and presumably all the other teams) look eminently beatable. It's a weird year.

retailguy
10-04-2010, 08:30 AM

This year we're slow not in terms of our record, but in terms of our play on the field. Neither the offense nor the defense has put on a solid performance for four quarters, games have been close when they shouldn't and we gave away a game to the Bears.

We've escaped all of that with a 3-1 record through four weeks, which is good, but we need to get better. Having the injured guys get healthy will certainly help, but there's a lot of other stuff that needs to be done.

Weird thing about this year is, though, that every team that I've seen (and presumably all the other teams) look eminently beatable. It's a weird year.

Actually, we don't look a lot different than 2007 or 2008 to this point. So, I guess it is more like 2007 than 2008 since we're winning, but we're definitely winning ugly.

Yes, other teams look very beatable, but so do we.

Pugger
10-04-2010, 08:51 AM
If you think about it we haven't played any where near our potential and we are tied for the best record in the conference. When we get our act together on both sides of the ball in future games look out.

hoosier
10-04-2010, 08:53 AM
I was shocked to see how easily Detroit moved the ball yesterday, especially through the air. Shaun Hill is not quite at the level of Kurt Warner. You kind of expect Calvin Johnson to do his damage. But when Pettigrew is running wide open through the secondary and the defense is giving Detroit the dumpoff to the running back whenever they want it and/or completely abandoning containment on the QB, that is disconcerting. The Packers repeatedly had Detroit in third-and-long situations only to let them convert. I hope Harris and Bigby can provide some support because if not, I expect this is going to be a consistent point of frustration throughout the season.

pbmax
10-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Linehan is a good coordinator and the Lion's are clearly better. Plus, there is not much film of Hill and this offense.

What was surprising would the the lack of effectiveness of 2nd half adjustments by the D. I saw only one that looked like it worked. They eventually forced FGs instead of TDs, but overall, not impressive even accounting for the opponent.

sharpe1027
10-04-2010, 09:16 AM
The Packer D did give up a lot of yards, but they also held to field goals and forced turnovers. If the O had been able to sustain a drive or two, the D wouldn't have looked nearly as bad. It was a team effort. :lol:

pack4to84
10-04-2010, 09:41 AM
When the D is one the field for 37 minutes. That tells me the Offense failed the Defense. They where tired.

Pugger
10-04-2010, 10:18 AM
When the D is one the field for 37 minutes. That tells me the Offense failed the Defense. They where tired.

After Woodson brilliantly knocked away a pass in the 4th he looked absolutely gassed! He came back in the next play and broke up the pass and forced the loins to kick a FG. At least the O came to life and had one of their better drives to salt the game away in the end.

imscott72
10-04-2010, 10:37 AM

I would piss my pants if I woke up one day this week and TT had traded for DeAngelo Williams (which I heard on Fox pregame show that he's been pursuing pretty heavy.) I wonder if the Panthers would take a 2nd rd pick? They're 0-4 and obviously rebuilding...plus he's a FA after this year.

Man, that would be fantastic, but you know how TT operates. Just not his style. Don't see it happening, plus I think the Panthers would want a 1st.

Patler
10-04-2010, 10:39 AM
I was shocked to see how easily Detroit moved the ball yesterday, especially through the air. Shaun Hill is not quite at the level of Kurt Warner. You kind of expect Calvin Johnson to do his damage. But when Pettigrew is running wide open through the secondary and the defense is giving Detroit the dumpoff to the running back whenever they want it and/or completely abandoning containment on the QB, that is disconcerting. The Packers repeatedly had Detroit in third-and-long situations only to let them convert. I hope Harris and Bigby can provide some support because if not, I expect this is going to be a consistent point of frustration throughout the season.

Makes you kind of wonder about what will happen against teams with a solid offense and a good QB, doesn't it? Teams that won't shoot themselves in the foot during a long drive.

imscott72
10-04-2010, 10:42 AM

Makes you kind of wonder about what will happen against teams with a solid offense and a good QB, doesn't it? Teams that won't shoot themselves in the foot during a long drive.

If Bush continues to be our nickle back, then yes it's not going to be pretty. I thought TWill and Woody were solid. Burnett had some issues, but being a rookie you expect that. Getting Bigby and Harris back will definitely strengthen the secondary and it can't come soon enough. Tight ends continue to have huge games against us.

mraynrand
10-04-2010, 11:01 AM

The shooting in the foot comment is valid, but I disagree with the shoacked at Detroit moving the ball. I had a chance to watch them in multiple games so far. It's a well-run, disciplined offense, with resect to scheme. Reminds me a lot of Holmgren's offenses. Going against tendencies, etc. Hill did a great job of finding the pressure and throwing directly to that location. Plus, the team has talented players. A lot of them are raw, but the talent is there. Hill reminds me a lot of Brad Johnson in his later years. No great deep ball, but he can make all the short and intermediate throws accurately, and runs an efficient offense. It probably comes from Mike Tice as QB coach.

