PDA

View Full Version : Ya/Nay - Would you have traded a 3rd + conditional for Lynch

Patler
10-05-2010, 04:40 PM
To outbid Seattle, TT would have had to offer a 3rd and a conditional pick for Marshawn Lynch. Should he have done it, or would you have done it? Lots of factors to consider about trading for Lynch:

Pro:
Has had solid performances.
Is young.
Is under contract for a couple years.
Played with Rodgers in college.

Con:
Seems to have a bit of a problem with knowing right from wrong off the field.
Is reported to be one transgression away from a long suspension.
Hasn't ever really shown himself to be more than just "good".

Neither pro or con, but factors none the less:
Starks will be available soon.
Nance is on the roster, but mostly an unknown.
Grant will be fine next year.

pack4to84
10-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Yes. I would have made the traded. I just hope TT made the right move or has another one up his sleeve.

Freak Out
10-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Don't the Bills have anyone good on Defense we can trade for? :)

Smidgeon
10-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Past GB 3rd round picks by TT:

2005 - (none)
2006 - Abdul Hodge and Jason Spitz
2007 - James Jones and Aaron Rouse
2008 - Jermichael Finley
2009 - (none)
2010 - Morgan Burnett

Two flops in Hodge and Rouse
Two moderate hits in Jones and Spitz
One outstanding selection in Finley
One incomplete in Burnett

Before I looked this up, I was leaning towards "Yes". Now? I'm thinking not so much. He's hit some good players in the third round. I wouldn't trade Finley, Jones, or Burnett for Lynch. Finley because he's a special talent, Jones because he likely has more years as a player than Lynch (and think they're similar calibur), and Burnett because they gave him Sharper's 42 for a reason (they think he's going to be the next Nick Collins).

red
10-05-2010, 05:29 PM
depends what the conditional pick is, but i would have traded a 3rd in a second for him.

starks is the big unknown factor here. its looking like the team is gonna count on him to be the savior. he could be, who knows until he finally gets on the field

cheesner
10-05-2010, 05:41 PM
I would need to know 2 things:

1. What are the conditional pick details

2. Would his personality fit? I only would want players who love football, are very dedicated and respect Green Bay.

I wouldn't budge on #2 regardless of how good a player is. Adding a better player does not necessarily make your team better.

Scott Campbell
10-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Look at our D-Line, our aging tackles, and our injured reserve list and tell me you want to trade away two picks for this slug.

Joemailman
10-05-2010, 05:53 PM
No. Nance is a bum. He deserves to be coached by Pete Carroll.

mmmdk
10-05-2010, 06:14 PM
...can't believe it but I voted NO. :?

rbaloha1
10-05-2010, 06:55 PM
TT's protege outbid us. Worth the draft pick.

Bretsky
10-05-2010, 07:44 PM
You guys are kidding, right ? Lynch was a Pro Bowl selection in 2008; he was stuck behind one of the worst OL's in the game. He's young and if he develops he may not be at his peak. He's a stellar receiver and a good fit. He's in a different league with the guys we are stuck with.

Plus, maybe a 4th and a better conditional option gets the deal done. but our 3rd is really like an early fourth anyways if you think we are good.

And we'll get a pick from Kampman anyways

Reasons not to make the deal......

character concerns
maybe we are not as close as many perceive us to be
maybe we're just fine there

seriously, thought, did anybody really expect us to get Marshawn Lynch ???

congrats to John Schneider for closing

Bretsky
10-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Look at our D-Line, our aging tackles, and our injured reserve list and tell me you want to trade away two picks for this slug.

we have Buluga and Lang on the bench and most feel they will be capable to good.

Not sure our DL is that bad

If you are looking for horrid depth, I might start with our secondary

Brandon494
10-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Would we have to give up a higher pick? I guess so, but we need Lynch a lot more than the Seahawks. TT took a risk with Finley so why not risk another 3rd round pick on a young RB who also has starting experience. Lynch and Kuhn could've made a pretty good one two punch. I understand he wanted a extension but a 3 year deal is not the end of the world and we have the money. I'm just hoping I'm right about Starks being a impact player when he returns to the field.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-05-2010, 07:55 PM

we have Buluga and Lang on the bench and most feel they will be capable to good.

Not sure our DL is that bad

If you are looking for horrid depth, I might start with our secondary

Nice post. Serious though, if TT thinks we are a superbowl team he has to start making moves. He doesn't make a trade b/c of a low draft pick? He needs to start being more aggressive. I don't think he learned anything from his time in Seattle. He makes good moves by re-signing his own players and focusing on the draft, but every once in a while if a deal like this presents itself step up to the plate.

The only thing I look back and hate that he didn't do as GM was trade for Moss back in 2007 and you can go back and read any of my posts and you will see that I badly wanted Moss. This reminds me of the day Moss got traded to the pats.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-05-2010, 08:07 PM
He spent a second round pick on Jackson, and he couldn’t spend a 3rd for Lynch? And how do you know it would take a 3rd. Maybe the Seahwaks were just more aggressive and the Bills went with their offer? Maybe TT was only offering a 5th round pick and they didn't feel like wasting time with him. Seattle just got a great trade IMO. A 24 year old back and an ex pro bowler for a 4th and what another low rounder?

We saved our 4th last time when we didn't trade for Moss and who did we pick Barbre?

pbmax
10-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Voted yes, but did not know he is reported to be one misstep away from visiting Johnny Jolly. That would change the calculus, though probably more about a future contract than this year. Unless he has a pending appeal that could be adjudicated during the season.

Otherwise, the only thing I would fear is fitting into the season and doing it quickly.

Smidgeon
10-05-2010, 09:59 PM
He spent a second round pick on Jackson, and he couldn’t spend a 3rd for Lynch? And how do you know it would take a 3rd. Maybe the Seahwaks were just more aggressive and the Bills went with their offer? Maybe TT was only offering a 5th round pick and they didn't feel like wasting time with him. Seattle just got a great trade IMO. A 24 year old back and an ex pro bowler for a 4th and what another low rounder?

We saved our 4th last time when we didn't trade for Moss and who did we pick Barbre?

It would have taken a third because there's no way, in conventional circles, that Seattle will finish with a better record (and a worse draft position) than Green Bay.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-05-2010, 10:08 PM

It would have taken a third because there's no way, in conventional circles, that Seattle will finish with a better record (and a worse draft position) than Green Bay.

Yeah I see your point. Still I think a 3rd would have been a good trade. Oh well, its too late to worry about that now. I doubt he will trade for anyone else so I hope Starks makes us forget about Lynch.

MichiganPackerFan
10-06-2010, 07:45 AM
I have to say, I'm very disappointed in how the vote was set up. I was led to believe that I would be able to vote "Ya" or "Nay" and when I got to the vote I was only offered a "Yes" or "No". Bait and Switch. :evil:

The Leaper
10-06-2010, 10:22 PM
For a late 3rd...sign me up as a yes. Lynch is a bona-fide talent...he's got some character risk for sure, but the fact that he and Rodgers know each other well would've smoothed that over a lot for me. Lynch would've come to play in Green Bay.