PDA

View Full Version : 4 Man Pass Rush

pbmax
10-04-2010, 07:56 AM
4 man rush, they are not getting enough pressure. I know Bush was playing significant minutes, Martin had to come in for Burnett and Al and Atari are still not on the roster, but 4 man pressure was not getting it done.

They had three sacks, but other times Hill simply had too long. When they blitzed, there was a good chance they would get burned on screens or other short routes. Or a QB scramble.

In the second half, I did see them with a 4 man rush, two LBs in the short middle of the field and the short passing game was less effective due to coverage and quick tackles. If I had to guess, I would think they were playing 4 across coverage short with three in the back out of a nickel. I also assume the Lions were scheming them out of this alignment as I did not see it consistently at the end. But I am not sure they can rely on this alignment since it relies on 4 man pressure and the offense cooperating.

As of now, we have seen a lot of shaky coverage when blitzing. That either needs to change or the Packers need to get home with 4.

vince
10-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Yesterday, they didn't even try to mask what they were doing. When they dropped 8, it was obvious what they were doing. When they came with the cross-dog blitz, the 2 LB's showed exactly what was coming. To the extent that they mixed up their blitzes and coverages, it was obvious to the offense what was coming I thought. That makes it pretty easy to play against.

Fritz
10-04-2010, 10:12 AM
4 man rush, they are not getting enough pressure. I know Bush was playing significant minutes, Martin had to come in for Burnett and Al and Atari are still not on the roster, but 4 man pressure was not getting it done.

They had three sacks, but other times Hill simply had too long. When they blitzed, there was a good chance they would get burned on screens or other short routes. Or a QB scramble.

In the second half, I did see them with a 4 man rush, two LBs in the short middle of the field and the short passing game was less effective due to coverage and quick tackles. If I had to guess, I would think they were playing 4 across coverage short with three in the back out of a nickel. I also assume the Lions were scheming them out of this alignment as I did not see it consistently at the end. But I am not sure they can rely on this alignment since it relies on 4 man pressure and the offense cooperating.

As of now, we have seen a lot of shaky coverage when blitzing. That either needs to change or the Packers need to get home with 4.

This is what I saw. In the first half, the blitzes were useless because the Lions called screens. In the second half, Capers backed off and then Hill had time to throw.

vince
10-04-2010, 01:05 PM
McCarthy talked today about their inability to run various defensive alignments and disguise their defenses after Burnett went down because of Martin's limited preparation. Martin was actually the 4th safety on the depth chart last week behind Peprah, who he's hoping will be back to practice on Wednesday.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Mike-McCarthy-Press-Conf-Transcript---Oct-4/3e1ea61c-bbb2-4ec0-a7a5-f4da714f4c73

(How did Derrick Martin do yesterday?)
Derrick did OK. Like a lot of things when you don’t get the reps, the communication as far as the details of where you need to be, alignments and disguise and things like that. We need to play better on defense. That was not our best performance by far this year.

(Is Anthony Levine on the practice squad and still an option?)
Correct, yes. Like I said, we’ve got a couple balls up in the air that we’re looking at and talked about this morning. The Washington Redskins will be part of that discussion as far as how we’re going to approach this game.

(Is one of the balls up in the air potentially moving Bush back to safety?)
That’s one of the balls, yes. That would be one.

(How disappointing is it for him and where was he at with things?)
It’s very disappointing for him as an individual just because of what he’s put into it from the time he’s been here, to have to grow up that fast, and he was getting better with each week. He had a real nice tackle there early in the game, comes up in support. You could see he was really comfortable. For a first-year player, being in a key communicating spot in our defense, I thought he did an exceptional job. He was getting more comfortable and you could see his athletic ability taking over. You feel bad for Morgan.

vince
10-04-2010, 01:28 PM
After reading the entire press conference transcript, it reads like McCarthy got a little pissed off. I think that may be a good thing. I look forward to watching it when it comes online.