PDA

View Full Version : Simpkins signed from the PS

imscott72
10-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Well it's a start..

pittstang5
10-07-2010, 12:51 PM
This guy any good. I don't remember him from preseason. Wait...is he the dude with the dreads?

imscott72
10-07-2010, 12:53 PM
tried to post a pic of him, but won't let me for some reason.

retailguy
10-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Well it's a start..

Start? This is your new backup middle linebacker behind Desmond Bishop.

imscott72
10-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Well it's a start..

Start? This is your new backup middle linebacker behind Desmond Bishop.

Yes a start. We still have to deal with the potential loss of Chillar and Collins for this week.

Smidgeon
10-07-2010, 01:14 PM
I thought Maurice "The Blizzard" Simpkins was just a warm body. The Packers must have seen something they liked; anybody else see his potential and can explain it?

mraynrand
10-07-2010, 01:31 PM
I remember him from preseason. he was running all over the place. Seemed athletic, but raw

http://www.packers.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/article_images/2010/08-august/100810simpkins210.jpg

I remember having a hard time figuring out who the hell he was because I couldn't see his damn name through the dreads and didn't have a scorecard.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-07-2010, 01:33 PM
I remember him in the preseason. He looked REALLY slow. I think it was the Chiefs when I saw him in.

Smidgeon
10-07-2010, 02:36 PM
I remember him in the preseason. He looked REALLY slow. I think it was the Chiefs when I saw him in.

Hopefully he was just going slow because he was still thinking his way through plays. He must've shown something to be signed over Francois.

Cheesehead Craig
10-07-2010, 03:07 PM
This guy any good. I don't remember him from preseason. Wait...is he the dude with the dreads?

Well, he's on someone's practice squad so I'm going with not really.

pack4to84
10-07-2010, 03:52 PM
good write up on Simpkins by Jason Wilde during pre-season
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=4218&section_id=40

pittstang5
10-07-2010, 04:04 PM
good write up on Simpkins by Jason Wilde during pre-season
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=4218&section_id=40

Just read that article.....got a little depressed when they mentioned Havner "Frackenbacker." i wish he was available to play ILB with all these injuries.

mmmdk
10-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Simpkins should get some crazy XFL face paint; then at least Packers D might scare some...for a nano sec.

falco
10-07-2010, 06:18 PM
I think Simpkins has a good chance to develop into a starter. I liked what I saw of him in the PS.

wist43
10-07-2010, 06:41 PM
I thought Simpkins looked pretty good in the preseason... but the preseason is a far cry from the regular season.

Still, a player worth looking at.

mission
10-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I thought Simpkins looked pretty good in the preseason... but the preseason is a far cry from the regular season.

Still, a player worth looking at.

Agreed. I kept asking myself "wait, who is the LB with the dreads?" (cant see the name) since he seemed to be in on every tackle. I do remember him looking lost at times but he definitely has a nose for the football and a lot of intensity.

Great story too. If only this former computer programmer could have ended up in the NFL. :lol:

mmmdk
10-07-2010, 09:36 PM
The Packers signed linebacker Johnny Williams to their practice squad to replace Simpkins. Williams (6-2, 244) was an undrafted rookie out of Kentucky in 2009 who went to training camp with Jacksonville but was cut, and then late in the year spent time on Pittsburgh’s practice squad. He was with Denver this offseason but was released in training camp.

Williams played outside linebacker in Pittsburgh’s 3-4 defense and inside linebacker in Denver’s 3-4 scheme.

retailguy
10-08-2010, 08:27 AM

I remember him from preseason. he was running all over the place.

:shock: Guess we remember things differently, huh? :P

If I merge these two comments, then, I get - "He was running slowly all over the place in the preseason". :twisted:

Hopefully the kid can play, we need him right now.

MadtownPacker
10-08-2010, 09:45 AM
If he was white all of you would be proclaiming him the next great thing. Of course you are all nothing but a bunch of closet racist so you say he is slow and complain about his hair.

As my long deceased friend Harlan would say....

http://www.shiteilike.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/long-haired-freaky-people.gif

AtlPackFan
10-08-2010, 10:07 AM
If he was white all of you would be proclaiming him the next great thing. Of course you are all nothing but a bunch of closet racist so you say he is slow and complain about his hair.

As my long deceased friend Harlan would say....

http://www.shiteilike.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/long-haired-freaky-people.gif

"Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign" :wink:

Sorry...couldn't resist.

MadtownPacker
10-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Yeah!! Thats the song!

mraynrand
10-08-2010, 10:20 AM

If I merge these two comments, then, I get - "He was running slowly all over the place in the preseason". :twisted:

And maybe that's accurate. I didn't evaluate his speed. By running all over the place, I just remember he had a lot of hustle and didn't give up on plays. Looked at times like he was late in reacting (Raw). I think he had a 4.8 40, which is pretty slow.

mission
10-08-2010, 02:54 PM

And maybe that's accurate. I didn't evaluate his speed. By running all over the place, I just remember he had a lot of hustle and didn't give up on plays. Looked at times like he was late in reacting (Raw). I think he had a 4.8 40, which is pretty slow.

That's pretty much how I remembered his play fwiw. You gotta think the biggest knock on him is size. At 6' 230lbs, he has the height to make teams almost instant-disqualify him even though that weight (* height) probably means he's built like a brick shit house. More stout than some of our starters.

He kind of has that Zach Thomas thing going on in general. (Even compared a white guy to a black guy. Trying to chill Mad out a bit. ;))

Fritz
10-09-2010, 10:02 AM
He's back up stuff. But I hope he's competent back up stuff.