Packers have issues though - they made Detroit look a little better than they are. But Detroit is much improved...

denverYooper
10-04-2010, 11:05 AM

If Bush continues to be our nickle back, then yes it's not going to be pretty. I thought TWill and Woody were solid. Burnett had some issues, but being a rookie you expect that. Getting Bigby and Harris back will definitely strengthen the secondary and it can't come soon enough. Tight ends continue to have huge games against us.

Bush had an ok game yesterday. He got crossed up on Megatron's first TD but he had that huge HUGE 3rd down play on Pettigrew, swatting the ball down. He also just missed an INT and played fairly well other than the communication breakdown mentioned above.

Patler
10-04-2010, 11:07 AM

But what about in the first half, when the defense couldn't stop the Lions before the defense wore itself out? The defense was as much responsible as the offense was for the defense having to be on the field as much as it was in this game.

While the offense was scoring 3 TDs and punting twice, the defense gave the Lions drives of 5:41 (11 plays), 4:15 (8 plays) and 6:40 (13 plays). That was in the first half when the offense was doing its job and scoring points.

The downside of a defensive score, like Woodson's interception & TD is that it puts the defense right back on the field. Woodson intercepted on the third play of the 3rd quarter (counting the Woodson penalty). The defense came back out, fresh after only 3 plays in the 3rd quarter, and gave up a 12 play drive that lasted 5:08. Can't blame the offense for that, they never had the ball.

That's almost 22 minutes in four drives using 44 plays through less than 2 1/2 quarters that were all on the defense because, to that point, the offense was pretty much doing it's job. There were a couple punts, but even those possessions took 5 minutes off the clock.

If the defense had made stops early in the game, the offense would have had more opportunities. As it was, they scored 3 touchdowns in their first 5 possessions, but they only had the ball 5 times in the first half because the defense was giving up long, time consuming drives.

3irty1
10-04-2010, 12:19 PM
The Lions brought back the formations with stacked receivers that plagued us last year particularly against Arizona in the playoffs. This limits zone blitzing, taking away a major strength of the Capers scheme and also makes it possible to hide premiere WR like Larry and Calvin such that they get a free release off the line of scrimmage. The solution? The Packers are just going to have to show that they can win their one on ones both in the secondary and in the trenches. We obviously can't have commentators likening Shaun Hill to Phillip Rivers every week if we expect to be competitive. As my dad would say "You can blitz or you can cover but don't do neither."

3irty1
10-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Bush was a bright spot yesterday. Ahead of Sam Shields at this point imo. The main difference is that Jarrett Bush at least contests passes. He just has better cover skills. It was nice to see him play the ball yesterday too for once. Dropped the pick but being in that position to drop a circus catch is 90% of the battle. Ask Collins.

AtlPackFan
10-04-2010, 12:58 PM

Man, that would be fantastic, but you know how TT operates. Just not his style. Don't see it happening, plus I think the Panthers would want a 1st.

Agree. Same with him going out and getting a D back. Its just not how he operates...especially during the season. He expects the backups to step up and he will promote from the practice squad...he does not trade draft picks to plug holes.

retailguy
10-04-2010, 01:02 PM

Agree. Same with him going out and getting a D back. Its just not how he operates...especially during the season. Expect the backups to step up and promote from the practice squad...not trade draft picks to plug holes.

It would be out of character for Ted to deal a high draft pick. A couple of seasons ago, I would have said it was as likely as him trading up in the draft.

Today, I think it's doubtful but not impossible. Deangelo Williams is a stud, but I have no idea if Ted thinks he is worth a high draft choice.

I know I think he is... but I'm still not sure I'd make that trade. This team has some holes. Big ones.

The question that I'd be asking myself, is, if I pulled the trigger is is likely to get the team over the hump?

Two weeks ago, I might have thought that. Today? I am not so sure.

Scott Campbell
10-04-2010, 01:12 PM
The downside of a defensive score, like Woodson's interception & TD is that it puts the defense right back on the field.

I can live with that.

TennesseePackerBacker
10-04-2010, 01:15 PM

Have you been watching our team this year? We're 3-1 against horrible competition and we almost lost against the lions at home, and almost blew the game against vick and the eagles despite the fact we were up double digits before vick really took control and made the eagles a real threat. We lost to the only "average" opponent we faced and beat 3 teams who at time (as the eagles under kolb have shown) are really bad.

And we barely won 2 of them. We also didn't exactly look sharpe against the bills.

How did we lose? We've been sloppy as hell every single game.

If only we had the great Brett Favre leading our team, we wouldn't be in this mess would we? I mean, look how great the Vikings have started out!

Patler
10-04-2010, 01:21 PM
The downside of a defensive score, like Woodson's interception & TD is that it puts the defense right back on the field.

I can live with that.

Sure, but when people are complaining about the defense being on the field so much, that has to be taken into account, especially when they are on the field for a long drive in that next series after the defensive score. Can't blame the offense for that at all.

woodbuck27
10-04-2010, 01:26 PM

All too logical and all too true for TT to deal with ' in the present or now ', as he seems to dwell on his plan or ' the BIG TT PICTURE ' and disregards the way it certainly is shaping up, or is ... now.

