PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we don't need to trade for a RB

Brandon494
10-05-2010, 08:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ3dPkL0pr4

mmmdk
10-05-2010, 08:57 PM
I love watching Starks run; great pick but those injuries kill. How healthy will the kid be?

Tony Oday
10-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Kuhn is going to make him irrelevant!

Scott Campbell
10-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Is he a sure fire bet to even get healthy?

mission
10-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Is he a sure fire bet to even get healthy?

From what I gathered, he's been healthy. Just a numbers victim.

Now can he stay healthy? Who knows but at the rate they're falling now, no one's a sure thing to play all year.

Smidgeon
10-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Okay, aside from the health questions (which the video can't answer), here's what I observed about Starks:

1) The kid doesn't go down on first contact
2) He doesn't seem that fast in the video, but was outrunning DBs
3) He's got great vision. His head was always on a swivel looking for the next place to run

Counterarguments:

1) He was likely being "tackled" by players that aren't in the NFL because they couldn't tackle
2) Being the fastest on the field in college means you're average in the NFL. But still good enough for an RB
3) I think this is the one that translates the best...once he understands the scheme. Which, if he isn't a waste, he's been studying like crazy in lieu of physically practicing.

Maybe I should be a scout...

gbgary
10-05-2010, 11:46 PM
maybe next year.

3irty1
10-06-2010, 02:38 AM
Starks, like Grant, is nearly a perfect fit in Green Bay IMO. The combination of size and long speed, and a little power to boot. He just looks like a zbs back. Brings some new things to the offense too, he was a pretty great QB in high school. Possibly could give us some kind of wildcat element. Supposedly he's already 100% and just waiting to get his chance. Not sure how he'll do with 20 carries/game but just having him in the mix gives us a chance at hitting those home runs that AP/CJ/DMC and such hit all the time.

denverYooper
10-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Starks, like Grant, is nearly a perfect fit in Green Bay IMO. The combination of size and long speed, and a little power to boot. He just looks like a zbs back. Brings some new things to the offense too, he was a pretty great QB in high school. Possibly could give us some kind of wildcat element. Supposedly he's already 100% and just waiting to get his chance. Not sure how he'll do with 20 carries/game but just having him in the mix gives us a chance at hitting those home runs that AP/CJ/DMC and such hit all the time.

Plus he can catch. There's an extra 1-2 first downs per game. That was my main beef with Grant: his stone hands.

Joemailman
10-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Within a few weeks, Nance and/or Starks will be getting significant carries and I suspect people will start to forget about Lynch. Kind of like 2007 when Grant started getting the ball midway through the season. TT doesn't panic in situations like this, and those that do wonder why he isn't doing anything. It'll always be that way.

Bossman641
10-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Okay, aside from the health questions (which the video can't answer), here's what I observed about Starks:

1) The kid doesn't go down on first contact
2) He doesn't seem that fast in the video, but was outrunning DBs
3) He's got great vision. His head was always on a swivel looking for the next place to run

Counterarguments:

1) He was likely being "tackled" by players that aren't in the NFL because they couldn't tackle
2) Being the fastest on the field in college means you're average in the NFL. But still good enough for an RB
3) I think this is the one that translates the best...once he understands the scheme. Which, if he isn't a waste, he's been studying like crazy in lieu of physically practicing.

I noticed the same thing, he looks like sort of a long strider.

MichiganPackerFan
10-06-2010, 08:02 AM

I would be a GREAT scout...

...for the Vikings.

Brandon494
10-06-2010, 08:26 AM
I just noticed at 1:09 he is being chased by Morgan Burnett.

sharpe1027
10-06-2010, 08:45 AM

Haha, classic.

mission
10-06-2010, 09:06 AM

I'm pretty sure that's Delmas.

HarveyWallbangers
10-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Man, I hope this kid turns out to be good AND stays healthy.

Brandon494
10-06-2010, 06:56 PM
From watching those highlights the biggest thing that stood out to me was his balance. I'll go on the record and say Starks will be the starting RB by week 10.

superfan
10-06-2010, 07:05 PM
For comparison purposes - Brandon Jackson college highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7LqfRdnT0I

Maybe it's just the video quality, but to me Starks looks a little more impressive and more like a complete back.

mission
10-06-2010, 07:10 PM
For comparison purposes - Brandon Jackson college highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7LqfRdnT0I

Maybe it's just the video quality, but to me Starks looks a little more impressive and more like a complete back.

looks a lot more boring than starks :lol:

Freak Out
10-06-2010, 07:10 PM
How much more waiting for this guy?

Guiness
10-06-2010, 07:31 PM
he definitely has a very long stride.

One thing I notice is that he does tend to bounce around looking for a hole. I hope that doesn't translate to the sort of indecisiveness we've seen with BJack - which leads to him getting hit behind the LOS.

HarveyWallbangers
10-06-2010, 08:51 PM
he definitely has a very long stride.

One thing I notice is that he does tend to bounce around looking for a hole. I hope that doesn't translate to the sort of indecisiveness we've seen with BJack - which leads to him getting hit behind the LOS.

I was thinking the opposite. He's pretty decisive. He jukes in the open field, but he looks like he takes it up in there hard, cuts, and hits the jets.

rbaloha1
10-06-2010, 09:32 PM
IMO Starks looks too slow. Grant has deceptive speed and is a homerun threat.

The Leaper
10-06-2010, 10:17 PM

What numbers? Do we have 3-4 Pro Bowl backs on the roster? We ain't got a starting RB at this point. If he was healthy and good enough, he'd be playing. It will be a stretch for this kid to contribute this year IMO.

The notion that this kid is going to drop out of the sky and start putting up 125 yard games in week 10 seems crazy to me.

mission
10-06-2010, 10:42 PM

What numbers? Do we have 3-4 Pro Bowl backs on the roster? We ain't got a starting RB at this point. If he was healthy and good enough, he'd be playing. It will be a stretch for this kid to contribute this year IMO.

The notion that this kid is going to drop out of the sky and start putting up 125 yard games in week 10 seems crazy to me.

The numbers that decided we needed 4 TEs and 3 FBs... because, you know, that's so common.

We had Ryan Grant who has had such a looooong history of injuries...

gex
10-06-2010, 10:52 PM

In the words of TT, "We're good there"
LOL That should be everyones sig this year. :D

Scott Campbell
10-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Look at all the Viking fans whooping it up over our injuries.