PDA

View Full Version : NFL/NFLPA Talk: Packers have voted to decertify

NewsBruin
10-04-2010, 09:43 PM
This is not an indictment of McCarthy's play-calling or Ted Thompson's roster-building. The purpose of decertificating the union is to keep the league from locking out the NFLPA members at the start of the 2011-2012 season. If the NFLPA is not certified as the Collective Bargaining Agent for the NFL players, then the NFL has to deal on one-on-one terms with its players until a new Agent is organized.

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Green Bay Packers players have become the latest team to give the NFL Players Association approval to decertify in the event of a lockout next year.

George Atallah, the NFL Players Association's assistant executive director of external affairs, told The Associated Press players voted to decertify in a meeting Monday afternoon.

"It's another way for the players to ensure that there isn't a protracted lockout," Atallah said.

Decertification would give players the right to sue the NFL under antitrust laws if there is a lockout, a threat that could strengthen the players' position in negotiations on a new collective bargaining agreement.

Each team's players must approve the measure, but the votes are considered largely procedural.

The Packers' union meeting took place at Lambeau Field on Monday afternoon and lasted more than an hour, although a handful of players left early and would not comment on what was discussed.

At least eight other teams have approved decertification: Cincinnati, Buffalo, Indianapolis, Dallas, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Washington and the New York Giants.

The Players Association will kick off its so-called "One Team Tour," a series of tailgate-style luncheons for selected fans, with an event in Green Bay on Tuesday. According to a news release, the events are designed to thank fans "for their dedication to the players of the National Football League."

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith is scheduled to attend Tuesday's event, as are Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, offensive tackle Mark Tauscher and running back Brandon Jackson.

NewsBruin
10-04-2010, 09:57 PM
In more labor news, I had read (Peter King's MMQB column (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/10/04/week4/1.html)) that the NFL had proposed 1 extra roster spots and 2 extra practice squad spots in exchange for a 2/18 season. The players wanted better post-NFL health-care coverage.

I remember stories of vintage players getting three-figure monthly pensions and multiple heath claims being denied as non-football related. It's going to be some tough negotiations, as the money issues (the league wants to reduce the overall amount going to salaries) haven't even been discussed yet.

mmmdk
10-04-2010, 10:05 PM
1 extra roster spots and 2 extra practice just won't cut it.

55 player roster & 10 PS slots; 18 regular season games is a lot of football.
Plus 1 extra guy can suit up for games.

woodbuck27
10-04-2010, 10:31 PM
I don't like the talk of a prolonged 18 game schedule. Where will that end but in possibly watering down the quality of the games and the NFL in general.

Plus the added stress to players that play in such a tough sport given the length of schedule as it exists.

Tony Oday
10-04-2010, 11:19 PM
I love the 18 game schedule however we will need to expand the rosters to a minimum of 60 with 10 PS players and another league ala NFL Europe. Also to get players on board offer 70% of the profits from the extra games to be sunset in 5 years.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-04-2010, 11:27 PM
I love the 18 game schedule however we will need to expand the rosters to a minimum of 60 with 10 PS players and another league ala NFL Europe. Also to get players on board offer 70% of the profits from the extra games to be sunset in 5 years.

I hate the 18 game schedule idea. Cut a pre-season a game or two fine, but you don't have to extend the season.