PDA

View Full Version : Corner back depth chart

Patler
10-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Interesting comments from Witt about the cornerbacks in a section at the end of this GBPG article:

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101004/PKR01/101004155/Notebook-McCarthy-sees-a-good-shot-of-reality-in-Sunday-s-win

“I understand people’s concerns with him (Bush),” Whitt said. “He did it on game day this week. He made one mistake, but he played well and played solid. We gave up passing yards, but they weren’t on him.

“If he can play this way when he’s called upon, we’ll win a lot of football games. … All I care about is winning football games, and I thought this week he gave us the best opportunity to win a football game.”

Whitt said Underwood is still working his way back and is currently last on the depth chart behind Pat Lee.

“He has to earn his way back up,” Whitt said. “At one point he was the third guy and Sam was the last guy. It depends on how you play, how you perform.”

cheesner
10-05-2010, 09:17 AM
I trust Witt more than I trust Bush.

I will adopt a Wait-and-see approach with now a bit of optimism.

packerbacker1234
10-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Bush did have a good game. Gotta give him credit where credit is due. Overall, he is prolly better than Sam Shields right now, but Sam Shields has significantly more upside.

Sort of like the debate of if burnett was healthy do you start him or bigby? Bigby is the better SS now, but Burnett has more upside.

That issue is solved though - clearly Bigby is the starter when he returns and obviously who plays nickle is mute in 2 weeks when Harris returns, as it will be harris or williams back to the nickle spot.

MichiganPackerFan
10-05-2010, 09:58 AM

I think you should have gone with a "Witt and see approach"

Fritz
10-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Is Pat lee moving up or is Brandon Underwood moving down?

Also, I think the Pack should take a good long look at Lee for kickoff returns. If he can do it he becomes part of the mix to keep when Harris comes back. If he can't, well, maybe he's on the bubble if the team tries to add another safety instead of converting Bush to safety.

retailguy
10-05-2010, 12:09 PM

I think you should have gone with a "Witt and see approach"

Very Witty.

steve823
10-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Bush did have a good game. Gotta give him credit where credit is due. Overall, he is prolly better than Sam Shields right now, but Sam Shields has significantly more upside.

Sort of like the debate of if burnett was healthy do you start him or bigby? Bigby is the better SS now, but Burnett has more upside.

That issue is solved though - clearly Bigby is the starter when he returns and obviously who plays nickle is mute in 2 weeks when Harris returns, as it will be harris or williams back to the nickle spot.

If I'm not mistaken won't Williams and Woodson be nickle? Harris needs to bump and run and doesn't have great speed to be a nickleback. Williams will probably be nickle, with Woodson going their occasionally because Woodson is moved all over the place.

Smidgeon
10-05-2010, 01:52 PM

If I'm not mistaken won't Williams and Woodson be nickle? Harris needs to bump and run and doesn't have great speed to be a nickleback. Williams will probably be nickle, with Woodson going their occasionally because Woodson is moved all over the place.

I think it would depend more on how well Harris does in space when he doesn't have a sideline to work against. If I'm not wrong, most of the fly routes are against the sideline. So if he's quicker than he is fast, the nickel would be okay. But Woodson will probably continue to work there anyway.

Patler
10-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Is Pat lee moving up or is Brandon Underwood moving down?

Also, I think the Pack should take a good long look at Lee for kickoff returns. If he can do it he becomes part of the mix to keep when Harris comes back. If he can't, well, maybe he's on the bubble if the team tries to add another safety instead of converting Bush to safety.

I think Underwood was handed a gift in training camp, but did nothing with it. He was given the #3 job, but proceeded to be outplayed by Shields while not separating himself from Lee. Now he has to prove that he deserves to be ahead of them.

steve823
10-05-2010, 02:04 PM

I think it would depend more on how well Harris does in space when he doesn't have a sideline to work against. If I'm not wrong, most of the fly routes are against the sideline. So if he's quicker than he is fast, the nickel would be okay. But Woodson will probably continue to work there anyway.

Hopefully Harris comes back in great shape and performs well. I know he is getting up their in age and is recovering off a pretty major injury, but if there is one person I had to pick to come back in amazing shape and excel - it would be Harris.

MichiganPackerFan
10-05-2010, 02:44 PM
At the beginning of the season, I thought Tramon Williams would be able to fill in for Harris until he got back and be ok. Through 4 games, I think he's played at a top notch level, near shut-down. He's played a LOT better than I expected. When Al gets back, in order to keep the best talent on the field, I think tramon needs to be blanketing someone as he is now, and just as Al does. Not sure how they'll best do this, but could we be seeing more safety play out of woodson?

Joemailman
10-05-2010, 04:09 PM

Usually Woodson is the one who lines up in the slot in the nickel. I expect Harris will play CB on the right side, whether in base or nickel.

packerbacker1234
10-05-2010, 10:22 PM

Usually Woodson is the one who lines up in the slot in the nickel. I expect Harris will play CB on the right side, whether in base or nickel.

Only on the really big drivese in the game is Woodson covering the #1 guy. Such as the final drive of the game or before half - because Woodson is an EXCELLENT bump and run CB, but he is also excellent at almost every other aspect of the position. He is still relied to take out the #1 guy on key drives, but he isn't going to do that all game long. Doing that all game can eliminate his play making ability by moving him around. I expect woodons to continue to the slot, or more a wolf man zone concept until the later int he game moments, where it will be woodson and harris/williams (whoever is better) going man up on the two best WR's the other team has.

Tony Oday
10-05-2010, 10:24 PM
I do like a healthy Harris on a #2 and Tramon on a #1 and Woodson playmaking!

3irty1
10-06-2010, 02:12 AM
I agree with the idea of Pat Lee on KR. I only remember seeing him do it once but he looked great.

Of the mess of Underwood, Lee, Bush, and Shields I think I like Bush right now. He's more physical than shields, and has the ability to man up better than the others. if he continues to play like he did this week he'll never be on the field a lot.

Underwood's bad offseason must be more extensive than what we read about in the paper. He is really in the doghouse and his problems sound like they're not just off the field. He needs motivation to get back on track.

3irty1
10-06-2010, 02:18 AM

The nickle back is just the third corner on the chart that comes in with the nickle package, it doesn't refer to where they line up. No matter who the nickleback is, Woodson will almost always line up in the slot. This puts the fastest guys on the outside or in Harris's case, a guy who's skillset is best used rerouting his man on the sideline. Harris's value drops significantly away from the sideline.

Last week, Bush worked the slot to keep Woodson on CJ the whole time so there are of course exceptions.