TT thinks alot in terms of money and assets gained vs ' the cost ' longer term. Not a bad thing but we do have a real shot this season with a more Pro Active and results oriented managing approach. We have too many parts in place now, to sit back and wait to see. Then again TT knows we will be stronger soon in the secondary and with the return of a 100% healthy Ryan Grant, better in our running game. He's setting up for 'the run' after the mid point in our schedule.

The only question we need to answer as Packer fans is: Are TT's ' if this or that happens we'll be just fine ', realistic? He can afford today to remain patient as we're at 3W and 1 L and very much in the thick of it. All factors weighed together.

TT will be as we know him best. PATIENT. Unless he receives an offer that he cannot refuse. Those offers arn't likely or gift wrapped in the NFL.

Back to patience. :D

mmmdk
10-04-2010, 01:51 PM
The Lombardi Trophy is SOOOO up for grabs this season; that's why only the best coaches will truely contend this season. These coaches need talented players as a guy like Whisenhunt can't do [more] miracles in Arizona.

Iron Mike
10-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Yeah, buddy:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chicago/chat/_/id/34740

Bossman641
10-04-2010, 07:37 PM
The shooting in the foot comment is valid, but I disagree with the shoacked at Detroit moving the ball. I had a chance to watch them in multiple games so far. It's a well-run, disciplined offense, with resect to scheme. Reminds me a lot of Holmgren's offenses. Going against tendencies, etc. Hill did a great job of finding the pressure and throwing directly to that location. Plus, the team has talented players. A lot of them are raw, but the talent is there. Hill reminds me a lot of Brad Johnson in his later years. No great deep ball, but he can make all the short and intermediate throws accurately, and runs an efficient offense. It probably comes from Mike Tice as QB coach.

Packers have issues though - they made Detroit look a little better than they are. But Detroit is much improved...

Mike Tice is the Bears OL coach

MichiganPackerFan
10-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Mike Tice is the Bears OL coach

How many former NFC North Head Coaches to they need?!!!

packerbacker1234
10-05-2010, 09:40 AM

I can live with that.

Sure, but when people are complaining about the defense being on the field so much, that has to be taken into account, especially when they are on the field for a long drive in that next series after the defensive score. Can't blame the offense for that at all.

At least the vikings can muttle on the excuse "we have no deep threat play maker to open up of the offense".

In gb our passing game has no excuse. We have playmakers everywhere and it's still not coming close to last years production.

Patler
10-05-2010, 10:29 AM
At least the vikings can muttle on the excuse "we have no deep threat play maker to open up of the offense".

In gb our passing game has no excuse. We have playmakers everywhere and it's still not coming close to last years production.

It isn't? Through first four games:

Stat 2009/2010
yards - 1098/940
TDs. - 6/8
INTs - 1/5
sacks - 20/5

I think the passing performance is comparable through 4 games. A few less yards this year, more TDs, more interceptions, a lot fewer sacks.

Against the Lions, I think the problem was more the long, time consuming drives that the defense gave up early in the game while the offense was scoring touchdowns 3 of the first 5 times it had the ball.

Pugger
10-05-2010, 10:58 AM

Agree. Same with him going out and getting a D back. Its just not how he operates...especially during the season. Expect the backups to step up and promote from the practice squad...not trade draft picks to plug holes.

It would be out of character for Ted to deal a high draft pick. A couple of seasons ago, I would have said it was as likely as him trading up in the draft.

Today, I think it's doubtful but not impossible. Deangelo Williams is a stud, but I have no idea if Ted thinks he is worth a high draft choice.

I know I think he is... but I'm still not sure I'd make that trade. This team has some holes. Big ones.

The question that I'd be asking myself, is, if I pulled the trigger is is likely to get the team over the hump?

Two weeks ago, I might have thought that. Today? I am not so sure.

Williams would be worth a high pick but I seriously have my doubts that Carolina is considering trading him to anyone.

retailguy
10-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Williams would be worth a high pick but I seriously have my doubts that Carolina is considering trading him to anyone.

Carolina also has Jonathan Stewart who would be a starter for many NFL team including (I think) Green Bay.

They're young and rebuilding, with glaring holes everywhere.

Trading Williams or Stewart really wouldn't be a surprise. Having two very good running backs is a luxury that they probably can't afford, if it gets them a good player at a position of need.

But, trading them to GB? That's unlikely to me.

mmmdk
10-05-2010, 12:23 PM

Carolina also has Jonathan Stewart who would be a starter for many NFL team including (I think) Green Bay.

They're young and rebuilding, with glaring holes everywhere.

Trading Williams or Stewart really wouldn't be a surprise. Having two very good running backs is a luxury that they probably can't afford, if it gets them a good player at a position of need.

But, trading them to GB? That's unlikely to me.

Oh ya think Stewart is better than any RB Packers have? Then I think you're abso-freakin' right :D